The Gear Grind

Lattervane

Emm, well, timed Nightmare runs, not far off 100% ops completion in the legacy tab and high elo ratings in solo and group ranked on different classes, i would beg to differ.

Nice try though. Now back to you're flashpoint progression team

Under the old system this is no issue. Under the new one, as I believe it, I need to get my "command rank" to 400 on both and then do the rituals to gear my alts.

Kinda uppity for a guy who thinks there is a command rank 400, don't you think?

Emm, i am not new to the game. I fully understand what legacy gear is thank you very much.

And therefore you even make less sense when you say "Under the old system this is no issue ...", I was being as thorough as I can explaining how can the new system help you gear alts (not cross server, but that was never a thing) without ranking them. I was thorough because you gave the impression you don't know it, and if you knew all I said before I said it, then you made no sense before. Regardless this is a public post, so even if YOU know something, it is still useful to have it written for readers who don't...

Since you seem to be leaning more toward's the dev's are good at their job rather than "devs please QQ" i will ask you this. How do you feel about someone who has never even done a HM let alone a NiM raid having BiS highest ilevel gear with no real effort?

You genuinely believe that, that is a fair concept?

Dude, 1st you say gearing is impossible, in between you complain about BioWare not caring about raiders and now you say gearing should be high content exclusive because it is too accessible for people who don't play top content. It seems to me that it is you leaning toward "I hate this game and BioWare for various reasons", rather than the OP which seemed to be only interested in the gearing problem, so I suspect you will find reason to dislike me or hate BioWare, even more, no matter what I answer you but will answer your question anyway:

Since PVE gear is also PVP gear now, BiS MUST be reachable by other means than NiM ops. You can't ask that in PVP you will have to do ranked to get BiS either, because that means that to get the BiS you will 1st have to go ranked with underrated gear, giving your whole team a disadvantage and ruining their precious rating. So BiS PVP gear (which is also BiS PVE gear) must be achievable without even doing RWZ, and now in order not to give PVPers too much advantage other PVEers, the same form of progression must be possible in PVE, which means easier content must advance you toward BiS. These are called "constraints", while not optimal, it is unrealistic to just ignore them.

You genuinely believe that, that is a fair concept?

Calling the fact that NiM raiders get BiS fastest but other are not completely locked away from it "unfair" is a bit elitist, don't you think?

Emm, well, timed Nightmare runs, not far off 100% ops completion in the legacy tab and high elo ratings in solo and group ranked on different classes, i would beg to differ.

Nice try though. Now back to you're flashpoint progression team

Ohh, nevermind, this answers my last question... (radioactive glowing toxicity)

[by the way, timed runs mean nothing because all NiMs were at some point underleveled, so those lucky enough to have been playing in that period had it kinda easy. I myself decided it would be funny to go EV NiM with 3 friends, like a FP, and it as easy. Ranked ratings might or might not have been sync queued and win traded. Not accusing you of taking any shortcuts in either of the activies, but all those achievements are simply not informative...]

I don't love BioWare and am simultaneously complaining in other threads about things they should change. Doesn't mean I have to agree that each complaint about them is justified, your last ones are not.

Edited by Rafiknoll

Sure, if you already know the system. If you don't know jack it doesn't make any sense at all.

I remember from my early days in WoW I would not socket gems in items because I didn't understand the concept of gemming. Little did I know..

The information wasn't obvious. If it isn't obvious people will skip or miss it.

Not intentionally, but they just don't know any better.

Yep.

I miss the days of simplicity.

the current gear system is crap imo.

they need to get rid tier 1 and 2 gear since they are mostly obsolete in pve raid/pvp.

then they should allow tier 3 to be bought with command token or components directly

Agree, i mean 4 vendors, set pieces, tokens, components. I just don't understand why do we need so much in such small game. Who the hell needs 230 and 236 gear now. Why new toons need to grind this useless gear now.

This gearing is not friendly on any scale but know bioware this will never change.

...What in heck are ya'll smoking at the office that made you think this crap up?...

I always wonder what horror show must have gone on it that office. People can tell good ideas from stupendously bad ideas, even co-workers. They had tons of bad customer feedback even in early testing.

A good idea slides right though.

A stupendously bad idea requires a lot of politics to get though, it had to be super tense. I'll bet people quit over it. Some design bully was/is running the show.

Probably "is"; which would explain why they keep applying all these extra Band-Aids.

Agree, i mean 4 vendors, set pieces, tokens, components. I just don't understand why do we need so much in such small game. Who the hell needs 230 and 236 gear now. Why new toons need to grind this useless gear now.

This gearing is not friendly on any scale but know bioware this will never change.

My wife found a simple way, she makes me buy her gear. :eek:

It is actually quite simple:

In one room, for each class, there is a set of 4 vendors (1 per tier) which will sell you gear for (230,236,242,248) for the respective gear token + few command tokens. The exception is tier 1 (230) which requires only command tokens without a gear token.

In the 2nd room, for each class, there is a set of vendors (1 per tier) which serve as "converters", they will sell you the gear tokens, for any piece of gear of the same slot and 1 tier LOWER + some hundreds of unassembled components.

230 purple gear (not blue or green) can be converted to 236 tokens (which buys legendary gear).

236 (legendary only) can be converted to 242 tokens (which buys legendary gear).

242 (legendary only) can be converted to 248 tokens (which buys legendary gear) which is currently top rating.

For example, to get a token for a tier 4 glove, the "cost" is a tier 3 glove (242) + some unassembled components. The glove which you sell can have its inner mods stripped out if you want them, even the empty "shell" is enough for the vendor.

Beside all that there are the loot crates, which can grant you the gear directly (tier of the gear depends on their tier of the box which depends on your command rank, which goes up like normal leveling up to 300, in 300 you keep getting cxp, and for each time your cxp bar is full you get a tier 4 crate and the cxp bar resets, but does not lvl you up to 301. Crates also always involve some command tokens, and if you got a non-cosmetic gear piece (=gear with stats, not empty shells) that you don't need you can disintegrate them to get unassembled components.

*Other ways to get unassembled components is basically any non-solo content, and especially PVP weeklies. In fact, these ways are far dominant than disintegrating gear, and the gear, even if unneeded, better be saved to buy the gear tokens, because remember, the cost for a token is unassembled components + a weaker version of the same piece of gear. That means, that if for example, you have 246 gloves (which are not legendary), but open a crate with 242 gloves (which are legendary), you might wanna keep the 242 gloves because they are convertible to 248 (with the unassembled component vendor), while the 246 are not.

*Raid bosses drop gear tokens directly (same token for same boss, so you can target those you want), so it can help you skip the use of unassembled components if you get them.

So it is more complicated than it used to be, but is not confusing or hard to understand when you write it all in one place, and these days all PC games get more and more complicated because simple gets boring (compare the assassin's creed 1st game to the last, or mass effect [but keep Andromeda out of it :p], or any other game series, complicated is good as long as the human mind can still wrap around it.

P.S: The annoying bit is that some tank BiS enhancements can only be achieved as super-rare drops from tier 3 and 4 crates, so rare that in fact I discovered their existence just recently, and hope that in the future there will be other ways to get them. Beside them, all BiS gear can be acquired by not so long work, even if you have 0 luck with your crates.

Yes, very simple. I just read it to my cat Taco, and he had no questions.

.. seriously...back to the original post...

If I had to do the grind all over again I would have BiSed my favorite DPS than put the components into legacy bound gear for my other DPS and skank level 70 toons. With a good starter set of gear, the legacy exp bonuses you can buy, and the double exp consumables you can buy or get from drops, I don't thing the grind so bad. Getting that first toon to Tier-4 BiS or close to it is the key, but an insane grind.