The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So, how would YOU handle Carrie Fisher's/Princess Leia's death in future movies?

Lunafox

Which would have been fine, if their idea wasn't "Hey, let's kill them all off!"

Han, Luke then Leia. Dead. That's just lame.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. All of them have had integral roles in the films.

The actors aren't immortal and neither are the characters. It's not like a cartoon or video game where they can keep people alive forever. I'd rather have them explain away the deaths onscreen then just have them vanish or be recast.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. All of them have had integral roles in the films.

The actors aren't immortal and neither are the characters. It's not like a cartoon or video game where they can keep people alive forever. I'd rather have them explain away the deaths onscreen then just have them vanish or be recast.

They could have saved their deaths for episodes 10-12. They didn't have to kill them all off in the next 3 episodes.

Not to mention, they recast Vader. So there's precedence and again, they recast Chewie and no one minded. People cheered at the theater for cgi Leia in Rogue One.

My pro-tem headcanon is that as the Rebellion builds, Leia has shot to the top of the New Order's Most Wanted List as she goes about recruiting, fomenting rebellion and so on. So she's DEEEEEEP undercover; even her closest associates have not laid eyes on her since the Battle of Crait, for her safety and theirs.

But

Whenever a system goes into revolt, her name is the rallying cry. Her image becomes a symbol of rebellion. When our Heroes receive vital intelligence, her fingerprints and her advice are everywhere. She can't say where she is, and no one knows what she looks like these days, but behind the scenes, she's as powerful as Mon Mothma must have been against the Empire.

They could have saved their deaths for episodes 10-12. They didn't have to kill them all off in the next 3 episodes.

Not to mention, they recast Vader. So there's precedence and again, they recast Chewie and no one minded. People cheered at the theater for cgi Leia in Rogue One.

AFAIK the next set of films aren't going to follow this storyline at all.

James Earl Jones did the voice for Vader in Rogue One and Star Wars: Rebels. He was not recast. A different actor wore the physical suit in Rogue One, but JEJ has never worn it. David Prowse is now 82 years old and might not have been able to manage Vader's physicality at this point. People care about the voice and if that changed, and they recast JEJ, I am sure people would grumble.

Chewbacca was not recast. Peter Mayhew shared the role with another actor due to his health issues. He was very much a part of the filming for both movies.

The franchise has a history of being loyal to even minor actors. Femi Taylor was the poor slave Twi'lek in Jabba's Palace and they invited her back like 15 years later to film new footage. They brought back Ian McDiarmind came bacl as Palplatine even though there had been a long gap between the RotJ filming and the prequels. Warwick Davis was used again and again. They don't throw their actors away and IMHO that is a good thing.

The three original actors built those roles and IMHO they should never be replaced.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I'm not a huge JJ fan, my biggest concern is that his work tends to lack nuance, and this situation absolutely requires that. I do think that he respects the fandom enough to know he has to do this right, but I don't know if he'll be able to pull it off with the subtlety that it's going to need. I think it's probably safe to say that Leia's story arc will likely be different from whatever they originally intended. They have quite the job ahead of them, not only do they have to rethink their plans for the movie and make them fit with the set up and vision of the story, but they also have to find an appropriate way to say farewell to a beloved character, (whether it be through death, or exiting the story) without the presence of the person who brought her to life.

I think we've finally found something on this forum we all agree on; we don't envy the people who have to figure this out.

Edited by DuchessKristania

It's obvious that Leia footage from "The Last Jedi" was moved to the upcoming sequel finale: Episode IX. Carrie Fisher had wanted Episode IX to be centered around Leia. Consider the amount of filler material in The Last Jedi (Canto Blight sequence) alongside the inclusion of Laura Dern's "Not Leia" Holdo character.

Regardless, for many Disney has damaged the brand by making Star Wars into a brand. There should not be a new Star Wars movie each year with multiple animations on television (Lego Freemaker Adventures, Forces of Destiny, Rebels). Star Wars is not Marvel which has 80 years of storylines and characters from which to choose from.

This game is the last of the Lucas-era Star Wars.

Edited by jimmorrisson

If there's existing, unused footage originally shot for Ep VIII that could be fit naturally into the story they want to tell in IX, then I'm all for them using that. Beyond that, if they have to use CGI to incorporate any "new" scenes into the story, I hope they handle it through holograms or something else that can obscure her appearance enough to pass.

The Young!Leia CGI in Rogue One was smack in the Uncanny Valley, IMO, and that was when they only had to get about 20 seconds right. The role should definitely not be recast and they shouldn't try to overuse CGI to make Leia a major figure.

At this point it's fine to let the new generation of characters carry the story anyway, they don't need to use the OT characters as a crutch.

Which would have been fine, if their idea wasn't "Hey, let's kill them all off!"

Han, Luke then Leia. Dead. That's just lame.

It did feel a bit deliberate. It could've been for reasons...I know Harrison Ford wanted out of the part for years. I don't think Mark wanted out, but maybe he wanted to decide how Luke would go out...he can always come back as a Force Ghost, like Ben did, which is cool. It did feel like, even if Carrie hadn't passed away, she was being written out anyway, to make way for the next gen.

AFAIK the next set of films aren't going to follow this storyline at all.

James Earl Jones did the voice for Vader in Rogue One and Star Wars: Rebels. He was not recast. A different actor wore the physical suit in Rogue One, but JEJ has never worn it. David Prowse is now 82 years old and might not have been able to manage Vader's physicality at this point. People care about the voice and if that changed, and they recast JEJ, I am sure people would grumble.

Chewbacca was not recast. Peter Mayhew shared the role with another actor due to his health issues. He was very much a part of the filming for both movies.

The franchise has a history of being loyal to even minor actors. Femi Taylor was the poor slave Twi'lek in Jabba's Palace and they invited her back like 15 years later to film new footage. They brought back Ian McDiarmind came bacl as Palplatine even though there had been a long gap between the RotJ filming and the prequels. Warwick Davis was used again and again. They don't throw their actors away and IMHO that is a good thing.

The three original actors built those roles and IMHO they should never be replaced.

I do appreciate the loyalty they've shown other characters, I'd heard as well, that Peter Mayhew shared the role with another actor, and that another actor donned LV's suit. I'm hoping because of this past sensitivity they'll make the right choice, but talk of a recast has me worried. Disney seems to be a different entity than what LF was.

My pro-tem headcanon is that as the Rebellion builds, Leia has shot to the top of the New Order's Most Wanted List as she goes about recruiting, fomenting rebellion and so on. So she's DEEEEEEP undercover; even her closest associates have not laid eyes on her since the Battle of Crait, for her safety and theirs.

But

Whenever a system goes into revolt, her name is the rallying cry. Her image becomes a symbol of rebellion. When our Heroes receive vital intelligence, her fingerprints and her advice are everywhere. She can't say where she is, and no one knows what she looks like these days, but behind the scenes, she's as powerful as Mon Mothma must have been against the Empire.

I like this idea very much and it could work, and they could use extra footage like others suggested. Keep her in the shadows rather than in the open...and if it comes down to it, cgi would work as well.

I would not kill her off. Let princess leia live on in the new canon universe. IMO, this would be a better way to honor the death of Carrie Fisher; no need to kill Princess Leia, let her live on indefinitely. Edited by kirorx

I'd let her die from shame about a parallel universe in the far future which she predicts and where she is an actor in a major franchise, about how the SW franchise became such an impudent money making rip off with poor to no worthwhile content based on simple structured people who consume just every bs as long as it has a SW label, all since the pitifil and pathetic production of Episode 7....:-) Edited by Khaleg

The only recast of Carrie Fisher I will ever accept is Millie Bobby Brown (Seven from "Stranger Things") as a young Leia in some film or other. I dare anyone to look at the below pic and tell me she can't play Leia.

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMzA3Nzk3MTUwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAyNzAzMDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,785,1000_AL_.jpg

She'd be a good choice if they ever did a movie about when they were very young. :)

The only recast of Carrie Fisher I will ever accept is Millie Bobby Brown (Seven from "Stranger Things") as a young Leia in some film or other. I dare anyone to look at the below pic and tell me she can't play Leia.

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMzA3Nzk3MTUwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAyNzAzMDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,785,1000_AL_.jpg

I thought they found a Scandinavian actress for young Leia role? :confused:

I thought they found a Scandinavian actress for young Leia role? :confused:

I think they did as a model for the Rogue One shot, which was made CGI for Carrie Fisher's image when she was young.

This girl from Stranger Things, would just be a good choice, if they made something else that needed them to be very young.

I think they did as a model for the Rogue One shot, which was made CGI for Carrie Fisher's image when she was young.

This girl from Stranger Things, would just be a good choice, if they made something else that needed them to be very young.

Yeah I picture her--at the age she is now--maybe around Ezra's age in Rebels. If a film was placed in that era (for whatever reason) Brown could easily be a young Fisher.

You realize, of course, that is business political speak. They did NOT say Leia wouldn't be in the film. All they said was Fisher wouldn't be in the film. That still leaves open the whole possibility of her character being recast and Disney going "Oh, well, we never said we wouldn't do THAT".

I would jump forward in time (which I hope they do anyway, for story purposes). Have Poe and Rey with a scene where they reflect on what happened. There is no need to force anything to the screen, as it can all be handled in the dialogue.

You realize, of course, that is business political speak. They did NOT say Leia wouldn't be in the film. All they said was Fisher wouldn't be in the film. That still leaves open the whole possibility of her character being recast and Disney going "Oh, well, we never said we wouldn't do THAT".

I don't think they need to recast, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that option, if Leia is critical to the story.