Well, I guess Kotaku gave us their own Producer's Note. SWTOR could Shut Down

ZionHalcyon

Charles Boyd already said this wasn't going to be the last expansion on a live stream, Keith said in 2017, he wasn't going to talk about the expansion coming in 2018.

Surely I don't need to say more? Be skeptical if you want to, nothing wrong with that. But this is what they said.

They also once said that they wouldn't let a year go by without adding a new ops...and then they changed their plans and it took 3 years.

Personally I still expect an expansion still to come out but if Bioware is really in as much trouble as I think they are, then it will probably be the last one that officially brings in maintenance mode. That's just my view on it.

But plans do change, so don't take their words as a solid promise.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Boyd already said this wasn't going to be the last expansion on a live stream, Keith said in 2017, he wasn't going to talk about the expansion coming in 2018.

Surely I don't need to say more? Be skeptical if you want to, nothing wrong with that. But this is what they said.

You can't really go by what they said in the past. Plans change. And if the current status is "up in the air" then whatever plans they had months, weeks or even days ago are subject to change. Which is why communication around here is always so sparse. I have a feeling plans are like the wind at BW.

Edited by kodrac

Eric Musco also once said ShadowRealms was still in active development 3 weeks before they closed it.

You never know who knows what and when...

You can't really go by what they said in the past. Plans change. And if the current status is "up in the air" then whatever plans they had months, weeks or even days ago are subject to change.

Certainly, but we don't know if plans changed, until they say otherwise, that's all we can go by.

Edited by Eshvara

That means no content till 2019! Thanks BW. Wohooo. Haters will hate!!!11!

Seriously, if that's true, I am looking forward for the Anthem catastrophe and the follow-up to Visceral storyline. Considering how BW Austin has been handling this game, that's a matter of fact now that they are working for Anthem.

That means no content till 2019! Thanks BW. Wohooo. Haters will hate!!!11!

Seriously, if that's true, I am looking forward for the Anthem catastrophe and the follow-up to Visceral storyline. Considering how BW Austin has been handling this game, that's a matter of fact now that they are working for Anthem.

lol yeah! Now we really know why the 1 raid boss every few months....it wasn't cause players wanted content sooner, it was cause there no damn team to make anything! what a damn joke

I never said I refuse to believe this game could come to an end, I'm saying I refuse to go with silence as a confirmation.

I believe the kotaku post, but that doesn't mean it's directly verified or official. Until we see a post by an EA/BW representative, we don't have any proof. Nor do we know what's truly going on behind the scenes.

The problem is they haven't addressed this as of yet. If it was me and I saw all these posts and I knew it was false I would have immediately informed the people of that. The longer they ignore the situation the worse it will get for them.

"... There are still small teams maintaining Star Wars: The Old Republic .."

What the heck. If Bioware already had shutted down this game to maintenance only mode, without telling any customer here before, then i want a statement please here.

1st making promises in a stream then this from a newspage. Customers 3rd class or what? Not good enough to getting new content ever?

Edited by Bladeofhonour

"... There are still small teams maintaining Star Wars: The Old Republic .."

What the heck. If Bioware already hat shutted down this game to maintenance mode only, without telling any customer here before, then i want a statement please here.

1st making promises in a stream then this from a newspage. Customers 3rd class or what? Not good enough to getting new content ever?

BBAU - BioWare Business as Usual.

The problem is they haven't addressed this as of yet. If it was me and I saw all these posts and I knew it was false I would have immediately informed the people of that. The longer they ignore the situation the worse it will get for them.

Well that is rather a good point there. Clearly it's created unrest and they could've said, guys, we know this article is out there but don't worry, we're going to continue to bring out new content and all will be fine.

Now, if the article is in fact wrong, then there really is no reason not to appease people. As of yet, they've dodged the topic completely. So that does make a person wonder.

Certainly, but we don't know if plans changed, until they say otherwise, that's all we can go by.

Bioware won't say anything for now because if it's true imagine the rage and people will be doing charge backs galore to try and get money back from CM purchases even game time.

Bioware won't say anything for now because if it's true imagine the rage and people will be doing charge backs galore to try and get money back from CM purchases even game time.

If it's true there would be rage, if it's not true people want some proof that it's not because it's been a while since we've heard anything and they may not be ready to give out anything yet. Therefore then being quiet is probably the easiest thing and people can keep speculating until further notice.

So as they haven't said anything, you know for a fact that it's true?

Edited by Eshvara

If it's true there would be rage, if it's not true people want some proof that it's not because it's been a while since we've heard anything and they may not be ready to give out anything yet. Therefore then being quiet is probably the easiest thing and people can keep speculating until further notice.

Well they did commit to a roadmap so they can't stay silent for much longer. At some point silence becomes an admittance.

I still would love to see what bethseda could do with the Star Wars IP.

If EA ever does lose the license, I hope Disney gives it to a group that tells very strong stories.

If they allowed it to be modded as heavily and easily as Skyrim, I would never ever play another game again :) (except the occasional Skyrim playthrough :D )

with that logic, every murder defense lawyer in the world would love to have you on the jury.

Isn't it innocent until proven guilty? There is no evidence other than kotaku. I believe they have reliable sources, but until there is an official statement, it doesn't really prove anything.

Isn't it innocent until proven guilty? There is no evidence other than kotaku. I believe they have reliable sources, but until there is an official statement, it doesn't really prove anything.

Innocent until proven guilty yes. However by your logic, the only murderers who would ever be convicted are those who confess.

The same song and dance was done back before the announcement of the creation of SWTOR, and the death of SWG, but we all see how that turned out. If there is one lesson that I have learned from playing mmo's for many years, it's that unconfirmed and anonymous sources tend to be the most honest and reliable sources of information.

Edited by Holocron

I would agree with you on that.

But if I was a game developer and I would see this unrest, I wouldn't want to wait to let people know it's all nonsense and that all is fine.

Once they do finally comment on this I would love to know what reason they would have to let this fester if it was definitely not true. I'm open to find out such a reason but I can't come up with any reasonable reason why they haven't calmed these threads down with a simple comment other than that there is actually truth to it and they're still trying to figure out what exactly is going to happen to them and how to communicate it.

The same song and dance was done back before the announcement of the creation of SWTOR, and the death of SWG, but we all see how that turned out. If there is one lesson that I have learned from playing mmo's for many years, it's that unconfirmed and anonymous sources tend to be the most honest and reliable sources of information.

I could name just as many wild, unfounded rumors about any number of MMOs that turned out to be garbage. Unconfirmed and anonymous sources have had Blizzard shutting WoW down, secretly working on WoW2, and so forth since before BC came out. I guess it's like Nostradamus...given a long enough timeframe, eventually he'll be right 100% of the time?

That's the thing about confirmation bias....something only has to happen once before that's held up as "here's what we've learned" for all time.

Innocent until proven guilty yes. However by your logic, the only murderers who would ever be convicted are those who confess.

No, the perpetrators would be guilty when there is evidence found against them or when they confessed. In this case, the evidence can only be confirmed by EAware, and only EAware can confess. This isn't a court issue however. Anonymous information does not count as solid proof. I don't know what else to say to you. I also thought you had me on ignore as I was a "troll"🤔

I would agree with you on that.

But if I was a game developer and I would see this unrest, I wouldn't want to wait to let people know it's all nonsense and that all is fine.

Once they do finally comment on this I would love to know what reason they would have to let this fester if it was definitely not true. I'm open to find out such a reason but I can't come up with any reasonable reason why they haven't calmed these threads down with a simple comment other than that there is actually truth to it and they're still trying to figure out what exactly is going to happen to them and how to communicate it.

I get your argument, and I wouldn't necessarily say you're wrong. But a lot of absurd rumours have been going around, and they didn't reply to much of them. I can't blame them for it. Replying to every single negative rumour is exhausting and pointless.

No, the perpetrators would be guilty when there is evidence found against them or when they confessed. In this case, the evidence can only be confirmed by EAware, and only EAware can confess. This isn't a court issue however. Anonymous information does not count as solid proof. I don't know what else to say to you. I also thought you had me on ignore as I was a "troll"🤔

I did. I took everyone off in a gesture of Goodwill since it looks like we're nearing the end here with SWTOR.

By the way, in your cute little analogy, you failed to mention that the author of the article has a history of breaking BioWare news that over time has all borne out to be true.

I could name just as many wild, unfounded rumors about any number of MMOs that turned out to be garbage. Unconfirmed and anonymous sources have had Blizzard shutting WoW down, secretly working on WoW2, and so forth since before BC came out. I guess it's like Nostradamus...given a long enough timeframe, eventually he'll be right 100% of the time?

That's the thing about confirmation bias....something only has to happen once before that's held up as "here's what we've learned" for all time.

Well swtor dev have had a penchant for denying dataminers for example, yet the miners track record of truth coming to the game has been well over 90%.