I hope this game never ends.

xordevoreaux

I've got bad news for y'all. This game is Doomed. Doomed I say. It will end in a while and I'm 100% sure.

Every game I liked is gone starting with The Matrix On Line, SWG, Tabula Rasa, Some died weeks (maybe months) from release, Like The Agency. Not saying every game I played is gone, there are some around that I've left. I stopped being engaged, and it was too much effort to get back into them.

Its hard to make a game now, the bottom line is even more important, folks will slag it for something that isn't done to their satisfaction, or WoW did it better, or FFXIV or w/e. And the loudest get noticed, rumours take flight, populations decrease and the studio finally says "lights out' and there goes another game I liked.

It would be nice if the game never ends, but as long as I'm here, it could be on 'shaky ground'.:)

I hope to see bioware modify this game, take all the mp elements out and balance out the heroics, flashpoints, uprisings, star fortress and operations appropriate to single player with multiple companions in the mix. give it a main menu and have it launch from the origin laucher using your account. only time it is online is to verify the game is legit and to access your character data and so on.

but something like that will take not only time, but man power to get into the game engine and pull out the correct lines of coding and so on. so i've always hoped it would be the case.

for right now and out of the fantasy line of thinking? nothing lasts forever, not even us. this game is running from a engine developed in 2004, started getting put together for swtor in 2007 and didn't launch until 2011. it is 2018 now, nearly 2019, that is 15 years for an out of date engine. there is no way an engine like that is going to be able to keep up in the long run. (In gaming years, it is practically a dinosaur from millions of years ago)

unless swtor gets a new engine with a lot more capability to it, and that will cost a small fortune by itself, the chances are it might last another few years as is. outside influences like Anthem might determine what the fate of Bioware will be in the immediate future because in 5 months from now the market quarter is coming out and Anthem needs to of sold well by then and if that is the case, bioware might have a good chance of survival for a bit.

assuming it gets past anthem and bioware remains alive? i can't see the game lasts much beyond another 5 years at most unless EA changes tack completely and puts resources and man power back into it.

Edited by Celise

I wonder if I am considered a 'naysayer'. I often find myself driven to the critical side of the fence when encountering people that feel the need to somehow 'defend' a game and/or company that isn't being attacked, the moment someone mentions they do not like some part of the game, some change, or even if they just raised an idea.

But I'm only here, I only take part in these discussions, I only get passionate about certain concerns because for the last six years, this game has been my primary source of entertainment.

I'm not entirely certain how I would react if the game would be closed down (especially because there've already been many ups and downs, and moments where I was already afraid that it'd be over soon), but I am not eager to find out. I do not believe that the "hope this game never ends" is a very realistic hope, but.. I guess I hope it too.

.. this game is running from a engine developed in 2004, started getting put together for swtor in 2007 and didn't launch until 2011. it is 2018 now, nearly 2019, that is 15 years for an out of date engine. there is no way an engine like that is going to be able to keep up in the long run. (In gaming years, it is practically a dinosaur from millions of years ago)

Um, I must be from a different generation, because I first started playing Everquest I in 1999, and that time span from 1999-2018 doesn't even begin to cover half my life.

EQ1 is still going. If SWTOR is a dinosaur, EQ1 must be something from the Paleozoic period, and me with it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

While this is usually true, I am reminded of Ultima Online, which launched in 1997 (also the first online game I ever played), and it is still going! I hope SWTOR is like that, as I love this game too, and am definitely here to stay. There has never been another online game like it, and it appears there may never be another.

I agree that Ultima keeps chugging along.. as does DAoC.... but they WILL eventually close. :)

Actual timing of sunset is hard to determine with MMOs.. some close within a year and others chug along for decades. And the really old MMOs demonstrate that you can run them profitably at much smaller scale then a behemoth like WoW.

The challenge of longevity for SWTOR will ultimately rest with IP licensing. If EA and Disney continue to renew their exclusive SW agreements (I think they still have 5 years to go before renewal) then SWTOR can run for a very long time... though at a much smaller scale as it ages.

Edited by Andryah

I've got bad news for y'all. This game is Doomed. Doomed I say. It will end in a while and I'm 100% sure.

Every game I liked is gone starting with The Matrix On Line, SWG, Tabula Rasa, Some died weeks (maybe months) from release, Like The Agency. Not saying every game I played is gone, there are some around that I've left. I stopped being engaged, and it was too much effort to get back into them.

Its hard to make a game now, the bottom line is even more important, folks will slag it for something that isn't done to their satisfaction, or WoW did it better, or FFXIV or w/e. And the loudest get noticed, rumours take flight, populations decrease and the studio finally says "lights out' and there goes another game I liked.

It would be nice if the game never ends, but as long as I'm here, it could be on 'shaky ground'.:)

Geezus man...you're the kiss of death to MMOs...you should really try W0W ;)

(I'm kidding of course)

I wonder if I am considered a 'naysayer'. I often find myself driven to the critical side of the fence when encountering people that feel the need to somehow 'defend' a game and/or company that isn't being attacked, the moment someone mentions they do not like some part of the game, some change, or even if they just raised an idea.

Interesting. I am more the opposite..... I will take time to point out things a player is either missing, or deliberately ignoring, when they go into perpetual negative mode about the game. Not to convince them otherwise.. because that is a waste of time... but rather to make sure there is actual contrasting views and opinions for all the readers the come into a discussion later. If you let the naysayer just simply run their narrative with no counterpoints (and there are almost always valid counterpoints in an opinion based discussion)... then you are actually allowing them to create and perpetuate a bubble of negativity just for the sake of negativity.

I freely admit I do not understand the perpetually negative personality trait..... but I do understand it to be real and in a community setting.. worth the effort to provide contrasts for other players to consider. I don't like to see "bubble chamber" approaches to discussion.. it's tribal, closed minded, and generally seeks to stir up passions to get others into the bubble.

By the way... my approach applies to the studio as well.. as an all positive bubble is as bad as the all negative bubble approach. When they are clearly wrong.. I will point it out.... but they do get a lot of blame for nothing more then personal player preferences or wants driving zero consideration of why a studio might be doing something it is choosing to do.

But I'm only here, I only take part in these discussions, I only get passionate about certain concerns because for the last six years, this game has been my primary source of entertainment.

I'm not entirely certain how I would react if the game would be closed down (especially because there've already been many ups and downs, and moments where I was already afraid that it'd be over soon), but I am not eager to find out. I do not believe that the "hope this game never ends" is a very realistic hope, but.. I guess I hope it too.

You have nothing to worry about - your posts are fine and you passion and opinions are welcomed. The only people who label you are those that are afraid of your views.

Um, I must be from a different generation, because I first started playing Everquest I in 1999, and that time span from 1999-2018 doesn't even begin to cover half my life.

EQ1 is still going. If SWTOR is a dinosaur, EQ1 must be something from the Paleozoic period, and me with it.

EQ1 is most certainly as you describe it, but i never mentioned you were. "in gaming years" is different from actual years since gaming years are far more rapid.

for a lot of enthusiasts in the gaming world who regularly upgrade their rigs, you'd see a graphics card from 10 years ago and you'd swear it was somemthing seen in the medieval era. it's just the way it is. Even Intel is naming their new upgraded CPU's as a step in "generations".

You have nothing to worry about - your posts are fine and you passion and opinions are welcomed. The only people who label you are those that are afraid of your views.

one can make a negative point and have a positive come out of it, it shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as negative for the sake of it as you presume as such, more so if you place a discriminatory view on it that isn't justified.

If you only see that is a negative for the sake of it, then you got the wrong end of the paintbrush. But if you happen to know that there is a certain logic in what was stated, then there is something good in it so long as you keep an open mind about it.

Edited by Celise

one can make a negative point and have a positive come out of it, it shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as negative for the sake of it as you presume as such,

Right, and negativity can be expressed when someone is supporting or defending something that they may feel is wrongly being criticized. They may have noble intentions, but how they defend can be toxic and wrought with negativity.

It's funny how our own perception can be so different from one another, it's like we all are viewing the same thing but from extremely different lenses. It's nice because sometimes I learn from those who are looking through very different lenses than myself.

That being said, often times it seems we can judge and pick apart what others say quite easily but we fail in reflecting on our own words with the same critical analysis.

I find when someone lacks self-awareness and have an inability to self-reflect that is when a person tends to spout insults and denigrate others in discussions when they do not agree with them.

Instead of countering points in the discussion with reason, they level insults and use words to devalue what the other person is saying, which can be effective but no one learns anything when this occurs.

Kind of reminds me of some of our world leaders.

Edited by Lhancelot

I don't care what the naysayers mouth off about, and I don't care that none of us seem to agree on the direction of the game, whether we're torn between PVE, PVP, Conquest, Operations, Flashpoints, or just sitting there playing Space Barbie decorating our strongholds, this is my game.

We can kavetch about the bugs, man can we kavetch about the bugs, and I've done my share and I'm sure I'll lean in when bugs arise again, but this is my game.

And I'm here to stay.

Yehaaa that's my game :D

While this is usually true, I am reminded of Ultima Online, which launched in 1997 (also the first online game I ever played), and it is still going! I hope SWTOR is like that, as I love this game too, and am definitely here to stay. There has never been another online game like it, and it appears there may never be another.

I have never played Ultima online but still have my original copy of Ultima VII from 1992, The black gate, Forge of virtue, Serpent Isle and The silver seed. although not played it in a long time i might have a look at Ultima onlne :)