Shroud of Memory: Unfair?

CyberDirectorFre

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't require any pvp... haven't done it in a while but i don't remember ever doing any pvp to get HK51.

Also you can just get HK for 1M credits if you have him unlocked.

Wait, I can just buy me a droid? Yes please, since i already bought/unlocked him. Still, for me it really is about getting HK-55 back in the story because he's so much fun.

The Dulfy guide for the HK-51 mission notes that there's a part where you have to go into the PvP area on Tattooine to get something for the quest.

I wouldn't mind if they sell it in cartel market. I would mind if the cost is less than 6 months of sub. That's what we had to pay to get it.

It was actually 8 months of sub (January through August), at a cost of $120 at the single month rate of $15.

The BONUS CHAPTER should remain exclusive to those that actually MET the CLEAR AND EXPLICIT CRITERIA and therefore earned access to the BONUS CHAPTER, IMO.

That said, IF BW were to sell that BONUS chapter again, it should cost NO LESS than $120 and it should cost at least $150, IMO. There should be some penalty for the "second chance", IMO.

If Johnny doesn't want to pay that much, then he can live without that BONUS CHAPTER.

I think all of this crying about the BONUS CHAPTER being the conclusion of "The Shroud" is just grasping at straws by some people who KNOW that they did NOT meet the CLEAR AND EXPLICIT CRITERIA and that they do NOT deserve to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER, but are trying desperately for any way to justify their entitled attitudes.

Edited by Ratajack

Ratajack once again displaying his entitled attitude. "I've got it so nobody else gets to have it ever coz I iz speshul and happened to be here during a very narrow period of time whilst being strung along by corporate suits".

I AM EXCLUSIVE!!

Some of us weren't around for that Jack and now we have an annoying chapter knocking around on our screens haunting us forever. Funny thing is, us peasants would have never known about it if that chapter wasn't still hanging around in there.

Would it be fair to the people that met the requirements and supported the game during this promotion to now just give it to anyone for <reasons>?

I know this isn't what you meant, but the way I read this at first got me thinking...

What if the people who have the sub rewards could sell them to those that didn't get/have the chance to get them previously?

I have my free 60 and 65 boost slots that I will never use, I did Shroud of Memory on my main and will never touch it again on any of my alts (but it is not abandonable and just sits in all of their quest logs so I have to untrack it to make it go away), the only reason I use the Shae summoning is for an extra early crew skill gopher, I never use the walker mount. I'd be happy to give these things out to people if I could. Personally I'd do it for free but it would not be a bad idea to let subs sell them on the GTN for whatever they like.

The only issue would be that someone could just reroll toon after toon for the stuff, exploiting this to make unearned profits, but it would be easy enough to just cap it at 1 or 2 per account.

Just an interesting way to give people who missed it a chance to get it, and I'm probably not the only sub out there that isn't/doesn't use this stuff anyway.

<<But who knows maybe they'll release it later, whether anyone wants to admit it or not they technically did reissue the Party Jawa while yes it is called the Celebration Jawa and was reskinned it is the same thing as it does exactly the same thing as the Party Jawa so... who knows... time will tell...

>>

hmm, the celebration Jawa doesn't get you points in the Codex though. :(

Personally I hope they redo it so people can buy back time or something. There are people who have to take a break from playing for whatever reason and then come back. I did. And I missed out on HKs bonus chapter and the Shae Vizla companion :mad:

I'd gladly poney up cartel coins for a chance to get either of these back.

First of all, don't get me wrong; I have no issue with subscriber bonuses not being given out to people who didn't meet the requirements. I don't have a problem with a story being a subscriber bonus. There is something that I do have an issue with, though:

Why is the end of a story you can already begin locked in a subscriber bonus? The Shroud story is one that I found quite compelling, and would've liked to see play out to the end. Not to mention, it's kind of a pain to go through all of that Macrobinocular stuff, only to find out you need a group to finish the quest line. Is it fair to new players, to have them go through all of this, only to find out that there is no conclusion, that there will never be a conclusion?

If it were just a standalone HK-55 story (as I'm pretty sure it was advertised, no?), I wouldn't really mind. But as it is, preventing people from finishing a story they can freely begin, it just seems a bit unfair.

I'm sure there could be a fair enough way to have it available. Perhaps another subscriber bonus, that gives you some token that you take to a vendor, along with a few of all those special vendor currencies (like the things you get from the Shadow of Revan Flashpoints, and the Rakghoul DNA Canisters, the Bounty Contracts, etc.). Something more tedious than getting HK-51. Perhaps something you have to pay for, as well. You know, something that makes those who were subscribed at the time say "I'm glad I don't have to do all that!". I'm sure there's a satisfactory way to do it.

Ah, I don't know. It's a shame, is all. I'm kind of torn between thinking it'd be a bit unfair to give it out, but that it'd be a bit unfair to not give it out.

^The HK bonus mission ISN'T the end of ANY story, especially KOTFE. It's what it was advertised as: a bonus mission.

The only thing being unfair by just "giving it out" is the people who actually paid for many months of continuous subscription just to get it, only to have those who didn't WAH about it and get a handout anyway.

Edited by Willjb

I know this isn't what you meant, but the way I read this at first got me thinking...

What if the people who have the sub rewards could sell them to those that didn't get/have the chance to get them previously?

I have my free 60 and 65 boost slots that I will never use, I did Shroud of Memory on my main and will never touch it again on any of my alts (but it is not abandonable and just sits in all of their quest logs so I have to untrack it to make it go away), the only reason I use the Shae summoning is for an extra early crew skill gopher, I never use the walker mount. I'd be happy to give these things out to people if I could. Personally I'd do it for free but it would not be a bad idea to let subs sell them on the GTN for whatever they like.

The only issue would be that someone could just reroll toon after toon for the stuff, exploiting this to make unearned profits, but it would be easy enough to just cap it at 1 or 2 per account.

Just an interesting way to give people who missed it a chance to get it, and I'm probably not the only sub out there that isn't/doesn't use this stuff anyway.

Which exemplifies why the studio would NEVER do what you suggest. Nor is there any precedent over the last 6 years to suggestion that they would.

AND putting some sort of alleged "cap" would be pointless and just extra work for the studio. Why? Because one instance of said sellable "token" as you suggest would open it for an entire account. As for extra steps for the studio.... you don't to get to say on one hand that the studio does a poor job on changes and break stuff all the time and then suggest that is exactly what they should do in this case.

Edited by Andryah

<<But who knows maybe they'll release it later, whether anyone wants to admit it or not they technically did reissue the Party Jawa while yes it is called the Celebration Jawa and was reskinned it is the same thing as it does exactly the same thing as the Party Jawa so... who knows... time will tell...
>>

hmm, the celebration Jawa doesn't get you points in the Codex though. :(

Personally I hope they redo it so people can buy back time or something. There are people who have to take a break from playing for whatever reason and then come back. I did. And I missed out on HKs bonus chapter and the Shae Vizla companion :mad:

I'd gladly poney up cartel coins for a chance to get either of these back.

As I said before, I think that BW should honor there implicit agreements with those that MET the criteria to receive any of the past subscriber rewards. I do not think they should make any of the past subscriber rewards available again by any means, as that would undermine the effectiveness of any future subscriber reward promotions.

There are way too many FREE CC's floating around out there.

That said, IF BW were to make any of the past subscriber rewards available again, IMO, they should be real money purchases and NOT via CC's. There are way too many FREE CC's floating around out there.

In addition, as noted the cost should be no less than what anyone who met the criteria paid, and should be more, IMO. As I said before, there should be some additional cost for being given a "second chance".

Edited by Ratajack

Ratajack once again displaying his entitled attitude. "I've got it so nobody else gets to have it ever coz I iz speshul and happened to be here during a very narrow period of time whilst being strung along by corporate suits".

I AM EXCLUSIVE!!

Johnny wants a brand new '57 CHevy with less than 100 miles on it, but he missed that narrow one year window to obtain one. Should Chevy make a new one for him? After all, it's not his fault he missed that narrow window.

Some of us weren't around for that Jack and now we have an annoying chapter knocking around on our screens haunting us forever. Funny thing is, us peasants would have never known about it if that chapter wasn't still hanging around in there.

In the end, it makes no difference WHY some people did not meet the criteria to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER. The fact is that they did NOT meet those criteria and are NOT entitled to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER.

In the end, it makes no difference WHY some people did not meet the criteria to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER. The fact is that they did NOT meet those criteria and are NOT entitled to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER.

The fact is that the criteria you are citing don't even mention that the chapter is exclusive to people who subscribed during that period. It says it's a free chapter. It doesn't state they get an "exclusive chapter." That is neither written on the website's fine print nor the chapter description. If you want to bang on about criteria, you should make sure that the criteria actually give you exclusive rights in written form before subscribing for exclusivity.

They always used "bonus", "free" and "eligible." They never used the word "exclusive."

Bioware has done it before in the past too: A subscriber reward (Daggerstar) that was "Free for subscribers on October the 19th 2015." They made it available for everyone in the Origin SWTOR Deluxe Pack with 60 days of subscription and free CC. There is already a case of something that was advertised as exactly the same thing as the chapter (subscriber reward on date X) being put into a pack that others can purchase even after the cut-off date.

Johnny wants a brand new '57 CHevy with less than 100 miles on it, but he missed that narrow one year window to obtain one. Should Chevy make a new one for him? After all, it's not his fault he missed that narrow window.

I am very sure Johnny can find a Chevy with less than 100 miles on it if he puts enough money on the table. If people are willing to put 50-70€ on the table for the chapter, I am very sure Bioware will also ignore the fine print or find a way. After all, they put a subscriber reward into a Deluxe Pack long after the subscriber period too.

Edited by Alssaran

Which exemplifies why the studio would NEVER do what you suggest. Nor is there any precedent over the last 6 years to suggestion that they would.

AND putting some sort of alleged "cap" would be pointless and just extra work for the studio. Why? Because one instance of said sellable "token" as you suggest would open it for an entire account. As for extra steps for the studio....you don't to get to say on one hand that the studio does a poor job on changes and break stuff all the time and then suggest that is exactly what they should do in this case.

I simply saw it as a possible way to appease both parties. Not everyone who has the sub rewards clings to them jealously, and not all who don't have them want them for free.

I understand it wouldn't be like flipping a light switch. Thanks.

The part I highlighted...not sure what you mean. I acknowledged that it would be exploitable if Bioware did something so stupid as to look at my idea and just grant it to everyone, hence the cap.

Pointless is subjective in this case. Clearly people would like a way to get the rewards they missed on. These threads pop up on a weekly basis in a few of the forums. Not everyone WILLFULLY decided to not sub during a specific time. You know people join the game all the time, right? I agree with most people that they should not just be given to people (some threads have this attitude, I understand, those annoy me just as much as anyone), but I have zero problem with them having to do something similar but a little harder. Like they have to sub for double the time period that we did. Or allow CC unlocks, but for a really high cost. If people want them so badly, let them get them while they have to pay Bioware more to get them, either through double the sub time or CC.

My idea was really more of an incentive for subs to come over to the idea. I know some hold onto "special" things jealously, regardless of their quality (subjective again) and would rather die than allow some pleb to get what they have, but not all subs are this way. I'm not using any of the stuff I've been given for the sub rewards. Not because I don't think it's quality, I just have no use for 95% of it. It all gets destroyed or never used. You wouldn't see any subs that wouldn't mind selling this stuff? I'm not special enough to be the only one that would do it. (I also mentioned I'd do it for free, but THAT might be a little more difficult to convince)

I think all of this crying about the BONUS CHAPTER being the conclusion of "The Shroud" is just grasping at straws by some people who KNOW that they did NOT meet the CLEAR AND EXPLICIT CRITERIA and that they do NOT deserve to have access to that BONUS CHAPTER, but are trying desperately for any way to justify their entitled attitudes.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I am only interested because it ends the Shroud storyline. Were it simply a standalone HK-55 story, I might be a little disappointed that I can't play it, but I'd be okay with that. The fact that it wraps up an already established storyline, one that they put time and effort into making great, boggles my mind. It's nonsensical, and quite honestly, I find it a bit unfair.

I almost want to call it a cheap trick: hold hostage the end of a story, make sure people are subscribed right now or else they can't get it... but no, it wasn't even advertised as being the end of that story! So, it seems to just be bad marketing, mixed with a bad idea, and it strikes me as bizarre, and honestly, unfair.

How is it being entitled to desire to buy the end of a story I've already begun? I'm not asking for a handout, I want to purchase it.

^The HK bonus mission ISN'T the end of ANY story, especially KOTFE. It's what it was advertised as: a bonus mission.

The only thing being unfair by just "giving it out" is the people who actually paid for many months of continuous subscription just to get it, only to have those who didn't WAH about it and get a handout anyway.

Uh, yes it is. It wraps up the Shroud storyline, which quite honestly is more interesting that KOTFE. Yes, it's somewhat of a side storyline, but it's a rather major side storyline, one which you can begin on the Fleet, and one which is rather involved, time consuming and, perhaps most importantly, brilliant. To hide it behind a subscription exclusive bonus without telling anyone what the bonus actually was is absurd, and regardless of their lack of information about it, it's unfair to new players anyway.

I'm hardly "WAH"-ing, nor am I asking for it to be given out, anyway.

That said, IF BW were to make any of the past subscriber rewards available again, IMO, they should be real money purchases and NOT via CC's. There are way too many FREE CC's floating around out there.

In addition, as noted the cost should be no less than what anyone who met the criteria paid, and should be more, IMO. As I said before, there should be some additional cost for being given a "second chance".

Just curious, where are all of these free Cartel Coins you mention? The only free CC's I know of are the ones you get from achievements. In total, and I've played many hundreds of hours of this game, I've certainly made less than 1,000 CC's that way. So what are you talking about?

Then why the eff did they leave it there for everybody to see? It annoys the bejesus out of me.

I concede the rest, we'll end up in a circular argument and get nowhere. Not that us peasants getting it would affect you in any way. Whatever.

Just curious, where are all of these free Cartel Coins you mention? The only free CC's I know of are the ones you get from achievements. In total, and I've played many hundreds of hours of this game, I've certainly made less than 1,000 CC's that way. So what are you talking about?

Subs get 600 free coins each month. Security Key holders get 100 free coins each month. You get free coins when people click on your referral link (I'm not sure what the payouts are, they are conditioned on if the person subs or not, or if they're subbed already, etc etc).

Gotta love all the have-nots that think they're lawyers digging for anything... ANYTHING in the wording of advertisements and the ToS agreement and making absolutely silly comparisons to other things to justify getting stuffs again.

"Oh, they never said 'we will never make this available again' in the advertisement, which means I should have it."

* They all know what the advertisement said, and they all know they missed the boat, but still won't accept it.

"This <item> was in the game 4 years ago and it came back."

* An existing mount that was removed and brought back is not the same thing as a time-limited promotion to subscribe.

Really ridiculous and desperate grasping at straws. I wish they'd just delete these threads as soon as they pop up.

It was actually 8 months of sub (January through August), at a cost of $120 at the single month rate of $15.

You're right, my bad. I never paid atention to the details because my sub renews each month, so I was going to get it anyways.

Edited by Tadagyt

As I said before, I think that BW should honor there implicit agreements with those that MET the criteria to receive any of the past subscriber rewards. I do not think they should make any of the past subscriber rewards available again by any means, as that would undermine the effectiveness of any future subscriber reward promotions.

Look, we are beating a dead horse, and this topic keeps coming up again and again. There's people like you who believe the exclusive rewards should stay exclusive, and there's people like me who believe nobody loses anything, and only some people gain something. Anyway, as of now, they probably wont make this chapter available, that's the pure truth.

Now, if it were another company, it would be perfectly understandable that they keep the promises. But here, they broke their promises, repeatedly. The lied to us, repeatedly. They failed to deliver, repeatedly. At times, one would even think they were trying to kill their own game. So, why in the hell would they keep THIS specific promise, if they broke so many, many, many, many others?

It's their game, they can do whatever they want. It's their property, they can sell the chapter tomorrow, if they decide to do so. Some people feel the need to ask, and it may come the moment in which they are in serious need of money and numbers to show, so they sell it. That's what most of us are waiting for, that moment of weakness. They failed so many times at so many different areas of the game that failing on keeping subscriber rewards exclusive seems to me a petty matter, really.

Besides, really there's no need for folks like you to feel good by having something other people dont have, you may feel good by enjoying your stuff and letting the others enjoy theirs. I wont call any names, nor will i judge that type of attitute as i did in the past, but if you give it a little thought you'll see that it is no bueno.

And keep in mind im not saying for them to 'give it away', no. Either directly sell it, or buyable with CC. It is fair, it harms or wrongs nobody in any way whatsoever, makes much needed money for funding Anthem, and also makes a bunch of players happy. All gains, no losses.

Edited by DeVanagloris

Subs get 600 free coins each month. Security Key holders get 100 free coins each month. You get free coins when people click on your referral link (I'm not sure what the payouts are, they are conditioned on if the person subs or not, or if they're subbed already, etc etc).

I'll concede the Security Key CC's and the referral CC's, but surely the Subscriber coins aren't free. How can it be that some people paid $120 for the chapter, and yet some people get "free" CC's for Subscribing? It can't work both ways, and the other free CC's are negligible at best.

So either there's some other way to get free CC's, or there really aren't too many free CC's out there at all. A few hundred a month, compared to something that would doubtlessly cost thousands of CC's, were it made available.

Gotta love all the have-nots that think they're lawyers digging for anything... ANYTHING in the wording of advertisements and the ToS agreement and making absolutely silly comparisons to other things to justify getting stuffs again.

"Oh, they never said 'we will never make this available again' in the advertisement, which means I should have it."

* They all know what the advertisement said, and they all know they missed the boat, but still won't accept it.

"This <item> was in the game 4 years ago and it came back."

* An existing mount that was removed and brought back is not the same thing as a time-limited promotion to subscribe.

Really ridiculous and desperate grasping at straws. I wish they'd just delete these threads as soon as they pop up.

I haven't seen anyone say that any of those things are a reason why people should have the Chapter, just that these are possible reasons why BioWare might make the Chapter available, if they choose to do so.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I am only interested because it ends the Shroud storyline. Were it simply a standalone HK-55 story, I might be a little disappointed that I can't play it, but I'd be okay with that. The fact that it wraps up an already established storyline, one that they put time and effort into making great, boggles my mind. It's nonsensical, and quite honestly, I find it a bit unfair.

I almost want to call it a cheap trick: hold hostage the end of a story, make sure people are subscribed right now or else they can't get it... but no, it wasn't even advertised as being the end of that story! So, it seems to just be bad marketing, mixed with a bad idea, and it strikes me as bizarre, and honestly, unfair.

How is it being entitled to desire to buy the end of a story I've already begun? I'm not asking for a handout, I want to purchase it.

Uh, yes it is. It wraps up the Shroud storyline, which quite honestly is more interesting that KOTFE. Yes, it's somewhat of a side storyline, but it's a rather major side storyline, one which you can begin on the Fleet, and one which is rather involved, time consuming and, perhaps most importantly, brilliant. To hide it behind a subscription exclusive bonus without telling anyone what the bonus actually was is absurd, and regardless of their lack of information about it, it's unfair to new players anyway.

Just curious, where are all of these free Cartel Coins you mention? The only free CC's I know of are the ones you get from achievements. In total, and I've played many hundreds of hours of this game, I've certainly made less than 1,000 CC's that way. So what are you talking about

actually it was advertised as the end to the shroud story line. go back and look at the notes yourself, and see it you will.

If it means more people playing and more revenue for more development I say chuck it up for sale.

I would have gotten it either way personally so I really don't care if others get it now that need pay cash (especially considering "new players" never really had a chance to begin with).

It's bit different to vanity nonsense because it's actual gameplay and significant development and it's some of the best gameplay and story for the past few years so I would like more to experience.

Cash sales only though as previously mentioned, no CC purchases.

And keep in mind im not saying for them to 'give it away', no. Either directly sell it, or buyable with CC. It is fair, it harms or wrongs nobody in any way whatsoever, makes much needed money for funding Anthem, and also makes a bunch of players happy. All gains, no losses.

Actually, not true.

You have to expand your thinking and analysis a bit.

As has been pointed out by multiple people in this thread, and every other "I want xyz subscriber perk" threads ---> it is used as a marketing incentive to keep more players subscribed during the doldrum months between expacs. That generates more revenue.

It is precisely the exclusivity statements that maximize players on the edge of unsubbing to remain subbed. REVENUE otherwise lost.

As soon as you undercut the exclusivity statement.... players will never believe them again nor sub to get an incentive.. they will just wait it out and complain later and demand it be made available. That harms the studios bottom line, and as a result indirectly harms the player base who rely on the studio to keep the game moving forward. It also harms shareholders, and frankly I'm not sure they could get past their outside auditors if they were earning revenue from claims that they reversed themselves on later on.... that is likely to get a lot of scrutiny from outside auditors in this Sarbanes-Oxley era of financial accountability.

Edited by Andryah

The bonus chapter ISN'T a major story line. NOR was there ANY lack of information about it during it's WHOLE window. It was right there on the SWTOR homepage and for a long~ while! Also, no shortage of talk about it in in-game chat, I had seen. Because Johnny doesn't like to read or make the most miniscule effort to stay informed, shouldn't penalize the rest of us. Yeah, I get it: it's the best chapter ever because you can't have it NOW. Rather than just a small side story, albeit your rants and trying to blow it WAY~ out of proportion.

Edited by Willjb