Enter Bioware, the company that punishes you for purchasing their game!

Brene

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two problems with letting everyone who pre-ordered get in at the same time:

1. Everybody logs in as soon as they can. Login servers cannot cope with it and crash. Players all rage at Bioware, and many ragequit before they start. When the login servers are eventually stable enough to let people log in, the game servers have huge queues.

2. Once everyone is in-game and questing on their starter planets, those zones are as overcrowded as a bank in Shanghai that is advertising free money. Mob spawns are over-camped, the game servers are laggy as hell. More players rage at Bioware and ragequit before getting off the starter planet.

Two problems with staggering the EGA access:

1. Bioware or EA have to decide how to form the queue - first come, first served, or higher value order = priority. In a rare moment of sense, equitability wins out over the corporate "money talks" approach, and they decide not to prioritize EGA for Collectors Edition owners, instead giving first bite to the people who have been salivating over this for 6 months or more.

2. Hmm, I cannot come up with a second problem, and I am one of the Collectors Edition people that you apparently feel should have got in first.

the logic part of my brain is with you

but the selfish said is pissed since i PREORDERD the 1st day and i assumed i would be in game by now and TOOK off work

there must have been a whole hell of a lot of 1st day pre orders if i ordered the first day and i still cant log in ... feel really sorry for the late july early august people who assumed rightly so they were in the morning and took off work since bioware could not even have the nicety to send advanced email to who was at least in the first wave

It seems not everyone who got in to early access were day 1 pre-orders.

Having worked in software development for a number of years, the phased release is a fantastic way to manage the load on a release of this size.

At launch you get a massive spike of concurrent players - much more than you would see during regular gaming once the game is bedded in. This is a great way to manage that spike while getting a good view on what the server requirements will be long-term.

The last thing anyone wants is either massive queues and not being able to get on with their friends (The guild allocation thing was genius too). The second last thing anyone wants is having them deal with the spike by adding too many servers - half of which become ghost-towns when the game beds in.

They have also called it an early access and not guaranteed access at a particular date (other than the actual launch-date of the 20th) - so people should know what to expect. I also expect that the vast majority of players pre-ordered (as opposed to will buy after launch) so really what we have is a phased launch over the period of a week. They have simple used the carrot of 'early access' to get people to buy into it.

Genius.

Think those few days with the forums closed caused some folks to build up alot of anger and whine. There were bound to be people who felt they got screwed no matter how they decided to do a staggered deployment or if they even had it wide open and ended up with a 2hour+ queue. Perhaps you should cancel to teach them a lesson?

While I can understand the "staggered" early access (simply because of server issues) I can also understand people being a bit miffed too. If you had your pre-order code late and entered it in late that might mean you won't get early access as soon as others, because the access is staggered who's to say that by the time they get around to you you might only have 1 or 2 days of early access playtime? This is kind of unfair since you paid the same amount of money as those who have the full 5-8 days of access. The answer might be to give something extra to those who don't get their early access code until very late in the game. I would be interested to hear other peoples views on this.

-Flain

1: You're not paying for Early Access. Even if you're charged a deposit, you could cancel the pre-order and get the deposit back, so it's till free. That deposit goes towards your game purchase itself.

2: The staggering has been known since day one. There's no cause to be miffed about it, because unless people didn't actually get themselves all the information they had to have known about it.

Well I'm kicking myself for ordering day one but missing the part about the registering of the code being linked to early access. I think that could have been in much bigger text since it is MMO/industry changing.

*sigh* They will still get my 6month sub once the game goes live but I not happy about waiting, especially after the $150 CE price tag. :(

inb4 cry and ib4l

Just putting this out there, Bioware is the first company in MMO history to do this staggered early access system (smart companies just let everyone in... RIFT did it just fine with around 750k preorders by simply adding servers... I played for nearly 15 hours straight that day [nerd squad])

So this also makes Bioware the first company to tell you to screw off and wait LONGER to play their game even though you paid the SAME amount of money (if not more) as other players whom get to play first because they happened to pay first.

Essentially what Bioware is saying is DON'T PREORDER OUR GAME AFTER AUGUST OR YOU'RE JUST PREORDERING IT SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY LATER AHURRHURRHURR. With NO confirmation of the lowest amount of EAG time possible (I'm going to assume it will be a minimum of 4 days for EVERYONE including those ordering in Dec) they leave open the possibility that you could preorder today and get less than 12 hours of EAG time. Seeing as you pay 5.00 for EAG time, there is no reason to pre-order at this point and pick the game up 5.00 cheaper off Origin on the 20th.

Tell me how this is not a brand of social elitism at it's finest?

Like I said, inb4 'cry more' 'troll' 'nerd'

I know I won't get in until the 15th + as I pre-ordered on the 19th of August, I'm not upset about that as I didn't plan on getting in until then anyway. If I get in later than that? I'll probably be upset.

I have to agree that this staggering is idiotic. They've had a ton of time to prepare for this; development has been going on for years. I can't imagine why their server and network infrastructure couldn't be able too handle a million.

Meh It said "YOU MAY GET IN 5 DAYS EARLY" so i figure as I finally decided to preorder the Deluxe ill be lucky to get in Dec 19th 8pm EST lol!

http://imgur.com/hi25g

took this screen shot of the origin store right now.

Seems pretty misleading to me. as it's telling you "IF YOU PRE ORDER, YOU COULD PLAY RIGHT NOW" but then you buy and you cant. So my point still stands.

I have to agree that this staggering is idiotic. They've had a ton of time to prepare for this; development has been going on for years. I can't imagine why their server and network infrastructure couldn't be able too handle a million.

I agree.

I mean obviously, you know more about their server capacity/why they planned this than they do, right?

Once again, never said I expected to be in today... IN FACT I stated I DID NOT expect to be in today. Sigh, the illiterate youth of our world. Joyous day :).

Then what's the problem? If you have a problem with how Bioware operates, don't support them. That's how capitalism works.

I agree.

I mean obviously, you know more about their server capacity/why they planned this than they do, right?

Considering they let in 750k people at once during the beta weekend and their servers didn't crash and burn, i'd say letting in around 20k for the first wave is pretty idiotic.

I think it is ok if bioware told clearly before that will be a queue based on pre-order time. But I didn't found any official news on the website home page before and no e-mail, sorry I didn't have time view forum a lot.

Now I feel disappointed and bioware not ready and not care customer. Cant add severs? Cant send a e-mail explain? Cant count how many pre-orders? LOL

If you can't imagine it, you don't have a basic understanding of the factors involved. But let's just start with the fact that launch is an entirely unique situation and not what you do your infrastructure planning around.

Edited by Inarai