PVP mat win trading

Sattee

So is the win trading for the new pvp mat going to be a thing or be punished? See groups advertising for it all the time, and they even say bring a toon you don't care about rating on. Devs gonna let it slide or no? If yes, gonna start joining the groups for the mat.

So is the win trading for the new pvp mat going to be a thing or be punished? See groups advertising for it all the time, and they even say bring a toon you don't care about rating on. Devs gonna let it slide or no? If yes, gonna start joining the groups for the mat.

Win trading in Ranked has been a "thing" for a while (As it will be with any system that provides a reward based on a rating that can be easily manipulated). Even before the mats were in it. That along with rampant cheating and hacking make it unpleasant enough for me to avoid it.

While there are those that abuse the system, I've yet to find a group that isn't trying to win in group ranked either Pub or Imp side on SS.

Group ranked is crazy busy now & it's great.

OP,

Report the ones abusing the system & move on. Email Eric on here if need be. But don't let it ruin your fun. Also add those ones abusing it to friend's list w a note & when they're on don't queue. But it isn't as rampant as you're making it sound to be as I play various times of the day & still haven't seen it or met it.

While there are those that abuse the system, I've yet to find a group that isn't trying to win in group ranked either Pub or Imp side on SS.

Group ranked is crazy busy now & it's great.

Exactly this. The difference now vs before is that a lot of people who would never otherwise do ranked are grouping up to do it, and at least from a ranked skill point of view, that means a lot of people who are bad are now doing it. I think it is pretty reasonable to say when recruiting "bring a toon you don't care about rating on, cause we're probably gonna lose".

Now if someone is specifically saying "join our group, we are going to be win trading with 4 other people" then yes, that should be reported and handled. But I think it's just people who aren't particularly skilled at arenas grouping up and doing it, and that's just fine.

Why is that a problem to you? People with ratings over 1400 don't even get matched with farmers. If they are lucky and the matchmaking gives, everyone is content and happy. Essentially farmers just fight against farmers and get nothing out of it but mats they want so badly. They will get no end of season rewards for ratings because they will never qualify and neither will people fighting against them, so that's other mat farmers because matchmaking based on elo actually exists in TR. They also will get barely any tokens to get rewards from.

Problem are actual trolls in solo queue and I am concerned of how bad it's gonna be after they introduce mats to yolos.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I too would like to know if Bioware are going to do anything about it.

I’ve never cheated or exploited a loop hole in this game, even if it was a gray area because I don’t believe in playing a game the wrong way to get ahead.

Now I find I can’t get many ledgitmate ranked groups, so I’ve stopped trying. Which means I can’t ledgitmately get mats.

But if this is not going to be enforced, I may have to accept these groups so I can get access to the mats.

Bioware, can you please confirm one way or the other. Is this now a ledgitmate way to get mats or will you be punishing people who get them this way.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Now I find I can’t get many ledgitmate ranked groups, so I’ve stopped trying. Which means I can’t ledgitmately get mats.

But if this is not going to be enforced, I may have to accept these groups so I can get access to the mats.

Bioware, can you please confirm one way or the other. Is this now a ledgitmate way to get mats or will you be punishing people who get them this way.

:eek: Say what?

What do you qualify as a legitimate ranked group?? Don't you play on SS? If so there are plenty queuing all the time that are legit.

This isn't a gray area at all. Queue with a set group, play 4 for the daily. Repeat the next day. That is not exploiting, nor does BW need to come in here & state that.

IF they're legitimately throwing, then report. But that's already been established. Just because there are now "bads" queuing doesn't mean that you are going to get in trouble grouping with them.

Come on you have more sense than that. lol

That’s not win trading. No one has an issue with bads queueing.

But you don't need to win trade. In fact, setting up win trading with all the groups in queue is probably more effort than simply getting your 20 losses and claim your participation trophy.

:eek: Say what?

What do you qualify as a legitimate ranked group?? Don't you play on SS? If so there are plenty queuing all the time that are legit.

This isn't a gray area at all. Queue with a set group, play 4 for the daily. Repeat the next day. That is not exploiting, nor does BW need to come in here & state that.

IF they're legitimately throwing, then report. But that's already been established. Just because there are now "bads" queuing doesn't mean that you are going to get in trouble grouping with them.

Come on you have more sense than that. lol

I’ve been in groups that just throw the match to get the mats. When I joined them, they didn’t say they were going to do that.

The problem I have is the time window I have available to play in and this is happening to me in that small window.

Anyway, I’ve started to play on SF to see if it’s going to be any better.

My only problem is SF has 30ms higher ping this week for some stupid reason. I’ve asked Keith to investigate.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

But you don't need to win trade. In fact, setting up win trading with all the groups in queue is probably more effort than simply getting your 20 losses and claim your participation trophy.

But that’s not what the thread is about.

Read the title. “PVP mat win trading”.

This is happening and is a reality.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

That happens if you award participation trophies. It's not win trading as they're not doing it to buff the ratings of the other team. They simply don't care and /stucking is the most effective way to get what they want. If they start punishing it, those same people will still queue for the same reason, except just "fail to Barrier in time".

All you can achieve is that they have to pretend caring. But they won't.

Enjoy your free rating. (And if you add in chat that you're looking for a serious group, mat farmers will probably at least have the decency to stay out of it, or at least you can easily kick them after 1 match.)

And again as stated in my op to the OP, it's not as frequent as you two are making it out to seem. It may be just that small window you are playing. But in prime playing time here in the states they aren't doing it that much at all.

There are always two sides to the coin.

And again as stated in my op to the OP, it's not as frequent as you two are making it out to seem. It may be just that small window you are playing. But in prime playing time here in the states they aren't doing it that much at all.

There are always two sides to the coin.

You sound like you're trying to minimalize this based on how infrequently you think it's happening. Just because you haven't encountered it, or anecdotally report that it's not happening often, doesn't mean it's not happening at all or that even if your perception is actually accurate, that a few isolated incidents isn't an issue worth addressing.

The indisputable fact is that it is happening, primarily in solo Ranked. I've personally witnessed it. How frequently is anyone's guess, and BW would probably have a hard time answering that question themselves because most win-traders are smart enough not to discuss it in the game where the conversation will be captured in a server log. But whether this is occurring a few times or a lot doesn't dismiss the fact that this is a very serious problem. Since BW has demonstrated their inability to effectively stop it, the easiest solution would be to remove rare mats from the Ranked rewards to reduce the incentive for cheating. The best solution would be to have in-game GMs who can catch these people in the act and deal with it right then and there, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Regardless, I think it's irresponsible to minimalize this issue.

You sound like you're trying to minimalize this based on how infrequently you think it's happening. Just because you haven't encountered it, or anecdotally report that it's not happening often, doesn't mean it's not happening at all or that even if your perception is actually accurate, that a few isolated incidents isn't an issue worth addressing.

The indisputable fact is that it is happening, primarily in solo Ranked. I've personally witnessed it. How frequently is anyone's guess, and BW would probably have a hard time answering that question themselves because most win-traders are smart enough not to discuss it in the game where the conversation will be captured in a server log. But whether this is occurring a few times or a lot doesn't dismiss the fact that this is a very serious problem. Since BW has demonstrated their inability to effectively stop it, the easiest solution would be to remove rare mats from the Ranked rewards to reduce the incentive for cheating. The best solution would be to have in-game GMs who can catch these people in the act and deal with it right then and there, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

The mats are only available in group ranked. The last I knew there weren't even any rewards right now for solo ranked.

The mats are only available in group ranked. The last I knew there weren't even any rewards right now for solo ranked.

It's possible I'm confusing match throwing with win trading. Both are nearly indistinguishable from the other in terms of how they impact the other players in the match, but they are done for very different reasons.

It's possible I'm confusing match throwing with win trading. Both are nearly indistinguishable from the other in terms of how they impact the other players in the match, but they are done for very different reasons.

Which I understand but the point of this thread is if the developers are OK with people going into a group ranked pvp and farming it just for mats - regardless of if they stand in a corner, let the other team pound on them without fighting back, or giving minimal effort to just get the match over with and the mats in their hands. Since it is GROUPED then as long as the people in YOUR group are aware that it is a FARMING run, there shouldn't be an issue on what the group actually does. The other group is only affected if they wanted a challenging match, which honestly there's no guarantee of that happening even if the other team tried.

Which I understand but the point of this thread is if the developers are OK with people going into a group ranked pvp and farming it just for mats - regardless of if they stand in a corner, let the other team pound on them without fighting back, or giving minimal effort to just get the match over with and the mats in their hands. Since it is GROUPED then as long as the people in YOUR group are aware that it is a FARMING run, there shouldn't be an issue on what the group actually does. The other group is only affected if they wanted a challenging match, which honestly there's no guarantee of that happening even if the other team tried.

I disagree with this completely. It does matter. It undermines the purpose and spirit of competitive PvP if you're intentionally losing the match to more quickly farm mats. I see what you're saying that the only players affected are the ones on the opposing team who get an easy win, but in the past, this was reciprocated. One team would lose intentionally, then the opposite team would do the same in the next match. These sorts of arrangements can also be used to game the ranking system, which affects anyone who's trying to compete on that ladder. No matter how you spin it, it's an abuse of the WZ system.

Well Solo & group is two separate subjects. I myself have dealt with one "popular" win trader on Imp fleet. I've reported him, but I don't think anything has happened to him.

On the topic at hand, this is about group. Whether you think it's irresponsible or not, that has no play or bearing here as it's my opinion & based on the facts I've gathered.

As someone who has been playing with random groups Pub & Imp, it's not frequent at all in the times I play. But like stated they both apparently play in a small window.

Maybe they should post the times they actually play & it might be more clear. If it's late at night or early AM for USA pop, then that could explain why. Now is it excusable? NOT at all. You can't see me condoning that at all. But like it has been stated, REPORT THEM & move on. Friend them so you seen when they're on & don't queue.

Coming here to the General Discussion area & complaining about it isn't going to get anything done. Rarely does complaining on the forums about people playing wrongly in PvP get anything done. (Besides this should have been in the PvP area instead of the General.)

Also NO removing the mats is not the answer. I'm against that because for the first time since I've been playing this game Group Ranked is actually active. Day & night. My guildies & I or randoms have fun in it.

Plus, just an FYI, the daily only gives one purple rare mat. That's 30+min of play time for one rare mat when if you really wanted those mats you could run dailies/heroics & use those credits to get you more mats than the daily gives. Also any command ranks you get doing those dailies have a chance of granting the blue or purple rare mat. So extra bonus for the heroics/dailies.

I've not encountered win-trading, just "We're queuing for group ranked to get the materials and won't get nasty if we get slaughtered" types... and a few "Looking for groups that are actually trying!!!" messages.

It's the same as win trading to these people. they can't stand that someone else have so many high-level characters and are farming very expensive mats to make hundreds of millions weekly. Just basic greed coming out of them. It's funny because I can bet that most of such posters wouldn't stand a chance against a team of experienced solo ranked players put together randomly. They do not care about the competitive nature of TR and their own rating even.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I disagree with this completely. It does matter. It undermines the purpose and spirit of competitive PvP if you're intentionally losing the match to more quickly farm mats. I see what you're saying that the only players affected are the ones on the opposing team who get an easy win, but in the past, this was reciprocated. One team would lose intentionally, then the opposite team would do the same in the next match. These sorts of arrangements can also be used to game the ranking system, which affects anyone who's trying to compete on that ladder. No matter how you spin it, it's an abuse of the WZ system.

I'm not disagreeing that it's an abuse, but it's an abuse that I'm very sure BW KNEW would happen when they put the mats there. The only other way to get those specific mats is via the Command crates and I can tell you that I've opened up hundreds of crates and received 4 thus far. I've not done any grouped ranked and personally don't intend to, but if BW doesn't want grouped ranked to be abused, then they should change the drop rate in the crates otherwise it isn't going to stop people.

Also, the more people that get reported for "abusing" this system, the less people will que. Then grouped ranked is back at square one - nobody getting any matches.