The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT Shield low level build

Kaipei

Trying to get some input on this. When levelling a Shield Powertech, should all my points go into the shield tree before peeling off into the dps trees? Are there any indispensable talents for the dps trees before shield as I'm levelling? Currently lvl 23.

I honestly don't see why you would want to level as Shield.

I've been adv proto for the first 37 levels of the game (11/28/2). Been tanking both FPs and HC4s without any problem at all. So there's no need at all to level as Shield, unless you're RPing.

I've been leveling as shieldtech and have been enjoying it greatly. Currently level 38 and I've spent all my points in the tree. You may not kill enemies as quickly as going dps but you're pretty much invincible and there's still some decent damage buffs you get along the way going up the tree and some cool abilities like jet charge.

I honestly don't see why you would want to level as Shield.

I've been adv proto for the first 37 levels of the game (11/28/2). Been tanking both FPs and HC4s without any problem at all. So there's no need at all to level as Shield, unless you're RPing.

^ this.

For very early levels Adv Proto is actually a better tanking spec because of the short cooldown on Flamethrower. Shieldtech doesn't really offer anything neat until you're 24 and can fully flesh out the 3rd tier. Only then do you get another tanking cooldown and shield venting.

At that point Shieldtech becomes a bit more interesting, the difference isn't really all that noticable yet, but more interesting.

Once you hit 26 and can fill out Flame Shield I'd argue that Shieldtech is the best leveling spec (perhaps tied with Pyro who is filling in Prototype Particle Accelerator at about the same time) from then all the way up until the mid to late 30s. At that point the near-automatic Rocket Punch crits are again surpassed by the DPS specs.

At that point on the higher up you go the worse at leveling Shieldtech is compared to the other trees. Grinding is easy, but it takes a long time comparatively even with a DPS companion like Gault or Torian. You're arguably a better tank, but the instances don't really need you to be a better tank so why bother?

Ouch guys .. way to put a man down!

If the guy wants to level as a Shieldtech, just give him some advice on how to best accomplish this goal instead of telling him hes wrong and should go a different tree untill the mid levels (honestly level 30 as shieldtech is just killer)

To OP:

Start out by puttnig 3 points into Intimidation, the majority of your attacks are going to be fire attacks and the added damage is going to help.

Next put 2 points into Combust, this will help you survive a bit better when doing those Heroic +2 missions. Flame Thrower should be your one of your staple moves by this point, it really is amazing.

Tier 2 talents:

Ion Overload is a godsend. This ability allows Rocket Punch (which you should be using constantly) to automatically discharge your Ion Gas Cylinder, adding a pretty significant % of damage to the attack.

This will take you to level 16, and ready to tank Hammer Station. If you want you can wait until level 18 and put 2 points into Rebraced Armor, which will add 16% to your total armor making you significantly harder to kill from melee attacks. (assuming you have current gear)

My best suggestion for the lower levels is to get to level 18, and do some Warzones until you can afford the level 20 PvP set. This armor will rock for the Hammer Station FP!

Ouch guys .. way to put a man down!

If the guy wants to level as a Shieldtech, just give him some advice on how to best accomplish this goal instead of telling him hes wrong and should go a different tree untill the mid levels (honestly level 30 as shieldtech is just killer)

I don't think they were being harsh. Frankly I'm leveling shield tech myself and I really hadn't considered snaking into the middle tree and then switching specs around 30.

meh I lvl'd as an AP in beta... it didn't feel tanky enough. Wristblade was fun tho.

As a shieldtech, you're there to tank, so grab everything that will assist with tanking!

Must haves: Anything to upgrade Ion Cylinder, Anything to Decrease Damage Taken (Combust ++++)

Staple Move: Rocket Punch-Bread&Butter for damage in PvE/PvP, as it does a fair amount and automatically applies your ion cylinder's DoT.

I personally took the 2 pts in Railshot dmg over the 2 extra points in flame damage due to Railshot being my favorite followup to rocketpunch. We don't have the damage of DPS classes, but ExDart+Jetcharge+Rocketpunch+Railshot is a fair amount of frontloaded damage.

The boxes I personally avoid in shieldtech are the Aim+++ boxes and the Jet Speed (30% movement increase after a charge)

The boxes I personally reccomend grabbing in the other 2 trees:

8% Rocket Punch dmg increase (Pyrotech tier 1 talent)

60% Armor Ignore for Railshot (AP tier 1 talent)

the Cylinder Upgrade box (AP Tier 2 talent)

The rest is up to you :)

I'd recommend leveling AP, then switching to Pyro when you ding 25-27 and you can get 3/3 of whatever it's called that has a 30%/45% chance to reset railshot and make it free. Soon as I dinged 27 i was destroying mobs with this spec. It was good before that, but the rail shot reset is just murder...

I can't speak to shieldtech experience...I considered it between 10-14 when I was aweful, but at 15-17 you start to get more PT skills that make you better again. I pretty much run pyro with mako exclusively healing. Still pretty invicible...I solo 2+ heroics if they're mobs I can kite.

I'd recommend leveling AP, then switching to Pyro when you ding 25-27 and you can get 3/3 of whatever it's called that has a 30%/45% chance to reset railshot and make it free. Soon as I dinged 27 i was destroying mobs with this spec. It was good before that, but the rail shot reset is just murder...

I can't speak to shieldtech experience...I considered it between 10-14 when I was aweful, but at 15-17 you start to get more PT skills that make you better again. I pretty much run pyro with mako exclusively healing. Still pretty invicible...I solo 2+ heroics if they're mobs I can kite.

Actually 24-34 Shieldtech is a phenominal spec to level with, it is when it shines most as a leveling spec. Pyro has some tricks as well, but around a 5 second cooldown on Rocket Punch which has a 50%+ chance to crit is pretty much unbeatable. The 50% crit chance on Flame Sweep is very strong for these levels as well (Flame Sweep seems to start out strong and then not scale very well through the levels).

So really, before 24 I recommend Adv Proto. Early Pyrotech is pretty lame and early Shieldtech is actually a worse tank since fast cooldown Flamethrower makes threat so easy.

IF you're interested in tanking then Shieldtech's best range as a leveling spec is 24-34. If you're not interested in tanking then I do believe that Pyro is better for this level range than Adv Proto, Prototype Particle Accelerator is pretty slick.

At about 35 Shieldtech starts to really lag behind as a leveling spec. Honestly you wont really notice it until you see another PT or other classes grinding alongside you. You're still tough as nails, but your damage starts to really suck comparatively and it only gets worse the closer to 50 you are. In the 40's certain pulls can actually be more dangerous as Shieldtech because you lack the damage output to put anything dangerous down efficiently.

It is 35+ where Adv Proto really starts to shine imo (well, shine again, it is really good for early levels). It's middle is pretty mediocre compared to Pyro. Both DPS specs are an awful lot more efficient for killing the rest of the way up.

So that is my advice on optimal leveling efficiency if you're made of credits and don't mind future respec costs being equal to the down payment on a Death Star.

Thank you for the replies. I am interested in tanking well and not being just another guy in armour. I'm willing to take the slower levelling if it means more experience in tanking flashpoints and grouping in heroics. So far it's been a blast.

When I look at popular endgame PT builds they have points in the dps trees. My only quandary is when I actually put those points in the dps trees; after I've maxxed the shield tree or somewhere in between? So far I'm going to follow up the shield tree and see how it goes. If I see a serous lack of dps I'll think about putting points in Iron Fist(which looks great), Prototype or Puncture.

~K

Edited by Kaipei

I have leveled as a Shieldtech with no problems. Currently level 40 and have most points invested in that tree. If you keep Mako properly geared up, there's nothing that you can't solo at you level. I have soloed elites and even champions 2-3 levels higher than me. Unless you get lazy or sloppy, there's literally nothing that can stop you.

You don't really see the benefits of Shieldtech until around levels 20-25, when all of your point investments start to pay off. We are not a DPS class, so damage output is lower, but not gimped as some would say. It takes longer to kill stuff, but you don't have the downtime of regenerating health between pulls.

Invest 3 points to get the 60% Rail Shot armor ignore. That's money well spent, and spend it early. Other than that, fill out your Shieldtech tree as you see fit.