Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR Overhauled?

JadenFlamearrow

So when the devs say they are redoing the hardware what do they mean by that? I took it as a new game engine with new graphics as it is time for that. But it is a little farfetched. So please tell me what they mean by this.

They'll never replace the game engine. That would require a complete rewrite of the game.

So when the devs say they are redoing the hardware what do they mean by that? I took it as a new game engine with new graphics as it is time for that. But it is a little farfetched. So please tell me what they mean by this.

The game engine is software, not hardware, and is not something that can simply be 'changed' for a new one.

The game engine is software, not hardware, and is not something that can simply be 'changed' for a new one.

The game engine is not even software. It is the framework for software.

Changing game engines would be akin to replacing the foundation of the Empire State Building; can't be done without tearing the building down. Sure a foundation can be modified and repaired, but not replaced.

You cannot replace a game engine.

And I mean this as nicely as possible, but did you just stop reading mid-sentence?

"...replacing existing hardware and software with all the new Game Servers and supporting components."

It's clearly saying they're only replacing game servers, and the components which support the servers.

Edited by jedimasterjac

I can only guess.

New intel Xeon CPU's or maybe AMD's EPYC ?

Windows Server 2016 ? or RedHat Enterprise Server ?

We'll see, they said there will be a blog about new hardware and OS / software that will run on new servers...

EVE online did the same thing with server upgrades, some dev blogs from them:

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-iii-an-update/

EVE Online Servers / Clusters are running Windows Server 2012 R2, Datacenter Edition.

I hope bioware does very nice dev blog on their new hardware for us geeks.

Edited by -Spc

We can but hope the upgrade is to allow for better graphic options or more dynamic worlds and less lag when you put players together on a map for open world PvP or some such.

Ultimately if they are investing in new hardware their has to be a benefit to the user. Ultimately we don't know what this upgrade is, it could a 5 buck cable that doesn't really do anything but allows for a line in the next update that people can read too much into, get excited and then imagine its going to make some massive difference when in effect it does nothing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.