Please Rework The Dye Module System

AlienExplorer

At the moment, the dye system has primary dyes and secondary dyes and double modules that have a primary and a secondary color. There are 11 colors and 5 shades:

Light / Pale

Medium

[None]

Deep

Dark

Black

Blue

Brown

Gray

Green

Orange

Pink

Red

Purple

Yellow

White

That's 55 combinations for the primary and secondary modules, and 55x55 possible combinations for the double modules giving us a possible 3,135 possible modules, which as you might suspect, not all are in the game.

The armors have one dye slot, so you either equip a primary dye module, a secondary dye module or a double dye module, and with not all the possible combinations in the game, you are limited to what you can do.

What I suggest is to remove the double dye modules from the game and make all 55 possible colors and shades available either from the Cartel Market, crafting or from NPC drops as we have them now.

Also change the dye module slot on the armors to have two dye slots instead of one. Make one a primary slot and the other a secondary slot.

This would give those dying their armors 3,025 possible combinations with the colors, 55 for the primary slot and 55 for the secondary slot. It would allow players to change either the primary color or the secondary color without needing to change the other slot.

How difficult would this be to implement? It would require a slight graphical change in the armor modification window for each armor, adding a second dye slot, and make it possible to place a dye module in there which then changes the secondary colors on that armor. The current dye slot would have to change only the primary color. I don't think it would affect previewing, but who knows if changing the way the slots work would affect previewing. NPC drops, Cartel Market and crafting would need dye modules and schematics added.

Please change the dye system.

Edited by AlienExplorer

Whilst I appreciate the complexity of the various dye combinations, I do feel that cartel market (ie non crafted) dyes should be collectible. That is you can pay a certain number of coins to unlock them like you can crystals. I think it is obscene that a game will happily sell a player a dye mod for 1500 coins and not allow them to unlock it to use on other characters. Recall the tunings that couldn't be collected?

The OP's suggestion sounds very similar to Guild Wars II (and I presume Guild Wars I, which I haven't played), where dyes come in single colours, and are collectable and available across the whole account once acquired, armour has various separate dyeable areas, and you can put any dye into any area.

How about this:

Separate dye modules into ‘modules’ and ‘packs’. A module would be an empty mod that you insert one or two packs into (with one primary slot and one secondary slot), with the packs being a single dye color (either restricted to being a primary or a secondary, or else usable as either slot when inserted into a module). You would insert the packs of your choice into a module, and then apply that module to a piece of armor. Applying the module would color the armor the same as it does now.

You could insert or remove packs into/from a module all day long (this would allow previewing how it would look on the armor you’re intending to use it on), but once the module’s applied to a piece of armor, that’s it, single use. Module and both packs currently in it when you apply it to armor are destroyed if you remove/replace them. Alternately, changing the dye packs in a module would destroy the pack in the slot you’re replacing.

What I suggest is to remove the double dye modules from the game and make all 55 possible colors and shades available either from the Cartel Market, crafting or from NPC drops as we have them now.

Also change the dye module slot on the armors to have two dye slots instead of one. Make one a primary slot and the other a secondary slot.

While I already hear the crafters (incl. me) crying out about this, I have to say that I immediately like this idea - as long as they would get the preview window done correctly (with two dye slots showing properly).