Well, I guess Kotaku gave us their own Producer's Note. SWTOR could Shut Down

ZionHalcyon

So you want them to confirm, that there has been talk about shutting the game down, when they might not know yet? Or confirm things, when they don't have a set date yet? How could they without making things worse?

Also, still think BioWare employees should keep there mouth shut. As much as I like news and leaked info, this kind of news is not doing anyone any favours.

Because its wrong to give people the truth so they can stop wasting money thats going into a project theyve no interest in??

Id rather know then not know. We aren't made of money, every $ matters in our house, if its not going back into making swtor more awesome I should know it.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, you're not the only one. I still think there will be one but you could easily be right. They do seem to emphasize the returning companions quite a bit I admit.

But then again if they need 6 weeks for a roadmap, surely it will contain more than companion alerts...right?

Anyone in his right mind will expect a roadmap with more than alerts, but the damage they have done this game and the outright insane decisions as of late have lowered my expectations so much, that an expansion will surely surprise me quite a lot. Especially after they ran away lightning fast....like actually using force speed lol from the livestream when the questions about the article began.

Edited by ExarSun

Because its wrong to give people the truth so they can stop wasting money thats going into a project theyve no interest in??

Id rather know then not know. We aren't made of money, every $ matters in our house, if its not going back into making swtor more awesome I should know it.

But that's just it. It's not the truth - it's speculation.

What are you talking about? It's done me a huge favour.

And if it turns out that it's not going to happen, is it still a favour? Sure it might have saved you some money in subscription, but beyond that would it really have helped you in any way? Do you think it helped the game or it's future?

If you have a company that is in financial trouble, but you don't yet know if it's going bankrupt, you don't tell your employees until you know for sure. If you considering to have your dog put down, but it might actually pull through it's sickness, do you tell your children?

It's fine that you think it helped you, I just still think its a terrible idea on the employees part.

In the Livestream with Timothy Zahn, Charles pointed out that any future collaboration with Timothy would have to wait at least a year because they had a year's worth of content in the works--that was in November I believe. Sam Wall-whateverhernameis who worked for BW and moved on to something else, Tweeted in I believe October that she was leaving 6 months of story behind.

I guess, if you put your faith in those words and barring any inconveniences, there's at least some stuff still coming. A wrap-up on the traitor story, the last (?) ops boss and continued companion returns. But what comes after? Is it a wrap-up to enter maintenance mode/shut down, or is it a wrap-up to enter a new expansion?

And while they may have been working on this content for months, the returns of Risha, Corso and Andronikos sure as hell didn't feel like months of work or even dedicated planning. It felt like they had Scyva mostly ready and then...

BW1: Okay so we have Scyva's release coming up in January to bring new content to the PvE'ers

BW2: Yeah but nothing for the story players, they'll riot

BW1: True... well let's pick a few, say three companions and toss them in

BW2: Three?! But we have no story for them, we're still working on the traitor plot! And think of the time it would take to write three stories, create the scenes and record all of them!

BW3: Or we just toss them in an alert, a quick "Hey this is what we've been up to, missed ya, love ya" and done!

BW1: Ooh good thinking! And hey, let's limit them only to their original class!

BW2: Hell take 2 companions of the same class, that will cut down on scenes to create!

BW1: BRILLIANT! See, this is why we're paid the big bucks! ... Okay now who's up for a game of Cards Against Humanity?

Maybe the next returning companions will get better treatment but I'm losing faith in BW which is a weird place to be in, I haven't really felt this negative or let down by them in the past.

In the Livestream with Timothy Zahn, Charles pointed out that any future collaboration with Timothy would have to wait at least a year because they had a year's worth of content in the works--that was in November I believe. Sam Wall-whateverhernameis who worked for BW and moved on to something else, Tweeted in I believe October that she was leaving 6 months of story behind.

I guess, if you put your faith in those words and barring any inconveniences, there's at least some stuff still coming. A wrap-up on the traitor story, the last (?) ops boss and continued companion returns. But what comes after? Is it a wrap-up to enter maintenance mode/shut down, or is it a wrap-up to enter a new expansion?

And while they may have been working on this content for months, the returns of Risha, Corso and Andronikos sure as hell didn't feel like months of work or even dedicated planning. It felt like they had Scyva mostly ready and then...

BW1: Okay so we have Scyva's release coming up in January to bring new content to the PvE'ers

BW2: Three?! But we have no story for them, we're still working on the traitor plot! And think of the time it would take to write three stories, create the scenes and record all of them!

BW3: Or we just toss them in an alert, a quick "Hey this is what we've been up to, missed ya, love ya" and done!

BW2: Hell take 2 companions of the same class, that will cut down on scenes to create!

BW1: BRILLIANT! See, this is why we're paid the big bucks! ... Okay now who's up for a game of Cards Against Humanity?

Maybe the next returning companions will get better treatment but I'm losing faith in BW which is a weird place to be in, I haven't really felt this negative or let down by them in the past.

There is a good chance that they will milk us along until the launch of anthem, at which point they will determine the actual fate of the game.

It could also be that they are simply trying to get them "out of the way" so they can focus on new content.

And if it turns out that it's not going to happen, is it still a favour? Sure it might have saved you some money in subscription, but beyond that would it really have helped you in any way? Do you think it helped the game or it's future?

If you have a company that is in financial trouble, but you don't yet know if it's going bankrupt, you don't tell your employees until you know for sure. If you considering to have your dog put down, but it might actually pull through it's sickness, do you tell your children?

It's fine that you think it helped you, I just still think its a terrible idea on the employees part.

Don't you worry about me. You worry about yourself and I will worry about me...fair enough? Just don't try to speak for everybody else. That's kind of annoying.

And to set your mind at ease I don't have any pets nor any children. You guys are really getting melodramatic about this stuff. And I'm blessed enough in my life that the sub money isn't a concern for me....probably because I don't have kids or pets.

But really, I'll be fine. I've done this before in other MMOs I played before and I haven't regretted it before. I don't do this on a whim, this is the result of 3 years of disappointments. If anything I held on for a long time before doing this.

But that's just it. It's not the truth - it's speculation.

When SWG was slated to close they told us upfront, in June even though it wasn't closing until December. That is what BW should do, either say the rumors are false or that they are looking at closing SWTOR. Honesty is always the best policy.

That's not his problem (her? Sorry, name is ambiguous).

His position has been " the lack of content, information, and communication has exceeded my personal threshold. I'm not currently having fun, and have no reason to believe that will change any time soon. If it does, I'll readdress".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

That's SO much preferable to the attitude we often see instead, which is "I kept subscribing while I was miserable and not having fun, now you OWE me these things I want."

Edited by ArdeliaAgain

Don't you worry about me. You worry about yourself and I will worry about me...fair enough? Just don't try to speak for everybody else. That's kind of annoying.

And to set your mind at ease I don't have any pets nor any children. You guys are really getting melodramatic about this stuff. And I'm blessed enough in my life that the sub money isn't a concern for me....probably because I don't have kids or pets.

But really, I'll be fine. I've done this before in other MMOs I played before and I haven't regretted it before. I don't do this on a whim, this is the result of 3 years of disappointments. If anything I held on for a long time before doing this.

lol, triggered? I didn't say that everyone felt this way, but that I thought it was a bad idea. I don't care about you in the slightest, I was simply making a comparison and the reasoning for me thinking its a mistake. :)

That's not his problem (her? Sorry, name is ambiguous).

His position has been " the lack of content, information, and communication has exceeded my personal threshold. I'm not currently having fun, and have no reason to believe that will change any time soon. If it does, I'll readdress".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I never said it was :) I was simply explaining, why it isn't necessarily helpful to leak stuff like this.

When SWG was slated to close they told us upfront, in June even though it wasn't closing until December. That is what BW should do, either say the rumors are false or that they are looking at closing SWTOR. Honesty is always the best policy.

It's the most honest and nicest policy, but it is not always the smartest strategic policy. Especially if you need subscriber numbers to convince EA that they should keep the game alive. This has probably lowered the numbers of subscribers, which in turn means that they might no longer have the numbers to convince EA to keep them going.

Not saying that you feeling that way is wrong, just saying why I believe that in cases that are undecided it's a bad idea - especially if that employee wants to keep their job.

This exactly.

Id rather they took the time to do things properly and tell us thats what they are doing -- communication goes a long way -- content done right is worth waiting for. This almost no communication and half arsed efforts in content speaks for itself.

I never said it was :) I was simply explaining, why it isn't necessarily helpful to leak stuff like this.

No you weren't. You were stacking assumptions about me as if you had any clue where I was coming from. And to answer your question above...yes that sort of thing does trigger me.

Since you also voiced that you don't care about me (which is fine), please feel free to stop refering to me entirely and leave me out of your misguided ramblings.

Well, as a Mass Effect and Miranda fanboy for years i absolutely rioted in front of my PC during ME3. The infamous ending gave me the rest, so since then i have absolutely no trust in Bioware anymore. I knew MEA would fail when they announced it and unfortunetely i was right. It was a gut feeling, paired with mostly story related objective facts. The only reason why i don't see SWTOR as another corps YET is the lack of alternatives. But the mismanagement of the SW license by EA has been already tremendous, so...who knows...

And after this TLJ ******** i don't even want Disney do intervene. But i won't go into this anti - SJW rant here. I keep my hatred for myself...calm...calm...:mad::mad::mad:

BioWare's 2 minute long stream earlier today pretty much confirmed they are stalling. Not only are they delaying the roadmap again, we most likely won't see one. We will see a game shutdown announcement before any roadmap. BioWare is on their last leg here and the stream proved it.

How did "the roadmap should be ready in about mid february" translate to "there won't be a roadmap"?

It's the most honest and nicest policy, but it is not always the smartest strategic policy. Especially if you need subscriber numbers to convince EA that they should keep the game alive. This has probably lowered the numbers of subscribers, which in turn means that they might no longer have the numbers to convince EA to keep them going.

Not saying that you feeling that way is wrong, just saying why I believe that in cases that are undecided it's a bad idea - especially if that employee wants to keep their job.

Sadly this seems to be the case and I doubt any amount of subs will stop the EA wreck anyways. Theyve already proven they are willing to give up everything bioware for Anthem, they dont care about anything else and only care about what initial money anthem will fetch then itll go the same way.

No you weren't. You were stacking assumptions about me as if you had any clue where I was coming from. And to answer your question above...yes that sort of thing does trigger me.

Since you also voiced that you don't care about me (which is fine), please feel free to stop refering to me entirely and leave me out of your misguided ramblings.

1. When I used "you" it was a general term - not you specifically

2. Relax

3. Personal attacks are not necessary :)

Sadly this seems to be the case and I doubt any amount of subs will stop the EA wreck anyways. Theyve already proven they are willing to give up everything bioware for Anthem, they dont care about anything else and only care about what initial money anthem will fetch then itll go the same way.

Sadly, I think you might be absolutely right. I'm a little nervous about Dragon Age as well. I really love that franchise.

Well, as a Mass Effect and Miranda fanboy for years i absolutely rioted in front of my PC during ME3. The infamous ending gave me the rest, so since then i have absolutely no trust in Bioware anymore. I knew MEA would fail when they announced it and unfortunetely i was right. It was a gut feeling, paired with mostly story related objective facts. The only reason why i don't see SWTOR as another corps YET is the lack of alternatives. But the mismanagement of the SW license by EA has been already tremendous, so...who knows...

And after this TLJ ******** i don't even want Disney do intervene. But i won't go into this anti - SJW rant here. I keep my hatred for myself...calm...calm...:mad::mad::mad:

MEA only 'failed' because ea dropped it right out of the frying pan instead of giving it the time and attention it deserved.

A handful of vocal people didnt like the story etc fine cant appeal to everyone but heaps did love it yet they gave it a couple of patches and zero dlc.. stupid move.

It still has high stars from those who did play it on xbox one but a few listened to the bad press and refused to buy it. The game is solid and mass effect. Not original trilogy, no, nothing could be but still a great game. It got a smear campaign before it was even launched and instead of doing right by it and the fans EA dropped it.

Why? Because they put everyone on Anthem instead and now they are doing it here too.

SWTOR is the only EA game I still give $$$ to currently and if they stop generating content for it im done with EA for good and I won't be looking back.

I'm in this same boat. This is the only EA game I'm playing, and once SWTOR is gone, so too will be my wallet. The only way to stop them from continuing their "get rich quick" business model that is ruining games and studios is to stop giving them money. Vote with your wallet, as the saying goes. So yes, after SWTOR, I'll be avoiding EA games just as I currently avoid NCSoft games.

Thankfully, we still have game studios like CD Project Red who still make spectacular games.

Even though they were upfront, it was cause they were forced to be. It wasn't until the SWTOR in development announcement that SWG made theirs known, even though they knew at least a year beforehand that they were going to shutter.