64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

Crothu

If EverQuest can go 64-bit pretty much any MMO can, the sticking point is not technical, it is purely financial - there's a cost involved to execute that transition.

It's not at all about "can it be done" it's 100% about "willing to invest in making it happen".

A lot of DX9 bugs & glitches are happening in 32 bit games that have been kept running & in development simply through "out of memory" errors, at some point going 64-bit is a cheaper way to fix a bunch of problems than addressing them all individually.

Edited by SkuzBukit

If EverQuest can go 64-bit pretty much any MMO can, the sticking point is not technical, it is purely financial - there's a cost involved to execute that transition.

It's not at all about "can it be done" it's 100% about "willing to invest in making it happen".

A lot of DX9 bugs & glitches are happening in 32 bit games that have been kept running & in development simply through "out of memory" errors, at some point going 64-bit is a cheaper way to fix a bunch of problems than addressing them all individually.

Sure it’s financial, but it’s also technical too.

You have to remember that the version of the Hero Engine BioWare bought was only an alpha version. BioWare did the majority of the custom spaghetti code that’s now in the game and those coders have long since left BioWare.

It’s why they struggle to fix many of the games bugs and why any changes BioWare make in the game can often cause unforeseen and seemingly unrelated bugs.

The only way that BioWare can make SWToR 64bit would be to port to a new engine that natively supports 64 bit.

Which I think everyone could agree, is a very technical and expensive proposition and not something that EA or BioWare would fund.

Especially when you consider they have such limited resources and are struggling to just release a limited expansion that’s no more than what other games consider a small DLC patch.

The only way that BioWare can make SWToR 64bit would be to port to a new engine that natively supports 64 bit.

Including the current versions of Hero, which would probably be the least painful way to go. (Current Hero is 64-bit clean.)

They could also get rid of the two-process thing. (Current reconfigurations that get rid of that do it by moving the second process (the one that renders) *into* the first. That's not a good option.)

Which I think everyone could agree, is a very technical and expensive proposition and not something that EA or BioWare would fund.

I'm not sure the players would be really happy about it either, since it would eat a large portion of SWTOR's dev budget for a significant amount of time, making new content or complete replacements for the game's core combat systems (as featured in, say, cough, 7.X, no, why are you looking at me like that?) difficult for them to build.

Especially when you consider they have such limited resources and are struggling to just release a limited expansion that’s no more than what other games consider a small DLC patch.

A small-content DLC accompanied by a complete overhaul of the game's core combat system. I'm still trying to get my head around why they think that's a good idea.

They can't even make the launcher work for Alder lake people (nvm that 2 users on this forum managed to make a fix) and u want them to port the game to 64 bit? im sorry but.. ahahahaah sure jan.

At this point, multiple MMOs have converted from 32 to 64 bit, most of which are from the 2008 to 2011 era, and are from smaller, free to play companies.

That being said, unless you can convince EA/Bioware that short term, next quarter profits are going to improve by going to 64 bit, they're not going to care. Long term reinvestment isn't going to be flashy enough for the investors, even with proven financial gain or profit protection, is involved.

Guildwars 2 a game from 2012-2013 was dx9 32bit, now it's 64bit dx11.

The performance difference is absurdly huge.

In big scale fights I went from 25-30fps to 80+ easily just because now the game uses all the power from my 5800x and full speed of my 3600mhz ram.

If Gw2 did it swtor can do it too, but I know they won't.

In big scale fights I went from 25-30fps to 80+ easily just because now the game uses all the power from my 5800x and full speed of my 3600mhz ram.

You will Find Jimmy Hoffa in your back yard while digging a hole for a new swimming pool first

Edited by Zergnaut

There are two important difference between swtor and GW2 that prevents it happening

1. GW2 has paid for expansions and a large chunk of their revenue is reinvested in the game. Unlike swtor who has no paid for expansions (and it shows with lack of content) and the revenue goes to funding other games and lining EA executives and investors pockets instead of reinvesting in the game.

2. GW2 used a fully fledged game engine and not an alpha version that had to be fully customised. This made porting GW2 to the 64 bit version of the engine a 1000 times easier than it would be for swtor.

You really can’t compare them by saying GW2 did it, so BioWare can do it when they have such major differences in funding and game engines.