Powertech Tanking, A Beginners Guide.

Elicas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it funny how this guide has become the most well read topic in the Powertech forum, a thread where we all come together, chat nicely and discuss the ins and outs of the class.

However my IA guide, which had twice the research and is actually quite much more indepth, gets pretty much ignored.

Funny old world, oh well. Gotta love the BH tanking community spirit at least!

<3 you guys!

Elicas,

Great guide. Thank you for putting this together. I''m just starting out with my Bounty Hunter Powertech (lvl 10), although I leveled Vanguard, Commando, and Sage in beta (if I''m not tanking, I''m healing).

In your guide you have Tier 1 and Tier 2 abilities from the Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech trees. What is your recommendation on when to take those abilities? After you have 31 points in Shield Tech?

Also, within the Shield Tech tree, which of the abilities you list take precedence over the others? For example, Shield Vents, Oil Slick, and Ablative Upgrades all look good so, in your opinion, which should be grabbed first and which can wait five levels?

If it makes any difference, I tend to PUG each Heroic and Flashpoint once, maybe twice, and spend most of my time questing and break it up with some PvP. I chose Powertech because, when grouped, I enjoy the tank role.

Thanks!

Edited by ZioGio

Elicas,

Great guide. Thank you for putting this together. I''m just starting out with my Bounty Hunter Powertech (lvl 10), although I leveled Vanguard, Commando, and Sage in beta (if I''m not tanking, I''m healing).

In your guide you have Tier 1 and Tier 2 abilities from the Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech trees. What is your recommendation on when to take those abilities? After you have 31 points in Shield Tech?

Also, within the Shield Tech tree, which of the abilities you list take precedence over the others? For example, Shield Vents, Oil Slick, and Ablative Upgrades all look good so, in your opinion, which should be grabbed first and which can wait five levels?

If it makes any difference, I tend to PUG each Heroic and Flashpoint once, maybe twice, and spend most of my time questing and break it up with some PvP. I chose Powertech because, when grouped, I enjoy the tank role.

Thanks!

31 points first, then the abilities in the Advanced Prototype tree then the 2 in Pyro last.

Shield vents before Upgrades before Oil Slick. This guide comes down today, ready for Version 2 to be uploaded tonight, which will include this information, as well as new sections detailing Companions, Crew Skills, PvP Tanking, Advanced Prototype DPS and Pyrotech DPS.

Hope you all enjoy the new and improved guide that is coming, thanks for the support, and thanks to those of you who pointed out the few **** ups I made.

What do you guys thinking about dropping oil slick and prototype cylinders and getting rail loaders instead?

Not really worth it, Rail Shot is used every 15 seconds and we don't have the extra proc talents.

Oil Slick is useful on large groups when it works, it's not great, but it's handy. PgC translates to free threat any time we proc our cylinder, that can work out as thousands of bonus threat over the course of an Operation boss fight.

Is this ability ever worth it? It just seems like, even with the talent buffs, 25 heat is just too costly. I'd rather lay down a flamethrower or an explosive dart and alternate single target dps. Flame Sweep just costs so much. Thoughts? Also I heard that our shoulder smash ability is useless. Confirm/deny.

Yeah Shoulder Slam is really only a leveling ability. They will change this I bet somewhere down the track. I would like to see it maybe changed to a "must use within 6 seconds of rocket punch" pre-requisite put on it instead of the stun place.

Is this ability ever worth it? It just seems like, even with the talent buffs, 25 heat is just too costly. I'd rather lay down a flamethrower or an explosive dart and alternate single target dps. Flame Sweep just costs so much. Thoughts? Also I heard that our shoulder smash ability is useless. Confirm/deny.

It's always useful, simply because it put's the -4% damage debuff onto all target's it hits. Flamethrower doesn't do this, and to cast Flame Burst on each target would usually cost more heat.

It's always useful, simply because it put's the -4% damage debuff onto all target's it hits. Flamethrower doesn't do this, and to cast Flame Burst on each target would usually cost more heat.

The short range of it makes it very situational. It's rare to have mobs grouped up so tightly.

The short range of it makes it very situational. It's rare to have mobs grouped up so tightly.

I've found that mobs group up for it more often than not, you'll usually have a group split of 3 and 2, i usually jump to the 3, grapple one of the two and then Sweep.

Leaves me one mob to pick up.