Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Shroud of Memory: Unfair?

CyberDirectorFre

All I hear is the same people who bragged about being able to unsubscribe and still get all of KotFE at the end coming back and crying cause they want the benefits the people who stuck around got.

It doesn't matter what you say, or what you claim your story is, it's all just made up in an attempt to try to con Bioware yet again. The rewards were there for all to see, you chose to save money instead of helping Bioware keep going as a company.

You have shown where your loyalty is, so why should you be rewarded the same as the people who actually did stick around?

This assumes that everyone who is saying they want the Shroud was around at the time of the promotion. They were not. New people are still coming to the game.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a different boat about this quest. I qualified, got the in-game mail saying as much, I went through the process of reacquiring HK-55 v.2, and still haven't received the quest. I also can't open a ticket because my allotted tickets are full. I didn't know reporting spam opened UNCLOSEABLE TICKETS. Not only do I have a bunch of supposed tickets open, I can't close them. Some stupid error.

Yeah.... the inability to close a ticket that was created for spam reporting is annoying. That said.. they do generally reset these during a regular maintenance cycle (if the ticket has already been accepted and acted upon on the studio side, which you get no notification of.. because it was a spam report). Longest I ever saw the tickets linger was until a second maintenance cycle.

What I do is limit my spam reporting to about 10 targets... so that I always have ticket headroom to spare. I would prefer the studio treat spam reports as not counting as a ticket to your account, but this work around works fairly well... and I really don't report mail spam any more.. I just delete it without reading.

Edited by Andryah

This assumes that everyone who is saying they want the Shroud was around at the time of the promotion. They were not. New people are still coming to the game.

And that sucks, but the majority of the people who are demanding this are people who "cheated" and are now complaining that they didn't get the same rewards as people who didn't.

Stop acting like this is something unique to SWTOR. Pretty much every MMO has a time sensitive content releases and/or promotions that players who missed out on are just plain out of luck.

Timing does matter and is important....even in MMOs.

Stop acting like this is something unique to SWTOR. Pretty much every MMO has a time sensitive content releases and/or promotions that players who missed out on are just plain out of luck.

^OMG, IKR. Common sense. WAHers keep trying to confuse to issue, but no one is falling for it.

The ranting from the "other side of the fence" is cuz Jonny starts this thread every few weeks and historically Jonny rants and blows things WAY out of proportion every single time making ridiculous analogies and raging at others who have what Jonny don't.

The anti-Jonny's like myself are sick of it cuz Jonny doesn't have what I have cuz Jonny didn't do what Jonny was supposed to do and now Jonny won't stop throwing tantrums about it.

^Sums things up right on.

First of all, don't get me wrong; I have no issue with subscriber bonuses not being given out to people who didn't meet the requirements. I don't have a problem with a story being a subscriber bonus. There is something that I do have an issue with, though:

Why is the end of a story you can already begin locked in a subscriber bonus? The Shroud story is one that I found quite compelling, and would've liked to see play out to the end. Not to mention, it's kind of a pain to go through all of that Macrobinocular stuff, only to find out you need a group to finish the quest line. Is it fair to new players, to have them go through all of this, only to find out that there is no conclusion, that there will never be a conclusion?

If it were just a standalone HK-55 story (as I'm pretty sure it was advertised, no?), I wouldn't really mind. But as it is, preventing people from finishing a story they can freely begin, it just seems a bit unfair.

I'm sure there could be a fair enough way to have it available. Perhaps another subscriber bonus, that gives you some token that you take to a vendor, along with a few of all those special vendor currencies (like the things you get from the Shadow of Revan Flashpoints, and the Rakghoul DNA Canisters, the Bounty Contracts, etc.). Something more tedious than getting HK-51. Perhaps something you have to pay for, as well. You know, something that makes those who were subscribed at the time say "I'm glad I don't have to do all that!". I'm sure there's a satisfactory way to do it.

Ah, I don't know. It's a shame, is all. I'm kind of torn between thinking it'd be a bit unfair to give it out, but that it'd be a bit unfair to not give it out.

I know the feeling because my sub lapsed twice lol I ended with the 55 helmet like I wanted that lmao and it happened also with Shae and she was the only one I wanted to catch from the "catch em all" but you know I mostly get paid every month which is 31 days I sometimes get paid early depending on month/when the date falls on which day. (If it falls on a bank holiday/Sunday) I'll be paid earlier like the Friday before but yes I know how it feels kinda sucks the game time is every 60/180 which is sometimes a day out and on these two occasions the payment bounced which was a bummer but stuff happens I've realised not to worry to much besides I got the two best comps Treek and HK-51. Come on 51 is 10 times better none of that soppy nonsense 55 has like the sacrifice lol plus I have a deeper connection since the HK factory in Kotor 2 and the quest gave me more of a sense of attachment!

I wasn't acting like anything was unique, nor was I making any excuses for 'cheaters.' I was simply pointing out that saying that everyone who wants this chapter was one of the KOTET 'cheats' isn't correct.

There are always newcomers to the game, and they have that chapter in their list, albeit it's inaccessible to them. There's no way for them to know it was anything promotional from the chapter list, and they likely have no darn idea why it won't light up until they Google it.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

What I do is limit my spam reporting to about 10 targets... so that I always have ticket headroom to spare. I would prefer the studio treat spam reports as not counting as a ticket to your account, but this work around works fairly well... and I really don't report mail spam any more.. I just delete it without reading.

That's what I started doing, just deleting them and ignoring people in game. Unfortunately, I came back to game at the beginning of August and have a backlog of open tickets from then until now because I've been reporting every one I've gotten. I just found out about the ticket problem (and that reporting opened tickets) two days ago. Hopefully they cleanse all that stuff soon.

That's what I started doing, just deleting them and ignoring people in game. Unfortunately, I came back to game at the beginning of August and have a backlog of open tickets from then until now because I've been reporting every one I've gotten. I just found out about the ticket problem (and that reporting opened tickets) two days ago. Hopefully they cleanse all that stuff soon.

While it takes a bit longer, the other thing that has helped me reduce the number of open tickets from reporting spam is checking to see if a particular name has already been reported. I've discovered that the spammers usually hit multiple characters in my legacy, so I report the first email, then simply ignore the name on all the others as I cycle through characters. If I get one I'm not sure I've reported or not I'll go to the customer service menu and look at the list of reported spammers for that name. Again, it does take more time on my part, but it keeps the ticket count down, so I feel it's worthwhile, but understand why others may not want to spend their time that way.

All I hear is the same people who bragged about being able to unsubscribe and still get all of KotFE at the end coming back and crying cause they want the benefits the people who stuck around got.

It doesn't matter what you say, or what you claim your story is, it's all just made up in an attempt to try to con Bioware yet again. The rewards were there for all to see, you chose to save money instead of helping Bioware keep going as a company.

You have shown where your loyalty is, so why should you be rewarded the same as the people who actually did stick around?

Now I'm not the most vocal person when it comes to this chapter but this is a bit unfair. I wasn't around when the offer started (don't know if it's possible to check registration date on this forum but I first joined in March 2016, subscribed the first day I joined and stayed subscribed ever since (subscription just renewed this month for another 6 months).

Now when I stayed subscribed in 2016 (or, to be precise, during 4.0) I was receiving:

- A chapter every month, 16 chapters total,

- Some more or less fun reward every month (speeder, pet, deco and so on),

- Event that allowed me to get even more fun stuff (Master Ranos and tank mount being highlights).

- One new PVP arena for those who are into this kind of stuff,

- EC for those who are into this kind of stuff.

During 10 months of 5.0 I recieved:

- 9 chapters in one bath, 2-3 evenings of playing.

- 2 chapter-esque pieces of content (that is, rather short),

- Two big operation bosses.

- One daily area.

For what I see, reward-wise there were more reasons to keep subscription in 4.0 / 2016 (monthly content releases, monthly rewards, big reward at the end). And yet I keep my sub - because I like the game and because I want to support it. Why do you say I want to con Bioware?

(yes, I would like to get that chapter in my hands one day; no, I would not cry or cancel my sub if I don't get it; yes, I believe placing story content behind a limited-time requirement is a terrible idea)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.