What is a dual spec exactly?

Skodan

So what exactly is it, because you can already spec through multiple trees if you like, but you wont be able to get to the top tier of a tree.

so is a dual spec basically allowing you to switch over your skills quickly from say dps to heal without having to go to a respec person or what?

can someone explain to me what a dual spec really is, thanks

The ability to jump between two different trees/specs without paying to do it. Also allows you to play BOTH advanced classes of with class.

Example: Your Sith Warrior could press a button and jump between Juggernaut and Marauder.

NO! There will be no Advanced Class swapping. It would only be for the Talent Trees under the Advanced Class you picked.

It would allow you 2 different Talent Tree versions saved to hot swap instead of paying to respend your points down one of the other 3 lines. It allows more versatility.

It allows nothing. It ruined Rift. LoTRO perhapse did it best and it was never without cost even there.

Yes, that's pretty much it; a way to switch between two selected specializations, without having to spend money or revisit a trainer.

It's a band-aid fix to a wider problem. It satisfies the broad audience of people who might want to only do TWO things (e.g. a DPS class that wants to PvE and PvP), but not the smaller, but still significant audience of people that want to do three or more (a tank/DPS hybrid that likes to PvE tank, PvP tank and PvP DPS, for instance).

The credit-cost for respeccing is as outdated as the VHS. Why in God's name would you want to disincentivize people trying all of the different options their class has to offer? It's like being given a bunch of legos and being told you can only stick the same colours together.

Edited by Bibdy

It is the ability to have 2 fully different specs. So I could have Pyrotech (DPS for BH) I can also have Bodyguard (Healing). So I could fill two possible roles for a group.

It does make grouping a little quicker, but most believe that if dual spec is in a game everybody that can have a tank or heal spec will, and this just isn't the case. Healing and Tanking are a mindset and only certain types of people do it. So while it does help slightly it isn't normally noticeable.

Yes, that is pretty much what dual spec is.

It gives us the opportunity to fully experience our chosen advanced class by giving us the option to swap between specs easily.

For example, I play a concealment Operative. It's super fun for questing and PvP. I don't heal FPs because I can't afford the cost to respec between the two. With dual spec, I would be able to easily swap over to my healing spec when I want to do an FP and then back to my stealthy melee DPS spec when I want to quest/PvP.

NO! There will be no Advanced Class swapping. It would only be for the Talent Trees under the Advanced Class you picked.

Ok???

I'm not advocating for that...I'm just guessing that's what it would be in SWTOR.

TBH, I don't want any of that. Picking advanced class and tree is and should be a meaningful decision. If you want to change that, there should be limitations and COST.

The ability to jump between two different trees/specs without paying to do it. Also allows you to play BOTH advanced classes of with class.

Example: Your Sith Warrior could press a button and jump between Juggernaut and Marauder.

This is not correct. Dual spec is the ability to swap between, say a tank specced guardian, and a dps specced guardian without having to run back to the respec guy and pay a fee.

You basically switch between 2 set skill tree configurations

Also allows you to play BOTH advanced classes of with class.

I don't think anyone's talking about allowing this. The advanced classes are different enough to be essentially seperate classes with some shared abilities.

Yea I agree with this. It's posted enough times in the game that you need to THINK before you choose your AC, I see no reason you should be able to swap it on the fly.

However the ability to have multiple specs of trees WITHIN your AC makes sense. For example I play a BH Merc and I could be a healer or a DPSer. So it would make sense to be able to switch between those.

Edited by Vesperascit

I don't think anyone's talking about allowing this. The advanced classes are different enough to be essentially seperate classes with some shared abilities.

Clearly lol.

For the record, the advanced classes are NOT "different enough" in some classes. Sith and Jedi Warrior is a great example. The core difference is the number of lightsabers you wield - most of the core abilities are the same. Even the specs within the Adv. class don't play that differently in terms of the player's combat mechanics.

So what exactly is it, because you can already spec through multiple trees if you like, but you wont be able to get to the top tier of a tree.

so is a dual spec basically allowing you to switch over your skills quickly from say dps to heal without having to go to a respec person or what?

can someone explain to me what a dual spec really is, thanks

At the risk of sounding like an *** it is something most do not want here, A Dual spec allows you to have two different "specs" with different skillsets.

The devs hinted we might get it at sometime but it will not be between the ACs but within your chosen AC.

Clearly lol.

For the record, the advanced classes are NOT "different enough" in some classes. Sith and Jedi Warrior is a great example. The core difference is the number of lightsabers you wield - most of the core abilities are the same. Even the specs within the Adv. class don't play that differently in terms of the player's combat mechanics.

They play similarly in that they're both melee classes. But the role they fill is pretty dissimilar.

Dual spec is switching between 2 different talent trees with the click of a button without having to pay(besides paying the initial cost of the second spec itself) it is a very good addition to mmos and i think it should be added to this game for sure. Idk why wveryone keeps saying that dual spec will ruin this game. If it will please explain to me EXACTLY how it will ruin this game. Otherwise just shut up cause it wont

Clearly lol.

I would call adding a new teir of armor proficiency a significant difference.

I would call adding a new teir of armor proficiency a significant difference.

lol so the fact that one wears heavy armor and CAN tank vs. one wearing medium armor that CAN'T tank is a significant gameplay difference for the player pressing buttons?

I respectfully disagree.

Clearly lol.

Not really, at least for a Sith Warrior.

Juggernauts get the ability to use a Sunder Armor style ability, gain access to different forms (Soreshu, a defensive form), can talent into various stuns, etc.

A Marauder can apply bleeds to his target, attacks with two weapons, and gains other special skills. Additionally, Marauders use a different resource system in building up Fury that Juggernauts do not use.

They are distinctly different classes and play styles.

Not really, at least for a Sith Warrior.

Juggernauts get the ability to use a Sunder Armor style ability, gain access to different forms (Soreshu, a defensive form), can talent into various stuns, etc.

A Marauder can apply bleeds to his target, attacks with two weapons, and gains other special skills. Additionally, Marauders use a different resource system in building up Fury that Juggernauts do not use.

They are distinctly different classes and play styles.

I'm sorry, i just don't see how that's different gameplay for the person behind the keyboard. Played both Juggy and Marauder in Beta - and I'm a Marauder now. They played exactly the same for me.

The BIGGEST and only significant difference was that when I was a Juggy, I tanked...when Marauder, not.

I don't think we should be able to swap between advanced classes, except maybe ONE time below level 30 for a hefty fee if you find out you really don't like the playstyle of the one you picked.

I DO think we should be able to swap between a DPS and a Healing spec on our Operative/Sorcerer/Mercenary for example.

No. You've got it wrong.

This isn't what people are asking for.

People want the ability to have two different specs within their class. I.E. a healing spec AND a dps spec as a sage.