Outrageous Respec Cost

Dinn

As others have posted you are pretty much treating the repsec as a dual spec alternative. Personally I think the system is fine as is. You make choices and that should have some weight in the system. No one is making you respec you can wait till the cost goes back down on its own if you don't want to pay

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to play multiple characters, just roll multiple characters. That doesn't cost you a thing. Why try to cram half dozen toons into one when you can have up to 8 characters per server?

Let's push obsurdity to it's limits. What if you decided that for one fight a jedi knight is perfect but for the next a consular? Should they let you change classes on the fly too? Of course not. Roll what you want and play it. If you want a healer and a dps, then roll 2 toons.

Classic yet flawed debating trick to over-exaggerate a viewpoint in order to point out absurdity.... Think about it, if you need to take it to extremes to show a flaw in it... Perhaps it is not flawed.

And I don't want to play multiple characters. I want to be a sith warrior dps'n and a sith warrior in PvP.... Veangance (so far) is the best for dps in raids... however it is the worst out of the three for PvP.

Now lets do what you did... And take an example to an extreme.

My sith warrior has very little AOE dmg abilities... So my raid leader is going to have me role a different character in order to get talents that upgrade smash and sweeping slash for fights that require a lot of AOE. That or the raid leader is going to make me sit out for that fight, and bring the Rage specced SW jugg, who has better AOE in shockwaved smashes.

Then, the next fight, im going to switch out my rage specced jugg's for teh vengeance specced jugg's, because the next fight has no AOE requirement, and is a tank and spank. But hey Rage specced Jugg's, dont worry, im sure you'll get used a lot (lol no)..

Do you see how ridiculous that is?

Finding the respec costs quite high, currently i'm on 80k which seems to be the limit, so far i've spent maybe 350k (probably more but i lost count) on respecs and i'm currently 45.

I know its a lot but i'm one of the impulsive characters that like to dps and i enjoy healing (sage). Is that really so much to ask that i can switch between the 2 or even 3 builds without going broke?

For me this is the single worst game breaker in mmo's and i find the concept overly harsh and i think it would do the game good to have it virtually free, i know i and i'm sure many others would enjoy the game a whole lot more without this added massive cost. (and spare me the troll comments)

Dual specc would surely help but keep in mind there's heal specc there's pvp heal specc pve/pvp dmg specc and so on so one really needs to be able to switch between 4 minimum, but i know you cant have it all. Do us a favor tho lower the cost drastically

99,800 Credit respec cost. Seems like my cap. From 700k to 100k in a couple days, woot. Bustin out more dailies.

Gimme some o dem dual specs.

[edit] Just checked again, been over 24 hours since my last respec; Still 99,800 credits.

Edited by Tarch

I'm sorry you don't get to have everything you want. Life doesn't work that way.

This isn't life - its a video game. No one is "occupying SWTOR" - we're asking for a very basic quality of life improvement that allows us to excel, through talents, at multuiple aspects of the game. One should not be required to roll a new character in order to do this. It doesn't matter if that's how it was done in the past. Times are changing and choices are a much higher moneymaker than being locked into one fixed spec for all eternity.

And the best argument of all? Don't like it, don't use it. Dual spec for me doesn't hurt you at all.

So is the respec cost reset been confirmed? Because during Early Access(When I didn't know what the hell I was doing), I respeced 4-5 times and got my cost up to 50k. Level 50 now and the price has yet to drop even though it is quite clearly more than a week since Early Access.

Is this a bug or is all this talk about respec cost going down just BS?

Edited by SpectreVII

haha! no, it won't. Overdramatic much? Games do not die because of that. There is no one single thing that ever kills a game.

Obviously your one of those that came from WoW. If u'd play SWG ou'd know that the one

single NGE killed SWG in 10hrs the game lost about 90% of its subs.

the cap is 99800 credits.

I don't mind the cost, because the lvl 50 dailies net about double that amount. it is EASY to acquire that many credits.

As to why I respec so much?

I am a merc in a guild full of friends. I was one of the first to hit 50 in the guild, and I leveled as DPS. However, to run hard modes, often my guild needs a healer. I respec to heals.

However, to do those dailies, i need to respec to DPS. Trust me, soloing and questing as a heal spec is painful.

So I respec usually once a day.

Don't worry, i'm leveling a sniper to be my DPS toon, but until he hits 50, in order to HELP MY FRIENDS get gear and have fun, I need to respec often. How hard is that to understand?

I can wait for dual spec, i don't mind paying. What I would love is the ability to do it anywhere.

Doesnt really help that it is bugged.

Just found out if you ask him to respec. Press 1 to accept the respec. To check the price. Then decline the price confirmation. It still goes up.

I thought i had waited 1 week since my last respec. So i checked the price. It now was 99k.

Yesterday when i checked the price it was 80k. And i didnt pay the 80k. So even if you dont pay. You still get a price raise.

So awesome job on the respec system. NOT

I personally believe that allowing different specs isn't going to hurt the game at all. I think it would be nice to be able to have a "healer" spec for when I'm running with Flashpoint groups, and a healer is needed.

Then, I want to go PVP and select my PVP spec, and enjoy that aspect of the game without having to drop 100k just to go do what I love doing when I'm bored of the PVE stuff.

Finally, another spec for PVE Solo content would be nice. I like to think of it as how Mages were in Dungeons and Dragons. You could memorize a certain amount of spells depending on what you thought the situation would require. They had books full of all the spells out there, but only used certain ones for each situation.

Sort of like how I'd imagine my Inquisitor. I guess I'm probably wrong in my thoughts on this in some people's eyes, but to me it makes sense. If we have these huge talent tree's of stuff that we could easily potentially know by simply sticking a point into it.

The naysayers think we should be stuck in one class, but the fact is,t hey do offer the ability to re-spec in the game. So why is it so unrealistic for there to be dual specs? You think it's the right thing to do to charge people hard earned credits simply to "memorize' skills they already know, but don't have the capacity to use due to lacking points?

If you trained as a quarterback your whole life, would you suddenly think you can play at wide reciever, just because you were the same uniform. Sure you probably can catch a football better than average, and your cardiovascular fitness is there, but that doesn't mean you understand the nuances of the position.

If it were me, I'd make it free, and put a 1 week cool down on it.

Edited by Rikalonius

The naysayers think we should be stuck in one class, but the fact is,t hey do offer the ability to re-spec in the game. So why is it so unrealistic for there to be dual specs? You think it's the right thing to do to charge people hard earned credits simply to "memorize' skills they already know, but don't have the capacity to use due to lacking points?

This is about as faulty as logic gets. They offer it, and they make the penalty high so people DON'T use it as a dual spec. Would you rather they didn't offer it? I think it's a good thing to have so that people can level one way and then figure out where they are going to be in the world at 50 and then modify for that. It is not, and was not, the intention of the developers to make it a dual spec proposition.

Whats the time limit on this and does it reset back to zero?

I am not positive, but I am under the impression that it takes 1 week of no respecing for it to drop back down to free. That would be 168 hours. The fee also increases with your level, so keep that in mind also.

Just wait for Dual-Speccing to come, unless you're a millionaire, to switch specs more than a few times a week. Then let a week go by without respecing.

Edited by Zebular

Pick a spec and stick with it. There is no such thing as dual spec in this game. I actually dislike the idea of dual spec, except for a pve and pvp spec. Otherwise, I don't see a reason for some one to change their spec often enough to the point that changing specs is too expensive. If your trying to be a pvp healer and pvp dps, don't. Pick a pvp healer or pvp dps and stick with it.

Pick a spec and stick with it. There is no such thing as dual spec in this game. I actually dislike the idea of dual spec, except for a pve and pvp spec. Otherwise, I don't see a reason for some one to change their spec often enough to the point that changing specs is too expensive. If your trying to be a pvp healer and pvp dps, don't. Pick a pvp healer or pvp dps and stick with it.

Duel spec will be in soon, so too bad for you.

"Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. "

Source: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

I did not mean it directly towards you, but dual spec is still not completely in line with my idea of how speccing should be

ToR is different than the other MMOs you've probably played. It was designed for social interaction. Many of the game mechanics are geared toward encouraging players to group together, regularly, to handle various tasks. This is evidenced by the need for all 4 gather skills on various flashpoints, the crafting mechanics, etc.

Bioware wants you to create a Character that you'll enjoy, of course. But, they also want you to create a functioning member of a team of Characters. You will not be able to be both heal and dps. You will be one, and you must find someone else to do the other.

Having to rely on other players / characters encourages you to form long term groups. Learn not just your own play style, but those of your fellow guildmates.

The 'meta-game' if you will is putting together a group that runs the game from start to finish as a group of 2 on homeworld, then 4 thereafter.

If you do that, you see 4 stories. The game takes about 3 times as long ( you share heroics, and many planetary quests ). You also end up ( if each player chooses differing skills ) with a group that easily negotiate any Flashpoint, and handle themselves well as a small unit in larger Ops.

By making use of crafting, such a group will also save a significant sum on credits that would otherwise be spend on items.

The problem isn't respec cost. The problem is that you haven't found a regular group that works together, as a whole, without the *need* for respec.

So, last time I respecced I got a message indicating that since a week had passed, the respect counter had reset. I think I paid 350 for it, then it said the counter had been reset and that my next respect should be free.

I'll take a look later on.