Felix Iresso return: thanks

Estelindis

I have been thinking about the Republic angle in this story.

The more I reflect, the more sure I feel that 1) Felix's feelings of abandonment are completely understandable and shouldn't be glossed over, and 2) the Republic as a whole is not to blame. I remembered something in my life that feels analogous.

Years ago, I was in a group where one person had a toxic personality. (We were all sort of forced to put up with him because it was an open, local group.) After some months of general hostility, he verbally attacked me savagely in front of everyone. What upset me far more than the awful things he said was the fact that no one else stood up for me. I didn't really expect niceness from him. But from everyone else, people who got on with me well, I thought someone might say "she's not like that, you're being unfair." The fact that no one disagreed out loud made me feel abandoned, like they didn't care (or maybe even thought he was right). Ultimately, that guy was the one who attacked me; they were innocent. But their inaction hurt me more than his action because I expected better from them. (For what it's worth, they did stand up to him somewhat later; maybe initially they were just stunned like I was.)

I think that's how Felix feels about the Republic after his ordeal. The people who experimented on him are the ones actually responsible for his suffering. But he's a soldier of the Republic, not of Zakuul. He fought for the Republic and expected the Republic to have his back. His friends not helping him strikes more at his heart than strangers torturing him.

This leaves Felix in a strange place. As long as the consular's part of the Alliance, he can support a group he believes in. But the Alliance is breaking apart and losing its independence. Once that happens fully, I don't think he'll want to join the Empire but he also won't want to fight for the Republic. I think that only after a long period of healing might he be able to accept that 1) the Republic's inaction was painful, but 2) the Republic didn't subject him to those years of experiments. And, even if he does manage to come to some kind of peace with that, I think it's always going to hurt to some degree.

If the consular supports the Empire because of what happened to him, to me that's a fall. (Assuming she hadn't "fallen" before this.) An interesting thing about Felix's romance is that, unlike the JK romances at launch (patched subsequently), it has always been possible to romance him fully light-sided, openly and not hiding it from the jedi. Their connection is wholesome and healthy. If this event turned one or both of them towards the Empire, I think it would actually be a well-written, sophisticated fall from grace, as well as a kind of corruption of the original state of their relationship (assuming it was originally open and LS). It would be a far more understandable and human turn of events than a lot of the "falls" written over Star Wars history. I don't think anyone can convince me supporting the Empire for this reason would be the morally correct course of action. But it would certainly be interesting.

I am with your entire post.

I've been through something similar and there is a unique and deafening pain that comes with what you describe, which is why my heart really goes out to Felix. Yes, naturally, the actual experimenting he endured was terrible but think of his life. Think of everything he has endured while faithfully, trustingly serving the Republic only for them to leave him out in the cold when he needs them most. He didn't deserve that and I would honestly struggle even asking him to return to the Republic with me which makes it a shame there is no third option. Story wise it would be interesting to be sure, though unfortunately not anything we'd likely see much, if anything, for in the expansion.

As for the Republic, my LS Jedi struggles with the idea of going back. While she didn't suffer a fate similar to Felix's, she was abandoned by the Republic. They essentially wrote her off and treated her with hostility even once the Outlander's identity became known. They offered no help whatsoever either, unlike the Empire regardless of motives, yet on Iokath essentially expect her to fall in line again to aid them. Sorry, no, where were you when my Alliance needed the support? Where were you when I was out there fighting these battles, trying to protect the galaxy, sheltering other members of the Republic you failed to aid? After all my Jedi has done for them in her years serving the Order and Republic, they treated her as an enemy in her hour of need. I'm sad to say in my eyes, the Republic's really become the villain throughout this expansion, I've never been more disappointed and Felix's situation only further flames that sentiment.

My Jedi won't fall to the dark side, she wasn't corrupted or enticed. She simply knows who's had her back and who'll be the first to shut her out when the going gets tough.

Edited by JennyFlynn

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been through something similar and there is a unique and deafening pain that comes with what you describe, which is why my heart really goes out to Felix. Yes, naturally, the actual experimenting he endured was terrible but think of his life. Think of everything he has endured while faithfully, trustingly serving the Republic only for them to leave him out in the cold when he needs them most. He didn't deserve that and I would honestly struggle even asking him to return to the Republic with me which makes it a shame there is no third option. Story wise it would be interesting to be sure, though unfortunately not anything we'd likely see much, if anything, for in the expansion.

As for the Republic, my LS Jedi struggles with the idea of going back. While she didn't suffer a fate similar to Felix's, she was abandoned by the Republic. They essentially wrote her off and treated her with hostility even once the Outlander's identity became known. They offered no help whatsoever either, unlike the Empire regardless of motives, yet on Iokath essentially expect her to fall in line again to aid them. Sorry, no, where were you when my Alliance needed the support? Where were you when I was out there fighting these battles, trying to protect the galaxy, sheltering other members of the Republic you failed to aid? After all my Jedi has done for them in her years serving the Order and Republic, they treated her as an enemy in her hour of need. I'm sad to say in my eyes, the Republic's really become the villain throughout this expansion, I've never been more disappointed and Felix's situation only further flames that sentiment.

My Jedi won't fall to the dark side, she wasn't corrupted or enticed. She simply knows who's had her back and who'll be the first to shut her out when the going gets tough.

Thanks for sharing that you had a similar experience.

Regarding Felix and the Republic, I think you're right.

After reading what you said, and thinking a bit more, I've decided my consular can't ask him to fight for the Republic. She's still going to side with the Republic. She'll explain to Felix that she respects how he feels and she's not asking him to aid the Republic in any direct way. He'll have the right to act independently. He can help her and various innocents to the extent that he feels able, but it'll be removed from the Republic by a couple of steps. No one in Republic hierarchy will be in a position of authority over him.

Regarding the Republic and the Empire since KotFE,

I consider it somewhat unbalanced writing that Acina supports us and Saresh attacks us completely regardless of our past actions. Nonetheless, in-universe, it happened. Our characters have to respond to that.

From my consular's point of view, the Republic isn't something out there, distant and opposed. She is the Republic. Some members of the Republic have acted in ways she wouldn't choose, but that doesn't annul her choices as a member of the Republic.

I appreciate that light-sided characters can side with the Empire.

However from my point of view that makes a lot more sense when they come from the Empire. In that situation, they're working from within to make their home a fairer place. And, rightly or wrongly, I feel like they have a better chance at succeeding than an outsider. To me, it feels fundamentally different to voluntarily step into a system with legal slavery, institutionalized racism, and an elite class that's a law unto itself.

Edited by Estelindis

• 2 months later...

The things I would do for a Felix/Aric reunion! :D We will probably never get this... or Vette/Risha... or Mako/Qyzen, etc. But a girl can dream! ;)

I totally HC that the rescue op that bailed Felix out and got him to Odessen was the result of Jorgan and Rusk. Cathar temper is a marvelous thing to behold (heck, Juhani's was barely kept in check with the Jedi code, and while Jorgan is a little laid back for a Cathar, I figure this might be a good enough reason to say "screw it" to restraint), and Rusk's concern for collateral damage went out an airlock well before getting put on Hoth. Bonus points if they took Qyzen and a contingent of Warstalkers for that ride-along. ("Holy crap! Look at all those guards. We can get a MASSIVE pile of points!")

And because I couldn't decide which toon for my Outlander, I had a triumvate (Consular nominally in charge, backed up by my Hunter and Inquisitor; Inquisitor knows he's too nuts to actually handle leadership, and Hunter doesn't want the job). My Inquisitor hears of it, and says "Well, Alylia {Consular} is on a top secret mission hunting that traitor and can't afford a distraction. I owe her a favor, and I would really like to bloody my lightsaber. Sure, let's bail him out."

By the time they're done, that lab/prison is little more than a smoking crater with anything of value aside from Felix looted and brought back to Odessen.

So, here's Felix, who is out of it due to all the hell he's been through, barely conscious, pretty close to dying, going nuts or both. And he hears this commotion outside his cell. Yeah, this is it, he thinks. He finally went insane, because there's no freaking way that could be Jorgan AND Rusk outside. And are those Trandoshan curses? Then the door caves in, and there's this outrageously-dressed dude with a double lightsaber and an Imperial accent cutting him loose. Yeah, he's definitely gone nuts or hallucinating this because there is no way his war buddies would have a Sith for backup.

"No dying on me, man! Alylia will be very cross with me if you do."

Okay, THAT gets his attention, hallucination or not. And the Force healing is also really not expected from the Sith, but he's at least on his feet, and someone passes him a blaster. They all get out and onto the ship. Jorgan volunteers to bring him up to speed on current events as he's (comedically enough) the one who has the greatest degree of tact.

Edited by Allronix

On a meta level, I can see why the Republic and the Jedi Order would turn their backs on the Consular, particularly if she and Felix were in a romance. The Consular's role is pretty much Kingmaker. They don't do as much flashy stuff as the Knight, or even the Trooper, but they pulled a LOT of strings behind the scenes. With them vanishing, a lot of those strings became loose ends, ones the Jedi and the Suresh administration would like tied off.

First of all, the Rift Alliance were necessary during the 1-50 arc, but once the Imps were on the ropes, Suresh's administration felt little to no reason to keep them around. Judging from Ty Corden's cameo, the Rift Alliance was chucked under the bus as soon as they were no longer needed. Maybe Suresh made up some scandal...or someone found that dirt on the Selkath representative, and kicked them out on that basis. Nadia would protest, but wouldn't be able to be of much help as she was a young and naive Senator with a lot of enemies.

As far as the Jedi? Well, the Consular holding that much political clout would have been troublesome for the Order's pretense that they aren't politically affiliated. Nadia would be a double-edged saber; she was taken in much older than most Padawans, and is more personally loyal to the Consular than the Order. Add her position as a Senator in the Rift alliance, and she's an even bigger liability. I would not be surprised if Suresh AND Satele tried to control her, and neither got much headway in doing anything but making her see the walls were closing in - so she goes into Wild Space to find her master.

The Republic Army was never sure what to do with Felix well before the Consular came into the picture. They couldn't do a thing for the time bomb in his head, and he played fast and loose with the regs, but he was a good soldier and they were on the ropes at that point. so, they keep sending him to these outposts on the galaxy's rear end. I had a guess that he was set up to fail on Hoth, judging from what passed for his squad. Maybe the hope was that he would get killed or that he would get captured again and they could still wash their hands of him because he was a liability. But he succeeds...and the Rift Alliance demands he be their Republic liaison officer. The brass can't object at that point because they needed the Rift alliance, and Felix was a good fit for it - on paper, he was exemplary, and in practice he was just as expendable as the Alliance.

As for the relationship with the Consular? Oh...boy. Technically, they were following all the regs; the consular is a Master, great service record, no real reason to question their judgement. They never lied to the council. Felix dutifully sat through the council sub-committee interrogating him over it, etc. But you can BET that the Council was less than thrilled. Amp it up even further with Grandmaster Satele! Think about it; Satele had that fling with Jace (that resulted in Tharon), but broke it off and views the whole thing (and Tharon!) as something shameful that she wanted to put behind her. And here's the Consular...showing up with a cute Republic soldier, announcing her intent to make it all official, not showing any shame about it. That had to grind Satele's gears a little bit, and likely brought up a lot of uncomfortable memories.

Well, they couldn't just force a breakup by reassigning Felix - the Alliance demanded him there. And he and the Consular were following the letter of the law, so they couldn't nail them for breaking regulations. (And if Nadia backed them, it would cause trouble for her as well). But, damned if it wouldn't be a relief for both the Jedi Order and the Republic government for Consular and Felix to disappear.