Ignore list

Jdeekey

Changes to ignore list that I personally would very welcome:

1. Increased ignore list cap. It's stupid that I have to clear up my ignore list from gold-sellers to put on ignore some gold-sellers.

2. Legacy-wide ignore. It's frustrating to get someone way too toxic in your group, have unpleasant run in flashpoint and after it done and you have put person in mention on the ignore you relog to your other char and get same person in the pop. I have 30 chars, I don't want to log each one and ignore someone on every one.

3. (optional)

3.a. Ignoring legacy. To be able not to ignore just one character, but his whole legacy so you won't meet any chars of person in question anymore. I can see how it can be abused to figure out names of the all chars of player and some people would rather keep that secret. I understand.

3.b. Ignoring guild. There are just some guilds out there that they make a reputation for holding toxic people. I personally have some guilds in mind members of which I'm trying to put on ignore beforehand, whenever I meet them. It would be nice to be able to put on ignore whole guild, and lets say if person quits guild then he's removed from your ignore list, or something like that.

Changes to ignore list that I personally would very welcome:

1. Increased ignore list cap. It's stupid that I have to clear up my ignore list from gold-sellers to put on ignore some gold-sellers.

2. Legacy-wide ignore. It's frustrating to get someone way too toxic in your group, have unpleasant run in flashpoint and after it done and you have put person in mention on the ignore you relog to your other char and get same person in the pop. I have 30 chars, I don't want to log each one and ignore someone on every one.

3. (optional)

3.a. Ignoring legacy. To be able not to ignore just one character, but his whole legacy so you won't meet any chars of person in question anymore. I can see how it can be abused to figure out names of the all chars of player and some people would rather keep that secret. I understand.

3.b. Ignoring guild. There are just some guilds out there that they make a reputation for holding toxic people. I personally have some guilds in mind members of which I'm trying to put on ignore beforehand, whenever I meet them. It would be nice to be able to put on ignore whole guild, and lets say if person quits guild then he's removed from your ignore list, or something like that.

1. yes

2. yes

3.a. no

3.b. no

Edited by ThomasStarWars

I support idea #2. It's just a QoL improvement.

I'll always be opposed to idea #3. And ... the "guild ignore" would just be a disaster for group finder queues. I know that there are some real "pieces of work" out there, but let's actually wait until we discover a particular character is a problem before adding him to our ignore lists.

1) Nope. Stop wasting your time /ignoring gold sellers with facesmash character names. They are always gone by the next day.

2) Yep.

3a) Yep.

3b) Nope.

If you are *this* paranoid about "toxic" (ffs, hasn't this word-of-the-day run its course yet?) players then maybe MMOs aren't right for you.

1) Nope. Stop wasting your time /ignoring gold sellers with facesmash character names. They are always gone by the next day.

So you prefer to have general chat filled with gold-sellers while chatting or finding group because they will be gone next day? Ignore list cap is low, especially if you play this game for a long time.

If you are *this* paranoid about "toxic" (ffs, hasn't this word-of-the-day run its course yet?) players then maybe MMOs aren't right for you.

I wanted to avoid less pleasant epithets since topic is ignore list itself, and not the reasons one wants to put other player on ignore. I will decide what's right for me, thank you.

So you prefer to have general chat filled with gold-sellers while chatting or finding group because they will be gone next day? Ignore list cap is low, especially if you play this game for a long time.

it's the same either way, the gold sellers stay for a few minutes and then change characters, why not go through your ignore list and remove them. its so simple.

One gold seller every 10 minutes is not ‘filling’ general chat. Once again hyperbole is being used to try and win sympathy for your cause. Go back 5 years and then you can talk about ‘filled’.

I’m a launch player and *have* been here a long time and the time it takes to /ignore these and then have to go and manually delete them which wastes even more time when they are gone by the next day versus just mentally ignoring them is not worth it.

If anything I’d suggest having a /goldseller option that would put them into their own void that I never have to look at again.

One gold seller every 10 minutes is not ‘filling’ general chat. Once again hyperbole is being used to try and win sympathy for your cause. Go back 5 years and then you can talk about ‘filled’.

I’m a launch player and *have* been here a long time and the time it takes to /ignore these and then have to go and manually delete them which wastes even more time when they are gone by the next day versus just mentally ignoring them is not worth it.

If anything I’d suggest having a /goldseller option that would put them into their own void that I never have to look at again.

Yet you're so vehemently opposed to referral links in chat which in turns of volume really is not all that different from gold seller bots. Seems a little adverse to be talking to this guy so harshly, don't you think?

And you being here at launch is entirely irrelevant.

Edited by silenthc

Yet you're so vehemently opposed to referral links in chat which in turns of volume really is not all that different from gold seller bots. Seems a little adverse to be talking to this guy so harshly, don't you think?

Gold sellers are mindless spambots, nothing more, and they are GONE very quickly. Referral scammers are real people who sweet-talk and take advantage of other people who don't know any better, and they'll keep doing it day after day until they are told to stop. They are gaming the in-game system by bribing other players with a pittance of credits for personal gain.

Ever see a gold seller bot rage in chat when you tell everyone that it's a scam and to not do it? Referral scammers are worse than gold sellers cuz they can't alter their sales pitch in real time whereas a referral scammer can throw out ToS and other lawyering to try and justify their scam.

Referral scammers are pathetic.

And you being here at launch is entirely irrelevant.

... except that it *is* relevant since OP brought up playtime in the first place which is why I said it:

Ignore list cap is low, especially if you play this game for a long time.

... which reinforces the fact that I don't personally /ignore gold sellers with facesmash names cuz I know they're gone by the next day which means I don't have to sit there and waste even more time deleting them from my /ignore list along with the fact that I've been doing it this way since launch, even when gold sellers actually *did* fill chat, means it's a good system and relevant to this conversation.

If people would just have a little mental fortitude to mentally ignore gold sellers, which aren't that common these days but they like to exaggerate, then I'm sure they'd be much happier.

Edited by PetFish

Credit-spammers don't harass you. They annoy, but they don't try to troll you or ruin your game time. You can turn chat off. You can delete mail without reading it. Adding them to a limited sized ignore list is pointless. Yeah, you can do it if you don't want your jawa-movie-title game, your PvP attentionwhoring, or your friendly political debate in gen chat interrupted. But they will be banned in a day or two depending on how lazy people are with the report spam feature. So adding them to a permanent list is, as I said, pointless.

Not sure why this thread turned into "theses people you should ignore, not thoses", it doesn't really matter why you ignore people, the ignore list is short and could have its size increased.

The thing is ignore list shouldn't be filled with gold sellers, each time you log into the game it should be cleansed of banned gold sellers characters.

So yes to #1 and #2.

Not sure why this thread turned into "theses people you should ignore, not thoses", it doesn't really matter why you ignore people, the ignore list is short and could have its size increased.

The thing is ignore list shouldn't be filled with gold sellers, each time you log into the game it should be cleansed of banned gold sellers characters.

So yes to #1 and #2.

I think everybody agrees that banned characters should automatically be removed from ignore lists. Even the devs acknowledged this a few months ago:

I like the account wide idea and we'll look into the Cap. What we may find is we need to automatically clean up your list and remove those accounts which are no longer part of TOR such as banned Advertisers. <-- click to read full post by Keith

Anyway, people are sharing advice / opinions. But it stands to reason that if you can add a player that spams on Thursday to your ignore list, you can remove him from said list on Friday or Saturday after he has been "taken care of." Rather than complain that your list doesn't hold enough names, try managing it better. The reason the list has a size limit in the first place is because they wanted to limit the potential negative effect it can have on the game performance. So while you think these replies might seem snarky, there might actually be a shared interest in the outcome of the proposed idea. The advice is applicable regardless of how it is delivered or received.

I think everybody agrees that banned characters should automatically be removed from ignore lists. Even the devs acknowledged this a few months ago:

I like the account wide idea and we'll look into the Cap. What we may find is we need to automatically clean up your list and remove those accounts which are no longer part of TOR such as banned Advertisers. <-- click to read full post by Keith

Anyway, people are sharing advice / opinions. But it stands to reason that if you can add a player that spams on Thursday to your ignore list, you can remove him from said list on Friday or Saturday after he has been "taken care of." Rather than complain that your list doesn't hold enough names, try managing it better. The reason the list has a size limit in the first place is because they wanted to limit the potential negative effect it can have on the game performance. So while you think these replies might seem snarky, there might actually be a shared interest in the outcome of the proposed idea. The advice is applicable regardless of how it is delivered or received.

Gold spammers aren't the only characters that can be ignored.

Some people that aren't gold spammers have gibberish names.

I don't play every day.

I don't know when gold spammers are removed, it's not fixed.

Thus when I think it should be safe to remove someone from my list, the gold spammer might still be in-game, I might remove a real player I don't want to see his messages anymore...and I would have to check that every day I log in? compared to an automatic system ?

Then sure we can start to talk about the advantage of small fixed size list/arrays compared to bigger ones or compared to dynamic lists.... but that's pointless, we aren't devs, we don't have access to the code, nor it's our role.

I could guess stuff too, I could suppose things to counter your argument, like saying there's a lot of garbage schematics each of my characters know and that the game keeps track of, so they could be removed to free space but yeah, pointless....

Finally, I always like theses remarks, like adding QoL stuff is not necessary because people can handle it themselves. Being lazy leads to creating and adding systems not to have to deal with repetitive, boring, uninteresting stuff. Enduring annoying things is not smart.

The advice is applicable regardless of how it is delivered or received.

Gold spammers aren't the only characters that can be ignored.

Some people that aren't gold spammers have gibberish names.

I don't play every day.

I don't know when gold spammers are removed, it's not fixed.

Thus when I think it should be safe to remove someone from my list, the gold spammer might still be in-game, I might remove a real player I don't want to see his messages anymore...and I would have to check that every day I log in? compared to an automatic system ?

Then sure we can start to talk about the advantage of small fixed size list/arrays compared to bigger ones or compared to dynamic lists.... but that's pointless, we aren't devs, we don't have access to the code, nor it's our role.

I could guess stuff too, I could suppose things to counter your argument, like saying there's a lot of garbage schematics each of my characters know and that the game keeps track of, so they could be removed to free space but yeah, pointless....

Finally, I always like theses remarks, like adding QoL stuff is not necessary because people can handle it themselves. Being lazy leads to creating and adding systems not to have to deal with repetitive, boring, uninteresting stuff. Enduring annoying things is not smart.

The advice is applicable regardless of how it is delivered or received.

Well, an ignore list is a QoL "add on" since the average person is capable of ignoring someone or something without right-clicking and following a procedure. There's a puppy about 3 houses down that has been barking non-stop for 2 hours and there's nothing I can click to stop him. Guess I'm forced to use manual ignore.

If you "don't play everyday" then it's pretty safe to remove a credit-spammer the next time you log in. They are usually dealt with within 24 hours. But what can you possibly do if you can't remember why you ignored that "name" on your list? Maybe he wasn't a spammer and if you remove him, he might become a problem once again and then ... I guess there's nothing that can be done if you errantly remove somebody /endsarcasm ...

Anyway, that's not the only thing this thread was about. I don't support a bigger list because I think maxing out your list is abusing the feature. There aren't even close to 200 people on at any one time that are ignore-worthy. There might be 2-3 different spammers per day on average which if you can't manually ignore, should be promptly removed within a week (way more time than necessary)from adding them. A small amount of people may have real harassment issues with another player and then adding their toons will add however many are needed to solve the issue. Then there are just chat trolls that tend to hang out in the same place everyday. Often they stick to a channel like the PvP channel, so you can just close that off from your chat settings instead of ignoring them.

Then there's the legacy ignore lists. I support having your ignore list be legacy wide (faction specific). It makes sense. I don't support the idea of being able to ignore another player's legacy because that opens up loopholes for abuse and compromises player anonymity.

Finally, the guild ignore just sounds like a totally useless and bad idea. There are good people in almost any guild. This would multiply any issues that ignore lists already create (such as queue times and performance issues). If you combine that with being able to ignore legacies, you could potentially be adding 5000 characters to your ignore list at the click of a confirmation box.

Anyway, we don't all think alike, but if a player needs to have thousands of other characters on an ignore list, IMHO, the problem is himself ... and I side with the notion that MMOs may be the wrong choice of game for that user.