Please Increase/Remove Guild Member Cap With Merges

UlaVii

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping the post go Eric think about the benefits.

I have also an other suggestion you can make it account bound so every char that is on that account that is in the guild count as one and not as 4(etc) places. That way you don't need to up it to 10k or 2k.

Will have to disagree on that - for example my current guild has at about ~500 accounts, (some people may own a couple, but basically that changes nothing; and inactive accounts are being removed regularly so it's not a maxed amount), so even if a cap will go from characters to accounts/legacies (but will stay a thousand smth as it is now) in some cases it will be only a tiny breath of air, that's not enough in a long-term perspective.

I'm not in or care to be in any guild in which this would ever be an issue, so not interested in commenting on the cap*, but I'm willing to give a +1 to the account-based guilds idea that got mentioned a few times. I've also found this to be a very pleasant experience in ESO. Right now I'm in a guild with ~90 characters in it, of which ~75 belong to just four people.

* (except maybe to be a nitpick and point out that there's no such thing as removing the cap, it's computer software and needs defined values, at best they could increase it some amount so high that it would be very hard to hit, but you know eventually it will be..)

What they "Should" have done was make the 1000 cap for Unique accounts. Then it wouldn't matter and you could have 50-100 ALT's in the guild.

Seriously - please increase the cap or do something soon as many guilds have ALT guilds now to handle the issue.

I think we should focus on what the real issues are with the current guild size limit and come up with a better solution than those offered.

Problems:

1.) People have tons of characters, 1 person may equal dozens of characters. No room, lots of members that cannot be all logged on at the same time.

2.) Guild maintenance. It is a pain to identify and eliminate dead members to make room for more actives.

Solution:

1.) Instead of 1000 characters, it should be 1000 ACTIVE members. Meaning if you have 8 characters on one legacy, you will count as 1.

2.) If a member hasn't logged on for 30 days this should AUTOMATICALLY reduce the ACTIVE members number as 1. This means the guild can invite another active to take the place of the inactive, WITHOUT REMOVING HIM. If inactives return, you will not be able to re-invite until you drop below the 1000 active members.

2.) The guild who list can list members by legacy better, in addition to being able to sort by a column, also have a check box for group_by_legacy, output would be something like this example:

Name Legacy <other columns>

Bill Bills legacy <----- This is the one currently logged on or last logged on.

----->BillsAlt1 "

----->BillsAlt2 "

Then we can allow guild officers to remove entire PEOPLE at once. Guild maintenance would be simple, imagine no more having to remove inactives. Imagine if you are an inactive returning, you can resume in your previous guild without need for another invite. These would easily make the 1000 guild member limit high enough and guild maintenance would be much easier. I may open a new thread on this idea so that it can get more viewability for more open discussion on it.

There's a lot of things the devs could/should do to help guilds however clearly their resources are stretched and me the others would like a solution at the time of the merges instead of 8 months later which is why instead of asking for big changes to the current system we just asked for the number to be increased. I know a full removal of the limit is asking for a change but I expected that to really come down to setting it to such a high value that nobody would notice :)

If a member hasn't logged on for 30 days this should AUTOMATICALLY reduce the ACTIVE members number as 1. This means the guild can invite another active to take the place of the inactive, WITHOUT REMOVING HIM. If inactives return, you will not be able to re-invite until you drop below the 1000 active members.

Part of asking for a cap increase/removal is so we don't have to keep turning away guild members and potential guild members because of some arbitrary number. It's a horrible experience for both you and them. Your suggestion leads to the same thing. Example; guild is at 980 slots when they announce the next expansion and you have 100 people return so the guild is now at 1080. Then you can't invite anybody else new or old until 80 people leave.

have a check box for group_by_legacy ... Then we can allow guild officers to remove entire PEOPLE at once.

You already can with Shift-Select however the current guild panel bugs mean it is very dangerous to do so.

1.) Instead of 1000 characters, it should be 1000 ACTIVE members. Meaning if you have 8 characters on one legacy, you will count as 1.

As I mentioned before, for some big guilds it could be only a temporary solution, especially after the merge. Yeah, there are still a lot of people who play the game!

There's a lot of things the devs could/should do to help guilds however clearly their resources are stretched and me the others would like a solution at the time of the merges instead of 8 months later which is why instead of asking for big changes to the current system we just asked for the number to be increased. I know a full removal of the limit is asking for a change but I expected that to really come down to setting it to such a high value that nobody would notice :)

Part of asking for a cap increase/removal is so we don't have to keep turning away guild members and potential guild members because of some arbitrary number. It's a horrible experience for both you and them. Your suggestion leads to the same thing. Example; guild is at 980 slots when they announce the next expansion and you have 100 people return so the guild is now at 1080. Then you can't invite anybody else new or old until 80 people leave.

You already can with Shift-Select however the current guild panel bugs mean it is very dangerous to do so.

I understand development time should be focused on the most important items. This is one of those items though. And really, this wouldn't take that long to implement, for such a nice improvement. The idea of making the 1000 be active members instead of just characters does raise the limit. We do not want the game to be simply 1 enormous guild. The limits to guild size deliberately make it more cumbersome for guilds to become too big, thats not a bad thing. Unfortunately it causes medium and small guilds a headache also, that's what we want to eliminate.

Your example problem of having 1080 active players? Seriously? If they changed the 1000 from characters to only count once per legacy and only count people who have logged in the last 30 days you really think most guilds will have a problem with 1000 limit? Are you currently seeing 700 or so logged on during your peak times? There is one guild that might, doubtful any others would hit that limit. The game shouldn't try to make it easy for there to be 1 guild and 1 guild only. That defeats the purpose of guilds altogether.

And really, the idea could be extended further to only count members who have 1 character in the guild above level 20 or something. This way noobs that join, and quit, don't pollute the guild maximum number for 30 days.

The shift-select (even if working) doesn't really make handling legacy as easy as it should be. These really are simple changes to a seasoned developer.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

You talk about "simple changes" but then seem to forget that the new guild panel has been broken from the start for over 8 months and then the fix ended up breaking it even worse and has remained that way for over 2 months. My intention is not to be mean about the developers, I am just stating the facts and that because of this clear problem with interface development I figure increasing a number is easier than tinkering with the interface.

I am not saying the suggestions for further changes to how the guild cap and guild panel works are bad. I am just trying to get the quickest solution to the character limit implemented first and at the time of merges when we need it before we have lots of guildless characters merged over and a whole lot of upset players.

If it turns out to be an easy change and can be implemented at the same time as mergers then I am 100% for them switching 1000 character slots for 1000 active accounts if that means all my guild members can have as many characters as they want in guild, especially with the alt cap being increased to 100.

Are you currently seeing 700 or so logged on during your peak times? There is one guild that might, doubtful any others would hit that limit.

It doesn't work like that for my guild. On busy nights we tend to have around 100 online but usually it's in the 60-70 range however these are not the same people each night. As I stated earlier, we have about 450 active accounts but in that count you must consider that I purge characters that have been inactive for 14 days or more each week to free up room.

The game shouldn't try to make it easy for there to be 1 guild and 1 guild only. That defeats the purpose of guilds altogether.

The purpose of a guild is whatever you want it to be and that will be different for each person.

Sure some guilds spam fleet and starter planets and invite anybody that wants to join, they become big collectives of people left to their own devices with no choice but to try and make their own groups, like mini-fleets. After a while people get board of that and look for something else.

Guilds with high activity and a large long term player base get that way from hard work. They develop an equilibrium between the number of people helping organise activities/leading and the number of people joining just to play. If you have 500 active accounts and only 1 person running events each night then the other people will become unhappy that they have nothing to do and leave plus the one person running things will burnout.

There have been a few people that have mentioned increasing the cap to help big busy guilds will have a negative impact on smaller guilds but nobody has stated why besides implying they will lose their members. Really that is about people having fun. If they join a guild and have a rubbish time then they will leave. If they join another guild and enjoy themselves then they will stay. Increasing the number of character slots does not change that.

Some guilds are constantly fighting the cap on a regular basis. My guild had been since before the cap was raised. We were so popular/visible that we filled up by the end of that summer after the cap was raised and had to remove unused alts not as often as other guilds but it was still something we had to deal with. A larger/no limit would alleviate those problems, regardless of Conquest being a factor as not every large guild is actively participating in Conquest.

Guild size is a factor for Conquest, yes, but more important is the percentage of members actively participating in it. a larger percentage rate will be more of a determining factor in how successful a Guild is over the sheer volume of members alone. If a larger Guild has little to no participation, they probably won't even register in the top 10 or they'll be at the lower half if they do. For example, say I'm in a Guild that has almost 900 members, but they may be lucky to break into the top 5 due to the lower percentage of actively participating members.

A game like swtor which really promotes playing alts and running them through the story at the same time restrict itself when it puts a limitation on how large social groups and communities (Guilds) can be. Either increasing the guild membership cap to applying to players account (as in having a maximum of 1000 different players, not characters) or removing the cap completely would help a lot in promoting the social and community aspect in swtor.

A game like swtor which really promotes playing alts and running them through the story at the same time restrict itself when it puts a limitation on how large social groups and communities (Guilds) can be. Either increasing the guild membership cap to applying to players account (as in having a maximum of 1000 different players, not characters) or removing the cap completely would help a lot in promoting the social and community aspect in swtor.

I agree

After the merge i will have over 70 Characters on server, a guildie will have 150. Thats almost 25% of the limit with just 2 accounts. So that means with just 10 accounts in a guild you could easily hit the 1000 character limit & that is just nuts that a guild can only hold 10 account & its full.

I think the account limit to a guild is a fair point but also agree with Ula Vii that it would take more work to input & we need the limit lifting now. So the only real option is to remove the cap altogether.