The devs aren't ignoring us.

Grimhand

I heard an approximation of "astronomical" is equivalent to a stat.

How is a word that subjectively describes something as "a lot" in any way equivalent to a specific number intended to give an exact representation of a set of data? Do you think before you type, or do you just spew the first clever-sounding thing that comes to mind?

Oh, sarcasm, the other guy is dumb. Got it!

Edited by dreadpirateandy

No they are not ignoring people they give a Q and A.

How ever they are not answering anything, it's like politics.

I swear I was ending up on the twitter of a political party but after chewing through it I figured out it was actually Bioware.

Personally I would have been happy if they fixed some things before releasing it.

Perhaps proper beta testing with out all the bragging and hype.

It's time to get of the high horse, the game has some serious flaws and people want answers.

Sure Stephen is funny from time to time and he writes a lot with out answering anything but it's getting annoying.

At one point he ridicules the community but on the other hand he is very careful since he can't say anything that would remotely hint what they are going to do.

Ask yourself; if you were a video-game developer who has an average 50 hour work week with stretches beyond 100 in the months prior to a big release, would YOU want to talk to these people? I know I wouldn't.

Since it's my job and my income and brand depend on these people..

Well no I would not want to talk to them, I would hire a guy to do it.

How ever I would communicate with them and just keep them warm with what will happen and when.

I wouldn't play the political game, it's not about what they like it's about how gaming communities and MMO launches work.

You forget that NWN 1 survived because it had such a great community that helped out.

Just like SC1 had a lot of help from RTS veterans as well.

Both times the companies listened and in both cases the releases where horrible.

If you have to go through 100 topics of junk to find some good info so be it, it's your product and these are your costumers.

Don't be insulted when they act annoyed because you as company released a bugged game.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Ask yourself; if you were a video-game developer who has an average 50 hour work week with stretches beyond 100 in the months prior to a big release, would YOU want to talk to these people? I know I wouldn't.

Doesn't matter if they want to or not. They committed and so did we. The lines of communication need to remain open.

nobody cares about what the great lord Stephen Reid has to say.

the list of things ****ed with this game is way to long to give them the benefit of doubt.

absolutely agree.

i'm done with this game come january 20th if this game doesnt come up to modern mmo standards.

so much of this game is unfinished, empty, and just plain broken.

Since it's my job and my income and brand depend on these people..

Well no I would not want to talk to them, I would hire a guy to do it.

How ever I would communicate with them and just keep them warm with what will happen and when.

I wouldn't play the political game, it's not about what they like it's about how gaming communities and MMO launches work.

You forget that NWN 1 survived because it had such a great community that helped out.

Just like SC1 had a lot of help from RTS veterans as well.

Both times the companies listened and in both cases the releases where horrible.

If you have to go through 100 topics of junk to find some good info so be it, it's your product and these are your costumers.

Don't be insulted when they act annoyed because you as company released a bugged game.

You seem to be under the assumption that they're not talking to you because they feel insulted. The reality is that doing it is a complete waste of their time and thus, as you say, they hire people to do it for them.

It doesn't matter how often and how regularly they keep up with updates and the like, there will always be a loud (not large, just loud) segment of the community that is in a constant state of impatience (a lot of complaining about lack of developer attention tends to be a result).

They have to remain political because the playerbase forces them to be; if they announce anything, ANYTHING, and it ends up falling behind schedule, there is fallout as a result of it. It's always best to just keep people ignorant until its done, much as Blizzard has learned to do. If you don't want politics, don't do anything that involves human beings.

absolutely agree.

i'm done with this game come january 20th if this game doesnt come up to modern mmo standards.

so much of this game is unfinished, empty, and just plain broken.

I could not disagree more. I won't go into details because it's pointless, much like this thread.

Myth: "It only takes 2 minutes for them to post an ETA/update/opinion/etc!"

They rely mostly on community managers to forward them relevant info so they can get to it later, unfortunately, by the time they are done their actual jobs, and get to sit down and read their e-mails/memos they won't have that much time to sift through the dozens of threads they get linked, let alone isolate posts and respond.

herein lies one of the biggest problems with most mmos I've seen in development and in early release.

Unfortunately far far too many Community Relations people allow for their own personal biases and tastes to influence just what concerns of the community get passed on, and/or under-emphasize or overemphasize how important a particular issue is to the community based on their personal tastes and biases.

/+1 :)

What with the holiday season, I'm surprised BW has been able to get a bug fix patch out as fast as they did.

IMO, SWToR should never have been put out in time for Christmas. It needed at least another 3 months before it really should have been released. But it is my bet that BW had little say in the release date. I believe EA and LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the holiday season whether it was ready or not. it's been in the works for 5 years and a ton of cash was invested. It's my guess that BW received a memo saying put the game out or look at a funding cut or a game cancellation.

We got a completely new build just 6 weeks (if I remember correctly) before EGA. This build required a character wipe. This led me to believe the new build involved major database changes. Because or the rush to get the game ready for EGA, it is also my belief that many of the features that were cut from the game during beta were cut due to lack of time to debug them properly.

The lack of DX10+ support I also contribute to the lack of time before EGA. The crappy UI I can come up with no excuse for. A fully configurable UI should have been in place years ago on a game that has been in development for 5 years.

Personally, I still love the game for its story lines and voice acting. I hate the space combat and see no reason to waste my time with it. I hope that once the holiday season is over and the servers have been stabilized, queues resolved and memory leaks fixed (Taris is still a major issue IMO) the Devs will focus on adding what should have been already in the game, in to the game.

As several have already said, its been less than 2 weeks since the game was released. Of that time, we've had Christmas. BW has gotten out several bug fixes and a patch. Give them time and get off their case.

I am personally hoping that BW (on behalf of EA and LucasArts) gives us all some free game time based on when we activated our accounts (post Dec. 20), but can live without it. If they haven't got the game up to my requirements by the time my free time runs out (in my judgement), then I will simply cancel my account until such time as the game meets my requirements.

Rushing a game out too early is something I've grown to expect from EA, and after LucasArts part in the SWG fiasco, well lets just say that I hope those responsible at EA and LucasArts get what we all believe they should have coming to them . . . :csw_fett:

I'm willing to grant them some latitude and frankly I don't need them to talk directly to me. All I ask is for the very rare occasional comment from an actual developer and not just from the PR people on the other side of the building. A weekly or monthly 'dev chat' would do wonders.

Speaking as someone who works in software development, you don't want to talk to us. We have people to talk to customers for us for a reason - most of us aren't very good at it.

Bug reports, feature requests, advanced support queries, etc. get fed to us by front line support and customer relations people; responses flow back to the customers via the same conduit.

Reading this thread, it's painfully easy to tell which of you work for a living and which of you still live with your parents and have never done a day of real work in your lives.

For all you privileged babies, let's make something clear. They KNOW there is a laundry list of C and B class bugs. They have made it clear that it is being worked on. A lot of the issues will likely be addressed in the next major patch. What more do you want? Fixes right now? Well, what time of year is it? Oh, that's right. The holidays. Where I work right now, taking tech support calls, I am one of two agents in. There are usually about 6 on a day like today. So yeah. Just because they aren't hotfixing one bug per day doesn't mean they don't care and they aren't working on it.

They have my full support. I will be subscribing to this game, as will my friends and my wife. Trolls on the Internet can't make people change their minds about liking this game.

I strongly disagree. I paid for the delux digital version for early game access and still cant get the launcher to correctly instal the game without crashing! Ive sent countless emails to support and read ALL the forums. And yes I have tried everything from mem checks to manual dl's to mem swaps to redl/reinstal (3 times)!!!! I have had 2 replys from tech support both useless just asking for logs and specs from me which i send and wait.............

I spent £70 on this game and I have been ignored/fobbed off.

I strongly disagree. I paid for the delux digital version for early game access and still cant get the launcher to correctly instal the game without crashing! Ive sent countless emails to support and read ALL the forums. And yes I have tried everything from mem checks to manual dl's to mem swaps to redl/reinstal (3 times)!!!! I have had 2 replys from tech support both useless just asking for logs and specs from me which i send and wait.............

I spent £70 on this game and I have been ignored/fobbed off.

Have you tried deleting everything in your temp folder under your profile?

Most applications will fail there and that has to be cleaned out for the installation to start fresh.

And if you are crashing, you most definitively have something on your system that isn't playing well with the launcher.

You meet the hardware and software requirements to play the game? I have to ask, don't get upset at that question. I have spent countless hours assuming the user did the right things to only find out that the simple issues was something like that.

Check all running apps, disable them, including antivirus software. Then check performance.

Check your eventlogs to see what the error message is. It may identify the DLL or application that it is having fault with.

Edited by Fraxture