6.0 - Back To Imp.v.Pub - PC Faction Switch!!

Seelvir

So, when the Alliance meets its inevitable end, I think you guys should make crossing over a real thing. My Triple-Agent wants to make a permanent home in the Republic. My ruthless Dark Side Trooper is sick of namby pamby pubs, and he wants to join the Empire - maybe Tavus had it right all along. My Light Side Warrior wants to purge all traces of the Emperor from herself, and believes that joining the Jedi Order and meditating with the wisest seers in the galaxy might bring her lasting peace. My Fallen Knight sees a power vacuum in the Empire, and can think of no one better to fill it than himself. My Fallen Knight doesn't want to annihilate the galaxy, but he's seen the kind of power the Emperor had, and he wants a little bit of that power to control people, to live eternally, and yes, maybe that's a slippery slope, but he thinks he can handle it ... because of course he thinks that.

Crossing over doesn't mean Smugglers get red shields and Warriors stop being all red-faced. It doesn't mean that Troopers forsake their cannons in favor of pistols, or that snipers forsake their rifles for pistols either. Everything stays the same, but now you're just on the other faction.

Now, I know Inquisitors joining the Republic and the Jedi Order would have to stop flinging lightning, so that's a complicating factor, but I'm sure you guys can work that out.

Also, this means 16 class stories for the xpac in 6.0. You can do it.

Also, get your animation department on the lightsaber-whip-thingy. Imagine the money you'll rake in when you direct sell a platinum-rarity lightsaber-whip-thingy that actually swishes around. Heck, for that you could invent Diamond-Rarity and charge 5 figures of CCs for it.

Lastly, we need a Stronghold on Copero, or maybe Makeb. Actually, how about both. These ideas should all be really easy to implement, but if you have any questions, just ask me. I haven't even run my newest idea by you guys yet. I'm still working on it, but the rough draft is this:

"Valkorian/Vitiate lives on, having transferred his consciousness yet again to another creature, the ultimate host of that storied consciousness: a heinous Sith-Alchemical merging of DNA from Kephess and Revan. Think of it - the Eternal Darth Revephess Reborn Again, Junior. The most terrifying antagonist in the entire Star Wars IP since SAND ITSELF!"

There might be a few kinks in that idea, but I think you get the gist of it.

Can't wait for 6.0 guys!

Yes please.

That would be great. Should also be doable. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Honestly, I'm expecting some lame written reason why we go back to our original faction, and that'll be it. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. But it took them almost 2 years to complete a single raid, so I'm not having any great expectations for faction changes.

Would be awesome if we could, but I'm too disillusioned at this point to even remotely hope.

Earth to Seelvir! Do you copy? We can't hear you cause you seem to lose all connection with reality, :D

16 class stories, seriously? We will be very lucky if they at least bring back faction stories. That's the limit we can hope for. Faction switching? Never gonna happen. I am, however, really curious how they gonna handle choice on Iokath if everyone goes back to their home faction while sided against it there.

Edited by Gelious

I think we will actually be able to join the opposite faction in the story, but in other game-play as OPS and such we are probably going to stay with our current factions.

I'm so making a dark Jedi if this is a possibility :D

I think we will actually be able to join the opposite faction in the story, but in other game-play as OPS and such we are probably going to stay with our current factions.

I'm so making a dark Jedi if this is a possibility :D

This is pretty much how Iokath works. In story only you are allied with the other faction, but in all other gameplay you are still original faction. It's been fine except the accidental inability to group with anyone who didn't choose the same faction as you for the operations - did they fix that?

This is pretty much how Iokath works. In story only you are allied with the other faction, but in all other gameplay you are still original faction. It's been fine except the accidental inability to group with anyone who didn't choose the same faction as you for the operations - did they fix that?

Exactly, which is why I figure this is how it's going to be moving forward. I actually don't know. But I haven't tried to side with the opposite faction yet, so haven't had the opportunity to test it.

get your animation department on the lightsaber-whip-thingy. Imagine the money you'll rake in when you direct sell a platinum-rarity lightsaber-whip-thingy that actually swishes around. Heck, for that you could invent Diamond-Rarity and charge 5 figures of CCs for it.

I - really - hope you're joking. The "light-whip" is one of my major grievances with the old EU, and it screams of rule of cool. imo it is one of the worst things ever created by SW fans, and shouldn't be anywhere near Disney's universe (unless you're talking about the whips seen in TLJ in which case, they're not lightsabers anyway) and SWTOR.

Faction switching? Never gonna happen. I am, however, really curious how they gonna handle choice on Iokath if everyone goes back to their home faction while sided against it there.

Never say never, gotta have at least - some - hope bc Iokath. :D

So, when the Alliance meets its inevitable end, I think you guys should make crossing over a real thing. My Triple-Agent wants to make a permanent home in the Republic. My ruthless Dark Side Trooper is sick of namby pamby pubs, and he wants to join the Empire - maybe Tavus had it right all along. My Light Side Warrior wants to purge all traces of the Emperor from herself, and believes that joining the Jedi Order and meditating with the wisest seers in the galaxy might bring her lasting peace. My Fallen Knight sees a power vacuum in the Empire, and can think of no one better to fill it than himself. My Fallen Knight doesn't want to annihilate the galaxy, but he's seen the kind of power the Emperor had, and he wants a little bit of that power to control people, to live eternally, and yes, maybe that's a slippery slope, but he thinks he can handle it ... because of course he thinks that.

Crossing over doesn't mean Smugglers get red shields and Warriors stop being all red-faced. It doesn't mean that Troopers forsake their cannons in favor of pistols, or that snipers forsake their rifles for pistols either. Everything stays the same, but now you're just on the other faction.

Now, I know Inquisitors joining the Republic and the Jedi Order would have to stop flinging lightning, so that's a complicating factor, but I'm sure you guys can work that out.

Also, get your animation department on the lightsaber-whip-thingy. Imagine the money you'll rake in when you direct sell a platinum-rarity lightsaber-whip-thingy that actually swishes around. Heck, for that you could invent Diamond-Rarity and charge 5 figures of CCs for it.

Lastly, we need a Stronghold on Copero, or maybe Makeb. Actually, how about both. These ideas should all be really easy to implement, but if you have any questions, just ask me. I haven't even run my newest idea by you guys yet. I'm still working on it, but the rough draft is this:

"Valkorian/Vitiate lives on, having transferred his consciousness yet again to another creature, the ultimate host of that storied consciousness: a heinous Sith-Alchemical merging of DNA from Kephess and Revan. Think of it - the Eternal Darth Revephess Reborn Again, Junior. The most terrifying antagonist in the entire Star Wars IP since SAND ITSELF!"

There might be a few kinks in that idea, but I think you get the gist of it.

Can't wait for 6.0 guys!

Not going to happen. Two reasons: 1)huge amount of work which bw cant do now because of skeleton crew);2) it will kill republic once and for all. People will go on empire side since they are stronger.

They better not force you to go back to your original faction after letting you pick which one to side with on Iokath. That would be extremely disappointing. I'm fine with them just letting you be with the other faction in the actual story but gameplay wise you stick with your original, like it is now. Although it would be cool if you could actually fully switch.

They better not force you to go back to your original faction after letting you pick which one to side with on Iokath. That would be extremely disappointing. I'm fine with them just letting you be with the other faction in the actual story but gameplay wise you stick with your original, like it is now. Although it would be cool if you could actually fully switch.

What do you mean "fully switch?" I don't see how that's possible, it'd essentially be like Bio creating a whole other class, because for example, smugglers obviously don't have near enough skill to be an imperial agent, at least not an agent of that caliber.

Not going to happen. Two reasons: 1)huge amount of work which bw cant do now because of skeleton crew);2) it will kill republic once and for all. People will go on empire side since they are stronger.

1. True, sort of. If such a thing were to be done, it would probably be done in SWTORv2

2. False. I don't know exactly what you mean by "stronger" but it probably refers to PvP. Personally, if such an option was available, none of my Republic characters would go Imperial, but I have at least 3 Imps that would switch to Pub. Since I (and many others) don't PvP, "stronger" has no relevance. :)

What do you mean "fully switch?" I don't see how that's possible, it'd essentially be like Bio creating a whole other class, because for example, smugglers obviously don't have near enough skill to be an imperial agent, at least not an agent of that caliber.

I mean if you're an agent or whatever imperial class you could switch to republic and then the game acts like you're a republic character in that you go to the republic fleet, are in republic chat, play with republic characters. I highly doubt they're going back to class stories, it'll probably just be an imperial storyline and a republic storyline like makeb was so that wouldn't really be a problem.

I don't think they'll actually do this because it would be difficult for them technically but it would be cool. I mean you do have republic and imperial players being able to play together in some warzones now.

I mean if you're an agent or whatever imperial class you could switch to republic and then the game acts like you're a republic character in that you go to the republic fleet, are in republic chat, play with republic characters. I highly doubt they're going back to class stories, it'll probably just be an imperial storyline and a republic storyline like makeb was so that wouldn't really be a problem.

I don't think they'll actually do this because it would be difficult for them technically but it would be cool. I mean you do have republic and imperial players being able to play together in some warzones now.

Yeah I agree, it'd be super hard, even if it was with some so-called "SWTORv2" to actually do crossovers. HOWEVER, what I think would be equally as good, and a lot more do-able, is if they slow small "nods" in, they don't have to be huge, but maybe reference a little of their past?

It's been fine except the accidental inability to group with anyone who didn't choose the same faction as you for the operations - did they fix that?

Nope. Still will kick you from a group if you are not the same choice of faction as the group leader. It's a problem they did not solve before it rolled out, and it is not likely one they will solve going forward, because I don't know how they would fix it (and I don't think they do either).

This full faction switch (going to the republic fleet instead of imperial, etc) will never happen. It is too complicated.

What if you are in a guild? If you switch factions from Imperial to Republic you can't be in an Imperial guild... This is just one example of a major complication in the coding that makes this kind of thing extremely unlikely.

Don't know if it's possible to switch faction, but I honestly can't see my main Jedi Knight Outlander ever going back to the Republic. She's more of a creature of the Empire now, probably always was, so yeah, don't see that happening.

I suppose one route they could take for faction jumpers is to clone the worlds--like say DK is the Sith main world and Coruscant is the main Rep world...they could clone these 'capitals' and have it to be like 'Sith Coruscant' and 'Rep DK' where players who have jumped faction can go and report their missions, or rule, or whatever it is they're supposed to do. I'm not sure how hard it would be to 'clone' a world, but this could be one way to accommodate the faction jumping character. Of course, stuff like Fleet could stay the same, as can the other worlds where both factions can go, it would just be a matter of having that 'flavour' of being on the other side...

Everything else would remain as it is, guilds and stuff, you'd only have the cloned world be different in the story aspect.

ETA: Could also clone the strongholds on those worlds so faction switchers can live on 'the capital'.

Edited by Lunafox

Yeah this is one reason why i didn't pick other side of which toon ie my Sith Jug didn't side with pub even though she felt betrayed by the emperor after defending him and becoming his wrath and she wanted to loose all that, so if she joined republic on Iokath she still has to be an imperial with everything else so i didn't see the point,

she even saved arcann and had a romance with him (she was full darkside before Knights.

But if i new this would ever happen i would of chose the other side as at least i know it would of meant something in the end.

such a shame as this would of been awesome and would of really made sense to story and everything we accomplished in Knights and fallen.

Edited by Morvoldo

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm as excited about faction switching as you all are, and I honestly can't wait to see what they do with the 16 new class stories, but the thing I am --MOST-- excited about BY FAR is the emergence of the Eternal Darth Revaphess Reborn Again, Junior. This game needs more iconic adversaries, and nothing could be more iconic than this trinity of evil all wrapped into one guy.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm as excited about faction switching as you all are, and I honestly can't wait to see what they do with the 16 new class stories, but the thing I am --MOST-- excited about BY FAR is the emergence of the Eternal Darth Revaphess Reborn Again, Junior. This game needs more iconic adversaries, and nothing could be more iconic than this trinity of evil all wrapped into one guy.

I somehow read that in a total Kanye voice. Errr. :p

I'm stumped for trying to predict how they're going to handle this--there are so many variables to be considerate of. The Alliance we've all built up, our roles as Peacekeeper/Emperor/Empress of Zakuul, the billion companions all from varying backgrounds, factions and class stories. Some dead, some exiled, some who have deliberately walked away from the Empire/Republic and wouldn't be inclined to return. Cross-faction romances in a sense for say, a Jedi Knight who began dating Lana. I can't see Lana defect to the Republic and Jedi, even if she isn't your typical Sith. Theron, while he has fair reasons to feel disillusioned with the Republic and may be less inclined to want to return. I can't see him siding with the Empire if that is where our PC chooses to go.

I have little faith that Bioware has the funds and resources to pull off actually defection or faction switching. They could very well create a sort of 'instanced' version of say Dromund Kaas and Coruscant (as in CH2 of KOTET when we visit Acina) so a Jedi who's defecting will have their new capitol city and truly feel like they're now part of the Empire but... will Bioware make that effort? Which then also means they have to keep providing that alternative going forward, and thus invest in it, or will they pass up on doing so and force us to return to our original factions regardless of what we choose or have chosen during the Iokath chapter? It would basically add a layer of work, possibly almost doubling their work, no matter how easy or small it may seem to us and I think KOTFE/ET has proven they'd prefer to simplify things and shoehorn the whole deal.

And again, the companions. If you're a Jedi Knight married to Lana, but forced to return to the Republic, how will they handle that? A long distance relationship, a forced break up? Or will they force Lana to, for your sake, embrace the Jedi? What about Theron, or Koth? Arcann may fit in with both the Jedi and Sith but considering his path to redemption, the fact he has previously admitted he still struggles at times, I don't imagine being at the heart of the Empire would benefit the change he's trying to make. If anything he'd be surrounded by constant temptation and much of the sort of behavior he's been trying to conquer within himself.

My Jedi Knight, while she has no interest in the Throne, has been fairly disillusioned with the Republic. She'd hate to go back to the people who turned against her and once more serve as a lackey to Satele and the Supreme Chancellor. Will the game force her to do so anyway? Will she have the option of siding with the Empire, a faction she has a far better rapport with now?

I'd love to know how they're going to handle all of this. I'm hoping for a creative solution that'll truly surprise us, and be considered acceptable to the majority of players but right now, I can't see how they'd pull that off. Time will tell.

I honestly can't wait to see what they do with the 16 new class stories,

There will not be 16 class stories. You're going to get single story played from 2 sides ala Makeb. Nothing else. Besides, there are 8 class stories*** anyway -- not 16.

Don't go getting excited just yet.

*** - Because there are only 8 classes in the game.

Edited by Keta

No we won't. There's no reason why at the Iokath point in the story that a sorcerer can't choose the side they want to ally with and have their alliance permanently side with their choice in 6.0, whilst keeping all their original sith like abilities. All this would need is a good story (and obviously writers) to make it a thing. In the game now we have NPCs on the empire side who use project and telekinetic throw which are jedi abilities - even Valkorian was chucking stuff at us so no reason why are abilities can't follow us to our chosen side.

If they did go down the permanent switch route that might actually save the game and make it a lot more fun after 4-5 years of marginally better than meh.

yes we would need 16 different "stories" ( not really stories, just story scenes.. )

that is 16 folks .... 2x4 for "republic" =8 2x4 for "empire" =8 = 16 total ...

the way they have been giving us "one story fits all" for this long a time... do you really think they will take the time and effort (and MONEY) to do 16 different ( although only very slightly different) story starters for us ? really ? and what about immersion?

we have to be still be at the original fleet --- they had a nice story cop out for us last time--- but it will not work a second time.... Imperials need to be on Imperial fleet --- same for Republic ... no copping out this time ....

no, I see us going back to our original factions per story necessity ....

*Of course* they have time and money for 16 class stories. It wouldn't even be that hard or expensive. Keith was supposed to do a whole "wild west train robbery" thing with our Umbara strongholds, and he totally didn't, and I can't think of any reason why that development was shelved except but to make room for the new faction-switching narratives.

Besides ... like, after being the Commander of the Alliance, do you think the Republic military is gonna be all like "hey trooper guy, come on back and just run a single little spec ops team, we totally forgive and forget your efforts against us." Or the Dark Council is going to be all like "heyyyyy Darth Noxxy baby! We're so glad to have you back, we TOTALLY forgive all that stuff you did as Emperor of the Eternal Alliance. You'll just take your seat back at the Pyramid of Secrets, amirite? aww ... THIS GUY /headnoogie on Darth Nox."

I mean, they're gonna have to completely blow up all our character narratives to have it make any sense for even for Imps to go back Imp and Pub to go back Pub, so while they're in there doing ALL NEW things ANYWAY ... you know ... faction switching can be a thing now.

It's gonna be amazing. I know it.

I am begginning to think OP is just having some fun and this thread is meant to be a joke.:D

This part was first clue, along with "16 class stories"

Well done, OP! 11/10, I really believed you!:D

Edited by Gelious

*Of course* they have time and money for 16 class stories. It wouldn't even be that hard or expensive. Keith was supposed to do a whole "wild west train robbery" thing with our Umbara strongholds, and he totally didn't, and I can't think of any reason why that development was shelved except but to make room for the new faction-switching narratives.

Besides ... like, after being the Commander of the Alliance, do you think the Republic military is gonna be all like "hey trooper guy, come on back and just run a single little spec ops team, we totally forgive and forget your efforts against us." Or the Dark Council is going to be all like "heyyyyy Darth Noxxy baby! We're so glad to have you back, we TOTALLY forgive all that stuff you did as Emperor of the Eternal Alliance. You'll just take your seat back at the Pyramid of Secrets, amirite? aww ... THIS GUY /headnoogie on Darth Nox."

I mean, they're gonna have to completely blow up all our character narratives to have it make any sense for even for Imps to go back Imp and Pub to go back Pub, so while they're in there doing ALL NEW things ANYWAY ... you know ... faction switching can be a thing now.

It's gonna be amazing. I know it.

we will see --- I have very little to NO hope atm ---

do we have enough writers to pull it off ? ---

and there is the Fleet issue --- yes I know I know --- "minor" detail, but not for the continuity of the story imo ....

as a Jedi I should be able to come back ( for Pete's sake how many times did Revan come back to the order ? )

ok don't make me a Grand Master because of my going Empire, ( this is just me talking now-- I have no way of knowing whether we get the title or not; but would be a neat option for some)

I don't want to have anything to do with the Jedi Council anyway --- after I had to come in and save their .... when they got attacked ---

I'll just stay Master, more useful title anyway .....