A "Ludicrous and Limited" Path to Tier 5 (a.k.a. the Case for Bolster to 258)

Joonbeams

But Totem, these things (crafted pieces or the MM GFTM material drops) aren’t going to be entering the economy any time soon..snip... that’s over 2 years!

Rofl, 2 years mate, are you insane? Raiders have unassembled components too you know, like everyone else, but more of them. So they will be able to gear up with UC and from MM gods on top of that. They will have gear drops to spare.

I wouldn't underestimate the current stock of CMT's either. It's more than you like to admit, if you admit any at all.

So you say 2 years...i will say 2-3 weeks.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rofl, 2 years mate, are you insane? Raiders have unassembled components too you know, like everyone else, but more of them. So they will be able to gear up with UC and from MM gods on top of that. They will have gear drops to spare.

I wouldn't underestimate the current stock of CMT's either. It's more than you like to admit, if you admit any at all.

So you say 2 years...i will say 2-3 weeks.

I browsed the GTN on Satele Shan a week ago. There were maybe 200 for sale at a cost of half a billion credits. 424 are needed for just one suit.

The 2 year figure is via crafting alone. I’m well aware that MM GFTM raiders will have as much access to the masterwork shard pathway as the rest of us. That gear is bound on pickup, hence it can’t be sold on the GTN, hence it won’t be a source of massive income the way Totem is trying to portray. Yes it could be disintegrated, but people aren’t going to be spending masterwork shards just to get 258 gear they can RE for a tiny chance to get a Forgotten Something. So, I give your reply a 0/10 for reading comprehension or 4/10 for trolling, depending on your goal.

I browsed the GTN on Satele Shan a week ago. There were maybe 200 for sale at a cost of half a billion credits. 424 are needed for just one suit.

The 2 year figure is via crafting alone. I’m well aware that MM GFTM raiders will have as much access to the masterwork shard pathway as the rest of us. That gear is bound on pickup, hence it can’t be sold on the GTN, hence it won’t be a source of massive income the way Totem is trying to portray. Yes it could be disintegrated, but people aren’t going to be spending masterwork shards just to get 258 gear they can RE for a tiny chance to get a Forgotten Something. So, I give your reply a 0/10 for reading comprehension or 4/10 for trolling, depending on your goal.

Did you also browse in players inventories, legacy banks, guild banks? Of course not how could you?

But you did your GTN research Sherlock :rak_03:.

Let's review this again around xmas and see if there is any gear sold on GTN, what say you?

Till then i give you 0/10 for detective skills and -1/10 for the 2 years estimation.

Did you also browse in players inventories, legacy banks, guild banks? Of course not how could you?

But you did your GTN research Sherlock :rak_03:.

Let's review this again around xmas and see if there is any gear sold on GTN, what say you?

Till then i give you 0/10 for detective skills and -1/10 for the 2 years estimation.

I will of course review it in the weeks following 5.10. I choose not to queue for group ranked for easy CMTs, because there aren't enough pvp'ers in my guild and I'm not that good anyway. I have 33 CMTs personally, none of my 12 command rank 300 toons are in full 240 augments, let alone 236, and the number of CMTs in our guild bank is in the double digits, but we are a small guild with only about 50 individual accounts. I'm not the only one who has posted that these CMT requirements are astronomically high. If a guild MM raid group is spending all their time in group ranked to farm CMTs, when are they supposed to progress through MM GFTM, and grind out MWS on Ossus? Because, even if they are sitting on a bajillion CMTs, they still have all those Forgotten Something's they have to loot, and again, I'm only referring to the crafting pathway, not accounting for the masterwork shard pathway, which by design won't enter the economy.

As you say, we shall see.

All this arguing and it still boils down to most important question - how long they plan this new gear to last before 6.0 expansion is released considering they made it this grindy to get for almost everyone? Another year? Will the remaining population still bother by then? It IS getting worse every month, a grindy new gear Tier won't help at all

All this arguing and it still boils down to most important question - how long they plan this new gear to last before 6.0 expansion is released considering they made it this grindy to get for almost everyone? Another year? Will the remaining population still bother by then? It IS getting worse every month, a grindy new gear Tier won't help at all

this is what i've been saying all along. apparently somehow such questions are not conducive or relevant to the discussion.

this is what i've been saying all along. apparently somehow such questions are not conducive or relevant to the discussion.

Exactly. For every one person that likes it, there will be just as many who don’t like it. All the white knights trying to justify it fail to comprehend that the game can’t afford to lose more players.

Exactly. For every one person that likes it, there will be just as many who don’t like it. All the white knights trying to justify it fail to comprehend that the game can’t afford to lose more players.

Agreed! Fortunately, there is only one white knight on this forum, and he hasn't posted in a while.

Perhaps we define the term differently, but every -- excuse me -- EVERY PERSON (minus one) on this forum has suggested changes and improvements to 5.10.

Dasty the Grey Knight

P.S. Your numbers about "thousands of hours" for UC acquisition belong in a "galaxy far, far away."

P.P.S. Grey suits me! :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

I posted earlier in this thread regarding question #1. As a full set of 258 gear adds about 5% to your stat pool, a single piece, at a stat budget of around 8000, only adds 28 points. This is 28 points of mastery + endurance + power/defense + tertiary. Now, we know that on PTS, 252 and 258 gear set boni aren't stacking with 230-248 pieces, but we must assume that is simply bugged, since it would break progression, and no one in their right mind would swap out a 6 piece bonus for 28 points of stats. Even if we assumed, which is incorrect, that all 28 points were tertiary stats, and even if we assumed, that it was all critical, at best, its adding a few points of minimum damage on auto-crits. We're talking a couple hundredths of percentage points on critical chance and surge. Every point of damage can help, yes. But, remember that all damage is an RNG within a range. Thus, while someone in 258 gear has a higher minimum than someone in 248 gear, the maximum value for someone in 248 gear is still higher than the minimum for someone in 258 gear. Therefore, excluding skill and class differences, RNG is far more important in determining the outcome of a 1v1 pvp encounter than the difference between someone in full 248 gear vs someone with 248 and one piece of 258 gear, even in the case of auto-crits.

I admit I’m behind on this threads which I started, but can you point to the math behind the “5%”? Seems pretty low to me at first blush, but I’ve seen you refer to this in a couple of places (I’m not doubting per se, I just like to see math). Thanks.

I admit I’m behind on this threads which I started, but can you point to the math behind the “5%”? Seems pretty low to me at first blush, but I’ve seen you refer to this in a couple of places (I’m not doubting per se, I just like to see math). Thanks.

KendraP referenced it in the other 258 gearing thread, here at the top of page 14.

The main thread where I originally did the math, was here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=955207

To qualify again - all i did was add every stat on every piece together and take a percent difference from the previous tier. The meaningfulness of what i found is questionable - a 5% increase in total stat pool is definately not a 5% damage increase.

Additionally the gear will not help you reach the next alacrity tier

Edited by KendraP

The main thread where I originally did the math, was here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=955207

To qualify again - all i did was add every stat on every piece together and take a percent difference from the previous tier. The meaningfulness of what i found is questionable - a 5% increase in total stat pool is definately not a 5% damage increase.

Additionally the gear will not help you reach the next alacrity tier

You also need to take into account that Augments will only bolster to 252 and will also be counted as total gear lvl.

Which means a lot of those main stats from Augments will be useless and may even lose you some secondary stats due to how Bolster works.

So when you add 258 gear with 236-240 Augments, there will be a much bigger increase compared to 252 bolstered gear than 5%. That will equate to even more damage.