Why having an agro-dump is the most powerful ability in swtor

Darthanimus

Honestly your responses are not helpful and bring nothing to the thread. I understand that people have different ability levels, I understand people win trade and queue sync, and I understand that people use voice coms, and employ other methods to adjust the odds of winning more in their favor. . I am simply referring to the priority system in place where certain classes in ranked are picked first to be focused and defeated. There is a preference for classes that cannot remove themselves from a fight or stop themselves being focused. To say that one doesn't exist is just blatantly misleading to a valid point being made.

In addition I would add that a class with high mobility and/or an agro-dump are never picked first. Next time any of you doubters are in a ranked match and you suggest that you focus the operatives/scoundrels first just make a note of the responses you receive.

Your multiple comments on your supposedly very high level of skill accompanied by you referring to vanishes as aggro-dumps (a term which only really makes sense in PvE and a vanish is way more than an "aggro-dump") and saying these classes disappear multiple times, during an arena, along with the style of your rant and other things you say (like "All exhibited infinite hp pools during my ranked matches.") does not paint a picture of a very skilled player to me. I might be wrong, but hey, first impressions are first impressions.

With that said, operatives are kinda fragile if you can resist the urge to stun them while rolling and don't do too well under focus, unless heavily supported. Assassins are somewhat sturdier, but that minimal heal aside the only thing they can do is vanish and stay well out of the fight to replenish any HP. For both stealthers, while they're healing up, their team is essentially one man down.

We do get jugg/pt is not in a good position in the current meta (though I would refrain from calling them underpowered; I think it's more that the other classes are overtuned), but everyone that plays ranked any seriously knows that you either play a class that's good for ranked, or you understand you won't be the longest surviving member. (And PT still has a sick burst, btw.)

So Agro-dump is an ability that ceases attacks upon you, not all dumps are stealth.

Force barrier dumps agro

phasewalk is an agro dump of sorts

merc/mando defensives dumps agro

sin/shadow have stealth

oper/scoundrel has stealth

Sniper/slinger has balistic shield it can dump agro but not always. It can be a handicap to the play forcing them to remain in place till its expiration.

Mara/sent force camo

Jug/guardian not dump and a nerfed focused defense/enraged defense

Van/pt weak defensives kolto overload is inadequate

Whatever point you have is lost by your misuse of the term aggro dump. That is not what it is. And no merc don't have one nor do snipers.

Its an escape. A way to get out of combat and/or avoid being focused. It is not a threat dump or aggro dump. Please stop using the wrong term.

Yes classes with these escapes have a big edge, 'nuff said.

Me : «focus operative healer first ?»

Team Members : «ok»

Operative Healer get globaled

:rak_02: was it the intended reaction ? :rak_02:

Don't get too upset about it. Just learn to deal with it. I'm the first to complain about class inbalance and still I keep playing a dps sin in 2017 even though it's really hard to last long in ranked against two merc/sniper/mara... things will go back in order someday... just hope that it won't take too long. ;)

I meant dps, however the hps of oper/scoundrels are higher than the other healing classes atm.

Your multiple comments on your supposedly very high level of skill accompanied by you referring to vanishes as aggro-dumps (a term which only really makes sense in PvE and a vanish is way more than an "aggro-dump") and saying these classes disappear multiple times, during an arena, along with the style of your rant and other things you say (like "All exhibited infinite hp pools during my ranked matches.") does not paint a picture of a very skilled player to me. I might be wrong, but hey, first impressions are first impressions.

With that said, operatives are kinda fragile if you can resist the urge to stun them while rolling and don't do too well under focus, unless heavily supported. Assassins are somewhat sturdier, but that minimal heal aside the only thing they can do is vanish and stay well out of the fight to replenish any HP. For both stealthers, while they're healing up, their team is essentially one man down.

We do get jugg/pt is not in a good position in the current meta (though I would refrain from calling them underpowered; I think it's more that the other classes are overtuned), but everyone that plays ranked any seriously knows that you either play a class that's good for ranked, or you understand you won't be the longest surviving member. (And PT still has a sick burst, btw.)

Classes that can vanish do so during a ranked match, they heal up and then reenter, this can occur multiple times.

I dont know what is unclear. If you have a team of maras/sentinels and operatives/scoundrels (dps) then they pretty much do this many times over. If a team of classes that can vanish and cease all agro upon themselves do this its an agro dump in my book, regardless of other uses vanishing may have, for the purpose of this thread it is an agro-dump ability in PvP, force barrier is an agro-dump too for the record. My issue is what I have said all along, vanishing out is the most powerful ability in the game. When a team can focus an enemy from full hp to 0% hp then they are at a very distinct disadvantage. Of course off heals matter and defensives matter, but the classes with a vanish ability or agro-dump has defensives also. In a ranked match I have witnessed maras and opers vanish out multiple times rehealed to full each time, that in my book is an unlimited pool of hp. The classes are very difficult to follow too, your playable class would need to be highly mobile too to find them. Operatives (concealment) cannot be stunned while rolling, no one goes lethality, and a medicine oper has utilities they can take that enable instant healing.

Jug underpowerd vs other classes being overtuned is an odd thing to say tbh, its a relative thing, and your term is essentially the same thing I said. PTs have burst, yes, but no one seriously goes this class in ranked, they get ridiculed and hated on for doing so cause its a defeat for sure.

My assessment stands you have not made a convincing argument...In a ranked setting jugs and pts (dps) get focused first cause they cannot dump agro. They need support from teammates such as off healing to be of any use. Therefore what I say is right, solo ranked puging with classes that has no agro dump (see my previous post for abilities that can stop you being focused when used) need extra support such as offhealing to be of any use. With out such help from teammates then they do badly when compared to other classes.

Finally I would like to add that with all the quesyncing and wintrading that goes on (I have seen it happen multiple times with well know guilds at the end of season 8) means that finding where a class needs to be improved upon can be very hard to see.

Whatever point you have is lost by your misuse of the term aggro dump. That is not what it is. And no merc don't have one nor do snipers.

Its an escape. A way to get out of combat and/or avoid being focused. It is not a threat dump or aggro dump. Please stop using the wrong term.

Yes classes with these escapes have a big edge, 'nuff said.

For want of a better term, it does what it says on the tin. dumps agro from enemy pvpers, I use it illustratively. there are abilities such as force barrier and responsive safeguards that do the same thing. Enemies cease to beat on you cause its pointless. Its a way of agro dumping, stop splitting hairs on the words I am using.

im not sure if i should laugh or cry as the miss uses what "agro dump" is. which only pve mechanic at that. "agro dump" drops threat and threat is only relevant in PVE

Get out **** DCD's are not "agro dumps" anywhere but in pve

Edited by Kyuuu

im not sure if i should laugh or cry as the miss uses what "agro dump" is. which only pve mechanic at that. "agro dump" drops threat and threat is only relevant in PVE

Get out **** DCD's are not "agro dumps" anywhere but in pve

Call them what you will...I will call them what the hell I want.

For want of a better term, it does what it says on the tin. dumps agro from enemy pvpers, I use it illustratively. there are abilities such as force barrier and responsive safeguards that do the same thing. Enemies cease to beat on you cause its pointless. Its a way of agro dumping, stop splitting hairs on the words I am using.

No your wrong. It does not drop aggro. Aggro is a PvE concept not a PvP one first of all. Second responsive safeguards forces you to change tactics not stop attacking, switch to AoE or just stun them for the duration and they get little to no value from it. Stealth actually takes them out of combat and allows them to escape from the first for as long as they wish, totally different. Force barrier does take them out of the fight but they are still in sight and can be targeted and their timer watched so...safe, but nothing like what stealth does or even phase walk which would be closer in effect to stealth in my veiw.

Your mixing terms, and throwing together powers that really don't work similarly.

The DCD arms race only makes things worse. I think the health pools are far to low in relation to damage output which is why "de-aggro" abilities are the only thing that can save you from getting instagibbed from a 4v1 focus in arenas, and of course if health pools were increase healing should be decreased so that matches will eventually end.

This is supposed to be an RPG and that means it should have a level of strategy and counterplay not how it is now where you can get instagibbed like a shooter game.

Edited by KevinQCowart