How to enjoy pvp as a melee. Need advice.

Raptorice

Seriously I need some help. Seems like i'm just fodder for ranged every match I play. My hilt strike doesn't seem to stun at all, and my uptime is whenever my force leap is off cooldown. Force leap slow doesn't work at all too it seems. Any idea how I can actually snare enemy players? Also every match we get at least 4 sorcs opposing us it's really dampening my mood for pvp at all.

you cant enjoy pvp in this game, it is broken and unplayable mostly.

its fun for kids to run around spamming 1-5 keys but real players with any shred of skill and awareness see this atrocity for what it is.

too back i cant get my 60 bucks back. :(

EDIT: the reason none of your melee abilities work is because PVP for all players is laggy, and the UI is unresponsive. it's a massive issue that tons of others have posted about. I, for one, have abandoned PVP until they fix it. if they dont, then they will never get a monthly payment from me and many others.

Edited by tokosan

Seriously I need some help. Seems like i'm just fodder for ranged every match I play. My hilt strike doesn't seem to stun at all, and my uptime is whenever my force leap is off cooldown. Force leap slow doesn't work at all too it seems. Any idea how I can actually snare enemy players? Also every match we get at least 4 sorcs opposing us it's really dampening my mood for pvp at all.

Get a pocket healer, dominate the warzone, top every stat on the leader board.... repeat.

its fun for kids to run around spamming 1-5 keys but real players with any shred of skill and awareness see this atrocity for what it is..

This is the only game I've had to bind 28 keys to play my class to efficiently... there are still 2-3 abilities I have to click on I may have to get a naga mouse for more mouse buttons.

Unless your referring to tracer missle/grav round spammers...

its fun for kids to run around spamming 1-5 keys but real players with any shred of skill and awareness see this atrocity for what it is.

EDIT: the reason none of your melee abilities work is because PVP for all players is laggy, and the UI is unresponsive. it's a massive issue that tons of others have posted about. I, for one, have abandoned PVP until they fix it. if they dont, then they will never get a monthly payment from me and many others.

^this. just passing the time till GW2. cant see myself staying with this game unless a HUGE overhaul is done.

Get a pocket healer, dominate the warzone, top every stat on the leader board.... repeat.

Will that solve the uptime issue? It's pretty sick how they can stun>snare>stun>snare me somehow. My targets teleporting around me and givine me facing issues doesn't help much. Don't get me wrong i like the complexity and the fact that there is potential for smart play but if i am not even able to use my abilities at all or they don't work when I use them(ie hilt strike going into cd with the right sound que but no stuns - 10 times same thing in a warzone) it is frustrating.

Edit: I'm not new to pvp, having played in arenas and battlegrounds for years now in WoW.

Edited by Raptorice

You can't be serious. Force classes in this game are by far the easiest to pvp with. All you have to do is close on a ranged class and any force using class can take down any ranged class hands down. It's not even a far fight really.

You can't be serious. Force classes in this game are by far the easiest to pvp with. All you have to do is close on a ranged class and any force using class can take down any ranged class hands down. It's not even a far fight really.

Yeah...I'm quite serious. By any force using class, do you mean Jedi Consulars and Sith Inqs? Could you be a little more specific? Like I said, my only uptime for a few swings is when force leap is off cooldown. Then I get stunned/snared to oblivion. I have a trooper and he isn't afraid of any melee whatsover and rarely gets killed.

Will that solve the uptime issue? It's pretty sick how they can stun>snare>stun>snare me somehow. My targets teleporting around me and givine me facing issues doesn't help much. Don't get me wrong i like the complexity and the fact that there is potential for smart play but if i am not even able to use my abilities at all or they don't work when I use them(ie hilt strike going into cd with the right sound que but no stuns - 10 times same thing in a warzone) it is frustrating.

Edit: I'm not new to pvp, having played in arenas and battlegrounds for years now in WoW.

Rubber-banding issues and latency issues in general are terrible. Stun > snare (dispellable pocket healer) > stun (full resolve, use cc break) > snare (dispellable pocket healer). Pocket healer also has stuns / snares, in addition to your own... you forgot slows (pocket healer dispels). Facing issues? stun them find the sweet spot. Your pocket healer will keep you alive and ready to destroy people after the stun wears off, save cc break until you have full resolve (full white bar above your head, you are unCCble / knockbackable until white goes away). Your pocket healers has stuns, slows, and CC too (I can even pull you back up to a platform you got knocked off of.

Some classes solo better than others, but they are usually about equal when in a group. I regularly group with some melee... the sentinels can do about 350k+ damage on an average full length warzone (nearly full champion gear level 50), I heal them so they die less than twice in a warzone.

Do I hear them complain about rubber banding and facing issues? Yes

Do they still dominate ta warzone with a pocket healer? Yes

Can I still heal people with broken raid frames that don't show all players in warzone and/or their health / de-buffs accurately? Yes

Do I complain about this ^? Yes

I can only hope the latency, rubberbanding, broken raid frames etc.. improve WTB PATCH!

Edit: Most of the pvp in the game is balanced around level 50 play.... so yeah there are plenty of melee classes that suck until 40+, likewise I couldn't heal well until 41+... Leveling to 50 never hurts... at this point 50's knock lower levels over like bowling pins with expertise.

Double Edit: Latency issues hardly effect ranged classes... unless your a sniper/gunslinger... sometimes getting into cover.... just doesn't quite work how you imagined it would. Stupid that the class has to eat a global (0 damage) to do damage, only to get stunned/knocked out of damage, re-take cover (another 0 damage global). IMO Cover should be off the GCD, or included in skill that requires cover GCD. I have to listen to my guilded gunslinger's joy when global/latency error = gcd failure (no cover).

Edited by Rabbican

your going to die alot. alls you can do is use every CD you have and try to get a kill or 2 off before you die, if you want fun youll have to reroll, im lvling a trooper now, mains sentinel, and ive been able to kite sith melee to death, who where level 50, either they need to tone CC down, or allow us to have some.

Any class will dominate any pvp match with a pocket healer, this is just a silly statement I see made in all games. Having said that melee doesnt start to shine to later levels.

Right many people don't realize it takes a team to excel... solo players can enjoy getting stunned to death as they try to rambo their way to glory.

Right many people don't realize it takes a team to excel... solo players can enjoy getting stunned to death as they try to rambo their way to glory.

Quite true, though I have not felt as helpless as a melee before in other games. Also thanks for your write up a few posts above, hope it improves at 50.

I have to laugh when someone says that no serious PvPer with a shred of skill enjoys PvP in this game. Some people on here say the most ridiculous things....

As far as melee in PvP though, it just seems that it takes more finesse right now than the ranged classes do. It's always going to be more of a struggle, but it's not impossible to do well as a melee class. You just need to make sure to utilize all the tools you have at your disposal properly, and you need to make sure you're not making serious mistakes like over-extending/over-committing, not disengaging when you should, engaging when you shouldn't, focusing the wrong targets, failing to interrupt the most important abilities, etc.

As a ranged class, there's certainly room for finesse and you need to do a few major things to keep your distance, but it's generally a lot more simple to do that. As a melee class, it seems you're fighting more of an uphill battle at times... but if and when you can succeed at getting in someone's face, and they are a ranged class, then you're going to really wreck their day. So I would say for a start you should just learn the push-pull of combat vs. a ranged class and learn the enemy classes abilities so that you know what they're capable of and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

I have to laugh when someone says that no serious PvPer with a shred of skill enjoys PvP in this game. Some people on here say the most ridiculous things....

As far as melee in PvP though, it just seems that it takes more finesse right now than the ranged classes do. It's always going to be more of a struggle, but it's not impossible to do well as a melee class. You just need to make sure to utilize all the tools you have at your disposal properly, and you need to make sure you're not making serious mistakes like over-extending/over-committing, not disengaging when you should, engaging when you shouldn't, focusing the wrong targets, failing to interrupt the most important abilities, etc.

As a ranged class, there's certainly room for finesse and you need to do a few major things to keep your distance, but it's generally a lot more simple to do that. As a melee class, it seems you're fighting more of an uphill battle at times... but if and when you can succeed at getting in someone's face, and they are a ranged class, then you're going to really wreck their day. So I would say for a start you should just learn the push-pull of combat vs. a ranged class and learn the enemy classes abilities so that you know what they're capable of and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Good advice, but these are basic ones learnt from almost any pvp game out there. I pvp as a warrior and paladin so am pretty familiar with the concept you lined out. It's just that my capacity to contribute is curtailed badly if targets are rubberbanding and skills aren't going off or constantly getting snared.

I'll try to hit 50, and perhaps babysit a healer. I do guard them almost every match (almost always topping protection, - still not sure what it means lol) but its still an exercise in frustration. Like the responses so far, devoid of trolling and some good points.

Edited by Raptorice

most melee classes are fairly weak in thel ower levels and only pick up in thel ate 30's and early 40's tbh.

but once they do.... damn its frustrating to fight them...

particulary one of the classes most clueless people seem to say is "underpowered" the jugs and guards.

insane anti CC ability, strong burst, decent ranged ability, spamable slows ... good luck range'ing that.

most melee classes are fairly weak in thel ower levels and only pick up in thel ate 30's and early 40's tbh.

but once they do.... damn its frustrating to fight them...

particulary one of the classes most clueless people seem to say is "underpowered" the jugs and guards.

insane anti CC ability, strong burst, decent ranged ability, spamable slows ... good luck range'ing that.

Agree 100%. Most melee's seem to get crucial abilities late on (Scoundrel/Operative for example). I dont know why Bioware have made them this way, but on balance its not practical for them to try and balance PvP 1-49 - people are levelling up all the time so its not a good use of development resources.

Lets see Melee vs ranged for full teams of 50's and see how that goes.

Melee classes aren't as strong early on, and so lot's of bad players whine that their 17 marauder is weak and cry for buffs/nerfs. When you get to level 40+ and still feel weak as melee class then you're just bad, simple as that. The closer to 50 the stronger the melee classes are. I too felt my Assassin was weak around level 20, but now, at 41 I can faceroll anyone except for lvl 50 tanks with good gear. I can only imagine it's gonna be even better at 50.

Melee classes aren't as strong early on, and so lot's of bad players whine that their 17 marauder is weak and cry for buffs/nerfs. When you get to level 40+ and still feel weak as melee class then you're just bad, simple as that. The closer to 50 the stronger the melee classes are. I too felt my Assassin was weak around level 20, but now, at 41 I can faceroll anyone except for lvl 50 tanks with good gear. I can only imagine it's gonna be even better at 50.

That's ********. Melee classes, I do mean melee, JK/SW, are weak eary and late, the only difference, you have more buttons that you can't use. You'll be kited by backpedaling idiots who, in a balanced PVP game wouldn't last a second against you.

Let's face it, BH/Trooper are so retard freindly and so effective, especially against melee that it's starting to be funny.

Edited by Bullsith

I see myself as a pretty well-skilled MMO player and I love this game. Only thing I want them to fix is the slow UI and reaction time, besides that its awesome.

It's amazing at 50.