Why is there no thread with active discussion of Solo - A Star Wars Story?

annabethchase

Ok, let's keep it real, nobody's discussing this movie. There's a full trailer out with lots of details that could be obsessed over. Interviews are out, memorabilia on sale, commercials everywhere. Yet, people on a Star Wars website aren't even talking about this movie. So which of these reasons most matches your reason for lack of enthusiasm?

A) Movie fatigue - we just had a saga movie 4 months ago, it's just too soon

B) Legends fandom - we already saw this story in multiple origin stories, it's going to somewhat be similar to what we already know.

C) Alden Ehrenreich - not exactly Harrison Ford

D) Director replacement and reshoots - not a good sign

E) Solo fatigue - would rather a new movie focus on characters that we haven't already seen a complete character development arc for

To be fair, I see plenty of good things as well, but want to figure out why nobody's excited.

I just don't care. I never wanted or saw the need for a Han Solo movie. Unless you're going to recast and remake the OT, it feels unnecessary to recast Han and Lando.

The Last Jedi was so terrible it killed my interest in Episode 9 and what little curiosity I had for Solo too.

I also greatly prefer the AC Crispin and Daley Solo Trilogies. I love those 6 books.

The trailers for the Solo movie have been mediocre at best.

----------

Of course I don't begrudge anyone who is anticipating the movie.

I'm personally excited for it due new story and background for Han, though admit, not that interested in him or Lando like with Luke and Leia, but judging from trailers, it is going to be good imo. I wasn't that excited due all the fuss surrounding its production, but the trailers were the game changer with me.

I don't personally have nothing against Alden, never seen any films from him and he does have some Han Solo with him.

I can understand director change and reshoots, as the previous directors wanted to make the film into pure comedy instead of having comical elements onto it, as Kasdan and Kennedy outlined and when Lord and Miller didn't want to adapt, change was needed.

Edited by Rebamcfan

:) I'm sure a lot of people will watch this movie. The things I see though are 1- The principle actor "Alden Ehrenreich" many think he wasn't the best choice and 2- He's a Friend of Kathleen Kennedy (Who I've always respected for her "If it doesn't Feel like Star Wars it isn't right") stand point; there are others that look, have experience at and mannerisms are closer to Harrison Fords. The movie has had a number of setbacks and changes at the top so that lends a tarnished impression fan wise. 3- I've had the "Han Solo Trilogy" novels since......well way back :) (Maybe still do) and with such a long period to now and the 1st anything specifically about that characters life before "Star Wars" its been generally considered as "Canon", from the clips I did watch this movie seems to throw out all that (Like JJ Abrams) to create their own story (fans don't like that). "Star Wars" is a 100% Fan Driven Industry they will like (applaud) it, maybe just..accept it or they may not. Its all up to the fans; I *Thought K.K. would've understood that.

People just aren't pumped for this. 8 was a massive let down and the SJW BS makes SW at this point hard to take. Plus why make young Han look so wet behind the ears and naive. If he's been hustling the streets since 10, he should be overly cocky without experience to temper it.

He should be strutting around like the new hotshot Freshman college quarterback with something to prove.

Solo is the SW movie I am least interested in (although that's relative to other SW movies, I'm still more interested in it than any other movie coming out with the possible exception of Infinity War). While the first two trailers did improve my anticipation level, I'm still no where near as excited for it as I was for TFA, R1, or TLJ. Which is a bit of a shame following off of the best SW movie since TESB.

For me its because:

• Han Solo isn't one of my top favorite aspects of the SW universe to begin with, so the core premise is less appealing to me than those of the previous three movies, all of which I was pumped for.
  • The actor playing Han doesn't have me convinced he's going to come across as a younger version of the character we met in the main saga films.
  • It's coming out Memorial Day weekend instead of in December. With the other movies, going to see them with friends and family I see around the winter holidays was, in itself, an event I was looking forward to.

There are things that look promising about the movie, IMO -- I'm only lukewarm on this one relative to being significantly hyped up for the previous three.

• If you're going to do a Han Solo movie, having it be a heist flick is absolutely the right move.
  • Donald Glover as Lando.
  • A lot of the visuals we've seen glimpses of in the trailers look just as good as anything from a SW movie.
  • All of the other Disney SW movies have been great, so I'm hoping the trend continues here.

Edited by DarthDymond

When I first heard about the Solo movie my first though was we don't need a Han Solo movie, but then I was also skeptical about Rogue One and that turned out to be a great movie. I'm going to see the film when it comes out and I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I'm also hoping the actors who play Han Solo and Lando do an excellent job and stay true to the characters. So far, in my opinion, Disney has done a good job with the Star Wars franchise. Edited by CSheely

:) To me this will be the only way I think of that character.

https://imgur.com/vDQDE1I

Alden is "Too Different", looks, voice, mannerisms just altogether "Not Right". Han Solo's earlier life has been written for decades already and for a studio to throw all that out so they can "Do It My Way" (JJ Abrams) is a slap to all the fans. K. Kennedy always said she wanted to preserve "Star Wars" and even made big ripples throughout the movies on that (Honorable) standpoint but she did put her "Trendy Young Friend" in the principal role despite resistance since he was named especially from the fans (Star Wars is a 100% Fan driven economy, they're not happy, it flops). Add to that They *Seem to be throwing out "ALL" of the 4 decade long lore around the character. Fans don't like that (Abrams reportedly still gets Hate mail for the same thing for Star Trek Fans). We'll See.

This is what I've thought since Star Wars opened and throwing all that out in favor of a Producers Favorite Trendy Young Friend that needed an on site acting coach, numerous takes, and still unconvincing to the studio plus fans (hasn't even opened yet). Throwing away 4 decades of lore is Invalidating Millions of fans impressions and supposedly what Kathleen Kennedy said she was against, and they want the fans money for that? JJ Abrams did exactly this with Star Trek and still gets hate mail. Despite their ticket sales that franchise still Reportedly achieved Far Less then expected. The Fans will decide, they always have the final judgment.

This has been the accepted lore since Star Wars opened. Many years ago there was news and some negotiations to create His backstory based on these first books defining Solo's life before meeting Obi-Wan and Luke (They couldn't find an Acceptable actor).

https://imgur.com/n9hLgPr

Recent collection

https://imgur.com/sEOECCm

I didn't watch the trailer or keep up with any aspect of the movie, other than knowing some vague details. Plenty of criticism I've heard about the actor playing him, and while I don't know if any of it is warranted, I can only speak for myself in saying that in any kind of movie/series continuity I've just always had a problem with a different actor playing a role that's already been portrayed before. Especially one as iconic as Han Solo, or Lando for that matter (and I quite like Glover). Prequel or not, all of that just seems to become irrelevant to me. There's just something about not being able to take it seriously. So, taking that into regard, there's a serious chance I might end up not watching it at all even if it does become part of Star Wars' canon. Just won't be my canon.

I didn't watch the trailer or keep up with any aspect of the movie, other than knowing some vague details. Plenty of criticism I've heard about the actor playing him, and while I don't know if any of it is warranted, I can only speak for myself in saying that in any kind of movie/series continuity I've just always had a problem with a different actor playing a role that's already been portrayed before. Especially one as iconic as Han Solo, or Lando for that matter (and I quite like Glover). Prequel or not, all of that just seems to become irrelevant to me. There's just something about not being able to take it seriously. So, taking that into regard, there's a serious chance I might end up not watching it at all even if it does become part of Star Wars' canon. Just won't be my canon.

Just curious: did that come into play for you with Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan?

:) I actually Liked Ewan McGregor's "Obi-Wan". Even though Ewan is noticeably shorter then Sir Alec Guinness he still played an excellent "Follow Up". Every actor ages (Even though some don't seem to) and long standing characters must seem at any age at any time but Alden really isn't the *Right actor. Jaime Costa or Anthony Ingruber and countless others actually Did impress the studio mgmt. Its More then just Face, their mannerisms, overall persona, how they sound even not to mention "Acting Skill". Hollywood isn't creating this character *Right Now, Han Solo (and Obi-Wan) already have an impression and the fans expect that plus 40 years of experience. Any New Actor has to meet those prerequisites or the fans could condemn the movie.

P.S. I'm looking forward to the Obi-Wan Kenobi movies.

Just curious: did that come into play for you with Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan?

Touché. Guess that one might actually be an anomaly as I think McGregor truly did an excellent job in paying homage to Alec Guinness' portrayal and was, possibly, the strongest factor in the prequels acting-wise. It has to be said though I'm from '91 and with TPM coming out when I was 8 I didn't quite have built up the 'baggage' I have surrounding characters and roles as I have now. I don't know why that's the comparison that comes up in my mind, but thinking of someone else playing Han Solo (younger version or not) feels like someone other than Stallone playing Rocky Balboa. I admit it has no objective value whatsoever, the idea just doesn't click for me.

But you have a point, there are always going to be exceptions.

I myself am mildly optimistic. While I did enjoy TFA & RO, TLJ was a letdown imo. I don't like how they handled many of the characters story arcs. It's actually the only SW movie I didn't watch multiple times in theaters. My dislike doesn't involve any of the SJW arguments many like to use..... it does stem from "preconceived expectations" from the over 200 EU books and comics I own. While Solo "looks" interesting, I'll be the first to admit, I already have an impression of his origin story from all the EU (Legends) books. But I'll be there opening weekend... I trust the director, and I know Donald Glover is gonna nail it as Lando.

I've also got a sneaking feeling that if Solo does well, we'll soon be hearing about another movie that probably takes place after RotJ since Alden is signed on for 3 movies.

Touché. Guess that one might actually be an anomaly as I think McGregor truly did an excellent job in paying homage to Alec Guinness' portrayal and was, possibly, the strongest factor in the prequels acting-wise. It has to be said though I'm from '91 and with TPM coming out when I was 8 I didn't quite have built up the 'baggage' I have surrounding characters and roles as I have now. I don't know why that's the comparison that comes up in my mind, but thinking of someone else playing Han Solo (younger version or not) feels like someone other than Stallone playing Rocky Balboa. I admit it has no objective value whatsoever, the idea just doesn't click for me.

But you have a point, there are always going to be exceptions.

I guess each person will form their own opinions. But, many actors have played James Bond, Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, etc. It's never really bothered me when they change. If the new actor is good, you forget about it. For example: Sean Connery was always the quintessential Bond. It seemed wrong when he was replaced, but that's because Timothy Dalton was terrible. Daniel Craig makes you forget that because he is the best Bond. And he doesn't look anything like the other Bonds.

I don't care about it and won't be seeing it because of the casting of the lead role. Anthony Ingruber would've been perfect for the role of Han, but instead, Kathleen Kennedy decides to cast Alden Ehrenreich because they have connections. I can't stomach the guy they cast as Han, it irritates me when I look at the trailer because he's so glaringly awful. A bit depressing really, cause I've loved Han Solo for like...40 years of my life and they ruined his youth by casting that inept little insect. :mad: Edited by Lunafox

I don't care about it and won't be seeing it because of the casting of the lead role. Anthony Ingruber would've been perfect for the role of Han, but instead, Kathleen Kennedy decides to cast Alden Ehrenreich because they have connections. I can't stomach the guy they cast as Han, it irritates me when I look at the trailer because he's so glaringly awful. A bit depressing really, cause I've loved Han Solo for like...40 years of my life and they ruined his youth by casting that inept little insect. :mad:

:) Sometimes its Too Good to replace

The Real Han Solo

The Real Millennium Falcon

https://imgur.com/mQNO5uu

Everybody's favorite Scoundrel Duo

https://imgur.com/WppvZC5

*Maybe they'll recast the role after this, wouldn't be the first time.

:) Sometimes its Too Good to replace

The Real Han Solo

The Real Millennium Falcon

https://imgur.com/mQNO5uu

Everybody's favorite Scoundrel Duo

https://imgur.com/WppvZC5

*Maybe they'll recast the role after this, wouldn't be the first time.

Ahhhh such beautiful memories. *swoons*

And my gods, I hope so. I've never wanted a movie recast more than this one. Er rather, a part recast more than Han's. I'm ok with the other folks in the movie. Just not him.

I simply am not going to support anything Disney+Lucas Arts+Star Wars anymore. The direction the last two movies have gone has turned me off Star Wars. I dont watch movies to be fed modern politics. Piss on SJW bs, keep it out of my science fiction. The worse thing to happen to Star Wars is Kathleen Kenndy and her beta hacks Ryan Johnson and JJ Abrams....../end rant

Ashur

I simply am not going to support anything Disney+Lucas Arts+Star Wars anymore. The direction the last two movies have gone has turned me off Star Wars. I dont watch movies to be fed modern politics. Piss on SJW bs, keep it out of my science fiction. The worse thing to happen to Star Wars is Kathleen Kenndy and her beta hacks Ryan Johnson and JJ Abrams....../end rant

Ashur

So why are you here, then? If you're done with it all, walk away and leave those of us who enjoy it to enjoy it in peace.