Where the heck is the blaster rifle?

MasterCboath

/bumping thread

I guess IN REAL LIFE, when I pick up a M240 I'll just immediately drop it when I try to shoot it. Ughh remove weapon restrictions on classes.

I'm not saying I should be a dual wielding lightersaber fighting bounty hunter but I should be able to shoot other kinds of weapons .. and BECAUSE I CAN'T VIEW WEAPONS, (HINT HINT) I hate to buy new stuff that might look stupid.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/bumping thread

I guess IN REAL LIFE, when I pick up a M240 I'll just immediately drop it when I try to shoot it. Ughh remove weapon restrictions on classes.

I'm not saying I should be a dual wielding lightersaber fighting bounty hunter but I should be able to shoot other kinds of weapons .. and BECAUSE I CAN'T VIEW WEAPONS, (HINT HINT) I hate to buy new stuff that might look stupid.

In real life, armies aren't balanced either (if it was, major NERF incoming for the Navy SEALS!). You also don't pay $15 a month to be in the Military.

Flame throwers on the wrist, good. Always saw them as heat vent plus from armor and weapon systems.

Missiles should have been shoulder launch, ala Iron Man. Where are the missiles stored before being fired from my wrist?

Rail guns from wrist, okay, assuming the accelerated projectile is small.

Rifles for Powertechs please! It really is iconic of the class. Powertech just doesn't live up to it's description/reputation walking around with a single puny blaster. As well just name the gun the noisy cricket and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by KelricAlpha

I've already posted in these threads since beta. I want to play a Trandoshan BH with a rifle and/or a light lightning cannon. Using dual pistols is pretty lame. I can understand the single pistol close quarters combat of a Powertech, but not so much for a Merc. While pistols have slowly grown on me as I've leveled, I'll never stop wishing that I could use a larger weapon.

I guess I'll add to this thread and voice my support for blaster rifles on bounty hunters.

I'm fully aware that this is a science fiction fantasy game, but in real life, dual wielding pistols is virtually ineffective. Go ahead and try it yourself, you'll see what a massive failure dual wielding pistols really is. I've tried it myself at the gun range in real life and it's impossible to aim a pair of pistols simultaneously. Consider yourself lucky to even hit the broad side of a barn while dual wielding pistols in real life. What works in movies often doesn't really work in real life.

To be clear for the purpose of this thread, I'm not asking to take anything away and I'm not asking to take away dual wielding pistols for those who enjoy it in the game. I'm just asking for bounty hunters (both Mercenaries and Powertechs) to have the blaster rifle (or carbines) added as a weapon proficiency.

Edited by BlackRifle

To those of you who say, "If you're using your pistol, you're doing it wrong," you clearly don't understand. The problem isn't with mechanics, it's with principle. It's about consistency within the Star Wars universe. A Bounty Hunter isn't some class that shoots rockets and uses flamethrowers. From the first introduction into the world of Bounty Hunters in the Empire Strikes Back, we see that they are a wildly varied bunch that come from all walks of life. Consisting of all kinds of droids and aliens; there is no real definition that any of these characters fit.

The weapons a bounty hunter uses define their character. The way they appear and the weapons they hold speak more volumes about them than the few lines of dialog they speak. And not just in the original trilogy, Zam Wessel preferred to stay out of the action and her proclivities are exemplified in her use of probes and a sniper rifle to deal her blows. By not allowing a player to choose their weapon, we are not allowed to define our characters. We are not creating a character of our own, we're just playing a character that Bioware designed. To me, creating our own characters is what an RPG is all about.

To those of you who say, "If you're using your pistol, you're doing it wrong," you clearly don't understand. The problem isn't with mechanics, it's with principle. .... To me, creating our own characters is what an RPG is all about.

QFT

Exactly! We're not soldiers who are given standard issue weapons, our weapons speak to who we are! A Bounty hunter uses every tool at his disposal. His carbine at range, a rocket barrage when appropriate, flame thrower and upper cut to the chin, yes, even pulling his trusty pistols when things get down and dirty. The game has done great in utilizing a variety of different attacks/gadgets etc..., but why limit weapon choice?

I would not mind rifles and autocannons.

Having said that, I really like having my shield/generator. I will stick with my pistol and off hand.

However i do agree that there should be an option to forego all the benefits of an off hand, like massively increased stats/damage reduction in order to use a rifle that will make no difference to your dps.

Its all about how you want to play the game. If that is your way, you should be allowed to do so.

Having said that, once you run into a BH sporting a gun and a shield, and he wipes the floor with you, what will your reaction be at that time?

Really curious about it.

Having said that, once you run into a BH sporting a gun and a shield, and he wipes the floor with you, what will your reaction be at that time?

Really curious about it.

AFAIK, Republic Trooper Vanguards use Blaster Rifles and offhand Shields at the same time, therefore giving a Powertech a rifle should not take away their shields. Troopers and Bounty Hunters, skill for skill, are exactly the same. I won't even go into how much that saddens me.

It's a shame that we must take our targets by puny blaster when we could chop them to pieces by vibro sword or smash their heads by tech staff, why melee powertech can't do it anyway? Punch in the face to lightsaber wielder looks little bit suicidal, it will be nice that we have some more melee options to use, same for blaster rifles, it not realy game breaking thing, but will adds more versatility.

That's the thing - people AREN'T asking to remove pistols. We want the OPTION to use other weapons.

And as a previous poster put it: we aren't playing our characters, we're playing the bounty hunter stereotype (or rather the Jango Fett stereotype) that BW is forcing us to play.

Its not like we're asking to have whole new talent trees either - but the cosmetic option.

Edited by -Leon

The weapons a bounty hunter uses define their character. The way they appear and the weapons they hold speak more volumes about them than the few lines of dialog they speak. And not just in the original trilogy, Zam Wessel preferred to stay out of the action and her proclivities are exemplified in her use of probes and a sniper rifle to deal her blows. By not allowing a player to choose their weapon, we are not allowed to define our characters. We are not creating a character of our own, we're just playing a character that Bioware designed. To me, creating our own characters is what an RPG is all about.

Hey, I really like what you said here. Couldn't have said it better myself.

That's the thing - people AREN'T asking to remove pistols. We want the OPTION to use other weapons.

And as a previous poster put it: we aren't playing our characters, we're playing the bounty hunter stereotype (or rather the Jango Fett stereotype) that BW is forcing us to play.

Its not like we're asking to have whole new talent trees either - but the cosmetic option.

Yes, and its not like they have to create 100 new blaster rifle models. Theres plenty of reusable NPC models and rifles in the game that can be recycled. Rifles also dont have to have different stats from the standard Powertech pistols, similar damage...but different look.

Bioware really has failed to give us customibility or uniqueness to our characters. We are basically all playing the same character.

Edited by Thargrim

About the only game design rationalizations I can think of for such limited choices of weapons for ALL classes is making it easier to code-in "need before greed" and/or making it difficult for players to make the "Wrong" choice -- that is, you pick a vibro-knife for a BH when all of their abilities require ranged weapons. Of course, there's no more basic melee attack of any sort now... it's IMPOSSIBLE for my BH to grab a knife and stab someone. (This, boils and ghouls, is why I will always prefer tabletop RPGs...)

The other problem, again looking at it purely from a coding perspective, is that the more combinations there, the more balance issues will arise, the more the risk of someone finding a game-breakng combo of weapons/armor/etc. This leads to endless rounds of nerfs, followed by endless rounds of flavor-of-the-month builds.

Further, you run into the problem that, if the only differences are cosmetic (your blaster rifle has no more range or damage than my blaster pistol), people complain that their choices "don't matter"; if there are meaningful differences, then, out of all possible options, some theorycrafter will decide only one is "the best" and insist anyone who uses anything else is n00b. It can be very annoying for someone who makes a choice for character/concept reasons to be locked out of content because he's only 95% as effective as someone who makes the "right" choices. (It's interesting that, with orange items, BioWare has basically make it so that you just pick the armor you like the looks of and then customize it to your class... so one wonders why there's even any other kind of items, when I can usually keep my orange gear as good as most blue drops, and probably get it to purple levels when I find purple mods for it. But that's another topic.)

I think the reasons listed above can all be overcome, but I don't think there's enough demand in the player base to justify the work. (You would also need new animations for all the rifle-based attacks; I'm not an expert on the subject, but I doubt you can just sub in a rifle model for a pistol model and have it look good.)

Where we are in MMO design is where a number of powerful market forces have led us. Ultimately, different market forces will lead us somewhere else, but, until then, we're mostly in the position of making sure our interests are known to even exist; seeing them implemented will not happen soon.

(My perfect game would have SWG style freeform skill trees with the deep PVE/storyline play of SWTOR, with a space game that combines EVE's ship customization and tinkering and TIE Fighter's complex and challenging battle scenarios. And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.)

Bounty Hunters without Rifles is an utter travesty against all Star Wars kind in my opinion. It's just wrong. It is clearly a bug. It must be. No one could make a decision this poor and let it ship with the game.

Bounty Hunter: Weapon of Choice

Boba Fett: BlasTech EE-3 Carbine Rifle

4-LOM: BlasTech W-90 Concussion Rifle

Bossk: Relby-v10 Micro Grenade Launcher

Dengar: Valken-38 Blaster Rifle

IG-88: BlasTech DLT-20A Blaster Rifle

Zuckuss: GRS-1 Snare Rifle

Considering these are the only bounty hunters who count, I find the inability to use rifles to be downright offensive.

you don't mention Jango, you fail

I'd love to swap my pistols out for a rifle. I don't even know why it's a big deal.

Bioware should make it so that the choice of weapon is a cosmetic choice that's mathematically identical - Commandos already use a single weapon in lieu of our two.

This way everyone's happy.

Where does it stop then?

The Imperial Agents and Troopers will be wanting to be able to use pistols.

Smugglers will want to use rifles then also.

I wouldnt want to use riffels on my smuggler no.

But i do want carbines on my bounty hunter, making a bounty hunter that cant use carbines makes no sense, for all the obvious reasons.

Where does it stop then?

Why is this a problem?

Seriously I don't understand the logic that went into Bioware making weapons so restrictive based on class.

I remember some post saying something about making each easily identifiable and unique, but if seemed like a cope out and can't really find it anymore.

It just seems so very wrong to limit the class choices so.

Where does it stop then?

And the problem would be... what?

Pretty much all non-Force users in the Star Wars universe utilize whatever type of blasters (firearms) they can get their hands on. You see this extensively in the Star Wars movies, cartoons, comics, etc. The weapon restrictions were put in place by BioWare. It's how BioWare chose to design this game. I seriously doubt LucasArts would say, "Whoa! We have Troopers with pistols in our movies and cartoons, but you will not do this in your game."

You asked, "Where does it stop then?" It stops at the point where non-Force users should never be able to wield a lightsaber and effectively use it in combat. A bounty hunter destroying enemies with a lightsaber wherever he goes would not make sense. Giving non-Force users access to all blasters would make sense.

SWTOR is very linear as is. Shame on us for asking for just a little more freedom of choice. :rolleyes:

Edited by BlackRifle

I wouldnt want to use riffels on my smuggler no.

Then don't use rifles on your smuggler. Simple as that.

Speaking of Smugglers, I find it quite odd that only they can use shotguns and only when they are behind their enemy.

"Hey Bad Guy, turn around please so that I can pump your butt full of buckshot. Oh, come on! You're not going to turn around? Please just turn around! I'll make this quick."

Edited by BlackRifle