Total number of active characters (across all servers)? Has it been decreased?

Azreail

Can anyone please tell me what the total number of active characters allowed across all servers combined is?

I know that as a sub it was 52 per server before the merge, and I know that it is currently 100 per server post-merge (if you buy unlocks). But I havent' seen any word from BW about the global limit since 1.6.2. Does anyone know what the current global character limit is? Why does it appear to be lower than previously? (Explanation for that statement below). Feel free to chip in Eric/Keith...

More details for those who want specifics:

I had 52 slots unlocked per server pre-merge, and therefore my new per server max should be 64 (+12 to my prior limit, as per Eric here. I am also aware that I cannot make any new characters on any server where I am over the limit, until I delete/buy more slots up to 100 (from Eric here). But I now find that I cannot make new charcters on ANY server, even ones where I have significantly less than 64 toons (e.g. I only have 17 toons on Satele Shan). If I hover over the "Create character" option I get a message telling me "You have reached the limit for Activated Characters and cannot create additional characters".I cannot find any comment from Eric/Keith/BW about any changes made to the global character limit (Patch notes only mention the per server changes).

This suggests the global character limit has actually decreased since I had all these characters pre-merge and was still able to create more (had I wanted to), and I have not made any new characters since the merges. According to the patch notes from way back in 1.6.2, "All players have a Global Active Character Limit of 350 Characters". I have less than 350 across all 5 new servers, therefore I should be able to create new ones, but I can't.

So when was this changed, why, and what is the new global active character limit?

I made a Bug Report thread on this issue, but so far, no response from the developers.

It looks to me like the maximum number of characters an account can have, across all servers, is still 383. However, the system is showing players to have twice as many characters, toward that Global limit, as they actually have.

So if, for example, you have a total of 200 characters across all servers, then the system should show you as having 200/383 Active Characters (Global), and allow you to create up to 183 more, provided that you have the empty character slots on a particular server for them.

Instead, the system is showing you as having 400 active characters, and will not allow any more to be created.

You can check how many characters you have, total, on your account ... or, rather, how many characters the system thinks you have ... by mousing over the small circle next to the number of "Active Characters (Server)" at the bottom of the Character Select screen.

Mousing over that circle will show you two numbers - the maximum of 383 Active Characters (Global), and your current total number of Active Characters, which, if I'm right, will be about twice what you actually have.

......yeah, it claims I have 509 active characters. I know I have too many alts, but not that many.

Let us know how they will answer your ticket, will you? I need to know if I need to submit one, too, or if this is something that will be fixed in a patch.

Thank you both for responding - comforting to know that it's not just me, and the more of us there are, the more likely BW might do something about it.

Following your suggestion for mousing over, the game seems to think I have 634 active characters (*cough* yes, I'm an altoholic but I'm not that bad!) so no wonder it is telling me I can't make any more!

Please let me know how your ticket goes and I'll submit a ticket and bug report myself and update if/when I get a response. Hopefully it will get some attention!

Following your suggestion for mousing over, the game seems to think I have 634 active characters (*cough* yes, I'm an altoholic but I'm not that bad!) so no wonder it is telling me I can't make any more!

...wait, I actually found someone who has more alts than me? D:

I'm not sure if I should be relieved or feel the need to make new alts. :p

I am having the same issue. It is showing me as having more than double the amount I actually have. Switching shards does NOT cure the problem. I can't make any new characters on any shard even though my actual total is well below the cap and some shards are well below my server cap. I am subbed, so that is not the cause. Even if I wasn't subbed, those shards would still be less than my purchased slots.

...wait, I actually found someone who has more alts than me? D:

I'm not sure if I should be relieved or feel the need to make new alts. :p

*coughs*

677 here... personally I had attributed that to exceeding the game's limit. However if some of you have a legit amount of chars but the global amount goes beyond a maximum, perhaps this invalidates my theory. Or, it's additive to it.

- I have 2 servers above my personal limit including one above the game's maximum : one at 72 and one at 165

- 3 servers below my personal limit

- can't create a char on any of those

- I have an unused outlander slot I can't use

- on the 165 char server (Star forge) extra character slot tokens are grayed out (I have 2 in cargo).

- I'm freaked out that I can't consume extra slots on the other servers either : problem is to purge my Star forge I'd like to expand the others. Haven't had the dough to buy an extra slot on other servers to test this, but I might have to sell it immediately if it's no use to me.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Noticed this today, but different in that the doubling hasn't quite pushed me over the global max. I have 74 characters on one server, 96 on another, but only 12 of 50 on the 3rd, so 182 characters total. It indicates I have 364, twice that many, with a global limit of 376 (which at two slots per character is only 6 more characters left.) I can still create characters, but still...I counted on having the other 38 slots on Darth Malgus eventually. Dunno if the global max is different depending on number of slots you unlocked (previously I had 38 total but someone I know who never unlocked any has a global limit almost as high) but this is either a bug, or a backdoor way to halve the global max for players who hadn't already exceeded it, stripping us of the extra slots per server we bought...

Noticed this today, but different in that the doubling hasn't quite pushed me over the global max. I have 74 characters on one server, 96 on another, but only 12 of 50 on the 3rd, so 182 characters total. It indicates I have 364, twice that many, with a global limit of 376 (which at two slots per character is only 6 more characters left.) I can still create characters, but still...I counted on having the other 38 slots on Darth Malgus eventually. Dunno if the global max is different depending on number of slots you unlocked (previously I had 38 total but someone I know who never unlocked any has a global limit almost as high) but this is either a bug, or a backdoor way to halve the global max for players who hadn't already exceeded it, stripping us of the extra slots per server we bought...

Thanks for that. I realized I "only" have a total of 335 chars while the game tells me it's 677.

Also was able to field test an extra character slot on a small legacy (28/56) = NO CAN DO.

I've 53 slots on both servers located on East Coast (Oh yea - Thx again BW for that deceptive change).

103 between those two servers and another 5 on European servers. So I'm at 108 total account based.

Couldn't add more characters on the two servers capped at 53 characters each until I deleted a few. Then the Boosters I have worked again.

The "Add Servers Slot" tokens do NOT work right now for me. Bought 3 of them before I bought 2 more Outlander tokens.

Have you guys had any word on this?

I had 156 on Satele n Starforge each, deleted Starforge to make it my new home, went to roll a new character and it shows i have something like 522 characters and am above the cap.

Tried switching to an EU server since i have 0 chars there and now getting the loading screen that just wont quit. I am assuming it is trying to create a char but since it sees me at above cap it wont pass.

Had to create a dummy account to lock down the name until i get this fixed and will look for an option to get back in game but just wanting to know if this is ongoing or if they know and are fixing this.

Tried switching to an EU server since i have 0 chars there and now getting the loading screen that just wont quit.

I encountered that, too. I found that even when I closed the window and re-launched the game, it would still be stuck on the loading screen, presumably because it was once again trying to go into the character creation screen on the European server.

Out of sheer frustration, I decided to just leave it on the loading screen, to see if the game would ever finally get to anything. After a while, it did. It went to the server selection screen with the message, "You have been logged out due to inactivity." That was how I finally got the opportunity to get back to a server I could access.

If you (or anybody else here) are still stuck on that loading screen trying to access a server that has no characters on it, you could try this. Just leave it on the loading screen, and see if the game takes you back to the server selection screen because you were inactive long enough.

After reading this thread: i realize that i am not, nor ever have been, an altaholic. I simply have never had those types of numbers. I wouldnt even know how to keep up with those types of numbers. i have to keep a list of my characters on an index card next to my computer, sure, but i would need a leather bound tome. I salute you, my masters.

After reading this thread: i realize that i am not, nor ever have been, an altaholic. I simply have never had those types of numbers. I wouldnt even know how to keep up with those types of numbers. i have to keep a list of my characters on an index card next to my computer, sure, but i would need a leather bound tome. I salute you, my masters.

Don't worry, most of my 335 chars are cosmetic level 1s :p

I do have about 15 70's, 50 level 10s and 50 levels 20-60 tho :D

I use a Google Doc spreadsheet ;)

I encountered that, too. I found that even when I closed the window and re-launched the game, it would still be stuck on the loading screen, presumably because it was once again trying to go into the character creation screen on the European server.

Out of sheer frustration, I decided to just leave it on the loading screen, to see if the game would ever finally get to anything. After a while, it did. It went to the server selection screen with the message, "You have been logged out due to inactivity." That was how I finally got the opportunity to get back to a server I could access.

If you (or anybody else here) are still stuck on that loading screen trying to access a server that has no characters on it, you could try this. Just leave it on the loading screen, and see if the game takes you back to the server selection screen because you were inactive long enough.

This worked for me, Thank you.Took what felt like 20 minutes to happen but for others dealing with this it is worth a shot.