The Sanctuary of Regret

Lunafox

Beware the snake who speaks with logic.

I loved the opening where she has to verify that she's not still locked in carbonite. I'm sure that nightmare will follow her for quite some time.

What is Darmas' long game? He definitely has a plan and starts with sowing seeds of doubt and mistrust to separate Lia from those she should trust the most. Why that angle? Then establishes a link with her mother, another ploy to get inside her head. And then admits he is Jonas' father, which must have some effect since she so recently lost her own. He is quite good at wrapping his plan in layers of truth.

To use her 'gift' to get close to Arcann may be a way in, but the cost may be steeper than she knows. Nice touch with the needles and Synox. Undetectable even to scans, I'd assume. Poison, stock in trade of the spy. But still, Arcann, I shudder at the thought. And we mustn't forget about bats.hit crazy Vaylinn.

I do hope she can rescue Nox and Andronikus but then what? And Scourge is on Zakuul also. Perfect recipe for a not so quiet storm.

Nice bit of intrigue you've got going. So impatient to see what happens next. Great chapter as always.

Thanks for the plug for my story on AO3, I appreciate it. I would consider it bad form for me to tout a story myself, but having you consider it worth reading and telling others means a great deal to me.

Edited by MishaCantu

Interesting chapter.

It seems like Liatrix is suffering from nightmare and/or sleep issues, which does not surprise me at all. Residue trauma from being locked in carbonite so long, poor thing.

I love Darmas' character, especially the way you voice him but he leaves me uneasy as hell. On the surface, it seems like a nice and helpful conversation between them but... I don't know. Despite his insistence for urgency and privacy, the message could have waited til morning imho, but instead he intrudes on her in her room in the dead of night.

As much as I hate to admit it, he has a fair point regarding Lana, Senya, and Koth, no matter his potentially duplicitous reasons for bringing it up. I do get the feeling he's trying to maneuver Liatrix, and himself, into a certain position. His plan, clever as it is, strikes me as extremely dangerous and risky especially when there's Vaylin to worry about too. I can't believe he suggested she goes in without her weapons.

He creeps me out. He also conveniently left out the part where he tried to take advantage of her mother, making himself sound like a potential savior of sorts instead, blah. Yet, he is charming as hell too, Lia needs to be careful, I have a strong feeling he's playing her marvelously.

I'm also curious about the number 7, which Lia's lying about and I can't help but wonder what One is up to and when he'll show his face. Probably at the most inconvenient moment.

Wonderful addition as always. :)

Beware the snake who speaks with logic.

I loved the opening where she has to verify that she's not still locked in carbonite. I'm sure that nightmare will follow her for quite some time.

What is Darmas' long game? He definitely has a plan and starts with sowing seeds of doubt and mistrust to separate Lia from those she should trust the most. Why that angle? Then establishes a link with her mother, another ploy to get inside her head. And then admits he is Jonas' father, which must have some effect since she so recently lost her own. He is quite good at wrapping his plan in layers of truth.

To use her 'gift' to get close to Arcann may be a way in, but the cost may be steeper than she knows. Nice touch with the needles and Synox. Undetectable even to scans, I'd assume. Poison, stock in trade of the spy. But still, Arcann, I shudder at the thought. And we mustn't forget about bats.hit crazy Vaylinn.

I do hope she can rescue Nox and Andronikus but then what? And Scourge is on Zakuul also. Perfect recipe for a not so quiet storm.

Nice bit of intrigue you've got going. So impatient to see what happens next. Great chapter as always.

Thanks for the plug for my story on AO3, I appreciate it. I would consider it bad form for me to tout a story myself, but having you consider it worth reading and telling others means a great deal to me.

Indeed, have to be careful with Darmas, he's a tricky one, for sure.

I'm glad you enjoyed the opening, it seemed to make sense that she would have nightmares and anxiety attacks because of the carbon freezing. For someone like her, being trapped in one place and held down is a real torture.

Darmas definitely has plans, and of course the first steps to achieving anything is to place oneself in a position of trust, which typically means undermining the other trusted people. He's very good at presenting himself with his charm and ability to appraise and work the angles.

I think you're right about the costs of her infiltration gig. With Darmas being as clever an agent as he is, I suspect those micro needles are quite untraceable even in scans. I would think they're forged of some sort of material that doesn't tend to show up on scans...likely a blend of some organic metal with biological material, that would translate as things naturally found in the body's composition.

And crazy Vaylin is never too far from my thoughts. Hopefully the next bit will be a bit fun. ^^ *fingers crossed*

Thanks for reading and commenting, and you're quite welcome, I was happy to do the recommendation for you. Your story is wonderful, but I understand your apprehension in posting it here, given the adult possibilities you've teased at. I still think it would be fine to post here, but it's always what you're comfortable in doing. :)

Interesting chapter.

It seems like Liatrix is suffering from nightmare and/or sleep issues, which does not surprise me at all. Residue trauma from being locked in carbonite so long, poor thing.

I love Darmas' character, especially the way you voice him but he leaves me uneasy as hell. On the surface, it seems like a nice and helpful conversation between them but... I don't know. Despite his insistence for urgency and privacy, the message could have waited til morning imho, but instead he intrudes on her in her room in the dead of night.

As much as I hate to admit it, he has a fair point regarding Lana, Senya, and Koth, no matter his potentially duplicitous reasons for bringing it up. I do get the feeling he's trying to maneuver Liatrix, and himself, into a certain position. His plan, clever as it is, strikes me as extremely dangerous and risky especially when there's Vaylin to worry about too. I can't believe he suggested she goes in without her weapons.

He creeps me out. He also conveniently left out the part where he tried to take advantage of her mother, making himself sound like a potential savior of sorts instead, blah. Yet, he is charming as hell too, Lia needs to be careful, I have a strong feeling he's playing her marvelously.

I'm also curious about the number 7, which Lia's lying about and I can't help but wonder what One is up to and when he'll show his face. Probably at the most inconvenient moment.

Wonderful addition as always. :)

Thanks! :D And yes, Liatrix suffers from nightmares and claustrophia issues, anxiety etc as a result of the carbon freezing. It would a horrible thing to endure and I think like you say, it would stick with you.

What an awesome compliment about my Darmas. I'm glad he's having that effect on you. He's a fun character to do, but also a tricky one. He has reasons for everything he does, nothing is random. He's as clever as Vowrawn, but a lot less jovial. He does bring up valid points and appraisals, and mingled with the truth, even if it is a polished version of his truth, makes him seem quite trustworthy. He really does have a lethal charm and exploring him will hopefully be fun to do.

The number '7' might have deeper issues :D So far, it's in reference to the seven words he says to Liatrix, 'it doesn't have to be this way.' I suspect there might be more significance to it. :D Interesting that you bring up One, he's still in the shadows, but he's never far behind.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate your lovely review. I'm grateful to hear from you and Misha both, and welcome hearing from others as well, assuming they're still with me lol. :D

I'm still with you!!!:D

Sorry, got 2 chapters behind and had to catch up. I actually slowed down my reading for a little while and got behind on a lot of stuff:) But I'm glad to be back in sync with this amazing story again.

I loved the last line in chapter 21...... vengeance is coming and it's name is Scourge! Have to wonder what that's going to mean for Theron and Liatrix now......a lot of heartache and mixed feelings I am afraid. I've also very much enjoyed all the twists and turns the story has taken, especially involving Darmas, who is quite a fascinating character to read. You definitely do him quite well. His idea about Lia poisoning Arcann is pretty scary though even if it is ingenious:)

Looking forward to your next chapter:)

I'm still with you!!!:D

Sorry, got 2 chapters behind and had to catch up. I actually slowed down my reading for a little while and got behind on a lot of stuff:) But I'm glad to be back in sync with this amazing story again.

I loved the last line in chapter 21...... vengeance is coming and it's name is Scourge! Have to wonder what that's going to mean for Theron and Liatrix now......a lot of heartache and mixed feelings I am afraid. I've also very much enjoyed all the twists and turns the story has taken, especially involving Darmas, who is quite a fascinating character to read. You definitely do him quite well. His idea about Lia poisoning Arcann is pretty scary though even if it is ingenious:)

Looking forward to your next chapter:)

There you are! Missed seeing you around. *hugs* :D

Glad to hear you're still with me. ^^ I hear you, I know exactly what that's like and fall behind on my reading (and other things too) from time to time. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying the story, and Darmas, he's fun but complicated to write for, and I'm glad that's coming across well. I think Darmas is quite capable of awful things, just how awful, I guess, time will tell. As for Liatrix and Theron, well, I suppose, I do see some interesting times ahead. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment, it's much appreciated. <3

Edited by Lunafox

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Twenty-Three

The shuttle emerged from hyperspace high above Zakuul. In the seconds that followed there was a sensation of being suspended in perfect darkness and silence. Though the phenomenon was brief, it often felt like minutes instead of seconds and when it ended it felt like something precious had been lost, reminding Liatrix of her first time.

She gazed out at Zakuul’s deceptive serenity. Spires as sharp as bayonets lined the divide between night and day while the sun oozed out from behind the carmine moon to cast a russet glow across the world below.

There was no denying the beauty of the vista. At any other time, or in any other place, a view like this would have stolen her breath away, perhaps even inspired thoughts of what it would mean to call such a place home—but enjoying its splendor, even secretly, felt like an endorsement of Valkorion’s vision and all he’d done to create it.

The anger she’d felt during Ziost’s apocalypse wouldn’t rise at her biding. Time had diluted her rage to indifference and the bile she expected to taste never came. All her life she’d been told how time is the great healer and she wondered how many eternities she’d need after this mission.

The skyline reminded her of the poison-filled needles behind her fingernails. She brought the shuttle about in a sweeping arc to land on the circular platform protruding from the apex of the seventh spire. The tower lingered on the cusp between light and shadow and was second only to the throne room in height and grandeur.

To her surprise, no knights or troopers came to arrest her as she deplaned. The wind shivered through the filmy phthalo blue robes she wore and goose pimples stippled her exposed shoulders. The air was sweet and pungent, redolent with the fresh scent of ozone.

Inside, her footfalls echoed in the empty hall and the long walk to the chamber ahead reminded her of the last walk she took with her father. If she dwelled on his memory now, she might lose her resolve. He would not approve, but then Arcann was not his problem to solve, but hers.

Crossing the transparisteel bridge to the observatory was like walking among the stars. The island was encased in a seamless glass bubble and housed a mighty telescope that faced the night sky. Arcann stood in the center of it with his back to her and flanked by the twin moons. Their combined pearly light brightened his already immaculate white armor and gave it a ghostly aura.

Like Zakuul, there was a deceptive beauty about him—the shining prince, a light to his world—but a closer look revealed the taint of the twisted monster inside. The black metal arm capped by the skeletal claw was a fetid reminder of the mass evils he’d inflicted on the planets that challenged him. Where Valkorion was a devourer of worlds, using the life force to better himself—Arcann was content to destroy and waste the lives he’d taken, leaving Liatrix at a loss to decide which crime was worse.

She remained in the slanted column of his shadow, her stare drilling into the back of his head.

“You came,” he said. His voice, while gruff, lacked its usual hostility.

“That surprises you.”

“I wasn’t sure you’d receive my message.”

“It wasn’t all that hard to figure out—seven letters in my name—our first real conversation took place here, in the seventh spire. I don’t think you could’ve made it any plainer.”

“It’s a number of great significance in my world—it speaks of the mysteries of the galaxy.”

She drifted closer to him and he leered at her reflection.

“You’re unarmed,” he observed.

“I took a chance.” She joined him at his side and stared out at the twin moons. “You never did tell me their names.”

“Father didn’t tell you?”

“No, and if he did I was probably too busy ignoring him.”

His grunt suggested amusement. “The one to my left is Dysnomia—that one,” he said nodding in her direction, “is Ponos.”

“And the largest? The red one?”

“That one is Neikea.” He turned to face her and she remembered the disparity in their sizes. While not as broad in the shoulder as Scourge, he was just as solid and tall. “Why did you come? You were resistant before…”

“Two reasons…first off, you’re holding people who have nothing to do with us. I want you to let them go.”

“That’s where you’re mistaken, they have everything to do with us.”

“I don’t understand how.”

“You will,” he said firmly and clasped his hands behind his back. “And the second reason?”

“You,” she murmured. “We could’ve been allies. I can’t help but wonder how different things might’ve been—if you hadn’t betrayed me.”

“This was never about you, Liatrix. It was always about Father,” he growled. “I never expected he would do what he did to you.”

“That makes two of us. We were outplayed, and like you, I want him gone for good.”

He devoured her with his gaze and made no effort at hiding his longing. “And if I were to tell you, I desire more than that?”

She looked up at him demurely and swallowed. “You’re going to have to do better than that—the last time I trusted you, I lost everything.”

“Perhaps now—I can give it back to you.”

She scoffed under her breath. “How?”

I could be your husband. You’d bear my children. You would be Empress of Zakuul and we would reign for eternity.”

“Don’t you think Vaylin might have something to say about that?”

“She’s my sister. She knows her place.”

“Speaking of which, where is she?”

“Away—seeking healing for what Father did to her. He locked her power away. She understands better than any of us, what he’s capable of.”

“What if you can’t control her? What then?”

“Leave that to me—but first, we must rid you of Father’s influence.”

“And how are you going to do that?”

“This woman I’ve captured, the Sith Empress—she has the ability to trap ghosts.”

Liatrix positioned herself in front of him. “You think she could trap Valkorion?”

“She’d better. I need to be certain you’re free of him.”

“What’s keeping her from turning on you? I know her, she’s treacherous.”

Arcann canted his head. “You’re concerned about me…”

She gazed up at him earnestly. “Is it really so hard to believe?”

He turned his face away. “You’ll forgive me—the concept is foreign to me.”

“Surely someone has felt that way about you before?”

“My brother, Thexan—perhaps. He and I looked out for each other. I don’t wish to discuss him.”

“It hurts, I can tell.” She reached up, not quite brushing his exposed cheek. “May I touch you?”

He nodded. “You may.”

She caressed his cheek and his face sank into her palm and his eye closed. He reveled in her touch like a feral animal learning to trust. The simplicity of his affection weighed on her.

Think of the millions, dead because of him.

Liatrix drew closer and breathed against his ear. “What if I were to tell you, I desire more than this?”

He pulled back and eyed her warily. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying—I want you. I want to feel you inside me.”

He broke away from her and paced. Darmas had stressed the importance of making her attraction known; expressing desire for a target usually stirred theirs in response.

“You’ve awakened a part of me I’d almost forgotten.”

“Then let me help you remember,” she urged, moving closer to diminish the distance between them.

“I can’t—I mustn’t,” he said, his voice rumbling like low thunder.

She traced the inside of his thigh with the backs of her fingers, straying higher and dangerously close to his groin. “What’s stopping you? I want to be with you.”

He seized her shoulders. “Father is stopping me or I would take you against this telescope,” he snarled, his voice coiling like a serpent. “I’d do it before this entire galaxy—and none would dare question it.”

“Coward,” she teased cruelly. Her heart pattered like a hummingbird’s and a thin sheen of sweat coated her palms. She pressed her hands against her sides allowing them to linger so that her hands would dry against the fabric.

He tugged her against him, rapid breaths escaping his mask like a ronto about to charge. “I told you—this was never about you. It’s him,” he grunted. “I have to be sure you’re free of him. Only then, can we truly be together.”

“Then—bring Nox here, I’m getting impatient,” she said matter-of-factly. “If Valkorion is all that stands between us, let’s get rid of him—once and for all.” She peered up at him longingly. “And then…we’ll make love under the stars.”

“You don’t want to wait?”

“Do you?” she whispered.

Arcann stared at her for a long time, a savage glint blazing in his eye. Without a word, he released her and strode toward the com unit on the far side of the observatory. “Bring the Sith Empress to my observatory—quickly,” he barked into the com.

He kept his distance and returned his focus to the stars while they waited. Something in his stoic silence reminded Liatrix of her father and she winced. Fleeting images of their naked bodies crushed together invaded her awareness. She imagined his metal claw pawing at her flesh and shivered.

Think of something good. Think of Theron.

Despite her best efforts, no pleasant memories came, only the realization that Theron would be questioning her absence maybe even searching for her by now. He would find her droid and learn the truth.

Before she could dwell on what his reaction might be, a quartet of Zakuulan Knights escorted a struggling Nox into the observatory. The Knight Captain lagged behind the others, jabbing her with his glaive when she dawdled or complained.

Nox’s gaze landed on Liatrix, but the latter’s expression remained impassive.

“You’re alive,” Nox gasped.

“Silence.” Arcann snapped as he descended from the platform. “I trust you’re ready to perform the ritual as we discussed?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Nox grumbled. “I can make no guarantees.”

“I gave you access to the shrines of our distinguished dead. Surely you acquired the fortitude to perform the exorcism.”

“Is she agreeable?” Nox pressed, her eyes drifting back to Liatrix.

“Arcann and I are destined to be together. The sooner you free me of Valkorion, the sooner I can embrace my future. Will you help me?”

Nox narrowed her eyes. “We’ll need to work together, this won’t be easy.”

“I’ll do everything in my power to help…I promise.”

“The let us begin,” Arcann said, nodding his permission to his guard to release Nox from her bindings.

The guards ignited their glaives and positioned themselves around Nox.

“Arcann, tell your golden lapdogs, I require room to work.” She stretched out her arms and laced her fingers to crack them.

He nodded and his guardians backed off.

“Much better,” Nox crooned. “Incarnal, if you would be so good as to stand before me.”

Liatrix cast a desirous side eye at Arcann as she passed him and took her place. Nox arched a brow and kept her gaze fixed on Liatrix.

“Is this what you really want?” Nox mouthed.

“Yes. Trust me,” Liatrix responded in kind. “Get him out of me,” she said loudly enough for Arcann and the knights to hear.

"Very well…but I require a few drops of your blood,” Nox said.

Liatrix glanced over her shoulder at Arcann and extended an upturned palm. “Give her what she needs…”

Arcann took her hand and made a cut along the fateline spanning the center of her palm. She winced at the blade’s bite and cupped her hand to allow the blood to pool. Nox sandwiched Liatrix’s hand between her own, allowing the blood to ooze between them.

“Dwomutsiqsa,” Nox chanted. The word began as a low rumble in the back of Nox’s throat and grew in volume and clarity as the word became a seamless mantra.

The darkness in Liatrix’s blood awakened, their voices hissing in her mind. Through them, she understood the word meant ‘summon the demon’ in the ancient tongue of the Red Sith. The darkness fought the pull and Liatrix cried out as the sensation of a thousand hands gripped her in an effort to resist Nox’s command.

A smoky rust-black aura gathered around Liatrix and her body shuddered involuntarily. The aura separated from her body and hung between her and Nox in a shapeless mist. As the chant grew in pitch the aura began to take the shape of whatever each person in the chamber feared most.

The knights backed away, muttering the name, “Izax” under their breath. Nox saw a weakened version of herself, stripped of the Force and compelled to serve under the bite of a lash. The vision impelled Nox to chant more fervently until her eyes glowed with a livid purple light.

Liatrix saw a reflection of what she might become—an empty but immortal vessel doomed to devour worlds for the fleeting sensation of what it meant to be alive and taste love.

Arcann glared at the aura as it gathered into Valkorion. Valkorion’s image extended its hand to Arcann and hissed, “Come with me, son…”

“Never,” Arcann snarled.

The ghosts of Erghast, Andru, and Horak-mul appeared behind Nox and behind them, an army of lesser spirits emerged—the bedraggled remnants of Zakuul’s great warriors, many of them knights and scions.

The spirits merged into a growing mass of ethereal blue light. As it expanded, it devoured the rusty aura. In a bright flash, the mass exploded. Nox collapsed and the thready remnants of what remained seeped into her body.

Liatrix faltered and caught Arcann’s proffered arm. Before her vision cleared, the black armored apparition of Tulak Hord stood before her and laughed before he turned his back to her, his cloak billowing as he vanished.

“He’s gone,” Liatrix wheezed.

“Father’s gone, at last.”

A heavy silence hung over the observatory. “Take her back to her cell,” Arcann commanded, tossing a backhand in Nox’s direction.

The Knights scooped Nox’s unconscious body from the floor and left Liatrix and Arcann alone in the observatory.

“Are you all right?” Arcann murmured.

She turned to face him and pressed her hand against his chest, staining the bevor protecting his heart with her blood.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she whispered.

He held her and she closed her eyes. Darmas’s advice resurfaced in her mind—simple words and touches that came involuntarily with a lover were suddenly strategies and weapons. Each action would beget another until climax.

She bit down on her lower lip and moistened it just enough to plump it. Many a man’s weakness is a full, pouty, lower lip, Darmas had said.

Remember why you’re here. In and out, home before dinner.

She gazed up at him from under her lashes and parted her lips in a subtle pout, allowing her lip to quiver just enough to convey her desire. Her hand slid lower, hovering over the clasp of his faulds.

“You desire me,” he said quietly.

“I do.”

He stared at her and his breath came in shallow wanting puffs through his rebreather. “You’re certain? You don’t wish to wait? The galaxy will never again behold an occasion as grand as our wedding.”

“And they’ll have it, but our union…tonight is for us.” With a deft flick of her fingers, the faulds cinching his waist fell away with a clatter, giving her access to the rest of the stays binding his armor. She circled him slowly, meticulously, stripping away his armor piece by piece to expose the strapping man underneath.

Her gaze drifted to the massive scars on his chest. She traced the leaf-shaped mark that had grown over where his metal arm met his flesh. He shivered and reached out to unclasp the gathered collar at her throat—the lynchpin to the rest of her robes.

The deep blue garments fell away and she stood before him, fully exposed. She stepped free of her clothing and shoes and kicked them aside.

He brushed the star-shaped scar he’d inflicted on her with his lightsaber and her breathing hitched—another practiced move, Darmas taught her to execute on cue.

“Do you need this?” she asked, idly tracing the ebony contours of his mask.

“You don’t wish to see what lies beneath. It is…grotesque.”

“I want to know all of you. I want to taste you…” She reached down, fingers coiling about his erection.

He eyed her, his golden eye narrowed with apprehension. “Free me, of all this…”

She reached up to unfasten the gorget around his throat. The piece clattered to the floor and he removed his rebreather, to reveal his full face. The tissue surrounding his mouth and covering his left cheek was gnarled into a twisted knot of hardened flesh and the socket surrounding his eye sagged enough to reveal the pink tissue underneath.

“I repulse you,” he grumbled.

She reached up and drew him down to her, one hand milking his length, the other brushing the nape of his neck. Her lips sought his ruined mouth and as she closed her eyes, she thought of Theron.

He pressed her against the cool metal of the massive telescope’s base and in one powerful motion, he perched her on the base and entered her. She coiled her legs around him and locked her ankles together below the swell of his buttocks. She moaned as he thrust into her, his length slick and robust.

She splayed her fingers over his back and squeezed her thighs around him to hold him fast. He growled against her ear and she fought the urge to dig her nails into his back.

Not yet.

She nuzzled a slick path across his skin and suckled his scar. He quickened his thrusts, and his hands clenched her backside, the metal claw digging into her flesh, but gave no indication he was nearing his finish. He moved like the tide, nearly leaving her before reclaiming her fully. On and on, he ravaged her and she closed her eyes. She willed her slick inner muscles to tighten at the precise moment he’d re-bury himself. He pulled back just enough to gaze down at her and she mirrored him, coyly stealing a glimpse at the point of their union and smiled.

He returned her smile and tugged her close, nearly lifting her away from the telescope. The tell-tale twitch of his hardness announced he was close. His heart hammered in his chest and as his hips seized, he emptied into her.

Now.

She dug her nails in, savagely enough to trigger the spring mechanism and fill his body with poison. He twitched inside her, flooding her with his heat and blood oozed down his back.

He gasped against her, his climax fading as she raked his back. She watched him intently and waited. His eyes widened and he gazed down at her with realization. He blinked several times in succession as if struggling to clear his vision. His body tremored involuntarily and his words slurred together. “W-what have you d-done?”

She stared at him and said nothing.

He gritted his teeth and clamped his hands around her neck and squeezed. She grabbed his wrists and summoned the Force. Lightning lanced up his arms and he crumbled to his knees.

“You’re—you’re just like him…” he croaked before collapsing onto his side. A wave of purple-black energy rushed out of him, the gust enough to rustle her hair. She leapt away from the telescope and knelt next to his body. Three fingers against his throat indicated the synox had done its job. Her insides quaked uncontrollably, the sensation spreading down her legs to her knees.

She stood nude against a backdrop of stars, the twin moons, silent witnesses to her crime. A rivulet of his seed snaked down her leg and she threw up.

After she finished retching, she ran the back of her hand over her lips and dressed. She knelt to take his lightsaber and looked into his twisted, discoloured visage one last time. The gold in his eyes had faded to a dull icy blue and a thin string of bloody spittle leaked from the corner of his ashen mouth and she knew she would never forget this moment.

((to be continued…))

A/N:

The moon names are ‘Luna-lore’, as I couldn’t find actual names for the Zakuulan moons.

Edited by Lunafox

Hell, where do I even begin with this?

First of, the scene you painted and described, every word of it was absolutely beautiful. It sucked me right into the surroundings and really set the tone for everything that was to transpire.

I really enjoyed her conversation with Arcann, the subtle body language, the way you showed us how Darmas had instructed her on playing the game and laying the groundwork for the seduction of a century. In all honesty, I even found myself feeling just a little bad for him, he had a show of vulnerability throughout their interaction that was really touching.

Once Nox entered the scene I worried a little her plan would fall apart but thankfully, she played along well and got the little hints Liatrix conveyed. She played her part masterfully and I enjoyed the 'boggart' trick--it showed Arcann what he needed to believe.

Then, holy hell. I cannot believe she actually went through with it or went so far. I'd imagined her to seduce him and use those special claw-needles to off him before ever actually, you know. I'd also worried Scourge would somehow enter the scene but damn... that was, hot, intense, sexy and well, deadly all at once. Especially near the end where you describe his seed trickling down her thigh and her throwing up, that was really Midas' touch upon the whole piece.

I'm relieved he's dead--I hadn't expected it this soon, I kept waiting for the plan to fall apart but I am glad it didn't. Now there is the aftermath though. I can't see Vaylin caring much but good luck to Liatrix announcing she uhm, "canoodled" Arcann to death... I imagine certain people won't be thrilled even if they are grateful he's gone.

PS: Loved the Luna-lore. The names did not ring familiar, and I had dug into Zakuul before so I would have recognized it otherwise but I love your choices, well done.

Absolutely wonderful job, I eagerly await more!

Edited by JennyFlynn

Ummm........Wow!?

That was intense! I didn't expect that Lia would go that far.....in fact I really didn't think she would actually kill him. I'm rather a fan of the 'redeemed" Arcann so that was a little sad for me. She played her part well....I even believed it up until she sank her nails into his back.

How will Theron react to this I wonder? Next chapter, come quickly!

Payments due and the cost is high.

First, I want to say how beautifully you portrayed the landscape of Zakuul, poetic and lovely. That brief moment of exiting hyperspace where all is void must be a wonderful respite from what went before and what lies ahead. It's profound that she took note.

One could almost feel sorry for Arcann except that he made the choice to be the monster his father created instead of finding a better way. Their conversation was poignant and I appreciated the tidbits of training introduced by Darmas to enhance what she inherently possessed. Undergoing seduction training in the Empire was not wasted on him.

The interplay between Lia and Nox was delightful. The subtle messages and signs given, Nox's reaction to the sexual undertone of Arcann and Lia's words. Lovely visual of the ritual itself, employing Nox's ghosts to create the illusion of Valkorian's spirit being exorcised from Lia's body and the fact that each person in the room saw what they wanted or needed to see. I have the feeling that Valky isn't truly gone, but perhaps subdued or masked to lend credence to the subterfuge. Perhaps Tulak Hord played a part in all that, or perhaps he was just what Lia needed to see in that moment.

The aftermath of Lia's encounter was brief but striking and I have the feeling that dark times may lie ahead for her and Theron. She has made a great sacrifice in doing this and I'm not sure that everyone will see what it has cost her. And where you left off doesn't guarantee that Lia has a smooth getaway.

I was hoping that Scourge would show his face but doubt he is anywhere close to the spire or if he is, maybe he caught a glimpse from a distance. Guess we will have to wait on that one.

And, of course, the retribution by Vaylinn will come swift and sure. And I wonder what will become of Nox and Andronikus. I'm sure that whatever Vaylinn dreams up will be unpleasant, to put it mildly, unless they somehow escape which doesn't seem likely at this point.

Loved your moon names, it's quite fun to make up things to fit the context.

A wonderful addition to the story and I am forever anxious to see what happens next. Your imagination is a marvelous thing.

Hell, where do I even begin with this?

First of, the scene you painted and described, every word of it was absolutely beautiful. It sucked me right into the surroundings and really set the tone for everything that was to transpire.

I really enjoyed her conversation with Arcann, the subtle body language, the way you showed us how Darmas had instructed her on playing the game and laying the groundwork for the seduction of a century. In all honesty, I even found myself feeling just a little bad for him, he had a show of vulnerability throughout their interaction that was really touching.

Once Nox entered the scene I worried a little her plan would fall apart but thankfully, she played along well and got the little hints Liatrix conveyed. She played her part masterfully and I enjoyed the 'boggart' trick--it showed Arcann what he needed to believe.

Then, holy hell. I cannot believe she actually went through with it or went so far. I'd imagined her to seduce him and use those special claw-needles to off him before ever actually, you know. I'd also worried Scourge would somehow enter the scene but damn... that was, hot, intense, sexy and well, deadly all at once. Especially near the end where you describe his seed trickling down her thigh and her throwing up, that was really Midas' touch upon the whole piece.

I'm relieved he's dead--I hadn't expected it this soon, I kept waiting for the plan to fall apart but I am glad it didn't. Now there is the aftermath though. I can't see Vaylin caring much but good luck to Liatrix announcing she uhm, "canoodled" Arcann to death... I imagine certain people won't be thrilled even if they are grateful he's gone.

PS: Loved the Luna-lore. The names did not ring familiar, and I had dug into Zakuul before so I would have recognized it otherwise but I love your choices, well done.

Absolutely wonderful job, I eagerly await more!

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it :D I really wanted to drive home the idea and imagery of deceptive beauty...or things that are lovely, but no less out to get you. I had fun imagining Darmas's seduction training, and entertained showing it, but then I thought, less is more, so I'm glad you thought it worked. I kind of felt sorry for Arcann too as I was writing the scene, and hoped that it might evoke some sympathy from the reader for him and maybe even a bit of empathy for Liatrix who took it upon herself to rid the galaxy of him.

Nox's part was the part that was giving me fits and starts for a while, because anyway I played it, if I was honest, it would end in her death and didn't want to kill her off...because if she took in Valkorion, I have no doubt Arcann would've killed her if she'd stayed conscious. This way he was adequately distracted and in a hurry to get to what he wanted to do, rather than focus on Nox...so I reckon he was planning on wasting or freezing her later. The 'boggart' trick was a neat bit I found in researching...there is a smoke demon that can be summoned, based on the summoning word, so that worked out to my advantage. The plan came dangerously close to being busted, but not by Nox. :D

I'm also glad the whole 'death by snu snu' came through all right and was hot, intense and sexxxy even if it was going to be fatal for one of the participants. :D I'm glad to have him dead and out of the way but even so, I wanted his death to be memorable. I don't foresee happy times ahead for Liatrix, things definitely just got a lot more complicated.

And thank you for noticing the last bit, that was actually my favorite, such a brief, simple thing and it made me quite happy. Thanks so much for reading and for the wonderful feedback. It's much appreciated. ^^

Ummm........Wow!?

That was intense! I didn't expect that Lia would go that far.....in fact I really didn't think she would actually kill him. I'm rather a fan of the 'redeemed" Arcann so that was a little sad for me. She played her part well....I even believed it up until she sank her nails into his back.

How will Theron react to this I wonder? Next chapter, come quickly!

Thanks! :D I'm glad it came off that way, I was hoping! In a way I didn't expect it either, but then she's also the sort that once her mind is made up, especially when it comes to a mission that she's going to go through with it, come hell or high water. I do think if she'd been forced to spend more time in his company, she might not have been able to kill him. As it was, it was pretty awful. I'm sorry that his death made you sad, but I like to think he went out with a bang! ;D He hee. I don't imagine things will be easy when she returns to Odessen, things are much more complicated than they were. Thanks so much for reading! And for the terrific comment. :)

Payments due and the cost is high.

First, I want to say how beautifully you portrayed the landscape of Zakuul, poetic and lovely. That brief moment of exiting hyperspace where all is void must be a wonderful respite from what went before and what lies ahead. It's profound that she took note.

One could almost feel sorry for Arcann except that he made the choice to be the monster his father created instead of finding a better way. Their conversation was poignant and I appreciated the tidbits of training introduced by Darmas to enhance what she inherently possessed. Undergoing seduction training in the Empire was not wasted on him.

The interplay between Lia and Nox was delightful. The subtle messages and signs given, Nox's reaction to the sexual undertone of Arcann and Lia's words. Lovely visual of the ritual itself, employing Nox's ghosts to create the illusion of Valkorian's spirit being exorcised from Lia's body and the fact that each person in the room saw what they wanted or needed to see. I have the feeling that Valky isn't truly gone, but perhaps subdued or masked to lend credence to the subterfuge. Perhaps Tulak Hord played a part in all that, or perhaps he was just what Lia needed to see in that moment.

The aftermath of Lia's encounter was brief but striking and I have the feeling that dark times may lie ahead for her and Theron. She has made a great sacrifice in doing this and I'm not sure that everyone will see what it has cost her. And where you left off doesn't guarantee that Lia has a smooth getaway.

I was hoping that Scourge would show his face but doubt he is anywhere close to the spire or if he is, maybe he caught a glimpse from a distance. Guess we will have to wait on that one.

And, of course, the retribution by Vaylinn will come swift and sure. And I wonder what will become of Nox and Andronikus. I'm sure that whatever Vaylinn dreams up will be unpleasant, to put it mildly, unless they somehow escape which doesn't seem likely at this point.

Loved your moon names, it's quite fun to make up things to fit the context.

A wonderful addition to the story and I am forever anxious to see what happens next. Your imagination is a marvelous thing.

Thanks :D I'm glad that came out well, If I had a dollar for every time I rewrote that section. It kept coming up too purple but I finally settled on this. I like to think that moment when you're just hanging there as you come out of hyperspace to be a really peaceful moment before you start drifting forward into the galaxy.

I'm glad the conversations worked, I was a little concerned about taking him too far from who he is, but then the game doesn't really give him a lot of depth, so I went with it. The bit with Darmas's advice and training was fun to do mentally, but I decided not to show all of it, at least not yet. We might get glimpses or a bit more info as we go. I have the feeling Darmas excelled like you say in that unit of his Agent training.

I absolutely agree, that there will be costs involved with the mission and I think things got that much more difficult for Liatrix. Like you say, not everyone is going to see what she did as having done the right thing. Not everyone is all 'the ends justify the means.'

It'll be interesting, I hope to see how Scourge was involved or what he saw. Vaylin will no doubt get an eyeful when she returns home looking for her dear brother.

I'm also happy that you liked the moon names and found them fitting. I guess I obsess a little bit about moons...I guess I'm like my Scourge in that way, or he's like me lol. Thank you so much for the meaningful feedback and for reading.

I appreciate all of the comments, insights, and impressions. Your readership means a lot to me, you guys. Thank you so much. <3

Edited by Lunafox

She caressed his cheek and his face sank into her palm and his eye closed. He reveled in her touch like a feral animal learning to trust. The simplicity of his affection weighed on her.

Think of the millions, dead because of him.

A reminder that no matter how horrifying a monster a human being becomes, in the end they are still human. Much as we might like to believe otherwise. If you watch footage of Adolf Hitler and his wife, the truth becomes apparent. We like to deny that mass murders and dictators are human, because it makes us feel more secure in ourselves. The unfortunate truth however, is that we are all capable of the same atrocities. We all have that same evil sleeping inside us. We are no better.

This is why I love your writing Luna. It inspires my thoughts and stirs my intellectual side (what little of it there is lol).

Also, I hope Lia is on the pill after that "conversation" with Arcann...

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

A reminder that no matter how horrifying a monster a human being becomes, in the end they are still human. Much as we might like to believe otherwise. If you watch footage of Adolf Hitler and his wife, the truth becomes apparent. We like to deny that mass murders and dictators are human, because it makes us feel more secure in ourselves. The unfortunate truth however, is that we are all capable of the same atrocities. We all have that same evil sleeping inside us. We are no better.

This is why I love your writing Luna. It inspires my thoughts and stirs my intellectual side (what little of it there is lol).

Also, I hope Lia is on the pill after that "conversation" with Arcann...

Thanks Mayhem :) I'm glad you find the story thought-provoking. I believe as you do, that even the worst of monsters have some humanity in them, somewhere, some shred, and I've always believed the most effective villains in a story do as well. I'm happy that I was able to get that across. Another point of interest, for as evil as Hitler was, apparently he was an animal lover and especially liked dogs, and owned dogs. I can agree that we all have varying levels of darkness within us, I suppose the only difference is how we choose to deal with it. Thank you for the lovely comment and for reading...and yes, Lia was protected from that sort of consequence. Perhaps, I'll make reference to that in the next part because you weren't the only one that wondered lol. :)

Hi :)

Just a brief note to apologize, between things cutting in on my writing time in real life this week and the business going on in the forums about the game, I'm looking at a slight delay with my weekly chapter posting.

I reckon Chapter 24 will be posted most likely tomorrow night. If things go well it could be somewhat sooner. I appreciate your patience and readership. Thanks. ^^

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Twenty-Four

Theron stormed into the war room clenching his data pad hard enough to turn his knuckles white.

Lana closed the distance between them and fell in at his side. “It appears the Commander has gone to face Arcann alone. Were you able to learn anything further?”

“You could say that,” he sneered. “Here.” He thrust the datapad into her hands and stalked over to his com station.

“What is it?” Lana asked, jogging to catch up to him.

“A recording I pulled off ID-V8,” he barked over his shoulder. “Just tell me one thing Lana, why didn’t you say anything? Hell, why didn’t Jonas?”

“About what? I have no idea what you’re talking about, Theron.”

“Pollaran is your father-in-law. I think that might’ve been useful to know. Why’d you keep it from me?”

Lana’s eyes grew wide. “He’s what?”

“You heard me. Don’t tell me background checks are beneath you.”

“I-I didn’t know. I swear this is the first I hear of it. Jonas never talks about his family—ever.”

Theron eyed her warily. “You really didn’t know?”

Lana shook her head. “No, and I have no idea why Jonas wouldn’t have mentioned it. Maybe he doesn’t know either.”

“Oh, he knows all right. Just listen to it.”

“I can see you’re upset, Theron.”

“Damn right I’m upset.” He ran his hand through his hair and snorted. “Upset doesn’t even begin to cover it.”

Lana downloaded the recording into the holo display terminal. “Initiate playback with date and time stamp.”

The holographic images of Liatrix and Darmas sprouted over the holo display. “What would he want with the Commander at that hour?”

“He decrypted Arcann’s threat into a more personal message. Using his algorithms I got the same result.”

“You’re certain it’s not a coincidence?”

“Does that sound like a coincidence to you? It’s more than a bit obvious—I knew he was up to something,” Theron growled.

“Arcann or Darmas?”

“Both—but wait for it,” he said holding up his index finger, “the best part’s coming up.”

They huddled over the display and Theron glanced back at the door to ensure they were still alone.

“I had no idea she harbored such mistrust toward our Zakuulan allies.”

“Lia has a good poker face,” Theron sighed. “Too good, sometimes. But you know what gets me? She’s confiding in him—and you and I both know trust does not come easily to her.”

“I’ve been working with him for some time, he’s a valuable asset. He checks out.”

“Oh yeah?” Theron snorted. “Don’t be so sure. He all but suggested you’re working for the other side. Listen.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Lana huffed and fell quiet. She paused the playback and frowned. “I recruited Senya and Koth because we needed insight into the Zakuulan military.”

“You don’t have to tell me,” Theron grunted. “There’s more and you’re not gonna like it. I know I sure as hell don’t.”

“Resume playback.” Lana screwed up her face. “She’s completely lost her mind. Confronting Arcann alone and unarmed—what was she thinking?”

“Not quite unarmed.” He nodded at the holo.

“I can’t believe what I’m hearing—synox injectors?” Lana shook her head incredulously.

“Back in the SIS, we called them ‘covert lethal application ware’ or claws for short—not something we’d typically resort to—they were considered unethical.”

“I’ve heard of them, but I never actually thought—”

“—That they were real? Spies don’t just make this stuff up, Lana. Especially the ones on your side.”

Lana ignored the barb against the Empire. “And what does he mean by ‘enjoying an elevated heart rate?’ Surely he’s not suggesting she—”

Theron sank into the chair at the station and pressed his palm against his forehead. “That’s exactly what he’s suggesting—adrenaline dilates the blood vessels and elevates the heart rate, which would hasten the delivery of the synox. The faster it kills, the less time the target has to retaliate. I can’t believe she agreed to it!”

“And that can only be achieved through seduction,” Lana whispered. “I can’t believe she’d agree—even if it is to assassinate him.” She squinted at the holo. “What’s he doing now?”

“Inserting a contraceptive chip in her arm,” he muttered. “She didn’t have to do this—we could’ve found another way.”

“Senya can’t know,” Lana whispered under her breath. “Not until we have this resolved.”

Theron shot out of his chair and clamped his hands over his hips. “Seriously? That’s your take away in all this?”

“I’m sorry, Theron. I know this is difficult for you, but we have the Alliance to consider.”

“Shut it off,” he grunted.

“Why?”

“I said, shut it off. The last thing I need right now is to see the woman I love rehearsing seduction techniques with your father-in-law. Once was more than enough, thanks.” The chair screeched as he kicked it aside.

“If it’s any comfort, she did this for the good of the galaxy.”

“It’s not.” He leaned heavily on his arms and glared at the darkened holo display. “Did she even think about what this would do to us? And what if it goes south? She could be killed. What the hell was she thinking?” Theron slapped the console and retreated from it as if it were suddenly red hot.

Lana blanched at the tear-filled glare burning in his eyes. “She’ll be all right, Theron. I truly believe that. The Commander is nothing if not dedicated.”

“Where the hell is Pollaran anyway?” he spat.

As though on cue, Darmas sauntered into the war room, Jonas drifting in behind him.

“Why, I’m right here, Agent Shan. So that’s why my ears are burning,” Darmas drawled.

“As if you didn’t know. You sonuva…” Theron vaulted over the map display table and launched himself at Darmas. He cranked his right fist back, aiming for the blond man’s face.

Darmas brought his forearm up to block the incoming blow and pivoted to strike Theron’s throat with the purlicue of his hand.

Theron gasped and shook off the choking blow. He swung again this time with his left arm. Darmas ducked and landed both fists against Theron’s midsection, sending him reeling.

Jonas trapped Darmas’s arms and wrenched them behind his back. “Enough!” Jonas growled.

Theron recovered well enough to sock Darmas in the gut while he was restrained, the blow hard enough to force the older man to double over and cough.

Lana hauled Theron out of the way and blocked his path. “Stop it, that’s enough! Both of you.”

Darmas tugged free of Jonas’s hold and straightened his disheveled navy-blue suit. He dabbed the swell of his lower lip where he’d bitten himself during the scuffle. “So, you’ve heard about the Commander’s plans,” he managed between breaths. “Did she log our meeting, or were you spying on her?”

Theron jabbed a finger in his face. “I’ll only say this once, Pollaran. If anything happens to her because of you, I’ll kill you myself.”

Darmas arched a well-manicured brow. “Is that so, Agent? Need I remind you war is a filthy affair—something the Commander seems to understand and unlike you, she isn’t afraid to get dirty. It’s the only way you’ll win.”

Lana looked between them. “Being at each other’s throats will only aggravate the situation further. All we can do now is wait—and hope this insane plot you’ve devised works.”

Jonas frowned. “Just for the record—I did not want him here.”

“You should’ve told me the truth,” Lana said. “I’m your wife.”

Darmas smirked. “Well said, my dear—”

Lana whirled on him. “Let me make this plain to you. I am not your ‘dear’. I am the Commander’s advisor and spymaster—and your interference has not only jeopardized her life but the well-being of the Alliance as well. If we’re to succeed, we must work together—sowing discord and mistrust serves no one.”

“My apologies, if I’ve offended or over-stepped, that was never my intention,” Darmas said, bowing slightly. “But if I may be so bold as to enquire—what precisely has your Alliance accomplished since its inception?”

“We’ve liberated worlds all across the galaxy, engaged the enemy in battle, saved lives and sent relief to afflicted populations—as much as we’re able. The Alliance grows each day, as news of our success spreads,” Lana said.

“All very admirable indeed, but if the commander succeeds in assassinating Arcann, she’ll have accomplished more in one day, than your entire Alliance has in…almost two years is it?”

“We don’t gamble with lives here,” Jonas grunted. “Everyone matters.”

“Some more than others m’boy, but that decision was never yours. The Commander could’ve refused, but clearly, she alone saw merit in the plan. Her life is her own.”

“That’s enough.” Theron’s eyes flashed. “Get him out of my sight.” His hands balled into fists as he edged closer to his target.

Lana glanced between them and fixed on Darmas. “I think it would be best if you return to your quarters for the time being. We will keep you apprised of the situation, but you must understand we can’t afford such risks in the future.”

“As you wish,” Darmas conceded. “You know where to find me.” A slow smile spread across his lips as he walked away.

Theron glared at Jonas. “What—the—hell? How many years have we known each other? After all my griping about Jace and Satele and this just happened to slip your mind?”

Jonas shrugged and spread his hands. “He left my mom with a parting gift before he ditched her. I’d never even met him until my twelfth birthday. We don’t speak unless the work demands it. I didn’t see the point in bringing it up.”

“You should’ve told me,” Lana said.

“What difference would it have made?”

“It could’ve made all the difference in the world.”

“Somehow—I doubt that.” Jonas clacked his tongue as he favored her with a sarcastic wink.

Theron hung his head and rubbed at the nape of his neck as if he were trying to erase himself.

Lana sighed. “I don’t care to argue. I’ll be at my station—if you hear anything further.”

Once she was out of earshot, Jonas clapped Theron’s shoulder. “Sorry ‘bout that. Guess I’ll monitor subspace, see what I can pick up. Sit tight—it’ll work out.” After a final squeeze to Theron’s shoulder, Jonas sauntered out of the war room.

Theron ran his hands through his hair and locked his fingers behind his head. He winced at the new bruises forming over his ribcage. “Yeah.”

Liatrix killed the first Zakuulan knight she encountered and claimed her victim’s lightsaber as an offhand and donned her armor. The golden shell allowed her to pass unchallenged as she migrated from spire to spire. The mask pinched and the icy blue H.U.D projected inside the visor was uncomfortably bright.

She moved with the perfunctory efficiency of a machine on autopilot, unmoved by the outrageous decadence of Zakuulan society or their casual disregard for the outcast.

The glass lift dropped into the bowels of the command spire where the prison level was located. Bright, sterile halls twisted in on themselves like a labyrinth. The agonized shrieks of a man driven beyond his tolerance spiked from the heart of the prison.

Force fields as clear as glass fronted each occupied cell, and to Liatrix’s surprise, most were empty, making her search easier. In the last cell, in a row of nine others, a heap of midnight green star silk caught her attention. Nox’s body lay coiled on the floor. Her chest rose and fell with the sluggish rhythm of a hibernating animal.

Liatrix touched her ally with the Force, but wherever Nox’s state had carried her, she felt small and far away. She would not wake anytime soon and moving her alone would summon unwanted interference. Nox’s pilot could help if he was still alive.

Her focus gravitated toward the source of the profanity-laden shrieks. Mindlessly she continued to the interrogation suites and paused outside the chamber. The man inside had been stripped to the waist and shackled to an interrogation rack.

Sweat coated the muscled ladder defining his abdomen and a detailed tattoo of a raptoran bursting out of a red star bridged his pecs.

The right side of his face was marred by what first appeared to be scars, but were actually jagged bolts the colour of dried blood. Though she had only seen him once at a distance, the man on the rack resembled the owner of the Sky Princess II.

The torture droid hovered closer to the rack after refilling on pain gel, icy droplets bubbling from the tips of its gangly claws.

Liatrix glared at the droid and wrenched her hand into a fist. The golden sphere collapsed, its crinkled remains clattering to the floor like an empty ale can.

“Are you Andronikos Revel—Captain of the SkyPrincess II?”

His eyes narrowed into slits, the dark blue eyes suddenly sharp. “So what if I am?” he grunted. “Who the hell are you?”

“The Outlander. I’m here to rescue you and Nox.”

“Huh. You’ve gotta be farkin’ kidding me.”

Liatrix waved her hand with a subtle flourish. The thick electrified restraints trapping his wrists and ankles snapped open and fell asunder. “Can you manage? I need help with her—she’s unconscious and she won’t wake.”

“Don’t gotta tell me twice.” Andronikos hauled himself off the rack. “I’m up,” he growled. “You do your part, I’ll do mine. Where is she?”

“This way. But first, put out your arms.” Liatrix snatched a pair of stun cuffs off one of the metal trays and laid them over his wrists without fastening them.

“My blaster’s over there,” he barked, nodding at the counter.

Liatrix summoned the pistol to hand and hooked the muzzle under his waistband over the small of his back. “Let’s go.”

She kept him close to help conceal the weapon tucked inside his trousers. The cell block had grown silent, save for the whirr of fans and the buzz of electricity powering the section. A knight stepped off the lift and cocked his head as he approached.

“Where are you taking prisoner Oh-three-seven-one-two?”

“Throne room. Emperor Arcann wants to interrogate him personally,” Liatrix grunted.

“When you’re finished, join the investigation unit at the seventh spire—there’s been an unauthorized landing outside the observatory.”

“Understood,” Liatrix barked.

The knight started toward the prison’s administration offices. No sooner had he turned his back, Liatrix ran him through with Arcann’s lightsaber. “Strip him—this place is gonna be swarming in a minute.”

“Lemme guess—you’re the bad parking job,” he said, crouching to undress the knight.

“Yeah.”

Andronikos strapped on the armor as if were second nature to him and dragged the dead knight into a nearby mechanical room. An abrupt discharge from his blaster fused the locking mechanism on the door. “Sure hope you got a plan for getting us off this rock.”

“I did—now we get to make it up as we go along. C’mon.”

At Nox’s cell, Liatrix eyed the force field controls. “We don’t have time to slice this.”

“All ready on it.” Andronikos aimed his pistol at the power generator and fired. Sparks rained from the damaged unit and the force fields sealing the cells fizzled and vanished. Andronikos charged inside and dropped to one knee next to Nox.

“Crazy Sith—the hell they do to ya?” He grumbled as he hefted her against him.

Liatrix kept watch. “I’ll explain later. We really need to go.”

The few prisoners on the block bolted from their cells and scattered like nerfs escaping slaughter.

An emergency klaxon blared through the block and the lights dimmed and pulsed red.

Andronikos swore and nudged Liatrix. “This way—I’ve spent enough time in jails to know the best way out is through the sewers.

“Lead the way.” She drew the lightsabers she’d stolen but didn’t ignite them.

He draped Nox over his left shoulder and drew his pistol with his free hand. They crept along the halls, dividing their escape between jogging to make time and ducking into alcoves and against equipment to avoid being seen.

A pair of skytroopers rounded the corridor and fired. Liatrix batted their bolts aside with Arcann's weapon and Andronikos dropped them with a few well-placed plasma bolts.

“You’ve done this before,” Liatrix hissed as they navigated the cell block.

“Heh. So’ave you,” he grunted.

They cut through the maintenance department and ducked into a service hall. An unarmed man in coveralls emerged from the fresher and yelped. Andronikos jabbed him in the nose and bashed his cheek with his pistol’s slide. The civilian dropped, blood gushing from his nose.

Andronikos stepped over the body. “There’s an access hatch over there,” he barked over his shoulder.

“Got it.” Liatrix reached out with the Force and pried the circular hatch open.

“Sorry sweetheart, you’re not gonna like this,” he grunted against Nox’s shoulder and hauled her into the duct.

Liatrix followed and slammed the access port shut behind them. Half-crouched they loped toward the light at the end of the massive duct each footfall splashing through a never-ending line of filthy puddles. “Still need a ship.”

“We can hotwire one, once we’re clear.”

A mischief of womprats gnawing on a banquet of pasty flesh squeaked and scattered as they dashed through. The alpha rat sat up on its haunches and hissed through its jagged teeth.

“Looks like we’re makin’ friends wherever we go, huh?” he teased and ducked into the tunnel leading into the storm sewer.

Andronikos’s gait petered out and his jaw dropped. “What in blazes—I don’t believe it!” He ambled closer to the ship and spun around to face Liatrix. “Think if I wished for a million credits right now, I’d get it?”

“That’s your ship…”

“Yeah, how’d you know?”

“I was the one that borrowed it from you back on Asylum.”

“That was you?”

“Yeah…sorry,” she hissed and crept forward.

“But how the hell did she get here?”

The boarding ramp descended and the interior hatch hissed open.

“I think we’re about to find out,” Liatrix said, suddenly disquieted.

A golden armored Knight Captain descended the ramp to block access. He shook the glaive in his hand, the weapon snapping to its full length and humming to life with an icy blue light. The gold shield denoting his rank hung off his left forearm and Liatrix remembered the Knight Captain from the observatory.

Andronikos fired a volley of bolts at the warrior.

The Knight Captain deftly spun the glaive in response. A blur of icy light deflected the blaster bolts and the soldier came to a stop at the base of the ramp.

Liatrix ignited Arcann’s lightsaber and eyed the Zakuulan knight warily. His attention shifted to the weapon in her hand.

An endless second passed between them. The Knight Captain discarded his shield and pried off the tho.rny helmet covering his head and lobbed it toward them.

The helmet rolled and stopped at Liatrix’s feet like a decapitated head.

“Scourge…” she whispered and pulled off her helm in response.

A diagonal scar cut across his left eye and another spanned the width of his chin. His gaze hardened and his lips twisted into a cruel line. “I see you’ve moved on,” he sneered.

“I see you haven’t,” she retorted.

“Look, I dunno what kind of messed up reunions you Sith have, but in case you’ve forgotten, we need to get the hell outta here,” Andronikos growled.

“He’s right,” Liatrix clipped and pushed past Scourge to board the ship. He pivoted on his heel and followed her inside.

Andronikos gave his head a shake and went inside. “Torture rack’s startin’ to look pretty good right now,” he muttered.

((to be continued…))

A/N:

I will be waiting and eagerly anticipating--take your time, I know it's been a crazy week and you had a busy night. And life, it has a way of throwing a wrench in at times. I look forward to the next part though! :)

Not to worry, I know this week has been trying in many ways. And life does have a way of messing up the best-made plans. I will be eagerly awaiting your next chapter.

Don't know what I'd do without you both! Your support means a lot to me. *huggles you both up*

Edited by Lunafox

The moment I've been waiting for!

My heart goes out to Theron and it's only natural he's infuriated, hurt and worried beyond belief. It must hurt Liatrix didn't trust him with this, that she appears to gobble up what Darmas is feeding her while keeping secrets from those who've supported her longest and who she's closest to. Then again in sensitive and fragile scenarios as this one, some times it's easier to trust and lean on a 'stranger' than the people you love.

Lana proved to be a right bimbo, no offense. Former Minister of Intelligence who's been working with Darmas for some time by her own admission, who sent Jonas to recruit him, FAILED to discover their family relations? Just goes to prove her promotion on Yavin rode the coattails of Theron's hard work during Revan lol. (We all know I'm biased about Lana:p)

I did feel a bit bad for Jonas and I hope he was aware of the plan already because he just walked in there and basically hell broke loose with everyone around him bickering and throwing punches. Poor guy.

I enjoyed the little fight that broke out between Darmas and Theron though it felt Darmas got more licks in than Theron did. Which is fine but it makes me pouty because obviously, I was rooting for Theron. Ah well, with Darmas I'm sure there'll be another occasion for Theron to bruise him up good.

I enjoyed the rescue of Nikki and Nox very much and, FINALLY! Stars when they suggested going via the sewers, my mind instantly went "Scourge!" but then I got anxious worrying they'd somehow completely miss each other because wouldn't that be just typical? But thankfully no, at last they're reunited though it looks to be a cold one and at first I didn't understand why Scourge would make the 'moved on' comment but then I read again and noticed--he was one of the Knights present for the 'exorcism' of Valkorion with Nox and Arcann? If so, yikes, he can't have liked what he saw even if he missed the main show. Or did he? Gah!

In any case, that was thrilling and exciting. I really feel so bad for Theron and while their reunion's cold as ice, I'm stoked about Scourge finally 'entering the fold'. Some brilliant writing as always, an exciting addition and spiffy dialogue, I enjoyed every second of it!

Even more so looking forward to the next chapter now! :D

Hoo boy,

Poor Theron, the guy just can't catch a break and now to be bombarded by truths he really didn't want to see let alone the images that must be playing in his mind. You did capture his anger mixed with despair quite well. And the worst part is, he's helpless in all this, not a place spy-boy finds comfortable. The sad thing is, he deals in secrets, Lia has secrets, hell, everyone does and when the truth does come around, it can be pretty merciless.

Fah, Lana, "I am the commander's advisor and spymaster" pfft, really? It damned sure wasn't her that uncovered all this or Darmas' relationship with Jonas, or, well, pretty much anything else. Hello, let me investigate the obvious now that the cat is out of the bag. Not a fan, as if I wasn't clear. Although, she seems to be the only one who understands that Lia did this for the greater good, but I doubt Lana can fathom the pain to follow. Big picture, no detail, and that's why she sucks at being a spy.

Enjoyed the dustup between Darmas and Theron, but not happy that Theron took a bit of a trouncing. :( I'm sure this won't be the last of their encounters, because as slick as Darmas is, I think Theron is going to be paying very close attention from now on. And the little 'slow smile' bodes more Pollaran shenanigans in the future.

And Jonas, rather got blind-sided. Surely he had no idea about the plan, I'd think he'd have raised a bit of a stink if he had. I had to give him kudos for grabbing Daddy instead of Theron though. His heart's in the right place even if his brain doesn't always engage. More secrets.

The escape with Nox was superb, and you wrote Nikki perfectly. His droll sense of humor, taking everything in stride, hell, he'll likely spit in death's eye and make a witty remark when it finally comes for him. Things don't look good for Nox at the moment, and I wonder if something in her is shattered. Or she could be playing possum, with Nox, who can tell.

FINALLY. Scourge enters the arena, frigid reunion or not. And, things just got a hell of a lot more complicated with his return. He must have gotten an eye full, given his greeting, but, gods, he's lost so much and now this. Hard times around for all of them I think.

Final observation: Nobody seems to consider or even care of what this sacrifice has cost Lia. Her love, her pride, her dignity, she set them all aside because this was something she had to do. In that, I have to agree with Darmas, war is a dirty business and few if any walk away with clean hands. If anyone should understand, it should be Scourge, but that remains to be seen and I have the feeling that Arcann will be the third person in the bed for a long while.

Truly marvelous chapter, stellar dialogue and quite profound.

Can't wait to see where this goes next.

OMG!! :eek:

What a chapter!!! I am speechless at this one, I can't even begin to give a proper review like Jenny and Misha did but Geeze!!!! You totally blew me away!! And here I thought the last one did that already LOL. I feel just awful for -everyone- concerned, there's so much angst forthcoming from all of this it almost hurts to think about. But all the same I loved every single second of it!

I can't wait for the next chapter!!!!!!!

The moment I've been waiting for!

My heart goes out to Theron and it's only natural he's infuriated, hurt and worried beyond belief. It must hurt Liatrix didn't trust him with this, that she appears to gobble up what Darmas is feeding her while keeping secrets from those who've supported her longest and who she's closest to. Then again in sensitive and fragile scenarios as this one, some times it's easier to trust and lean on a 'stranger' than the people you love.

Lana proved to be a right bimbo, no offense. Former Minister of Intelligence who's been working with Darmas for some time by her own admission, who sent Jonas to recruit him, FAILED to discover their family relations? Just goes to prove her promotion on Yavin rode the coattails of Theron's hard work during Revan lol. (We all know I'm biased about Lana)

I did feel a bit bad for Jonas and I hope he was aware of the plan already because he just walked in there and basically hell broke loose with everyone around him bickering and throwing punches. Poor guy.

I enjoyed the little fight that broke out between Darmas and Theron though it felt Darmas got more licks in than Theron did. Which is fine but it makes me pouty because obviously, I was rooting for Theron. Ah well, with Darmas I'm sure there'll be another occasion for Theron to bruise him up good.

I enjoyed the rescue of Nikki and Nox very much and, FINALLY! Stars when they suggested going via the sewers, my mind instantly went "Scourge!" but then I got anxious worrying they'd somehow completely miss each other because wouldn't that be just typical? But thankfully no, at last they're reunited though it looks to be a cold one and at first I didn't understand why Scourge would make the 'moved on' comment but then I read again and noticed--he was one of the Knights present for the 'exorcism' of Valkorion with Nox and Arcann? If so, yikes, he can't have liked what he saw even if he missed the main show. Or did he? Gah!

In any case, that was thrilling and exciting. I really feel so bad for Theron and while their reunion's cold as ice, I'm stoked about Scourge finally 'entering the fold'. Some brilliant writing as always, an exciting addition and spiffy dialogue, I enjoyed every second of it!

Even more so looking forward to the next chapter now!

I feel bad for Theron too, but I think for her it was a matter of, it was necessary and had to be done quickly and in secret. If they'd discussed it as a committee, odds are it wouldn't have been done and the problem would still exist.

Liatrix isn't naive, she's not gobbling up everything Darmas is telling her, she's looking at him with a very wary eye. To the others it might appear so, because here is this new guy with a crazy plan and she went for it. She went for it, because it made sense to her as a military commander, it's not because she's suddenly trusting everyone.

Haha no offense taken whatsoever, you know I'm not a Lana fan. Still, I don't think I'm doing anything extraordinarily out of character with her. She just never struck me as the right person for the job, and I think she's proof that our beloved Marr is capable of poor judgment as much as anyone else. Cipher 9 should've been given that position if the world was fair, but I think even Marr had a certain degree of 'if you want it done right, it must be a force user/Sith' in charge,' and she just happened to fit the bill. I'm sure Marr though she would rise to the challenge, and I've no doubt that she works very hard, and tries to live up to expectations, but it's just not her forte. She's a shepherd, a coordinator, I'll give her that. She keeps people organized, but that doesn't necessarily make her a good spymaster or minister of intelligence.

I don't think Jonas knew the nitty gritty of the plan, but he's sharp enough to get that this is his father's M.O. He's conniving, slick, dangerous and charming--and he's already causing problems. So I think Jonas had an inkling like 'oh god, he's done something...w.t.f. did he do...' when he walked in on that mess.

Glad you liked the fisticuffs :D Darmas did get the upper hand this go around--a bit of a wake-up call that just because you have this older agent doesn't mean he's not on top of his game and then some. I don't see Theron as a bruiser/fighter sort, even though sometimes his temper gets the better of him. He's more formidable when he's calm and collected and if Darmas underestimates him he could have problems. If...Darmas isn't really the sort to underestimate people, except maybe his own son.

I'm also happy the rescue came across well, as I didn't want to spend oodles of time writing pointless fights with pointless minions, so I went for a more 'stealth' approach. I've been positioning the characters to find each other this way for a long time, so it feels a bit weird now, that I finally have it out. I also knew that Scourge was present, but I didn't want to mess up the surprise, so I had to stay a bit mum on that :D I'm glad Scourge is finally 'in the fold' it's been a long time coming. Thanks for reading and for the great comment. ^^

Hoo boy,

Poor Theron, the guy just can't catch a break and now to be bombarded by truths he really didn't want to see let alone the images that must be playing in his mind. You did capture his anger mixed with despair quite well. And the worst part is, he's helpless in all this, not a place spy-boy finds comfortable. The sad thing is, he deals in secrets, Lia has secrets, hell, everyone does and when the truth does come around, it can be pretty merciless.

Fah, Lana, "I am the commander's advisor and spymaster" pfft, really? It damned sure wasn't her that uncovered all this or Darmas' relationship with Jonas, or, well, pretty much anything else. Hello, let me investigate the obvious now that the cat is out of the bag. Not a fan, as if I wasn't clear. Although, she seems to be the only one who understands that Lia did this for the greater good, but I doubt Lana can fathom the pain to follow. Big picture, no detail, and that's why she sucks at being a spy.

Enjoyed the dustup between Darmas and Theron, but not happy that Theron took a bit of a trouncing. :( I'm sure this won't be the last of their encounters, because as slick as Darmas is, I think Theron is going to be paying very close attention from now on. And the little 'slow smile' bodes more Pollaran shenanigans in the future.

And Jonas, rather got blind-sided. Surely he had no idea about the plan, I'd think he'd have raised a bit of a stink if he had. I had to give him kudos for grabbing Daddy instead of Theron though. His heart's in the right place even if his brain doesn't always engage. More secrets.

The escape with Nox was superb, and you wrote Nikki perfectly. His droll sense of humor, taking everything in stride, hell, he'll likely spit in death's eye and make a witty remark when it finally comes for him. Things don't look good for Nox at the moment, and I wonder if something in her is shattered. Or she could be playing possum, with Nox, who can tell.

FINALLY. Scourge enters the arena, frigid reunion or not. And, things just got a hell of a lot more complicated with his return. He must have gotten an eye full, given his greeting, but, gods, he's lost so much and now this. Hard times around for all of them I think.

Final observation: Nobody seems to consider or even care of what this sacrifice has cost Lia. Her love, her pride, her dignity, she set them all aside because this was something she had to do. In that, I have to agree with Darmas, war is a dirty business and few if any walk away with clean hands. If anyone should understand, it should be Scourge, but that remains to be seen and I have the feeling that Arcann will be the third person in the bed for a long while.

Truly marvelous chapter, stellar dialogue and quite profound.

Can't wait to see where this goes next.

I'm glad that Theron's emotions and conflicts came out well. Doing realistic feelings can be a real challenge at times. I feel badly for him too. As you say, even though secrets are his trade, it still hurts when they're secrets that affect you.

I'm not a Lana fan either, and I never thought the choice to put her in charge of intelligence was the right one. Marr made a mistake there, owing to his need to have the new 'Sith Intelligence' run by an actual Sith. She was in the right place at the right time, but Cipher was the right person for the job and had Cipher had Force gifts, she probably would've been appointed. I see Lana as a coordinator, organizer, but intelligence is not her thing. All the clues in the game even suggest that she's not really up to the challenge even though she seems to try hard. Like, when she had Saresh's spy working for her on Ziost for example...that's just one instance of her poor judgment. Another would be how harried she always seems and pressured. You never saw Keeper freaking out like Lana does. Keeper kept it cool. Watcher 2 kept it cool...Lana...basket case, zomg I have so much to do...she either needs to delegate or step aside, intelligence is not for her. As you say though, she is one of the few people that get that Lia sacrificed and did what she did for the greater good, even if it was an unsavory business. At least on that, Lana and Darmas are in agreement, where I don't think the others would be.

I'm glad the fight came off well. As much as I love Theron, I didn't want him to have the upper hand in this scuffle. I think ultimately it's better for Theron that he lost this fight, because he'll know not to underestimate Darmas.

Jonas knows enough about his old man, that where he goes, trouble follows. Jonas is a good guy and a good friend, but like anyone has his secrets and hang ups and he's not inclined to parade them about. Theron is more open in this regard.

Darmas is very much an Imperial Agent...cool, tough, hard as nails yet charming. Except for one exceptions (Arden Kothe) I never saw the SIS as being as tough and cold as Imp Intell. I'd say that the Imperials are a lot more ruthless and unethical. The ends justify the means.

I'm glad you enjoyed the escape/rescue of Nikki and Nox. As I said to Jenny, I didn't want to spend a lot of time fighting pointess fights with faceless, meaningless enemies, so I thought being sneaky would work better. :D

Nikki is fun to write, I do enjoy his sense of humor as well. As for Nox...I don't think she's broken so much as...in a deep state of thought. She has a lot to process and I don't think she ever gave herself enough time to mourn Vowrawn properly and losing his remains was another blow. There are circumstances at play, that I hope will prove interesting in the fullness of time. :)

I agree with your assessment about Lia and how everyone is reacting...they don't know the cost because they've never had to do such a thing. I tried to show that she's already becoming 'automatic' to get through things, and that she lost something of herself because of the whole business with the 'exorcism' and the assassination. You're right on the money about Arcann being the 3rd body in the bed, I imagine he'll be a problem for quite a while.

Thanks for the marvelous comment and for reading. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback.

OMG!! :eek:

What a chapter!!! I am speechless at this one, I can't even begin to give a proper review like Jenny and Misha did but Geeze!!!! You totally blew me away!! And here I thought the last one did that already LOL. I feel just awful for -everyone- concerned, there's so much angst forthcoming from all of this it almost hurts to think about. But all the same I loved every single second of it!

I can't wait for the next chapter!!!!!!!

Thank you! Your reaction is marvelous and made my day. Just knowing that I was responsible for that excitement, gives me a lot of joy. I'm also pleased that you felt I outdid myself and that the momentum has grown even more so since the last chapter, which I was quite pleased with. In a way, I dreaded this one, because I knew a lot needed to happen, and I didn't want it to seem a let down from the one before because that chapter was really quite intense. I'm glad this installment kept building on that, and that it wasn't a let down in any way. I'm thrilled about your reaction and your feedback. Thank you so much! ^^

Edited by Lunafox

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Twenty-Five

Liatrix sat motionless in the co-pilot’s chair aboard the Sky Princess II, but no matter how still she sat, Arcann was there. He was in the crusty coating on her inner thighs and in the collar of bruises around her neck. He was a memory locked inside her most tender flesh and he was caked under the free edges of her nails.

Like an exposed nerve she was privy to everything from Nox’s measured breaths to Scourge’s disgust and loathing, but she most identified with the pirate’s desire to be just about anywhere else.

The ship rose above Zakuul’s thermosphere and into the inky depths of space.

“Where to Outlander?” Andronikos asked as he activated the star chart.

“Odessen,” Liatrix said. “I’ve already input the coordinates.”

“Hmm. Looks like we might’ve lucked out. Any change back there?” he barked over his shoulder.

“None,” Scourge replied. “The hypospray had no effect.”

The proximity alert chimed and Andronikos swore. “Guess I spoke too soon. Sensors indicate about a bazillion ships comin’ outta hyperspace—that can’t be good.”

“It’s not. Get us outta here,” Liatrix barked.

“We’re still within Zakuul’s gravity well and we have no shields.”

“Override the safety and punch it.”

Andronikos did a double-take. “That could rip the whole ship apart.”

“And you think the Eternal Fleet won’t? This way at least we have a chance. Trust me,” Liatrix said.

“It’s your funeral.” Andronikos shut down the safety measures and engaged the hyperdrive. “Hold on!”

The Sky Princess II lurched forward, the engines screaming through streaks of blazing stars. A helix of blue vapor coiled around the vessel and the controls vibrated. The hull rattled as though it were about to fly apart in a dozen directions at once and the instrument panel lit up in a blaze of red.

The lucky ash-rabbit foot Andronikos had hung from the overhead console when he purchased the ship broke free and tumbled under the instrument panel. “We’re not gonna last long like this…”

“It’ll be all right.”

Hmph. I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Liatrix closed her eyes. She pulled energy from the light and the dark and the porosity in between, building layer upon layer until even the tiniest molecule knew purpose. The Force gathered into shimmering threads, each one twining with the next until a mantle of protective energy cocooned the ship.

The vibrations subsided and the hazard lights winked out one by one. The tinny clatter gave way to the rhythmic drone of the engines. Through the Force came an awareness of star clusters and nebulae marking the path to the blue-green world of Odessen and though it was still hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, it shone brightly in her mind’s eye, its balanced energy summoning her ever closer.

Scourge narrowed his eyes and drifted toward the cockpit. Her Force signature had twisted into something unrecognizable over the years they were apart—all that he’d known was gone and the woman before him was a stranger wearing a familiar shell. He twisted his left tendril ring as he observed. The woman he loved was dead but he couldn’t deny there was something uniquely compelling about the unknown.

“Whatever Force mumbo-jumbo you’re pullin’ it’s working,” Andronikos said.

Liatrix gave no indication she’d heard him, instead, allowing the perfect maelstrom of light and dark to draw her into its center. She found solace there—a temporary reprieve from too much self-awareness. Her eyes snapped open and she gripped the armrests more tightly. “Bring us out of hyperdrive and engage the sub lights—now.”

The Sky Princess II stuttered out of hyperspace and after a fleeting moment of peaceful suspension, the craft drifted toward Odessen.

Liatrix cupped her forehead. Her face was hot, but her fingers were a cool balm against the heat.

“Hey…you a’right? You look a little pale.” Andronikos nudged her.

“I’m fine—transmitting landing codes now. Take us down.”

“Sure thing.”

The Sky Princess II settled on the central platform leading into the saucer-section of the base and Andronikos lowered the boarding ramp.

Liatrix summoned a medical team to collect Nox and moved past Scourge without a word. He caught her elbow. “What were you thinking?”

She tugged her arm free. “I had a job to do and I did it.”

“How could you allow him to touch you—I can smell him on you.”

“I can still feel him too,” she snarled. “Now get out of my way.” She deplaned and stalked across the durasteel bridge and went inside where she was met by Lana, Jonas, and Theron.

Lana’s mouth tightened and her eyes grew stern. “You’re completely mad. What were you thinking going off alone without a word to anyone? You could’ve been killed.”

“Hey…go easy,” Jonas clasped Lana’s shoulder. “She’s hurt,” he said, nodding at the band of bruises around Liatrix’s throat.

“Apologies, Commander. I think I speak for all of us, when I say, I’m relieved that you’ve returned safely, but we were worried sick. We’ve been on tenterhooks ever since we discovered your plan. We’ve much to discuss—”

Theron hung back and said nothing.

“It can wait. Make sure our guests receive inoculations and assign quarters,” Liatrix said in a clipped tone.

Two orderlies guided Nox’s hover stretcher toward the infirmary and Scourge and Andronikos sauntered in behind them.

Lana gasped. “Lord Scourge? He’s alive? But how?”

“You can ask him yourself,” Liatrix said, turning to leave.

Wait—Arcann, is he? Is he dead?”

“Yes, dammit. Now leave me alone.” Liatrix retreated down the corridor before Lana could accost her again.

“We need to discuss this,” Lana called after her.

“No, we really don’t,” Liatrix retorted as she disappeared around the corner.

“Theron, perhaps you’d better check on her,” Lana suggested.

“No—she needs time—and so do I.”

Lana turned her attention to Jonas but before she could speak, he held up his hands to stop her. “Don’t look at me. I’ve got work to do.”

“That’s a first, I’ve actually driven you to—work,” Lana mumbled and found herself alone in the hall.

Inside her quarters, Liatrix stripped the armor she’d stolen and the flimsy garments she wore underneath. She set the refresher to the highest temperature setting she could withstand and stepped into the scorching fog. Streams of high powered water stung from all sides and she stood as still as a droid taking an oil dip.

The mission replayed in her mind. The assignment was over but there was no feeling of satisfaction or accomplishment or even relief.

Then there was Scourge. To learn he’d survived the Eternal Empire’s invasion should have filled her with joy and desire but instead of hope for the future, there was nothing at all.

The harder she tried to feel, the more it evaded her. Desperate for some sensation she scrubbed her body until it was raw and pink and when that wasn’t enough, she ripped the implants out from under her nails until her fingers bled. Water mixed with her blood, diffusing it into pinkish bands before it vanished entirely. She propped herself against the back wall of the refresher and stared at nothing.

Perhaps this was what it meant to lose feeling and she remembered the monster she saw during the ritual.

The laughing image of Tulak Hord troubled her. She had drawn on his darkness in that moment, something she swore she would never do. Is this how it began—with selfish reassurances of ‘just this once?’ How many times had her father relied on Hord’s power before it turned him irrevocably numb?

Each year brought her closer to what her father became and she feared what would happen if she lived long enough.

She cranked the refresher valve off and waited for the fan and heat lamp to dry her.

After she’d dressed she bundled the robes she wore on the mission and threw them into the pyre. The flames wriggled and crackled and she was unable to resist their allure. As the last vestiges of fabric crumbled, a figure appeared in the flames. The visions sharpened into a woman and Liatrix recognized Arcann’s sister, Vaylin.

She roared into the observatory with the grace of a rabid gundark. Her hands curled at her sides and the guards lining the bridge to Arcann’s body shriveled and collapsed as their own armor turned against them.

A ring of Scions surrounded Arcann’s remains with the red moon as a backdrop.

She knelt to draw back the sheet covering his body. “Which one of you undressed him?”

“His body has not been moved. This is how he fell to the Outlander.”

“And you let her escape!” Vaylin shrieked. “This shouldn’t have happened! This is your fault! You see the future, why didn’t you stop her? My brother is dead and you vultures circle his corpse!”

One of the aged Scions stepped forward, his hands clasped reverently. “His destiny was to fall. Every moment is predestined. We are but game pieces to the fates.”

“And what about my destiny, Marka?” Vaylin snarled at the elder. “If my brother’s was to fall, surely I am destined to put an end to this Outlander and rule the galaxy?”

“Death has found the Eternal Empire and death comes for you.”

“Lies! Arcann was right to hate you. You allowed him to die! Now you’ll pay with your lives!”

“All we have foreseen has come to pass,” Marka murmured and closed his eyes.

A great trunk of lightning arrived at Vaylin’s summons and branched into seven lesser bolts—one for each Scion.

Their bodies wriggled as her power jolted through them, and as they stood together in life, they crumbled in death to form a charred aura around Arcann’s body.

Vaylin screeched until her lungs and throat cracked and when she couldn’t scream anymore, she fell silent. She peered into Arcann’s face for a long time before leaving the observatory.

The vision in the fire lingered and Liatrix almost looked away, but something compelled her to keep watching.

The observatory faded and became the Zakuulan throne room. An inky specter sprouted through the floor to stand behind the Eternal Throne. Its fingers crept over the backrest until its entire body bled through to occupy the throne. Though the specter had no eyes that she could see, it glared at her across the plane where visions and reality collided.

She frowned at the faceless enemy. “Who are you?” she whispered.

The answer came as intimately as if it had been whispered in her ear. “Judgment.”

The flames roared into a blaze and just as quickly, faded to embers. Her holocom went off and she flinched at the sudden noise. Lana’s image blinked over the unit. “Pardon the intrusion, Commander, but this can’t wait. You’re needed in the war room at once.”

“What’s happened?”

“I’d prefer to discuss it in person, Lana out.”

The blonde’s image vanished and Liatrix swore. She clasped her forehead and paced like a jagalor trapped in a tiny cage until her gaze fixed on her mother’s holo portrait. Her brows furrowed. “How do I get through this?” she whispered.

No answer came and Liatrix glared at her reflection in the mirror over her dressing table. She smoothed her hands over her leathers and lifted her chin. “Let’s get this over with,” she muttered, arming herself with Arcann’s weapon.

Crowds of personnel buzzed in and out of the war room. Theron and Jonas huddled over transmissions they’d pulled from the holonet, Koth stood in the opposite corner arguing with a trio of alliance techs and Tora, the blue-haired woman he counted on to assist him.

Darmas stood in the thick of it with Quinn and Scourge observed from the corner. Lana excused herself from the huddle of agents she was with and approached Liatrix.

“There you are,” she said breathlessly. “It’s a madhouse here. I’d hoped to spare you from it given your ordeal, but I’m afraid that’s impossible.”

“Do you want to tell me what’s going on here?”

“We’re receiving reports from all over—Vaylin is carving a path of destruction across the galaxy and she’s heading for the Core Worlds. The death toll is in the millions.”

Liatrix frowned. “Secure a channel and get me someone from the Republic—the Supreme Chancellor if you can manage it. Tell him it’s a priority message from the Outlander.”

“Very well.” Lana nodded and dashed to the console to make the call.

Liatrix locked eyes with Theron while she waited, but his expression remained impassive. She folded her arms and turned away, just as Lana made the connection. “Commander, I have a direct line to the Supreme Commander—Jace Malcolm.”

“Oh swell,” Liatrix grumbled. “Put him through.”

Theron drifted closer to the holocom and Jonas trailed behind him.

The Supreme Commander’s scarred visage appeared over the holo unit. “You?! You’re the Outlander?”

“Yes Malcolm, I am.”

“I have nothing to say to a Sith war criminal.”

“Fine. Just listen then. The Eternal Empire’s fleet is on its way to the Core Worlds. Every world they’ve encountered on their way has been annihilated—millions are dead. I would recommend you begin evacuations.”

Jace’s hands curled into meaty fists. “Let me get this straight—you provoked a hostile power by assassinating their leader and now we’re to pay the price? You’re a war criminal—and I will bring you to justice if it’s the last thing I do.”

“There are no innocents in war, Malcolm. You endangered your own grandson’s life, so your hands are just as filthy as mine. I’m not going to waste any more time arguing with you. Millions will die if you don’t evacuate. I didn’t have to do this. Engage them at your own peril, Liatrix out.”

“Do you think he’ll listen?” Lana said in a low voice.

“I don’t know. Guess we’ll find out if his love for the Republic is more than his hatred toward me.”

Senya stormed into the war room and the room fell silent. “Outlander—you killed my son,” she accused, her voice wavering. “I sensed his final moments—for the first time since he was a boy I felt the good in him—how could you? How could you murder him in cold blood? And you carry his weapon as a trophy? You’re not the person I thought…I was wrong to put my faith in you.”

Liatrix lowered her gaze and approached Senya. “I know it hurts, and I’m sorry you’re suffering, but this was always the plan. I never made any secret of my intentions.” She unhooked Arcann’s lightsaber from her belt and laid the hilt across her palms. “You should be the one to have this.”

“You’re giving it to me?” Senya eyed the weapon and shook her head slowly before claiming it. “You killed him—and you knew how Vaylin would react and you didn’t care. Now the entire galaxy is suffering for it—millions are dead because of you.”

“I told you and the Scions both, that I would kill Arcann and Vaylin—that I was ending the Eternal Empire. You signed up for this, voluntarily,” Liatrix said, turning her back to Senya.

“She’s right,” Lana said softly. “You agreed to help us. You understood what it meant—unless you were…”

Senya ignited Arcann’s lightsaber and the amber gold weapon roared to life in her hands. Liatrix stiffened. Lana’s weapon sprang from its holster and soared into Liatrix’s extended hand. She reversed the grip and plunged the lightsaber backward into Senya’s gut before she could strike. Arcann's blade deactivated with a soft hiss.

“—Unless you were spying on us,” Liatrix hissed and whirled around.

Senya fell to her knees. “You could’ve redeemed him,” she managed before she collapsed.

Koth frowned. “What have you done? She wasn’t coming at you.”

Liatrix’s gaze shot from face to face, each one running the gamut from shock to indifference.

“From where I was standing, it appeared she was,” Darmas said.

“It looked that way to me too,” Jonas echoed.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this about Senya—but she did not deserve to go out like that,” Koth grunted and stalked out of the war room.

Liatrix stared at the dead woman at her feet and her mind flashed to Arcann and back again.

“For what it’s worth—if she had no intention of striking at you—why did she ignite the weapon?” Lana asked.

“I don’t know, I don’t have time to think about that now. Prepare the Gravestone for take-off—we’re stopping Vaylin.”

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Lana asked.

“Was it wise to recruit the mother of our targets?” Liatrix snapped. “We’ll talk more about that later.

“Theron—see if you can find out what makes the Gravestone’s weaponry unique—get schematics if you can…maybe Scorpio’s memory core has some answers. Whatever that ship has going for it, I want it for every ship we have. If we’re going to stop the Eternal Empire, we need to destroy their fleet. I want to end this, once and for all.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

That extremely descriptive first paragraph really made me cringe. I feel badly for her state of mind, but at the same time it's beyond me how she could have done such a thing to begin with. She has to be incredibly strong, but it doesn't seem at all that she is the same woman that began the story.

I thought the way she shielded the Sky Princess with both sides of the force to allow them to escape Zakuul was brilliant.

I can't imagine how Theron is going to react to all this, that is if things ever settle down long enough for him to think. And Scourge's first reaction was painful, but the one that came after is pretty interesting and I look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Vaylin's reaction to Arcann's death is indeed horrendous. I hope somehow she can be stopped.......

Looking forward to the next chapter!

I am glad I finally managed to catch up, this have been a few interesting hours :)

I am still trying to process everything that's happened.

The most prominent question for me remains Darmas' ulterior motive. So far he has done a marvelous job of isolating Lia.

She won't have gained much if by killing Arcann she's traded her hatred of him for hating herself. She'll need friends to get through this. I do hope she'll have some left and will be able to realize them as such after the dust settles.

Looking forward to find out what happens next.

Kudos! And thank you for sharing!

<3 <3 <3