Enjoy your Holiday off of work every1!

jediknightmiles

Well, enjoy your day off then, I assume it's like a bank holiday in the UK or something.... :p

You assume incorrectly. The end-of-summer holiday in the UK is the last Monday in August (that is, a week earlier than US Labor Day(1)).

And where I am, the nearest public holiday would be the 15th of August (the Assumption of Mary) before or the 1st of November (All Saints' Day) after.

(1) And the holiday that's most like Labor Day in its conceptual origin where I live is the 1st of May. Not the 1st Monday of May, but the 1st **DAY** of May. If that's a Saturday, well, good luck getting your week's shopping done, since most supermarkets are shut on Sundays.

You assume incorrectly. The end-of-summer holiday in the UK is the last Monday in August (that is, a week earlier than US Labor Day(1)).

And where I am, the nearest public holiday would be the 15th of August (the Assumption of Mary) before or the 1st of November (All Saints' Day) after.

(1) And the holiday that's most like Labor Day in its conceptual origin where I live is the 1st of May. Not the 1st Monday of May, but the 1st **DAY** of May. If that's a Saturday, well, good luck getting your week's shopping done, since most supermarkets are shut on Sundays.

Off by a week.

Yup, that's what threw me too. Labour Day is in May here as well (Germany). I always confused them when growing up in the States and moving here just exacerbated that.

...but I'm at work now.

Making time and a half for each hour worked, plus an additional eight hours' pay for the holiday itself, but still :rak_03:

I just got off lol... that's why I went in at 4am Masterceil. Y'all enjoy the holiday....The kids out of school today.... My house is loud.... I'd rather get the extra money. :D

I finished my final exam in the second course of copyediting yesterday - I get three weeks off until the third and last course! :D :D So I'm VERY happy. One of the first years that I can remember that I didn't have to be fretting over the imminent start of school (especially with my chaotic mess of a school...).

...I just hope I did okay on that test. o_o

Edited by Jagaimee

We're enjoying the long weekend. Yesterday was my b-day so we have leftover cake :D.

Today is just a quiet day around the house. My husband and I have run through a few flashpoints together.

The only thing we have to do is get the kid's stuff together for her start of 11th grade tomorrow.

I always forget the names of the holidays... I just call it September long weekend or August long weekend etc.

Only real exceptions are Christmas, new years and Canada Day (though this one is often just called the July long weekend too)

Edited by MadDutchman

I always forget the names of the holidays... I just call it September long weekend or August long weekend etc.

Only real exceptions are Christmas, new years and Canada Day (though this one is often just called the July long weekend too)

I moved from the States to Germany about 15 years ago. Let me tell you, there are a LOT of holidays here and I still haven't made a dent in remembering them. I finally had to sit down and enter them on my calendar because it was so frustrating to be hauled up short heading out to the market or another store only to find out it was an obscure "state" holiday.

I think there are twenty of them. :confused:

Labour Day is in May here as well (Germany). I always confused them when growing up in the States and moving here just exacerbated that.

May 1st is Labour Day for almost everyone but the US.

Considering the events around that date (a bombing of chicago policemen during a demonstration in reaction to police violently crushing a labour strike), it's understandable that they don't really want to commemorate that specific date, it also became the "communist holiday", of course, more or less celebrating the insurgents.

Anyway, happy holiday to those that have it today.

Edited by Mubrak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.