The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

We also want the game in Spanish.

Thorkarim

Spanish is the second languaje of the world, and the game its translated to german and french first? We're many playing this and many speaking spanish around the world, at least we want subtittles... If you speak spanish, all flaming on party or general, the game is good, but i wan't understand all the dialogues well and history. My money is the same as in france, germany, usa and i have the right to understand it and play at ease. Edited by Thorkarim

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have a right to it. That being said, it should certainly be available--in subtitles--to Spanish speakers. I don't think that's unreasonable.

And you have right for play it in your language? Why? Your money and my money was diferent when we buy the game? The better solution of this is : Don't sell games on spanish speakers countries that are in other languages and don't have spanish language.

But this will never happen, leads looses of millions of money for companies of games...

Edited by Thorkarim

They made it in English because USA is thier primary market, and their secondary market is Europe, where French and German is almost as widely spoken as English. Spanish is mostly just spoken in South America, which is not a big market at all for games.

Maybe Spanish will be included, but it's not as highly prioritised as the three already included.

P.S. I don't speak English natively either, so don't call me biased.

Edited by xeeki

They made it in English because USA is thier primary market, and their secondary market is Europe, where French and German is almost as widely spoken as English. Spanish is mostly just spoken in South America, which is not a big market at all for games.

Maybe Spanish will be included, but it's not as highly prioritised as the three already included.

This... BioWare is not the government. You don't have the right to any of their stuff... You have the choice to buy it from them or to not buy it from them.

They'll chase markets where the money is, as they should as a business, not provide equal language access, unless they think there is additional revenue versus expense in it.

Oh, btw: there are a billion or so Cantonese speakers that might argue Spanish as the 2nd language of the world... not to mention those that speak Hindi...

Edited by pjskull

Actually, both France and Germany trump Spain in terms of population. If you want to flaunt your language, you're gonna have to depend on those Latin American folks to make your case. :/

Your concern is valid, but you aren't going to get anywhere by insulting people on the forums. If you really want to do more than complain, you're gonna have to do a little bit more research and find the right channels to get your point across to the right people.

Actually, both France and Germany trump Spain in terms of population. If you want to flaunt your language, you're gonna have to depend on those Latin American folks to make your case. :/

Your concern is valid, but you aren't going to get anywhere by insulting people on the forums. If you really want to do more than complain, you're gonna have to do a little bit more research and find the right channels to get your point across to the right people.

Lol i don't insult any people..

I'm spanish as well but I love to hear the original voice acting in english. Anyway, it'd be amazing if the game had spanish subtitles. I don't think BioWare will translate the game completely. Mass Effect is only translated to a few languages but has spanish subtitles, which is great, I hope they'll do the same here in the near future.

So, I support spanish subtitles. :D

exactly. south america and for that part, the southern parts of europe arent a major part of their market as such they dont bother to translate it to spanish. mostly because the more to the south you go, the poor people become. and if the people are poor, they dont buy the game.

Edited by Beardedragon

Seamos honestos (Lets be honest)... Spain is not the biggest market for MMOs... or videogames in general... Germany, France and the UK are the top 3 consumers of videogames in europe, so yeah, its normal that the game is in french and german before spanish.

That said, Spain is the fourth or maybe fifth (consumer in Europe) depending on how the market has grown or decrease this year, which in my opinion, its still an important number of players.

Taking in factor that spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world, i think that adding subtlitles could spread their market and gain more players (in Spain and South A.).

But translating the WHOLE game to Spanish... thats too much, mainly because the spanish from America and the one from Europe are different (believe it or not...).

Another thing to add, all spanish voice actors are HORRIBLE!

TL;DR : Spanish subtitles would have been nice, hope to see them in the future.

Edited by Deviriot

And you have right for play it in your language? Why? Your money and my money was diferent when we buy the game? The better solution of this is : Don't sell games on spanish speakers countries that are in other languages and don't have spanish language.

But this will never happen, leads looses of millions of money for companies of games...

It just so happens that the people who made this game speak "my" language....so luck of the draw there pal.

I dotn think they nee dto go through EVERY langauge in the world just so people dont feel left out.

I dotn think they nee dto go through EVERY langauge in the world just so people dont feel left out.

While there's nothing to indicate that they'll make a localized version for every corner of the world, you can be pretty certain that various European language packs are going to crop up eventually. The top contenders are usually Russian and - you guessed it - Spanish.

Not that 'eventually' is going to be anytime soon.

Edited by Zealuu

Spanish is the second languaje of the world, and the game its translated to german and french first? We're many playing this and many speaking spanish around the world, at least we want subtittles... If you speak spanish, all flaming on party or general, the game is good, but i wan't understand all the dialogues well and history. My money is the same as in france, germany, usa and i have the right to understand it and play at ease.

ahem. Germany is the third biggest gaming market in the world, after the USA and Japan (and well, I think the Star Wars lore is just not as popular in Japan...) and the French client is probably not just for France either, but Canada aswell... while I know players from Spain, I think the overall number of actually Spanish speaking players is far lower than for the other languages...

actually German is the most-spoken native language in Europe. (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, parts of Italy, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein...) :p

that being said I'd definitely be pro-spanisch-client, even if it's just for me to practice and realise my Spanish is pretty rusty *cough*

They also speak Spanish in Spain, if i recall correctly.

Spain has a big dept and no AAA rating anymore, most of their people live in poverty, of course Bioware concentrates on countries where people can actually buy the game.

something tells me all you know about Spain is paella...

@enako

going by that logic the game should get a translation into Mandarin first

Edited by amnie

First of all

Germany has a law that game needs to be translated into german to be able to sell there...(prolly VO aswell then)

French i guess also not 100% sure.

It would not help game get more subs... game will get more subs if its a good game if someone only buys a game if it is translated into their language we dont need them in the 1st place and company shouldnt want them... since their communication array is limited if they do not or do not want to understand and communicate in the most common internet language which is English.

The OP has a slight problem with attitude, in the way he is showing his case, now I am not saying he is wrong, but, I read a lot of replies like "I want it cos Spain is better, and don't you forget it or dare to imply hat we are not important", especially in regard of his south america argument, since those two hate the sight of one another for some mentally backward reason (My ex partner used to be from Argentina, and always expressed the hate between Spanish and SA people), but anyway, that is slightly off topic.

Now let me give you a small piece of advice:

I am also from a non English speaking EU country, and when I Was a teen, I was struggling to play games because they were almost never translated, and where I come from, we have an unfortunate similar attitude as spanish people do, which is basically "why should I bother learning their language when they can learn ours because we are so great?", and as result, we have every single movie dubbed and new generation struggle learning English and are far behind every other country in EU because of this.

And let me tell you, dubbed movies, are the worst atrocities that happened to cinema, you loose 50% of the actor performance and the original humour is adapted usually very poorly (You cannot expect a country to have the same humour as another).

When I came yo UK 9 years ago, I have finally truly started understating how "dubbing" is backward and really bad for you (From the movies, from games, commedy, etc), even when I go back visit, I cannot watch tv, because I just want to pull my hair out from the amount of injustice done to the original actor when I hear the translated version.

Also being forced since a young age to either learn to read English or get stuffed, helped me develop English much earlier than any of my classmates, and I think it is a far better way to learn the language rather than spending countless boring hours in a room as a student and learn nothing.

So bottom line is, I understand your augment, and I hope you get it sorted, but I think it would be for the best if more people learned English.

Edited by Black_Rabbit