New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Solo

Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Force Awakens

Phantom Menace

Solo is a good movie. I had fun. I'll probably buy it on DVD.

But the original trilogy, as well as Rogue One, are brilliant masterpeices that I continue to talk about and watch regularly even decades after their release. I doubt I'm going to be giving Solo a thought a month from now. Good, but forgettable and nothing stupendous.

Though still head and shoulders better than certain other films that I seem to intentionally try to block out pieces of until my memories will be better than the actual movie.

That's not an excuse. It's a big galaxy, there's plenty of crime lords in it. There's no need to use this one dumb character for an extra scene when they could've put somebody worthwhile in, like Jabba. Or, if they're bound and determined to use something from the EU (which they normally don't, of course) - why not Prince Xizor? Now there's a character who's worth reusing.

It's Canon Maul was a big deal in the underworld. During the Clone Wars he and his bro Savage Oppress took over all the crime Families and even became ruler of mandalore at one point. This is not fan service, it makes sense within the current Canon material. Xizor would have worked for Maul had he been introduced due to the fear he put in black Sun by killing almost All of the heads of black Sun. But know knows we may still get Xizor in another movie.

Young Han. Still getting experience. It worked for me. Your experience may vary.

He wasn't Han in a new hope yet by the end of the movie, he not as skeptical yet...still has to get some more naivety knocked out of him. But I did buy him as a young Han.

But the dude who left my jaw hanging was, of course, Darth Maul. I’m so, so happy that Disney finally acknowledged that the prequels and the prequel conflict had consequences, and I’m stoked to see him show up in more standalone movies; perhaps he will be the antagonist in the Obi-Wan movie. Anyway, I am not a very active movie watcher in the sense that I cheer and yell and whatnot, but his reveal had me going “YES.” And obviously, Sam Witwer is brilliant. Zero complaints that they used him instead of Ray Park.

I am sure you meant Sam Witwer did the voice because that was Ray Park in that last scene as Darth Maul.

If my kid didn't explain that Maul lived after Obi-wan cut him in half I would have been pretty confused, since I never watched the cartoons. I still kind of was but this is Star Wars a land of fantasy and people being able to sew their chopped body parts back together. So why should I be surprised. :rolleyes:

This movie was okay. It was an Ocean's 11 in space, or Bank Job (remake of the Italian Job) - in space. But that's okay. I like those movies very much. I expected the Kessel Run to be more of a big deal. I guess it was just rumors that spread that he did it then and that got him famous.

I didn't care for Lando getting all weepy over his droid and that being the reason he couldn't fly the Falcon. I feel they could have had something better - like maybe he got shot and was too injured or something. Not because he was emotional. And the conversation from the droid saying Lando loved her...(did I hear that right??) I think I had the same look on my face as Q'ira when she said that. If that's true, it's not the Lando I remembered from Cloud City.

So I felt it was not a great movie but it didn't suck either. Just mediocre to me.

I am curious what the original directors had in mind. They wanted it to be a gritty drama from what I read. Not sure what was in their script that was so undesirable. Was it because they wanted more creative control? Ron Howard did okay. Not his best film though.

I liked Vision/Paul Bettany. He was a good villain. And yes I liked Beckett (Woody Harrelson). I thought his betrayal was predictable but it was a toss up between him and Q'ira. I figured it would be one of them.

I love all the Star Wars movies, but I rank this one last. Still a cool movie, but this would have been much cooler as season 1 of a live action TV show. Most of the characters got way too little screentime.

Liked: Enfys Nest & crew, Beckett, Dryden Vos, Courscant scenes

Disapointed by their roles but could rebound in a sequel: Qi'ra, Lando, the Falcon

Didn't like: L3, Han but he was better than I expected, Sabacc scenes,

I hate that the Kessel Run got the "podracing" spot in the movie. What's the podracing spot? Well it's basically the portion of the movie that makes some sense and is cool enough, but could be taken out and replaced with a 10 second transition instead without a loss. Other examples include the Farthier race in TLJ, the Rathtar chase in TFA, and even cooler items like the space slug tunnel in Empire or the speeder-bike chase in RotJ.

Would have liked planet names like in Guardians of the Galaxy. I had no idea where they were a couple of times.

Was the train scene cooler than Captain America, The First Avenger? Maybe, but the fact that it was super close isn't good since that movie is considerably older. And compare the emotional impact of the character we lost in that scene vs. this scene. We had barely gotten to see ____ and ____ before this. If this heist had been episode 4 of a TV show I think we'd have been much more attached.

Qi'ra - Ok, we all saw this betrayal coming a mile away, just from even a casual thought about Han's life story. Yet she didn't really betray Solo so there's still hope for a good story here. She did what was best for her, for now. Much like Solo when he kept wanting to leave the Rebellion but would come back when it mattered.

Coolest thing about the movie, the re-establishment that HAN SHOT FIRST! I fully expected Beckett to get a shot off first.

New ranking after this movie:

1. A New Hope

2. Last Jedi

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Empire Strikes Back

5. The Force Awakens

6. Phantom Menance

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. Rouge One

9. Attack of the Clones

10. Solo

Yes, I'm not kidding about Phantom Menance. It's holding up well, as long as you ignore JarJar. Plus this movie just gave a major boost to the importance of Maul!

Edited by annabethchase

Not only that but in the Rebels series Obi finishes the job. So we already know his fate ultimately - why they keep bringing back characters that we already know what happens to them is so annoying.

In this case, we can still see Maul at his best. We've only really seen him fail so far. He could do so much as the main villain in the 2 movies that the solo cast is signed for. He could even "win" the trilogy by killing off Qi'ra if she ultimately remains faithful to Han yet loses to Maul. Han and Chewie obviously survive, but maybe they don't actually best Maul or win the big prize. That could be a huge step in making Han the man we see in ANH.

Most of this board seems to love the idea of the bad guys winning, well Maul could do so if these other 2 movies happen (or become books or whatever).

• 2 weeks later...
The movie was great! Actually I dont understand why these stand alone films (also Rouge One) seem much better than the main series now! What I dont get are the bad numbers the articles mention, the movie was really good and many people I know said the same, so no idea why the ticket numbers werent so great. Maybe they just had higher expectations.

Got a chance to see it last week and I thought the movie was phenomenal. Loved all the tie-ins to the other movies and Alden and Donald killed it. I would go as far to say that Ehrenreich was just as good, if not better than Ford was in A New Hope. Adlen's cockiness nailed the role.

I think solo didn’t do as well because it’s missing the one thing that really makes Star Wars special. The Force.

It really could have been any old sci-fi movie because of the lack of Force. Even the Empire was hardly used, since they only fought other smugglers, marauders, and criminals.

The movie was great! Actually I dont understand why these stand alone films (also Rouge One) seem much better than the main series now! What I dont get are the bad numbers the articles mention, the movie was really good and many people I know said the same, so no idea why the ticket numbers werent so great. Maybe they just had higher expectations.

Tell you 1 reason why. Kathleen Kennedy mostly ignores the side films and stays out of it unless the directors don't hit her social or political checklist.

Cause Ron Howard honestly tried to hit as few as possible for this film and get away with it.

Rogue 1 did the same.

I think solo didn’t do as well because it’s missing the one thing that really makes Star Wars special. The Force.

It really could have been any old sci-fi movie because of the lack of Force. Even the Empire was hardly used, since they only fought other smugglers, marauders, and criminals.

That's what I thought when I was thinking about the movie later that night after seeing it. There wasn't the standard lightsaber dual at the end of the movie. You remove Maul wielding his saber at the end of the movie and remove the notable names in the movie,, it's just another sci fi flick.

It's been nearly a week since I saw SOLOt, and I still think it was great, i didn't have those feelings after seeing TLJ, the further I got away from seeing that movie, the less I wanted to see it again. Never felt that way about a Star Wars movie.

Tell you 1 reason why. Kathleen Kennedy mostly ignores the side films and stays out of it unless the directors don't hit her social or political checklist.

Cause Ron Howard honestly tried to hit as few as possible for this film and get away with it.

Rogue 1 did the same.

Well, I think it's safe to say that you're just making "stuff" up. But, please, continue to go on about all of the things that make you uncomfortable.

Well, I think it's safe to say that you're just making "stuff" up. But, please, continue to go on about all of the things that make you uncomfortable.

It's not about whether you agree with it or not. Pushing a "message" in film makes it a worse film, artistically and in terms of entertainment. And having an executive push anything of significance onto a director is going to result in a clash of artistic visions that will almost certainly make for a worse film as well.

"If you want to send a message, use Western Union" - attributed to Samuel Goldwyn, Hollywood producer.

It's not about whether you agree with it or not. Pushing a "message" in film makes it a worse film, artistically and in terms of entertainment. And having an executive push anything of significance onto a director is going to result in a clash of artistic visions that will almost certainly make for a worse film as well.

"If you want to send a message, use Western Union" - attributed to Samuel Goldwyn, Hollywood producer.

Films always have a "message." This is how directors and producers share their view of the world. Oddly enough, there was very little of "that" in this film, so I don't even know what the issue is. Again, people just making things up to get others riled up. It's very distasteful.

Films always have a "message." This is how directors and producers share their view of the world. Oddly enough, there was very little of "that" in this film, so I don't even know what the issue is. Again, people just making things up to get others riled up. It's very distasteful.

I have to agree with you. I'm a pretty hard core conservative and saw very little political or social agendas being pushed in this movie. I would have to see it a second time to know for sure, but there were only a couple of scenes where you would notice certain narratives. Regarding the directors and writers, again agree, most will always push their personal or political beliefs through their art.

For me, Solo was a reasonably enjoyable movie but failed to deliver any extended pulse pounding excitement. I felt that the actors did a good job portraying younger versions of characters that we know and love, but the story took way too long to build up some momentum. Visually, it was nice to compare the movie and SWTOR versions of Correlia. However, I don't know whether it was the director's choice or a faulty projector in my cinema, but much of the movie was way too dark to see anything!

The Empire Strike Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi

Solo

The Phantom Menace

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Edited by Jedi_Lanceor

I liked Solo. Not as good as Rogue One or the main trilogy films but I still liked it. All those little easter eggs made me giddy as child in candy shop, and the appearance of Maul left me in awe. The cinematography on Corellia was stunning, especially with the shot of the Star Destroyer construction (and the mention of Coronet Spaceport).

All of the new films have had some sort of moment that has made me to grip the edge of my seat. With TFA it was Rey finding Luke. On R1 it was the destruction of the Rebel Alliance fleet. In TLJ it was Reylo teaming up against the Praetorian Guards. And in Solo it was the appearance of Maul.

I very much hope that we might see more of him and Qi'ra, I'll be very curious to see how he ends up into the state we see him at the end of second season of Rebels.

Edited by Rebamcfan

• 2 weeks later...

Don't really have the time to explain why, but since we're rating the movies now, here's my rating, top to bottom:

VI

III

Rogue One

VIII

IV

Solo

VII

I

II

V (Yes, you read that right. ESB at the very bottom. I'll explain why if I find the time.)

t' be fair, i was kinds confused as to why the Falcon looked different, but when the weird-*** nose thing was revealed to be the main escape pod, it made sense, also how we got to see Han earning the Life-Debt and the Sabacc game that won Han the Falcon all in one movie