Please keep the conquest system alive!

HrRav

This will be a long post, so let me start by summarising the main message:

SWTOR is a fantastic game, with a lot of great content. However, it needs high-quality repeatable content, such as for example the conquest system. The main motivation for participation in conquest is TO WIN A PLANET---the rewards have a very small value. Unfortunately, the recent changes to the conquest system have killed the fun for many players, in particular from small and medium-sized guilds. The main problem is that it will be almost impossible for small guilds to win planets. This needs to be fixed immediately, before too many players loose interest for the conquest system and an important group activity dies. There are some straightforward changes which would restore the fun without completely abandoning the new system:

• The conquest points must be adjusted so that players can collect the personal target on at least one toon per week by playing their favorite part of the game a few days a week.
  • There must be enough incentives for large guilds to compete against other large guilds and stay out from planets that are possible targets for small guilds.
  • More than three planets must be up for conquest some weeks, otherwise the same old large guilds will win every week.
  • Crafting costs and rewards must be adjusted (preferably back to the old system) in order to help small guilds produce large amounts of conquest points during dedicated weeks.

BACKGROUND

First of all, I would like to thank Bioware for creating SWTOR. I have played computer games since the early 80s and this is without competition the game which I have played the most. The game has the Star Wars setting, exciting story content and a lot of unique game qualities (gsf being my personal favorite). I have been a subscriber since start and I have played almost every part of the game and it has been a lot of fun, but let us face facts: It is not worth keeping a subscription for the small amount of content that is added every now and when.

What keeps players here is the repeatable content and the possibility to play with friends. Thus, repeatable group content (ops, flashpoints, pvp, gsf and conquest) is a key to keeping players in the game. This is why galactic command was such a disaster; it required players who actually just wanted to play fun stuff with their friends to first do an insane amount of grinding in order to obtain decent gear. There was a point last year when I started looking for other games and was about to cancel my subscription, but then you fortunately finally realised that galactic command did not work and gave us back the possibility to quickly gear a toon by playing group content. You also made other improvements to group content for example by merging servers and updating the ship balance in gsf. I thought that the game was back on track. But then came this "update" of the conquest system...

CONSEQUENCES OF THE NEW CONQUEST SYSTEM

What you do not seem to understand is that the main reason for playing contest is not the rewards (which have little value) but the possibility to win a planet (or at least to compete about a spot on the top ten list). Thus, to keep conquest attractive to as many players as possible, it must be possible for small and medium-sized guilds to win a planet. That was possible in the old system, but seems impossible with the new system as there are only three planets up for conqeust each week. The result is that the three largest guilds on each server will take one planet each, because the difference in rewards between small yield and large yield simply is not enough compared to the glory of winning a planet. Moreover, the big nerf on crafting has eliminated the possibility for a small guild with hard-working crafters to compete with a larger---but less dedicated---guild during crafting weeks.

WAY FORWARD

Since you do not have enough resources to add a lot of new group content to the game, it is vital that you at least maintain the group content that we already have. Although there are some good ideas in the new conquest system (in particular that we do not have to fill our strongholds with junk to get the conquest bonus), the net impact is that conquest is a lot less fun than before. This means that many guilds will loose an important group activity, which has been a large motivation to keep playing the game.

Fortunately, it should be straightforward to deal with the problems, but this needs to be done quickly! As I see it, the following changes are necessary:

• The conquest points awarded for different activities must be adjusted so that the effort to reach the personal target on a toon is reasonable. For example, with the old system it usually took me less than 20 starfighter matches to achieve my personal target on each starfighter toon. With the current system, I get 7500 conquest point for the weekly quest on one toon and then need to play more than 35 matches to get to my personal. For the next toon, I need to play more than 70 matches!
  • The difference in rewards must be much larger if there should be any chance that large guilds prefer to compete with other large guilds about the large yield planets. Small yield planets should be more or less about the honour. The guild targets should be set by the number of toons in a guild that are capable of reaching the personal target. An idea for rewards could be something like this:
    1. Small yield: 15 toons * 15k = 225k guild target. Rewards: 50k credits + 1 jawa junk

2. Medium yield: 30 toons * 15k = 450k guild target. Rewards: 50k credits + 5 jawa junk + 1 gathering lockbox

3. Large yield: 60 toons * 15k = 900k guild target. Rewards: 100k credits + 10 jawa junk + 1 gathering lockbox + resource matrix + one encryption

4. Very large yield: 120 toons * 15k = 1.8M guild targret. Rewards: 150k credits + 20 jawa junk + 2 gathering lockbox + 4 resoruce matrix + one encryption

Besides, guilds should always be rewarded if they are on the top ten list, regardless if they have achieved the guild target or not. This would give small guilds a possibility to compete for the large yield planets in case it is impossible to win the small yield planet because they have been invaded by larger guilds.

[*]There must also be weeks when more than three planets are up for invasion. Lower rewards for small yield planets is probably not sufficient to keep large guilds from competing with smaller guilds. Therefore, there must be weeks when there are more planets up for invasion than the number of large guilds on the server. Total galactic war was the main opportunity for small guilds to win a planet in the old system and we would plan in weeks before how to coordinate our efforts.

[*]

[*]There must be crafting weeks, where crafting provides enough conquest points that players who have made a real effort to collect materials can have a great impact on the top ten list.

I'll read the rest later, but something stuck out to me and I wanna mention it before I forget.

Small guilds really shouldn't have a chance to win a planet. That would be obnoxious to implement mechanically, and make no sense in lore. A scrappy band of four or five friends may be able to win PvE, but Conquest is PvP, and those four or five friends cannot - and should not - be a threat to 400-500 friends when it comes to literally conquering a planet.

I think it should be easier to hit Personal Conquest Goal - GSF and other repeatable objectives aren't worth near enough points. I also think Once-Dailies should apply to characters rather than legacies. I really only get to play about three days a week, and I have significantly more than three characters. I think 5.8a improved on 5.8, but that there are still many ways in which Conquest can be improved.

But making it so that small guilds can easily beat out big guilds? No.

Signed,

Officer in a guild in which only 3-5 players bother with Conquest any given week.

Small guilds really shouldn't have a chance to win a planet. That would be obnoxious to implement mechanically, and make no sense in lore. A scrappy band of four or five friends may be able to win PvE, but Conquest is PvP, and those four or five friends cannot - and should not - be a threat to 400-500 friends when it comes to literally conquering a planet.

I think it should be easier to hit Personal Conquest Goal - GSF and other repeatable objectives aren't worth near enough points. I also think Once-Dailies should apply to characters rather than legacies. I really only get to play about three days a week, and I have significantly more than three characters. I think 5.8a improved on 5.8, but that there are still many ways in which Conquest can be improved.

I am not requesting that small guilds should easily beat large guilds, but they should have a possibility to sometimes compete for a win.

I am not requesting that small guilds should easily beat large guilds, but they should have a possibility to sometimes compete for a win.

A smaller guild with more accounts than alts should be able to beat a larger guild with more alts than accounts. That was the biggest issue with the pre-crafting. My 20 person active guild (with 20 accounts) should be able to beat a 5 person guild with 9 alts each. Guilds with more active accounts were at a disadvantage against guilds where most of the members were alts because it is much easier to get 5 people to do something than it is 20. The current system goes too far but it was the right idea.

A smaller guild with more accounts than alts should be able to beat a larger guild with more alts than accounts. That was the biggest issue with the pre-crafting. My 20 person active guild (with 20 accounts) should be able to beat a 5 person guild with 9 alts each. Guilds with more active accounts were at a disadvantage against guilds where most of the members were alts because it is much easier to get 5 people to do something than it is 20. The current system goes too far but it was the right idea.

This makes no sense at all.

If your guild of 20 have 5 people that want to compete and 15 people you cannot "get to do something" then no, those extra 15 should not help you beat 5 dedicated people with alts just by being there.

And the point is moot anyway. Bottom line here is simple. By taking away the opportunity to win from smaller guilds you are killing an important part of the game. Regardless of how you think it should work in a perfect world, this game does not need to lose more activities and players.

And before someone comes in to tell us small guild people "if you want to win that badly, just join a bigger guild" - no, I want something meaningful to do with my friends.

Now the alternatives are lose the friends, which would make us leave the game, or lose the meaningful activity which will also make us leave. Lose/lose situation that needs to be fixed asap.

Conquest is not PvP, conquest is mainly a guild activity and a active small guild should be able to win a conquest.

The old systems was magnitudes better . The new crafting part and to less solo activities like H2 missions are the greatest fail.

The best to repair this disaster is a complete rollback to the old system and values.

SWTOR is a fantastic game, with a lot of great content. However, it needs high-quality repeatable content, such as for example the conquest system. The main motivation for participation in conquest is TO WIN A PLANET---the rewards have a very small value. Unfortunately, the recent changes to the conquest system have killed the fun for many players, in particular from small and medium-sized guilds. The main problem is that it will be almost impossible for small guilds to win planets. This needs to be fixed immediately, before too many players loose interest for the conquest system and an important group activity dies. There are some straightforward changes which would restore the fun without completely abandoning the new system:

• The conquest points must be adjusted so that players can collect the personal target on at least one toon per week by playing their favorite part of the game a few days a week.
  • There must be enough incentives for large guilds to compete against other large guilds and stay out from planets that are possible targets for small guilds.
  • More than three planets must be up for conquest some weeks, otherwise the same old large guilds will win every week.
  • Crafting costs and rewards must be adjusted (preferably back to the old system) in order to help small guilds produce large amounts of conquest points during dedicated weeks.

BACKGROUND

First of all, I would like to thank Bioware for creating SWTOR. I have played computer games since the early 80s and this is without competition the game which I have played the most. The game has the Star Wars setting, exciting story content and a lot of unique game qualities (gsf being my personal favorite). I have been a subscriber since start and I have played almost every part of the game and it has been a lot of fun, but let us face facts: It is not worth keeping a subscription for the small amount of content that is added every now and when.

What keeps players here is the repeatable content and the possibility to play with friends. Thus, repeatable group content (ops, flashpoints, pvp, gsf and conquest) is a key to keeping players in the game. This is why galactic command was such a disaster; it required players who actually just wanted to play fun stuff with their friends to first do an insane amount of grinding in order to obtain decent gear. There was a point last year when I started looking for other games and was about to cancel my subscription, but then you fortunately finally realised that galactic command did not work and gave us back the possibility to quickly gear a toon by playing group content. You also made other improvements to group content for example by merging servers and updating the ship balance in gsf. I thought that the game was back on track. But then came this "update" of the conquest system...

What you do not seem to understand is that the main reason for playing contest is not the rewards (which have little value) but the possibility to win a planet (or at least to compete about a spot on the top ten list). Thus, to keep conquest attractive to as many players as possible, it must be possible for small and medium-sized guilds to win a planet. That was possible in the old system, but seems impossible with the new system as there are only three planets up for conqeust each week. The result is that the three largest guilds on each server will take one planet each, because the difference in rewards between small yield and large yield simply is not enough compared to the glory of winning a planet. Moreover, the big nerf on crafting has eliminated the possibility for a small guild with hard-working crafters to compete with a larger---but less dedicated---guild during crafting weeks.

WAY FORWARD

Since you do not have enough resources to add a lot of new group content to the game, it is vital that you at least maintain the group content that we already have. Although there are some good ideas in the new conquest system (in particular that we do not have to fill our strongholds with junk to get the conquest bonus), the net impact is that conquest is a lot less fun than before. This means that many guilds will loose an important group activity, which has been a large motivation to keep playing the game.

Fortunately, it should be straightforward to deal with the problems, but this needs to be done quickly! As I see it, the following changes are necessary:

• The conquest points awarded for different activities must be adjusted so that the effort to reach the personal target on a toon is reasonable. For example, with the old system it usually took me less than 20 starfighter matches to achieve my personal target on each starfighter toon. With the current system, I get 7500 conquest point for the weekly quest on one toon and then need to play more than 35 matches to get to my personal. For the next toon, I need to play more than 70 matches!
  • The difference in rewards must be much larger if there should be any chance that large guilds prefer to compete with other large guilds about the large yield planets. Small yield planets should be more or less about the honour. The guild targets should be set by the number of toons in a guild that are capable of reaching the personal target. An idea for rewards could be something like this:
    1. Small yield: 15 toons * 15k = 225k guild target. Rewards: 50k credits + 1 jawa junk

2. Medium yield: 30 toons * 15k = 450k guild target. Rewards: 50k credits + 5 jawa junk + 1 gathering lockbox

3. Large yield: 60 toons * 15k = 900k guild target. Rewards: 100k credits + 10 jawa junk + 1 gathering lockbox + resource matrix + one encryption

4. Very large yield: 120 toons * 15k = 1.8M guild targret. Rewards: 150k credits + 20 jawa junk + 2 gathering lockbox + 4 resoruce matrix + one encryption

Besides, guilds should always be rewarded if they are on the top ten list, regardless if they have achieved the guild target or not. This would give small guilds a possibility to compete for the large yield planets in case it is impossible to win the small yield planet because they have been invaded by larger guilds.

[*]There must also be weeks when more than three planets are up for invasion. Lower rewards for small yield planets is probably not sufficient to keep large guilds from competing with smaller guilds. Therefore, there must be weeks when there are more planets up for invasion than the number of large guilds on the server. Total galactic war was the main opportunity for small guilds to win a planet in the old system and we would plan in weeks before how to coordinate our efforts.

[*]

[*]There must be crafting weeks, where crafting provides enough conquest points that players who have made a real effort to collect materials can have a great impact on the top ten list.

You are so right - thumb up

Guilds with more active accounts were at a disadvantage against guilds where most of the members were alts.

How is this so? In the old system, the only way a guild with more active accounts is at a disadvantage to a smaller guild with less active accounts is if the larger guild does less work on their alts, and that is their decision to do less work.

By gimping gameplay and choices of the players in the game this reduces the flexibility in which players can choose to play. I honestly feel like options are good in a MMO which is why I hated the RNG crate gearing system of 5.0.

I can easily see how many players would dislike the changes in conquest, and judging by the response it appears more players are unhappy with conquest now than before.

One guy explained it well from the perspective of the devs, that being a specific design model was implemented and is being followed.

The devs have created a very deliberate path for conquest, and if changes occur, they will be very small alterations to the new system. People need to forget the old system, it only will cause grief living in the past.

Make suggestions, but don't waste your time telling them to roll back the old system, it won't happen. This is the direction they want to go with conquest, whether it is right or wrong it's clear that is not the players choice.

This reminds me of how private emu servers run for old MMOs... They develop and run the server as they want, players have little impact on how the server is ran and if you don't like it you can leave. The difference is emu servers are free.

Excelent post. Perfect match with my opinion.

I really like the suggestion of rewards for diffrent planet sizes.

Maybe the planet size should also change from time to time to give smaller guilds a chance to conquer all planets.

I hope BW will take the right decisions.

But I am not sure and cancelled my sub therefore. Let's see what happens with 5.9.

I think all guilds should be able to take a planet. With the old system it was possible with crafting and in rare occasions. The new system it is impossible for even large guilds to take a planet with the exception of 1-2 guilds per server. So since the top10 is no longer a competition in one way conquest now only exists for 2 guilds.

This is why I would like them to do the same that they did with top10 for planet conquer. Instead of 1 guild taking a planet, multiple guilds take the planet together. Different ways this could be done:

1.) Just have a planet threshold number for conquest like we have for top10.

2.) Or have a very big number that all guilds invading total to take planet. Like maybe a large planet would be 10,000,000, so 1 big guild invades and no other guild does anything, big guild cannot reach the 10M so the planet isn't conquered. But all guilds participating help get the total over 10M, then yay. Very similar to real battles, adding armies of other countries to the battle front (even small armies) can win the battle.

Or something different like dividing guild conquest gains by number of hours of player activity or something.

Either way, small guilds should have a path to taking planets, and should NOT be forced to compete with a big guild to accomplish it.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

I am in full agreement with you. A small guild should be able to conquer a planet. It should also be easier to reach the personal goal with several alts. Conquest crafting were my thing, I enjoyed it very much and spent a lot of time to gather materials and to plan upcoming crafting weeks. This just isnt fun anymore. Now it takes an even longer time to gather all the required materials to make one Invasion Force. If my calculations are correct the cost of crafting ONE Invasion Force is 780 base materials (672 if using the cheapest schematic for Infantry Supply kit, which probably is a bug why it's still there anyway). I agree that the effectiveness of conquest crafting needed to be nerfed a bit, but not it's material cost elevated. It would have felt much less impactful if just the points was reduced by like 50% leaving the material cost as it was. I really like conquest, always have, but if this is how its gonna be from here on... I don't think I want to participate anymore. :frowning:

I'll read the rest later, but something stuck out to me and I wanna mention it before I forget.

Signed,

Officer in a guild in which only 3-5 players bother with Conquest any given week.

Yep, fully agree. Alone the remote idea that small guilds which don't make the enormous effort to run a big one should have any business in winning planets is absurd^1000.

Edited by Khaleg

Signed,

If your band of four friends have an atomic bomb, they can conquer anything they want, and the 400-500 friends aren't even a threat.

And that's what repeatable crafting objectives during crafting weeks were all about. If the 4 friends worked hard to craft their "atomic bomb", meanwhile the 400 were playing football thinking no one could harm their due to their numbers, the 4 friends shoud absolutely have the right to conquer the planet.

And I can promise you, it was NEVER easy. I am leader of a small guild, and it's been nearly 6 months since we began to prepare to go against larger guilds. We were almost finished, when Bioware released 5.8 and changed the schematic for crafting our "atomic bombs" with no warning

So now, we're left with a lot amount of mats that are now useless to make our bombs. Mats that we spend 6 months of our time and energy to gather. And I'm not even talking about credits and real money involved....

How is that fair?

Edited by Caferal

The ideal system would be that there is enough variation in conquest objectives, rewards and number of planets to invade that all kind of guilds should every now and then have a chance to conquer a planet. Of course, most weeks it will just be a competition between the largest guilds on each server. However, with the current system, there will ALWAYS be a competition between the large guilds and what is then the point for the rest of us?

The bottom line is that conquest will be dead for a lot of players and urgent actions are necessary to keep it alive!

Well I agree with the writer of this forum post!

BACKGROUND

WAY FORWARD

[*]

My prinary drive for doing conquest is to gt encryptions for my guild ship. I'm in a small guild with 2-4 active players. I managed to hit my goal on three characters, down from being able to hit it on 5-6 and still do other things in the game. Only one other guild member was able to hit their personal goal, because we're adults with jobs and families, and stuff like that. With the old system at least three of us were hitting our conquest goals with three or more characters. It was a fun thing we could work together on, in addition to the other stuff we enjoy in the game.

If we could still do stuff on multiple toons the 200,000 goal would be a breeze. In fact, that was typically around where we ended up. Once, during a crafting week we were able to make it to 3rd place on a planet. We'll probably never conquer a planet, but we could save up encryptions for our ship. Too much is gated behind once per legacy now and doing conquest on multiple characters takes a lot of strategy. Hitting it on three toons this week made the game feel more like a job than fun.

Edited by DuchessKristania