Role Of Old Companions In Future Expansions?

Antonfourteen

I've been thinking about the newer expansion coming up with Jedi Under Siege and I can't help but wonder what roles the old companions will play for the story. I'm talking about the original 5 companions for each class.

I can't help but feel nostalgic for the old days when it was just my Warrior with Vette, Quinn, Jaesa, Pierce and Broonmark. It feels as if our vanilla companions have just become paperweights with no relevancy since Kotfe/Kotet.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lana and Theron but I'm just kinda fatigued with them now as they've just been the main people since Kotfe.

The issue is since many of these companions have been killable, they have to be pretty much regarded as dead for everybody else since all future content will have to assume the possibility that these companions won't be available for everybody. This has always been the problem with allowing companions to be killed and why Quinn was never killable in the main Warrior story. I guess the only way to solve this would be somehow resurrecting all your main story companions if you killed them but that would be impossible and people would complain that their choices don't matter. I just miss our vanilla companions...

Let me know what you think!

Well I've made my feelings known on this subject for years. I'd really like to know what the devs think on the subject at this point in time.

In a way, fe/et really brought our comps back into the spotlight in a way they hadn't been in years, so for that I'm terribly grateful.

At the same time, it felt like a culling and my most favorite companion was a prime target. I would love some small reassurance from BW that I still have a scene with or line from my fave(s) to look forward to someday.

I would guess our possible companions that will be tied to the story will play minor or medium roles, but not major ones considering their original class would be able to recruit them after Ossus. Of course I could be wrong, I am merely speculating here. But I wouldn't expect much coming from our original crew in the future.

In a way, fe/et really brought our comps back into the spotlight in a way they hadn't been in years, so for that I'm terribly grateful.

Yes, love it or hate it. The Chapters and Alliance alerts were the most interaction we had with our companions for years since the vanilla game, after the vanilla they just go mute most of the time. There is I believe 2 companions per class with ambient dialogue for Makeb, as well as for SOR. With SOR having 2 companions per class on the introductory cutscene actually talk, with Talos being a third one since the Sith Inquisitor's mission for SOR requires him... but other than that. Nada, nothing, they never talked about the state of the galaxy, we never heard a peep from them. It's really sad companion interaction has been lacking like that, but I suppose we'll have to make do with what we have.

Edited by FlameYOL

Cardboard cut-outs. Insert your own head canon at this point.

I have a feeling this is the most accurate answer for undeniably most of all companions. A few lucky golden boys got their very own chapter in ET/FE, and that was nice. But I wouldn't be hopeful for anything on that scale again.

Hope they make some mini-series of companion ship conversations at some point now that everyone is 8something years older. That shouldn't be terribly hard to do, right?

Sadly I have to agree with pretty much everybody's points. I kind of get sad entering my personal ship after starting Kotfe because it's just a ghost ship. At least when you finished your conversations with companions on vanilla, at least they'd stand around making the ship feel occupied. Now it's just empty and feels like a piece of Swtor history.

I'm not expecting Qyzen Fess for example to interact with my Sith Warrior for example but it would be nice if your vanilla companions at least interacted with their respective class. Though saying that, Qyzen like most alien NPCs don't need voice actors since they just recycle the same sounds for every conversation so they could do more perhaps with Khem, Qyzen, Blizz, Broonmark and other alien companions.

I also feel that they've really gone out of their way to cull the companions.

I'd love to see them have some role in the story even if it's a line here and there, or get a letter. But my hunch is that we'll be lucky if we see them at all. :(

Truth be told, i would love to see Zenith as an important character in a future expansion ,especially if we go back to Republic vs Empire. But this is just a dream, this companion has always been considered to be "too insignificant" .

But hey.. there's always the Odessen terminal option .. ( i wish you could see the bitter smile on my face)

Same as always..... cannon fodder, sharp stick, or band aid dispenser.. depending on how you select the role for the companion. :D

Their roles in story has always been kind of superficial in my view.... more like a convenience for the story writers.

Edited by Andryah

Likely not a big role. We may get an extra line thrown our way via an LI but I suspect most interaction will be minimal and they'll be no more than a mute hobbling after us. Not ideal but on the other hand I can imagine the price tag just being too high to bring so many different VA's in for 30-second scenes.

History tells us to expect little to nothing. I think there is a small glimmer of hope though.

Charles did mention that the when Nadia and Jaesa return they will be romance options, but that you'd be able to start the beginning of a relationship with them. Now that obviously makes sense, since some Warriors and Consulars will be reuniting with their wives, that would be a very different level of relationship than characters who hadn't started romancing them yet. But perhaps it suggests they plan to let you develop those relationships further via more appearances. I thought the Theron and Lana proposals were pretty well timed for when they were, the Outlander had been with them for years at that point.

He also mentioned that all the returning companions except Darkside Jaesa will be on Ossus. That also suggests they could maybe possibly be more directly involved in the story.

I sure hope they do get some attention going forward. I have mentioned this in threads from before as to whether we will be adventuring *With our Comps (and maybe a "Tag Along Advisor..ish) or will *Again our Peeps be substituted by a generic somebody like Zakuul until now. Considering the Money side.. One (per faction) is much cheaper(Cheaper, but not winning anybody over) then calling in assorted VA's :(. So many Vibrant characters and personalities only to be replaced by Generic Who Ever. Edited by MikeCobalt