Stop ref link spammers!

Something really needs to be done immediately about the growing problem of a handful of players spamming chat offering Credits to Ref link clicks, this problem was bad but now and especially with the Cartel Market Sales it gotten outta hand! You cant play 5 minutes without a few people bombing chat nonstop about this. The whole point of this was to bring in NEW players, and it has failed miserably, now all there is is people paying players who are already subscribed to click. Its abuse of the system and its a problem that has become worse than credit vendors advertising on fleet.

There is, right click their name and go “report spam”. Once enough people do it, they get squelched and can’t use chat for a while. I’m not sure how long it lasts because I’ve never been squelched

It's great that you can personally attack me and call me names, yet the scammers who prey on people who don't know any better or are new to the game are A-OK in your book. It's awesome that you're fine with people gaming the program to make billions.

Ways it's a scam:

1) The scammer isn't honest as they never say that they are the ones who truly benefit with Cartel Coins every month. Yet, they're happy to say how many amazing "goodies" you get, which are mostly trash anyway, and love to say "go read the ToS" or "go read the Referral Program to see what it's all about" but somehow never want to just say "By the way, I get Cartel Coins every month as long as you're subscribed, so I can make billions on the GTN with all the packs I buy, which is why I can afford to bribe people who don't know any better with (chump change) 5 million credits", but they never want to put that part in for some reason.

2) They don't pay, then they put the unfortunate clicker on /ignore, and there are plenty of posts and complaints from people who have been scammed like that.

3) I doubt the referral program was ever meant to be abused in this manner which is why they "take care" of the scammers very quickly.

I know that it's not allowed or else my own /friend list wouldn't be full of referral scammers that, hmmmm, I never see online again within a few days of reporting their scam. Go figure.

If this really *were* allowed then wouldn't chat be flooded with referral spam? The fact that it isn't says a lot.

Thankfully, at least on Satele Shan, I don't see them very often any longer and certainly they're gone soon after reporting their scam.

TL;DR - Go ahead, keep fighting the good fight for the scammers who take advantage of people, real noble work.

You forgot another reason

4) They are asking for current subs who never used a referral to click their link which the terms specify is prohibited in the Equal Opportunity portion of the program.

So they are also scamming Bioware.

Edited by Sareeph

If you post your link once on general chat, is it actually "spam" 🤔?

No, it's not. It's just angry people jealous of somoene else getting coins.

You forgot another reason

4) They are asking for current subs who never used a referral to click their link which the terms specify is prohibited in the Equal Opportunity portion of the program.

So they are also scamming Bioware.

Why didn't you quote second bit about players who were subscribed as well?

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

It is nothing to do with jealousy lol, and everything to do with being constantly bombarded by these referral link spammers. Today on Darth Malgus they were posting one after the other so chat was full all the time. It has become far worse than guilds recruiting and is at the point where it is impossible to see anything that is going on in chat. I have given up today and closed general chat as I am sick of seeing their constant posting.

Why didn't you quote second bit about players who were subscribed as well?

Which part? the part where they say email your friend a link and have them log back in?

LINK UP: Give your friends your personal referral link and tell them to use the link as the first step when creating a new account or logging back in to an existing account. When they click through the link to create an account or log in, they are linked to you as your “Friend” referral.

If that's what you mean, logging in doesn't refer to a sub but rather anyone that has an account. If otherwise, I don't know what you mean so can not respond.

No it is just someone getting tired of people getting scammed. The community is small enough there is no reason to drive people away.

Lol worst post yet I guess your one of the annoying people on the fleet and planets doing it and then ripping off people the system was never designed to be abused on the fleet and planets it was to bring friends to the game and you get rewarded and I can't wait till Bioware starts warning these players.

No it is just someone getting tired of people getting scammed. The community is small enough there is no reason to drive people away.

Most people you claim they are spamming on DM are legit. I can personally vouch for most guys I see putting ads.

And from what I can tell by "scam", in this thread, you just mean that people are being paid a market price for the referral around 5 mil. If you feel like they're worth more you don't have to accept or feel free to advertise and pay more than that.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

No one should have to disable chat in order to avoid these people, MMOs are social games. I like talking to and meeting random people, its what makes this game fun, these ref link jerks are ruining that for many players. These people don't benefit the game in any way, they degrade the gaming experience, they are much worse than credit vendors because its many people i can ignore a few gold vendors and be fine, but every hour comes some new person blabbing about clicking links. I sat back once and saw 5 of them arguing about click mine because they scam, the other said click mine because ill pay more. It was the dumbest thing ever i have seen in this game. More and more are doing it and something really needs to change.

Best solution, to me, would be if there was a way for people to still 'advertise' their referral link, but with some sort of 1 hour-timer or cooldown on it. It's wishful thinking sadly, as there's no real way to monitor the chat with that much scrutiny. I don't agree with outright reporting people for spam because of posting their link, unless said individual literally posts his every minute.

I disagree with people saying they're worse than credit vendors, because those 'vendors' are obviously bots attempting to goad people into spending real money on websites in no way affiliated to SWTOR. Not to mention the private messages.

Edited by silenthc

Is it actually against the rules to advertise RAF in trade? I know it is on the forums, but is it in general chat?

It is not, as long as you keep a reasonable amount of time in between the messages, and you're forthcoming about what the trade includes. What the definition of 'reasonable' is in this case though, I can't say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.