The Sanctuary of Regret

Lunafox

Yay, a new chapter! Exciting! ♥

Out of all threats still hanging in the air--Vaylin, the remainder of the Eternal Fleet, Jadus, Valkorion, possibly Hord--Liatrix's current state is the thing that has me most concerned. She's noticing it now too, the absence of those very human emotions. It's not looking good.

I do think she's right in putting Jadus in her rearview mirror for now, he may just deal with a problem or two for her but someone should try and track his movements. You never know with that guy, would be smart to get a heads up.

Her conversation with Theron seemed most human. Not all sunshine and daisies but there were some warm moments and he had some good points. She seems to be walking a path others wanted her to walk, I remember Scourge's nickname for her but is that really what she wants, or who she wanted to be? There are still options but she needs to choose to take them, right now it doesn't seem she has the will to.

I loved this; “Maybe I believe in lost causes,” he murmured after her. -- Good on him, don't give up on her.

Mm, good. Nox needed to know, she has an Empire to reclaim. I wonder who she'll be looking for on Nar Shaddaa? An old crew member, perhaps? Curious.

Loved the chapter, I'm glad you posted and I look forward to the next. ♥

Changes, worries, and the universe spins...

For me the most telling line here is: She turned on her heel and left them behind, all the while suppressing the small panicked voice in her mind that screamed something was terribly wrong.

I'm not sure if Lia is consciously giving up or if something or someone else is at play here. She seems to be singularly honed in on the destruction of Valkorian's brood to the exclusion of all else, either as a buffer against facing her own inner turmoil or a scapegoat for what she may be capable of. Justification comes in many guises. Either way, this moves from the realm of change to the realm of loss and I do worry for Lia.

I still feel that Scourge, above all others, will understand, but when and if she moves beyond even his reach, the struggle may prove to be too much for her. She doesn't need mollycoddling or dreams of 'what if', or obedience as the commander, she needs cold hard truth, as cold as she's become and Scourge has been there, done that. I guess we will see.

So, Darmas has Jonas exactly where he wants him. These should prove to be interesting developments. And yes, Lana was never much of the 'spymaster' even in game, I never understood Marr's choice. Nine would have been much better, both in game and in your story. At least, Darmas wouldn't be able to twist Nine around, and I'm not sure Jonas has the best eyes to watch his father. (And let's not forget One is out there somewhere.)

I had a bit of a snicker at Nox: "It's morning if I say it's morning," she said petulantly and sat up, rubbing the grainy sleep from her eyes. "And unless you're here to feed me Krayt bacon and tell me 'I'm a bad girl' out with it." A standoff between Nox and Jadus, how wonderful. A mystery person on Nar Shaddaa, now who could that be?

Seems your week off was worth it. Nice chapter. Eagerly awaiting the next.

Yay, a new chapter! Exciting! ♥

Out of all threats still hanging in the air--Vaylin, the remainder of the Eternal Fleet, Jadus, Valkorion, possibly Hord--Liatrix's current state is the thing that has me most concerned. She's noticing it now too, the absence of those very human emotions. It's not looking good.

I do think she's right in putting Jadus in her rearview mirror for now, he may just deal with a problem or two for her but someone should try and track his movements. You never know with that guy, would be smart to get a heads up.

Her conversation with Theron seemed most human. Not all sunshine and daisies but there were some warm moments and he had some good points. She seems to be walking a path others wanted her to walk, I remember Scourge's nickname for her but is that really what she wants, or who she wanted to be? There are still options but she needs to choose to take them, right now it doesn't seem she has the will to.

I loved this; “Maybe I believe in lost causes,” he murmured after her. -- Good on him, don't give up on her.

Mm, good. Nox needed to know, she has an Empire to reclaim. I wonder who she'll be looking for on Nar Shaddaa? An old crew member, perhaps? Curious.

Loved the chapter, I'm glad you posted and I look forward to the next. ♥

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback, I do appreciate it very much. I think Liatrix knows that you have to pick your battles, and I don't think the Alliance has the resources to take on enemies from two fronts. Keeping an eye on Jadus is a smart thing and I think finding out what/who she's dealing with in him is too.

I'm so happy you liked that line Theron said, I was rather happy with that too, when he whispered it in my ear. :D

I think Lia has always been about pleasing people...I think deep down she just wants people to be happy and the jedi drove that home to her about living up to their expectations and when she started failing at doing that, it was a downward spiral. When she was younger it was exciting to be bad and try to be powerful but as she gets older she wishes she hadn't missed out on more normal things, she sees things very absolutely these days...she lives with the end in sight, but beyond that there's nothing...

As for who Nox is going to try and find on NS, well, there was a hint about that a little while ago, just have to see if she'll manage to pull it off. Thanks again for the lovely comment. <3

Changes, worries, and the universe spins...

For me the most telling line here is: She turned on her heel and left them behind, all the while suppressing the small panicked voice in her mind that screamed something was terribly wrong.

I'm not sure if Lia is consciously giving up or if something or someone else is at play here. She seems to be singularly honed in on the destruction of Valkorian's brood to the exclusion of all else, either as a buffer against facing her own inner turmoil or a scapegoat for what she may be capable of. Justification comes in many guises. Either way, this moves from the realm of change to the realm of loss and I do worry for Lia.

I still feel that Scourge, above all others, will understand, but when and if she moves beyond even his reach, the struggle may prove to be too much for her. She doesn't need mollycoddling or dreams of 'what if', or obedience as the commander, she needs cold hard truth, as cold as she's become and Scourge has been there, done that. I guess we will see.

So, Darmas has Jonas exactly where he wants him. These should prove to be interesting developments. And yes, Lana was never much of the 'spymaster' even in game, I never understood Marr's choice. Nine would have been much better, both in game and in your story. At least, Darmas wouldn't be able to twist Nine around, and I'm not sure Jonas has the best eyes to watch his father. (And let's not forget One is out there somewhere.)

I had a bit of a snicker at Nox: "It's morning if I say it's morning," she said petulantly and sat up, rubbing the grainy sleep from her eyes. "And unless you're here to feed me Krayt bacon and tell me 'I'm a bad girl' out with it." A standoff between Nox and Jadus, how wonderful. A mystery person on Nar Shaddaa, now who could that be?

Seems your week off was worth it. Nice chapter. Eagerly awaiting the next.

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment, I appreciate it. ^^

Lia knows something is going wrong, she feels the spiral, but at the same time, she doesn't really know how to fix/change it and she also doesn't feel like she has a reason to care...I'd say she's suffering under a fairly deep depression since her father died. She's lost everything and feels like there is nothing left to live for but the end. Like you say, focussing on the end, gives her a purpose and a buffer against everything else she'd rather not confront. She's probably a bit avoidant like her creator lol. Similar forms of crazy lol.

I think Theron meant well, he's been nothing but kind and decent, supportive, but it doesn't seem quite enough. Scourge if he can get past his anger, he might be able to reach her, it's tough to say until I get them in a room together.

Darmas got exactly what he wanted, his son in charge of intelligence. I think he was angling for that for a while, even before they left NS. It's easier to get what you want from a family member than a stranger. Theron doesn't trust Darmas, neither does Jonas, but Jonas isn't quite as hostile as Theron is toward him. And yes, good old One Iteration Besh is on the loose.

Nox is always a surprise and a charmer, she amuses me to no end, and she's very eager to speak in my ear, unlike some other characters. I'm glad you liked it, and I hope you'll find the revelation on NS to be interesting too.

Thanks so much for the kind comment, it means a lot. <3

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Theron Shan braced himself and raised his fist to the door for the third time in as many minutes. The door was like every other on the base, made of thick, molded durasteel and served to keep others out.

He’d always treated doors in one of two ways; as a challenge or an opportunity, but this door was different—this door didn’t merely deny access to the room or its occupant, but would serve to prise apart the protective shell he’d spent years building and expose the vulnerabilities he harbored within.

To complicate matters further, his confession wouldn’t be to a friend or ally, but an adversary—one that had tried to kill him—and perhaps the only one who could help.

Before his knuckles could connect with the metal surface, the door flew open and Theron stood in the occupant’s massive shadow, his fist hanging in the air before dropping it almost immediately.

“Your hesitation was starting to annoy.” Lord Scourge glared at the agent like a particularly bothersome insect he wanted to pluck apart limb by limb. “What do you want, Shan?”

“A few moments of your time—I need to talk to you.”

“I have nothing to say to you, spy.”

“All right. Then just listen. You have to know I didn’t make the decision to come here lightly. It’s important—and I’d rather not discuss it out here,” Theron said, gesturing at the corridor.

Scourge’s jaw clenched and the way he receded into his quarters reminded Theron of a colossal spider skulking back to the hub of its web after one of its viscid threads had been tweaked.

He took the abandoned doorway as an invitation and went inside. A brazier of twisting flame served as both light and heat, effectively transforming the utilitarian quarters into a primal sanctum. A dim red holocron sat on the low table before the chesterfield.

The air was bitter and dry, and the crackling fire made Scourge’s trenchant and unwavering gaze all the more disconcerting. It was like having an audience with the devil himself.

“Say what you came to say,” Scourge said, folding his arms.

“It’s about Liatrix—I’m worried about her. She’s not the same woman, she’s changed somehow—and before you argue that it’s an effect of time or war or loss—it’s more than that. Whatever’s happening to her is turning her into a stranger. She’s detached and cold and it’s getting more noticeable by the day,” he said shaking his head. “Tell me you’ve noticed, that it’s not just me.”

“I am estranged from my wife—we have spent more time apart than together, we barely speak. Just what is it you expect from me?”

“I don’t know.” Theron paced and spread his hands. “All I know is that something needs to be done, or we’ll lose her. I don’t have to be a Force user to know there’s no going back from this—whatever this is.”

Scourge watched Theron through the heat shimmering above the fire. “What is your relationship with my wife? Are you lovers?”

“No.” Theron frowned. “I won’t lie. We’re close. I love her. I want more—we talk, she confides in me, but that’s all.”

“And yet she hasn’t confided in you about this. Why do you suppose that is?”

Theron plopped down on the short chesterfield in the sitting area, his hands hanging between his knees. “Maybe she doesn’t realize it’s happening—then again, it’s not like I’ve sat her down and said, ‘oh, hey, any idea why you feel like a block of ice when I touch you?’”

Scourge’s hands curled into fists, the sound of his popping knuckles competing with the snap of the coals in the brazier. “Has she been this way since she was freed from carbonite?”

“You know about that.”

“Spies are not the only ones capable of extracting information when it suits them.”

“I guess I’m a little surprised you’d bother.”

“You shouldn’t be. She is my wife.”

“So you know about Valkorion sharing real estate with her.”

“I am aware.”

“Could he be responsible?”

“Indirectly, perhaps. I’ve spent three hundred years in lockstep with my Lord Emperor. If he were exerting his influence over her—if he were still present, I would have sensed it and I have not.”

“You think he’s moved on?”

“Perhaps fully possessing her has proven too great of a drain on his power. Liatrix is nothing if not tenacious—persistently so. Controlling her may have proven impossible and we’d be fools to believe my Lord Emperor wouldn’t have made contingency plans.”

“What sort of plans?”

“The Emperor has always had safeguards in place to protect his true essence and his immortality—his Voice, his Hand, his Will, the children he created, the clones—they were all little more than possible repositories for his being.

“In keeping Liatrix as his sole vessel, he endangers his own survival. Without the ability to replenish his power as he desires, his supply would rapidly diminish and if she were killed he would have no anchor to this plane. The remainder of his power would evaporate and he would, at last, die.”

“Wasn’t Lia his Will at one point? When she was captured after the raid on the Emperor’s fortress?”

“Indeed—undoubtedly one reason he was able to forge such a connection with her so easily after Valkorion’s death.”

“So, the Emperor is technically not Valkorion?”

“No. Only one of many shells he has occupied over the millennia.”

“If you don’t think it's him—what could be causing the changes?”

Scourge’s eyes narrowed and darkened. “Has she never spoken to you of her ancestor Tulak Hord?”

“No—but he’s been dead for thousands of years.”

“Physically—but his essence persists—in the form of a demon.”

“You Sith and your ghosts. I guess there really is no death, only the Force,” Theron muttered.

“Unlike the Jedi, passion compels many of us to extend our lives through arcane methods.”

“So—Hord is possessing her too?”

“No—he is connected to his descendants through their blood. They maintain their own will and desires, but if they were to bargain with him, or draw from the innate well of power that defines the Hord line, a cost is exacted.”

“Is that what you think could be happening? Has Liatrix borrowed from his power or bargained with him?”

“I doubt she would be so foolish as to bargain with him, but like her father, it’s entirely possible she drew upon Hord’s power if the war—if victory—called for it. The coldness you’ve experienced is a product of complete immersion in the dark side.”

“Dammit,” Theron grunted and rammed his hand through his hair. “She’s done so much for the Alliance—I never realized what it might be doing to her. Tell me there’s a way to help her.”

“I don’t know that I can.” Scourge stared into the flames and twisted his left tendril ring. “It may already be too late. She may well suffer the same fate as her father.”

Theron’s brows puckered and his lips turned down miserably. “Something has to be done—I can’t reach her, but maybe you can,” he conceded.

“You realize in coming to me, you risk losing her to me.”

“Better that, than to risk losing who she is completely—I don’t think I could bear that.”

“You truly love her. You poor fool, I almost pity you.”

“The way you say that—don’t you?”

Scourge snorted. “That I say it, means I recognize the disease in another. It’s time you left.”

“Will you talk to her—do something?”

“I will do what I can, but I make no promises—it may take something far greater than either of us to save her if she can be saved at all. Now get out.” Scourge’s last words were laced with the deep and palpable hatred that came with recognizing a genuine rival.

Theron looked meaningfully at the Sith and left quickly. His eyes burned and grew bleary and his breathing united in a forlorn sigh that not even the resigned beats fuelling his heart could silence.

Andronikos supervised the droids loading the final skids of supply crates aboard the Sky Princess II.

“That should just about wrap it up then,” he muttered to himself and ambled to the edge of the landing pad to take in the evergreen vista and one of the last deep breaths of fresh air he’d likely know for quite a while.

“So, Captain Revel—I take it you’ve heard about Jadus—and you’ve decided to leave us,” Liatrix called out as she approached.

“Looks that way. Not bein’ ungrateful for all you’ve done, but once she’s got her mind made up, heh, there’s no stoppin’ her.”

“I take it she’s aboard resting?”

“Yeah. She’s gonna need everything she’s got.”

“It’s a shame to lose you both. I wish you’d reconsider, you’re good in a fight—maybe we could help each other.”

“Maybe we still can—nothing’s carved in durasteel, but for right now, Nox has a few matters that need sortin’ out. We’ll make better allies, once we get back what was taken from us.”

“I understand. If things don’t work out, know that you’re welcome to come back—that goes for both of you. My father considered Darth Nox an ally and so do I.”

“Thanks, Commander, ‘preciate it.”

After they’d exchanged handshakes, Andronikos boarded the Sky Princess II and went to his quarters. Nox lay sprawled across the compact double bed, studying the plans she’d made on her datapad. She glanced up at the darkened doorway where he stood. “Well?”

“Looks like we’re all set. We’re cleared for take-off. You sure you still wanna do this, Sith?”

“Absolutely—I have the meeting arranged and everything.”

“A’right then. Nar Shaddaa here we come. I sure hope you find whatever it is you’re lookin’ for.” He didn’t wait for her to answer or dismiss him and sauntered into the cockpit.

Jonas waited until Lana had dispatched the crowd of droids, smugglers, and technicians with their latest orders in preparation for the raid on Iokath.

His approach was more cautious than casual and her pale yellow gaze fixed on him, almost knowingly.

“I’d like it if we could talk. Got a few minutes?” Jonas began.

“It seems you’ve caught me between briefings, shall we?” She said, indicating her office.

He sauntered into the small chamber and she closed the door behind them.

“Have a seat—I think I have some idea what this may be about,” she said, taking her place behind the desk.

“Yeah, it’s been a long time coming,” he said looking down at his hands.

“Yes, I agree, it has. With so much happening, it’s been easy to put it off and doing so isn’t fair to either of us. I think we can agree on what needs to happen next.”

“Yeah.”

“I just wanted to say—you look good—you look well, for the first time in a long time. I think our time apart has been of benefit to you, and that pleases me,” Lana said. “And whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, your father has been a positive influence on you as well.”

“And I think getting you out of Intelligence was a good move too,” Jonas scoffed.

“I’d like to end things between us amicably if that’s possible—and yes, I welcome the change, in case you were wondering. Spycraft was never my forte and returning to my former responsibilities has been a comfort.”

“Sorry—didn’t mean anything by it, except that you don’t know my old man like I do. Keep your eyes on him, always.”

“Your advice is noted. So that’s it then…it’s finished?”

“Yeah. It’s done. Best thing for both of us,” Jonas said.

“I agree—though I am curious, have you met someone else?”

“Nope—just sorting things out, staying on top of work. You?”

“No, but I would prefer to have matter resolved. One less burden.”

Jonas stood and started for the door. “Yeah, one less burden.”

Lana rose and met him at the door. “I will always respect you and think of our time together fondly. I hope you can do the same.”

“You know it, Frosty,” Jonas murmured and stooped to kiss her cheek. “If you ever need anything…”

“I’ll be sure to call Theron.”

“Good woman,” Jonas deadpanned.

“Good-bye, Jonas,” Lana murmured as he swung the door closed behind him.

((to be continued…))

Faint hope, and an ending:

Seems that Scourge is holding his cards very close to his chest, and it was brave of Theron to approach him at all, considering their past. I would expect Scourge's quarters to be spartan and primal, wonderful job in describing them. How very astute of Scourge to liken Lia's condition to Marr. She has much stacked against her the darkness itself not being the least of the internal war being waged. Hord, the Emperor and the darkness all vying for dominion of one vessel. Scourge may understand more than anyone else except perhaps Nox, but the question remains, can he do anything? One thing is certain, he still loves her, but that may not be enough. Strange times lie ahead for sure.

I'm eager to know who Nox seeks on Nar Shaddaa.

So, Jonas and Lana calling it quits. They were an unlikely pair from the beginning and the odds were never really in their favor. Opposites may attract, but I don't think there was ever enough common glue to hold them together. They'll be the better for it, but in Jonas's case, I always wait for the other shoe to drop. And then, there's always Daddy dearest. The little, "I'll be sure to call Theron" remark at the end made me snicker.

Wonderful chapter, great dialogue, and your Scourge was perfect. Looking forward to the next.

Excellent chapter, and worrisome.

I feel for Theron--that must have been an embarrassing and painful situation, having to turn to Scourge of all people for help. Sworn enemies to the last, it seems, but it speaks volumes of his love for Liatrix that he did it anyway and it makes sense. If Theron cannot reach her then perhaps Scourge is her only hope now before she falls beyond everyone's reach and is devoured by the darkness.

You know, for a moment as they discussed Vitiate and his vessels, I wondered whether perhaps during the ritual he'd jumped into another. I even considered Nox but... she seems plenty her old self. I do wonder where he's gone off to though. As much as I love the absence of Vitiate, it may well be an unsettling sign of worse things to come.

Wow... that conversation between Jonas and Lana. Indeed it was a long time coming and necessary, best to get it out of the way but by the sound and look of it, there truly is not much love lost there at all. It felt more like two business partners going their separate way after a shared endeavor than two lovers parting. That just about says it all and affirms this is the right direction for them.

I enjoyed the read and especially the dialogue between Scourge and Theron. Looking forward to the next installment, great job Luna, big hugs, thank you for entertaining our minds so. ♥

A nasty cold still has me in its grip, and coherent thoughts are hard to come by, so I'll just leave some of these:

<3 <3 <3

Looking forward to the next part!

Thanks so much for the <3 <3 <3 and the encouragement. I do hope you'll be feeling better really soon! *hugs* And thanks for reading and commenting! ^^

Faint hope, and an ending:

Seems that Scourge is holding his cards very close to his chest, and it was brave of Theron to approach him at all, considering their past. I would expect Scourge's quarters to be spartan and primal, wonderful job in describing them. How very astute of Scourge to liken Lia's condition to Marr. She has much stacked against her the darkness itself not being the least of the internal war being waged. Hord, the Emperor and the darkness all vying for dominion of one vessel. Scourge may understand more than anyone else except perhaps Nox, but the question remains, can he do anything? One thing is certain, he still loves her, but that may not be enough. Strange times lie ahead for sure.

I'm eager to know who Nox seeks on Nar Shaddaa.

So, Jonas and Lana calling it quits. They were an unlikely pair from the beginning and the odds were never really in their favor. Opposites may attract, but I don't think there was ever enough common glue to hold them together. They'll be the better for it, but in Jonas's case, I always wait for the other shoe to drop. And then, there's always Daddy dearest. The little, "I'll be sure to call Theron" remark at the end made me snicker.

Wonderful chapter, great dialogue, and your Scourge was perfect. Looking forward to the next.

Scourge does indeed play his cards close. I can't see him revealing himself to too many people, especially a rival. I'm also happy that you enjoyed the descriptions of his quarters and his demeanor. :D I think Scourge is in a position to understand best what's going on with her, simply because he's known her for such a long time. Even while she was married to Doc, they seemed to have a rapport. Like you say it'll be interesting to see if he and Theron will be enough to do anything for her at this point. She's literally holding on by a thread.

It was time to end things for Lana and Balkar. They were very different and it held them together for almost 7 years, but the last couple weren't so great given the state of the galaxy and how it was tearing them apart. I'm glad they were able to end it on a friendly note. I think they still care for each other, but love and passion left long ago.

Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment. <3

Excellent chapter, and worrisome.

I feel for Theron--that must have been an embarrassing and painful situation, having to turn to Scourge of all people for help. Sworn enemies to the last, it seems, but it speaks volumes of his love for Liatrix that he did it anyway and it makes sense. If Theron cannot reach her then perhaps Scourge is her only hope now before she falls beyond everyone's reach and is devoured by the darkness.

You know, for a moment as they discussed Vitiate and his vessels, I wondered whether perhaps during the ritual he'd jumped into another. I even considered Nox but... she seems plenty her old self. I do wonder where he's gone off to though. As much as I love the absence of Vitiate, it may well be an unsettling sign of worse things to come.

Wow... that conversation between Jonas and Lana. Indeed it was a long time coming and necessary, best to get it out of the way but by the sound and look of it, there truly is not much love lost there at all. It felt more like two business partners going their separate way after a shared endeavor than two lovers parting. That just about says it all and affirms this is the right direction for them.

I enjoyed the read and especially the dialogue between Scourge and Theron. Looking forward to the next installment, great job Luna, big hugs, thank you for entertaining our minds so. ♥

It was definitely difficult for Theron to do what he did and it was brave as well. Now it's just a matter of seeing if they can manage to reach her before she's lost.

Vitiate/Valkorion isn't above jumping into another :) It's not Nox, she's still very much her old self, and given some of the things she knows, I think VV would view her as a risk, he wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot polesaber lol. Where he has gone is worrying and will play an important part in the story a little later.

You have it right about Jonas and Lana, it is almost like the splintering of a business partnership than a marriage...the passion and love waned quite a while ago and I think they stuck together for the last couple of years because of the state of the galaxy and no one really wants to feel alone when something like that is happening, but the time has come now, almost 7 years later for them to call it quits. There is caring there, but they're just too different for something lasting. Thanks for reading and commenting, I do appreciate it and the time you took, especially with what has been going on in RL. <3

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Thirty

One of the See-Two units replenished Jonas’s supply of caf while he stood hunched over his workstation.

After the droid left, Darmas sauntered into the deserted war room and pulled up a chair next to Jonas. “Look at you m’boy, burning the midnight oil. I couldn’t be more proud of you.”

Jonas rubbed the fatigue from his eyes. “Is there a reason you’re here? I’m kinda busy.”

Before Jonas could refuse, Darmas poured caf for them from the chrome carafe the serving droid had left behind. “Looks to me like you could use a break.”

“I really need to get this done.”

“Go on, take a breather,” he drawled and reached inside his jacket. “You’re the boss now—I won’t tell if you don’t.”

Jonas eyed the burnished silver flask Darmas extracted from his inside breast pocket, involuntarily licking his lips.

“Thought I’d bring a little something extra given the hour—we never did get to enjoy our celebratory drink.”

“Mmm, s’pose you’re right. These readouts aren’t goin’ anywhere. How Theron stares at this stuff for hours on end—is beyond me.”

Darmas dismissed the comment with a backhanded wave and tipped a splash of liquid first into Jonas’s mug and then into his own. “Finest Corellian brandy money can buy.”

“Cheers.” Jonas held his mug aloft and took a swig. “Seems a shame to cut it with caf.”

“Can’t have you nodding off on the job, now can we?”

“S’pose not,” Jonas said, taking another eager sip.

“So—I trust the usual suspects are en route to Iokath?”

“Yeah—should be there by tomorrow I reckon.”

“So you think this planet will give the Alliance the edge it needs?”

“Sure looks that way,” Jonas murmured and pinched the bridge of his nose and gave his head a shake.

“How’s it feel, now that you’re in charge?”

“Not quite what I expected. If I’d known being in charge meant more work, I might’ve refused.”

“Clearly you need to learn the art of delegation. But not to worry, you’ll get the hang of it. First few weeks are always the toughest.” Darmas’s brows puckered intently, his gaze fixed on his son. “You seem a bit down, truth be told.”

“Not really, just had to do something I was puttin’ off. I called it quits with Lana.”

“You took my advice.”

“I didn’t do it because of you. I did it because it was over. We were just kiddin’ ourselves—neither one of us is cut out for domestic bliss.”

“Now you can put your focus back where it belongs—on your future. How’s life on the straight and narrow?”

Jonas drained his mug and leaned back in his chair. “Not easy. Still get pangs,” he mumbled through a yawn, his eyelids as heavy as anchors.

“They’re called deathsticks for a reason, m’boy. For what it’s worth, you’ve been looking sharper.”

Jonas’s empty mug dangled from his knuckle. “Not feelin’ too damn sharp right now.”

“Why don’t you go ahead, call it a night? I’ll get out of your hair, let you finish up.”

“Mmm—right.” Jonas’s eyes closed and his head lolled forward.

Darmas watched him like a starving wrist-hawk until a faint snore rumbled from the back of his throat. When the snap of his fingers failed to rouse him, Darmas dumped his own barely touched caf and rescued Jonas’s mug before it clattered to the floor.

After making a few adjustments to the security cams, he sliced into Theron’s workstation.

His gaze narrowed as he committed the access codes to memory and with a few deft taps, an encrypted copy of all pertinent intelligence regarding Iokath was on its way to Supreme Commander Jace Malcolm.

Perfect. If luck’s on my side, I should be able to slingshot two bog wings with one stone.

After erasing all signs of his tampering, he powered down Jonas’s station and coaxed him awake with some effort. “You’re more tired than you were letting on.”

“What happened?”

“You nodded off on me, m’boy. C’mon. Let’s get you back to your quarters.”

“Hmm. Sounds like a plan,” Jonas mumbled.

Neon dancers gyrated around neon poles and the cackling riff of a kloo pealed through the recycled Nar Shaddaa air holding the world together like an adhesive.

“Hmm. Good to see some things never change,” Andronikos muttered as he navigated the crowds and flashing lights. You know where you’re goin’ right?”

Nox stopped to get her bearings. “I do—but I can’t explain it—I’m being led.”

“Right by the nose, if you ask me. How d’you know this is on the up and up?”

“I just know. Look if you’re going to be complete lunkhead, why don’t you find yourself a bottle and a booth and I’ll join you when I’m finished?”

“Not on your life, Sith.”

“Remember, you insisted.” Nox wove through the club until the music faded along with the lights. “This is it. We’ll find him here.”

“A part of me hopes he tries somethin’. Been dying to put a blaster hole through someone’s skull, before I forget how.”

“I’m sure you’ll get your chance eventually.”

The heavy black lacquered doors parted and Nox was greeted by a gleaming silver protocol droid. “I am M4-1M at your service—and you are Empress Nox of the Sith Empire, I presume?”

“You presume correctly. Your master is expecting me.”

“Of course he is, right this way.”

The pale man stood behind the polished obsidian island that functioned as his desk, his back to the door, hands clasped behind his back, giving him a crisp authoritative silhouette.

“Master, may I present, Empress Nox of the Sith Empire.”

“That’ll be all M4-1M. Kindly close the doors behind you.”

The office was paneled with rich dark wood and furnished with supple leather furniture. A trophy of a rancor’s head with all of its teeth in full bloom hung over the fireplace mantel.

Andronikos whistled low. “Quite a place you got here—Mister—sorry didn’t get yer name.”

“Nor I, yours.”

“My pilot, Captain Revel,” Nox announced. “I realize you expected me alone, but I assure you, the Captain and I are of one mind and we have no secrets from each other.”

A scythe-shaped smile bridged the man’s razor-sharp cheekbones. “You may call me Solitaire. Please take a seat. Would you care for tea?”

“I appreciate your hospitality, but I don’t wish to linger any longer than I have to. I need to find Darth Fernal and I was led to believe you’d know her whereabouts. Point me in her direction, and we’ll be on our way.”

“Direct and to the point, just as I would prefer it. Darth Fernal is here for the annual slave auction, hosted by the mighty Grugga the Hutt. I took the liberty of procuring an invitation.”

Nox eyed the lavish card after accepting it. “I was told Darth Fernal has been missing for years assuming she survived the encounter with the Eternal Empire.”

“Some might say she’s still missing,” Solitaire said ominously. “I think you’ll understand when you see her.”

“Is she here alone?”

“She’s accompanied by a pair of digits if you take my meaning.”

“I do,” Nox said frowning.

“I can have M4-1M deliver you and your man to the auction.”

“That would be lovely,” Nox purred.

“Before we part company, I require something in return for my assistance.”

“And what would that be?”

“I require the coordinates to a world known as Odessen,” he said presenting her his datapad.

“Odessen…” Nox tapped the talon crowning her index finger against her chin. “Let me think.”

“Don’t waste my time playing coy. The coordinates. Please.”

“Very well.”

Andronikos snatched her wrist before she could accept the proffered device and turned her away from Solitaire.

“You’re serious right now. You’re going to sell them out,” he growled under his breath.

“Why yes, as a matter of fact, I am.”

“Problem?” Solitaire clipped and folded his arms.

“None whatsoever.” She finished imputing the coordinates. “There you are. Feel free to check them against your star charts. You’ll find them to be in order, though I am curious what you mean to do with them.”

“Excellent,” he eyed the data and nodded. “My business is my own, but will in no way interfere with yours.”

“Works for me, it’s been a pleasure, Solitaire. Perhaps we’ll meet again.”

“Perhaps,” he said, icily.

“Can we get outta here now?” Andronikos snarled through gnashed teeth.

Nox arched an eyebrow at him and he released her, his fingermarks pale divots on her flesh.

“Lead the way, Captain.”

Less than an hour later, Nox and Andronikos emerged from Solitaire’s chauffeured limousine. The crowd surrounding the auction center was thick, but a wide scarlet runner, heavily protected by Grugga’s security kept the path clear for the VIPs.

Nox passed her invitation to the event herald and sauntered toward the rows of elegant throne-like chairs assembled for the attendees.

“I don’t like this, Sith.”

“No more than I do, but I need her blood, and I mean to get it.”

“This is really important to you then.”

“Yes, and I need you by my side.”

“This may well be the craziest stunt you’ve pulled yet. Those Hand guys don’t fool around. You know that—and how much you wanna bet they know what you tried to pull on Nathema, huh?”

“Oh stop. Just sit down and try not to twitch. I don’t want to end up buying anything by mistake.”

“Hmph. Have it your way.” Andronikos folded his arms and plunked down on one of the thrones.

She settled next to him and leaned in to whisper, “You’re adorable when you pout.”

“I’m not above shooting you right now.”

Nox smirked and watched the other attendees filter in and take their seats. Darth Fernal, clad head to toe in black armor sat in the center of the first row flanked by a pair of scarlet-robed and masked guards, Nox recognized as the Emperor’s elite guard. If the power radiating from the Emperor’s Wrath wasn’t terrifyingly demonic enough, the two fluted antlers curving over her ebony helmet gave her the appearance of one personified.

Three hours later, the Togruta auctioneer announced the final lot. Until now, the Wrath and her men remained as still as statues.

A pair of Grugga’s men escorted a small boy onto the stage, his wrists weighted with stun cuffs. The child was no more than seven years old at most, with unruly brown hair that appeared to have been licked by a nerf. Even from where Nox sat, she could make out that the boy’s eyes were a peculiar and familiar shade of gold she’d seen in someone recently, but couldn’t place who at that moment.

The bidding started at forty million credits and after a bevy of raised hands, the figure soon swelled to a billion.

For the first time in her life, Nox twitched and shook inside, goose pimples rashing her skin. She raised her hand and the auctioneer announced her bid, “Two billion.”

Fernal’s rage flooded the bay of thrones in torrents of white-hot fury. She raised her hand to counter the bid and no other dared to raise their hand against hers.

No other except Nox. “Three billion.”

“Ten billion.”

“Fifteen.”

On and on the bidding war went until the final number settled on thirty billion, issued by the Wrath.

Andronikos gripped the armrests of his throne, his face ashen.

The boy collapsed to his knees on the stage. Panicked by his sudden drop, Grugga’s men turned their blaster rifles on him.

The air surrounding the child shimmered and the muzzles of the guards' weapons began to melt, dripping molten metal onto the stage. The guards collapsed and writhed in agony.

Nox stood. “Thirty-five billion.”

Fernal whirled on her. “Enough. The boy is mine. What is it you want? I know you don’t want him. I can sense it.”

“Your blood. A phial of it, that’s all. Darth Vowrawn was a friend of yours. He helped you and he was my husband.”

“My blood? Why?” Fernal scoffed.

“Because you’re his granddaughter. I need it to bring him back. He was killed.”

“What?” The demonic helm shook incredulously. “He told you this? When did he die? How?”

“He never got the chance to tell me himself, he was killed—but the spirit of Tulak Hord told me so that I would be able to bring him back. I won’t say any more until we can speak in private.”

The auctioneer called out, “Thirty-five billion, going once, going twice…”

“Withdraw your bid and you’ll have your blood,” Fernal commanded.”

Nox threw up her hand. “I withdraw my bid. Withdrawn!”

Andronikos mopped the sweat from his brow and pushed out a deep breath.

“Sold to Darth Fernal for thirty billion—the highest bid ever paid for a slave.”

“Subdue the boy, prepare him for transport,” Fernal barked at the guards flanking her.

The elite guards left and the crowd dispersed, most heading for the table filled with rare delicacies and drink.

“Make it quick, Nox. How did Vowrawn die?”

“A temple caved in on him—on Nathema.”

“Why would you go there?” Fernal said in a low voice.

“We were there, hoping to trade Lord Scourge for you. We were told the Hand had you captive and Vowrawn insisted on doing whatever he had to, to set you free. Instead, we encountered Valkorion’s essence. He killed Vowrawn.”

“I see,” Fernal murmured. She removed the glove on her left hand and with a small dagger she kept hidden in her armor, she made an incision across her palm.

“Andronikos—the phial.”

He passed the thin transparisteel tube to her and she filled it with the blood pooling in Fernal’s cupped hand.

“For whatever it’s worth, Malavai Quinn is on Odessen—a general for the Alliance,” Nox whispered. “He’s been working with them in the hope of finding you.”

“I wish I could tell him,” Fernal began, “how much I miss him.”

“You could go to him. I could tell you how.”

“I can’t. I can’t risk endangering him. My life…such as it is, is no longer my own. However, I hope to remedy that,” she said, her gaze touching on the unconscious boy as the guards hauled him away.

“Is that the child’s purpose?” Nox asked. “Who is he? Is he one of the Emperor’s children? Or a new voice? A new vessel?”

“I’ve already said too much. Take the blood. Leave before you’re discovered.”

Nox took the phial and started for the exit.

Fernal called after her, “Tell Vowrawn—should you ever see him again—tell him I wish I’d known the truth.”

“I will,” Nox replied before disappearing into the crowd.

The pale man paced before his holo console as the image of his assassin droid and servant rose from the center of the unit. “This is LQ-D8, receiving transmission, Master.”

“I’m sending you the coordinates to Odessen. Our search is over. Do find the good Doctor and see to it he comes good on our arrangement. I’ve waited far too long. A new name, a new face, these should be enough...”

“Acknowledged, Master.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

And so the plots stack and thicken.

I'm of a mind to say Vaylin's the least of the Alliance's problems. As much as I enjoyed the conversation between Darmas and Jonas, I was suspicious the second Darmas offered him a drink and by the looks of it, right to be. He drugged his own son to get the intel he needed and now he's scheming to force a confrontation between Jace and Theron and Lia? To what end? To try and take out some Republic bigwigs or does it go deeper than that? I almost wonder if he's looking to hurt Theron somehow, but why?

I thought Nox was on her way to see either Khem or Ashara but... this is far worse. She went to meet that sonuvabish One! Does she know who he is, who she just dealt with? The new name doesn't fool me and I can't believe she sold the Alliance out like that... just more trouble piling up. Then again, out of love for Vowrawn... she is Nox, after all.

And then the auction. So Fernal is there with the Hand and, the boy? I wonder if that's Deston, I think his name was, Lia and Theron's son? If so, where is his sister then? If not then, who is he? Why is he so important to the Hand?

It was good to see Fernal at last but she seems to be in a pretty bad situation herself. Did she know Vowrawn was her grandfather? She didn't appear entirely surprised, only that someone like Nox knew too. I hope the situation she's stuck in can be resolved but based on the discussion I do worry for the boy, and her. At least Nox has her blood now, hope it'll pay off and ends up being worth the price.

So now we have Darmas with his schemes, lord knows to what end, and same with One who is on his way to Odessen with a new name and face. There's Jadus who's seized the Empire, the Hand who are up to a world of no good, Jace who'll likely be on his way to Iokath and somewhere amidst all that lingers a Vaylin... I think you've beyond juggling balls and you've got an entire ballpen hanging above you instead, admirable work.

Loved the chapter, bred plenty new curiosities and intrigues and I very much look forward to the next one. Superb. ♥

Rot from within, but does it stink enough yet to be noticed:

Jonas should have known better than to take a drink from dear old Dad, but, whatever takes the edge off, I guess. He should have stuck with field work and wet work, this is going to come back to haunt him once the truth comes out. So, Darmas seems to be planning to not only set Malcolm up on Iokath but to frame Theron as well for sending the message from his workstation. But who is Darmas really working for? One? Jadus? The Star Cabal or someone else? I can understand his taking a swipe at Malcolm, but what does he have against Theron or is he just toppling dominos right now?

One, by any other name, is still One and I believe he has a score or two to settle. Nox sold out Odessen, I didn't expect that, but, I guess getting Vowrawn back is her only goal at this point. Vowrawn may not be quite what she expects when and if she brings him back, that resurrection stuff can be a tricky business. I also wonder if Nox thinks she can get ahead of the avalanche she started or if she even cares. And Revel, goes along with it, but I'm not sure he's pleased. He's been on the receiving end of a double cross before. Even if he's sleeping with Nox, he really has no skin in her game.

Huh, elite guard and the Hand. Other than Quinn's safety, I wonder what the emperor has hanging over Fernal's head? And the boy, Deston or Little Bean as Lia used to call him. What is his purpose? I don't see happy times ahead for the child and where is the sister? I'm not quite sure what Fernal meant when she asked Nox to tell Vowrawn she wished she'd known the truth. I hope you reveal that somewhere along the line.

Ha, LQ-D8, liquidate. Nice. One heading to Odessen, new face, new identity. His plans should be quite diabolically interesting as they unfold. I suspect only Theron and/or Darmas could ferret him out, and if Theron becomes disavowed by Lia and Darmas is working for him, well, the game is afoot.

Juggling balls is an understatement, and the story has miles to go. You need the arms of Shiva to keep it all in the air. Wonderful, intricate work.

This is what makes serial stories so damned frustrating, having to wait for the next brick to fall into place. An astounding chapter and segue to so much more, and too many unanswered questions. Eager for the next.

And so the plots stack and thicken.

I'm of a mind to say Vaylin's the least of the Alliance's problems. As much as I enjoyed the conversation between Darmas and Jonas, I was suspicious the second Darmas offered him a drink and by the looks of it, right to be. He drugged his own son to get the intel he needed and now he's scheming to force a confrontation between Jace and Theron and Lia? To what end? To try and take out some Republic bigwigs or does it go deeper than that? I almost wonder if he's looking to hurt Theron somehow, but why?

I thought Nox was on her way to see either Khem or Ashara but... this is far worse. She went to meet that sonuvabish One! Does she know who he is, who she just dealt with? The new name doesn't fool me and I can't believe she sold the Alliance out like that... just more trouble piling up. Then again, out of love for Vowrawn... she is Nox, after all.

And then the auction. So Fernal is there with the Hand and, the boy? I wonder if that's Deston, I think his name was, Lia and Theron's son? If so, where is his sister then? If not then, who is he? Why is he so important to the Hand?

It was good to see Fernal at last but she seems to be in a pretty bad situation herself. Did she know Vowrawn was her grandfather? She didn't appear entirely surprised, only that someone like Nox knew too. I hope the situation she's stuck in can be resolved but based on the discussion I do worry for the boy, and her. At least Nox has her blood now, hope it'll pay off and ends up being worth the price.

So now we have Darmas with his schemes, lord knows to what end, and same with One who is on his way to Odessen with a new name and face. There's Jadus who's seized the Empire, the Hand who are up to a world of no good, Jace who'll likely be on his way to Iokath and somewhere amidst all that lingers a Vaylin... I think you've beyond juggling balls and you've got an entire ballpen hanging above you instead, admirable work.

Loved the chapter, bred plenty new curiosities and intrigues and I very much look forward to the next one. Superb. ♥

I inclined to agree with you. Vaylin is incapable of thinking straight, she's just a violent brat, not that there isn't a threat in a violent powerful brat, but any rational thinking has been dashed out by her temper tantrums and volatility. Not every battle is won by brawn/power alone.

Anytime Darmas shows up one should be suspicious :D He's pretty methodical though, unlike one, who appreciates a little chaos and sprinkles his enemies with it liberally. Darmas is an Imperial at heart, so it makes sense he'd take a swipe at the Republic and its power figures. Theron is clever and a threat and not drinking Darmas's koolaid, so if he can hurt Theron's position he will try.

Nox isn't aware of the events of Spy Vs. Spy so she doesn't have a clue about One, but he has gained something of a reputation as an information broker and the darkness basically led her to him, so that she could get Fernal's blood. She sold out the alliance easily enough, because her wants/needs outweigh the importance of anything else.

The boy is Deston :) As for where his sister is, that is a bit of a mystery that will hopefully be revealed next week. ^^

I'm glad you enjoyed meeting Fernal (whose presence is more talked about than seen) and yes she's in a bad spot, one she is trying to negotiate herself out of. I hoping things will become clearer in time. She always felt like she had a special connection with Vowrawn but could never really explain it and now she knows, so she's not surprised by the connection, just that there was something actual to what she felt with him and from him. They looked out for each other (which is not really a common Sith thing). Nox has her blood now, so we'll have to see how that pans out.

Haha you're not wrong about the ballpit over my head. It scares me sometimes if I think about it too much :D Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment. It means a lot. <3

Rot from within, but does it stink enough yet to be noticed:

Jonas should have known better than to take a drink from dear old Dad, but, whatever takes the edge off, I guess. He should have stuck with field work and wet work, this is going to come back to haunt him once the truth comes out. So, Darmas seems to be planning to not only set Malcolm up on Iokath but to frame Theron as well for sending the message from his workstation. But who is Darmas really working for? One? Jadus? The Star Cabal or someone else? I can understand his taking a swipe at Malcolm, but what does he have against Theron or is he just toppling dominos right now?

One, by any other name, is still One and I believe he has a score or two to settle. Nox sold out Odessen, I didn't expect that, but, I guess getting Vowrawn back is her only goal at this point. Vowrawn may not be quite what she expects when and if she brings him back, that resurrection stuff can be a tricky business. I also wonder if Nox thinks she can get ahead of the avalanche she started or if she even cares. And Revel, goes along with it, but I'm not sure he's pleased. He's been on the receiving end of a double cross before. Even if he's sleeping with Nox, he really has no skin in her game.

Huh, elite guard and the Hand. Other than Quinn's safety, I wonder what the emperor has hanging over Fernal's head? And the boy, Deston or Little Bean as Lia used to call him. What is his purpose? I don't see happy times ahead for the child and where is the sister? I'm not quite sure what Fernal meant when she asked Nox to tell Vowrawn she wished she'd known the truth. I hope you reveal that somewhere along the line.

Ha, LQ-D8, liquidate. Nice. One heading to Odessen, new face, new identity. His plans should be quite diabolically interesting as they unfold. I suspect only Theron and/or Darmas could ferret him out, and if Theron becomes disavowed by Lia and Darmas is working for him, well, the game is afoot.

Juggling balls is an understatement, and the story has miles to go. You need the arms of Shiva to keep it all in the air. Wonderful, intricate work.

This is what makes serial stories so damned frustrating, having to wait for the next brick to fall into place. An astounding chapter and segue to so much more, and too many unanswered questions. Eager for the next.

That's the million credit question. Though I think you have to be around to know if something stinks...which Liatrix hasn't, she's been busy. You're right about Jonas, he shouldn't have taken it and been more wary, but fatigue, craving, and the fact that dear old dad seems to have been 'trying' to be fatherly has finally wormed its way through Jonas's shell. I think Darmas is hoping to get power in any way he can get it, within the Alliance first, and perhaps rebuild the Cabal. Theron is a threat and he and Darmas do not see eye to eye, so Darmas is trying to knock him down a few pegs or at very least instill doubt about his motivations.

As for Nox, well, she's selfishness personified and all that matters to her is what she wants which is Vowrawn. Andronikos knows this isn't healthy, he loves her, hates what she's doing, but I think in his mind, he's giving her enough rope...and that hopefully she'll eventually figure things out. He's not one to hang around indefinitely, so she may very well find herself in a bad place.

Quinn's well being is quite a motivator for Fernal, as is any hope of being with him again. When she gets closer to her goal, the carrot is yanked up higher. Deston's future is not a happy one and as for his sister, I don't think she's in a happy place right now either. I'm hoping Fernal's feelings about Vowrawn will become more clear in the future.

LQ-D8, I do like to play with my droid names. M4-1M has a meaning too, it's actually 'maim' written in leet speak lol. I'm glad you're enjoying it, there are times the complexity of it freaks me out. I have to try and not think about that overly much. :o Thanks for reading and for the wonderful comment, I appreciate it. <3

Why have one traitor when you can have several :)

The appearance of the boy is the most intriguing new development for me, though.

Looking forward to see what Fernal's plan is.

<3

Haha yeah, let's have everyone be a traitor, Bioware loves betrayals lol. :D I'm glad you find the boy's appearance intriguing, and will continue to find him that way as things move forward. Fernal's plan...well, hopefully that will become clearer in time. Thanks for reading and commenting! <3

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Thirty-One

The machines had gone silent, but that didn’t mean they had gone away. They lurked in the shadows—in darkened doorways and niches, watching, studying and learning—calculating the most efficient way to kill their prey before considering more sporting and creative methods.

Like any living being alone for too long, the machines had grown mad and like any intelligent being deprived of stimulation, they’d grown bored. Insanity coupled with boredom made for a lethal mix.

Wedged between a wall and an inactive generator, Liatrix peered out at the world the machines had built. The metropolis was as impressive as Coruscant or Dromund Kaas or any city she’d seen but without a warm hand guiding its creation, the city lacked the artistry and colour that biologicals needed as much as air.

No living being had walked among the machines for a very long time and Liatrix suspected the last one to do so had died painfully in one of the throne-like devices she’d encountered while searching for the others.

Three days had passed since they’d entered orbit with the Gravestone. Iokath was a shell of a world and the metropolis was its yoke. On the way inside, a mysterious power seized control of the shuttle and she woke alone on the world’s surface.

A small endearing probe lured her deeper into the construct where death roamed freely and even the most innocuous looking item could spell the end. Since her awakening, she hadn’t seen any sign that Theron, Lana, Torian or Vette had survived or perished. She didn’t know if they were forced to play survival games with the machines like she had to or if they’d managed to get away from Iokath without her.

Her stomach growled and she crammed the last quarter of her ration bar into her mouth. The grainy square soaked up what little moisture lingered in her mouth. Thirst was becoming a problem. Dizzy spells would come and go and some hours had passed since she’d last relieved herself and when she did the urine was much darker than she was used to seeing. Her skin itched and felt as if it were dusted with powder. She longed for the rains on Dromund Kaas, where water was readily available and getting a drink in the wilds was just a matter of tipping a large leaf to one’s lips.

Here, everything was dry. The air smelled faintly of metallic dust and berries—the same as the smell in space, but the atmosphere was suitable for breathing and she caught herself wondering if the machines had arranged that too and how long before they realized a slight change in composition would end them.

I can’t stay in hiding forever, she thought. Her lightsaber felt uncharacteristically heavy against her palm—a sign she was growing weaker. She closed her eyes and drew on the Force using it to bolster her physical and mental well-being to keep it from dwindling further.

The silence unnerved her, but she took a chance and wriggled out from behind the generator, staying low in case any observer droids remained nearby. The path ahead was laid out like a labyrinth and she wondered what would lie at the center. A sound caught her attention and she froze to listen.

The beat was uneven, faint and she decided it was the sound of footfalls jogging somewhere ahead. She reached out with the Force and the identity of the one making the sound came to her in a welcome wave of awareness.

“Theron!” she called. Her voice cracked and the sound felt foreign after so much silence.

“Lia? Hey! Follow my voice. I know a way out.”

Minutes later his arms clamped around her, holding her tight. “I was afraid I’d lost you. Are you hurt?”

“I’m all right. Tired. Damn machines had me playing wargames.” She pulled out of his embrace and looked him over. “What about you?”

“Starving, thirsty as hell, but nothing that won’t wait a little longer.”

“Where are the others? Have you seen anyone else?”

“They’re with the ship. Everyone’s okay. Vette and Torian got a bit banged up, but they’ll be fine. We figured out how to break free from the tractor pulse and the shuttle’s engines are back online. We just need to emit the same frequency as the machines to avoid their sensors—if they think we’re one of them, they won’t attack us. Here put this on—it’s something I managed to rig together to fool them.”

She took the chrono he offered and slipped it over her wrist. “We’ll be lucky if we get out of here in one piece, never mind finding anything of use.”

“Actually, I do have some good news about that. We found several crates of high yield explosives and I managed to slice into the mainframe here and pulled some schematics I think we can use, so it’s not a complete bust. Torian loaded the cargo hold with as much as we can carry.”

“At least our trip wasn’t for nothing.”

“It’s not over yet. We have to find our way back out of the sphere, preferably without triggering those explosives. We won’t even be a stain if they go off.”

“Let’s get out of here before they start wondering where we went.”

“Agreed,” Theron said.

The sound of a blaster cocking announced the presence of a newcomer—one that wasn’t a machine. Liatrix and Theron whirled around, their eyes wide.

“What are you doing here?” Theron asked.

Jace Malcom stood behind the extended blaster, fresh cuts and burns marring decades of old scars. “You’re not going anywhere. Surrender. Theron, step away from that tyrant.”

Theron drew his blaster in kind. “The hell I will.”

Liatrix set her hand on Theron’s arm. “Don’t kill him over me, I couldn’t live with myself.”

“And I couldn’t live if I lost you.”

Jace glared at Theron incredulously. “What are you doing? Can’t you see she’s going to destroy the galaxy? I thought you were smarter than that.”

Theron’s jaw set stubbornly. “I know what I’m doing.”

An observer droid approached unnoticed, hovering every few meters to complete its scan.

Liatrix laughed bitterly. “You forget, Malcom, if it wasn’t for my warning you and the rest of the Republic would’ve been completely annihilated by Vaylin’s fleet.”

“Zakuul attacked us because of you. The Republic is on its knees—you must be happy now. It’s what you wanted all along. Sith filth. I can’t believe my son would throw in with you.”

“You really are blinded by hate aren’t you,” Theron growled.

“How the hell did you find out about Iokath anyway?” Liatrix asked.

Jace’s gaze shifted to Theron. “This was meant to be a trap, wasn’t it? Lure me here, let the machines do your dirty work. You’d choose her over me?”

“I would,” Theron said quietly.

“No one lured you here, Malcom. I wanted Iokath for the Alliance, but this planet—can’t be controlled, not by anyone.”

“She’s right. You don’t belong here, Supreme Commander.”

“This is getting us nowhere,” Jace barked and opened fire on Liatrix.

Her saber growled to life and deflected the incoming blaster bolts. “You want a fight—you’ll get one!”

“Enough!” Theron shouted. “Stop this, both of you.”

The observer edged closer and scanned, its targeting ray fixing on Jace.

“Take cover!” Liatrix pushed Theron out of beam’s outer edge, tumbling them both behind one of the fencing structures.

No sooner had the observer targeted Jace, a scarlet beam sliced through the artificial atmosphere above and struck him three times in quick succession.

Jace froze, his eyes fixed so wide his pupils were pale gold islands in a sea of white. Blood ran from his nose and ears and then he fell.

“Father!” Theron howled and bolted to Jace’s side.

“It’s too late Theron,” she said, eyeing the spherical droid hovering above to make sure it wouldn’t strike again.

The device, satisfied that the solitary target had been sufficiently damaged, rose up and drifted to another quadrant.

Liatrix remained rooted in place and watched from afar, her fingertips playing over the face of the chrono.

Theron paid no mind to the retreating droid and cradled his father’s head. “We’ll get you help. It’ll be okay.”

“No,” Jace murmured and his eyes closed. “It won’t. I’m sorry…”

A final breath rasped from his body and Theron bowed his head. “You always put the Republic first—I hated you for that—and now you’re gone. I couldn’t save you.”

Liatrix watched in silence and after several minutes had passed, she approached them cautiously. “I know it hurts and I’m sorry. If I can do anything to help, I will.”

Theron held her close and shut his eyes. When she felt him pull away, she took his hand. “Com the others, have them meet us here with the shuttle. We won’t leave him here like this.”

“Thanks, I mean that.”

Nox and Andronikos sped across Korriban’s red shifting dunes and slowed their speeders to a stop on a cliff overlooking the Sith Academy. Little remained of The Valley of The Dark Lords, only a few shards of dust beaten stone and crumbled statues. The faces of the giants supporting the great pyramid had their faces erased, their once-elegant features no more than boulders half-buried in the sand.

The setting sun glowed like a great eye over the apex, the fiery golds and reds dousing the structure like molten lava—a majestic sight—but after the initial grandeur wore off, a closer look revealed a battle-weary building in danger of collapsing on anyone daring to seek refuge under its crumbling remains.

Andronikos drew his goggles up over his forehead and squinted. “Must’ve been somethin’ back in the day, huh?”

“It was. Seems a lifetime since the first time I saw it, fresh off the shuttle,” Nox said, her voice just barely audible over the whistling winds. “Vowrawn and I had talked about rebuilding the school and the valley—not just restoring it, but bettering it, to stamp out the bitterness of our defeat. Needless to say, we never got the chance.”

“We’re not actually goin’ in that death trap are we?”

Nox shook her head. “I’d rather the academy than where we’re going, but in order to secure my final ingredient, I need to pay someone from my past a little visit.”

“Just make it quick. Getting on this rock was bad enough. Getting off is gonna be a whole other rancor ride.”

“Then let’s not tarry. Just the thought of it gives me a bitter taste in my mouth.”

One of the platform elevators still functioned and carried them down into the valley. Minutes later, Nox came to a stop outside what remained of the overseer’s dormitory.

“This is it,” she said ditching her goggles and outer robes.

Andronikos followed her inside and leaned against the crates piled high against the wall, his robes and leather coat gaping open just enough to reveal the blaster dangling from his hip.

“I know you’re here, Harkun. I can smell your foul, loathsome, carcass from here,” she taunted.

Stacks of crates lined the entrance and the lack of dust suggested they’d been recently packed. A leather folio sat on the lowest crate.

Harkun emerged from the rear of the dormitory and for the briefest moment, a look of utter shock registered on his hardened features, before resuming his usual flinty expression.

“What are you doing here?” Harkun grumbled.

“What? No bow? I am after all your Empress.”

Former empress.”

“Tell me where Abaron is and I’ll be out of your hair soon enough.”

“Lord Abaron has taken over Renning’s facility in the Lower Wilds.”

“Still conducting his breeding experiments, I trust.”

“He’s obsessed. As if his precious red skin is the ultimate definition of what it means to be Sith.”

“Careful, Harkun, you sound almost offended.”

“That ridiculous toy holocron he wields means nothing.”

“Failed did you?”

“That is not your concern! I suppose you’ve reconsidered his offer?”

“Hardly.” Nox’s gaze fell on the packed crates and baggage. “Going somewhere?”

“Yes, not that it’s any of your concern.”

“Never thought I’d see the day you’d leave Korriban or your position as Overseer.”

“An Overseer of ruin,” he snorted. “There’s nothing holding me here.”

“It takes money and connections to leave now.”

“And I have both in abundance, slave. I don’t have time to indulge your whims. Leave.”

A pleading sensation, shrill and flat like an out of tune note struck Nox across the Force, urging her to find the source. Peering out from behind the doorframe a tawny-skinned Sith girl with eyes as pale as Nox’s stared back at her. The child was seven, at most.

Andronikos straightened at the girl’s presence. His eyes narrowed as he glanced between the child and her guardian.

Harkun whirled about and growled, “Didn’t I tell you to go to bed?”

“You have a child, Harkun? Where’s her mother? I need to see the woman who’d willingly breed with you.”

“Dead. You got what you came for. Now get out!” he roared.

Nox eyed the girl, turmoil settling over her shoulders like a cloak. “You’re right, I have what I came for,” she said flatly. “Come Andronikos, let us be on our way.”

Andronikos remained rooted and before he could react his blaster flew from its holster to the doorway and discharged five times. Harkun wavered and dropped, the center of his chest a charred and smoking pit.

Nox knelt beside him and pressed her fingertips to his throat. “He’s dead.”

The child dropped the pistol and held her arms out to be picked up.

“She killed him—can’t say I blame her, but still.”

Andronikos strode past Nox, reclaimed his blaster and picked the girl up, balancing her against his hip. “He hurt you?”

The child nodded.

Nox’s hand closed over her mouth and she glared at the body on the floor.

“Hmph. Can’t say I saw that comin,’” he mumbled.

“What are we going to do now?” Nox frowned.

“Not like we can leave her all by herself. Guess we take her with us.”

“What are we going to do with a child, Andronikos?”

“Dunno. We figure that out as we go.” His eyes fixed on Harkun’s body. “Sick sonvabish, hurtin’ a little kid.”

Nox snatched up the folio from the crate, her brow lifting as she perused the contents. “Where in blazes would he get this sort of money? Tickets to Jaguada of all places…”

Andronikos reached over and snatched the cheque. “Not gonna let that go to waste. I still got connections with the Banking Clan.”

“You’re going to cash it.”

“Damn straight,” Andronikos grinned at the child. “Girl’s gotta have some spending money. Maybe a new dress er two, huh?”

“Should I be jealous?” Nox crooned. “You never struck me as such a softy.”

“Hmph. She makes me think of what you must’ve been like little. Now let’s get that meat sack you came for and get the hell off this rock.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Bows to you for mentioning that abysmal place but not getting us stuck there.

Absolutely stunning descriptions of Iokath and the machine mind that dwells there. Wonderful observation about intelligence and boredom being a deadly poison for any species, whether biologic or mechanoid. Yes, the rule of three, 3 minutes without air, three days without water, 3 weeks without food. Dehydration is no joke.

Clever Theron for making that disguise for them. Seems Darmas' message got through to Jace after all, I suspect some dust-up over that in the future, but for now, at least Jace did not die by Lia's hand. Sad scene it was when Jace died, even in the game. I felt bad for Theron, but choices had been made and sides chosen. I must admit I chuckled a bit at his remark when Lia offered to take Jace's body with them. It's the exact same bark Theron does when giving him a companion gift he loves: 'Thanks, I mean it'. Well played whether you meant it that way or not. :D

*claps with glee*. I'd never considered Abaron but he does very closely resemble a younger Vowrawn. What an excellent and unexpected choice, I applaud you, heartily. I'd always rather enjoyed his character, in the game, and despite being a zealot, he was always a bit intriguing to me and handsome to boot.

Harkan finally gets his just reward and in the most wonderful way. Although I must admire his moxie by getting in that one last 'slave' before his demise. I can guess who the girl is, I just hope she makes it back to Odessen but it seems that Nox has other places to be first and what she will do when and if she discovers the girl's true identity.

For all his gruffness, I can see Nikki protecting a young child. I wonder if the child will become THE bone of contention between him and Nox? Interesting thought. I did chuckle again when Nikki referred to Abaron as the 'meat sack', he does have a way with words.

I do worry about this resurrection thing Nox is about to undertake. It really is a tricky business and I am concerned that she may not get back the Vowrawn she lost. I am quite anxious to see what direction you take with this.

Delicious chapter savored to the last word. Thank you and already wanting the next. :)

I'm going to cheat, and say I agree with Misha on all points :D

These are my favorite lines:

Andronikos reached over and snatched the cheque. “Not gonna let that go to waste. I still got connections with the Banking Clan.”

“Damn straight,” Andronikos grinned at the child. “Girl’s gotta have some spending money. Maybe a new dress er two, huh?”

I do love the guy!

<3

A fascinating chapter with clever surprises!

I thoroughly enjoyed your opening sequence as Liatrix wakes up and combats her way through a treacherous Iokath alone. The descriptions were captivating and really set a tone describing the planet perfectly. I find it admirable actually how you pulled so much poetry out of your sleeve for a planet that's... well, in my view, dreadfully dull and needless to say Iokath is one of my least favorite zones and chapters. Well done.

Ahh, Jace, so Darmas got his message out in time. That's going to complicate matters if/when it's discovered. Can't say I mourn his demise. Jace was always my preferred one of the two parents Theron is cursed with, at least, up until the Iokath chapter when he suddenly surpassed Satele in the arts of being a di.ck, neigh impossible but Jace pulled it off. Your story version has pissed me off plenty as well so I'm inclined to cheer "Good riddance" though I feel bad for Theron. It was his father after all. Kind of Lia to offer to bring his body back to Odessen--Jace doesn't deserve that courtesy but Theron does.

The snides and sneers between Nox and Harkun never fail to entertain me but it would appear these were the last of it. Another one bites the dust and once again, I won't be shedding any tears but at least Harkun had a level of entertainment to him.

Lord Abaron... I remember him from in-game, always thought he was quite the treat. He should make for a suitable vessel provided Nox can pull this ritual off without hiccups or unexpected side effects.

And the child... so that's where the sister is. She still gives me the creeps, I don't buy her innocence act and while Harkun is a bitter and evil as.s, I'm not convinced he wasn't getting the raw end of the deal in looking after her. Would have kept her around in recognition of her powers, a decent pay perhaps? I'm incredibly curious to know what happened since last we saw them. But for now, she's safe with Nox and a somewhat doting Andronikos which did melt my heart a little... wonder what Nox will do though once she learns of the child's identity and whether her own loss of motherhood will come into play at all.

A delightful read, I'm eager to find out where all of this is taking them next, great job. :D

Bows to you for mentioning that abysmal place but not getting us stuck there.

Absolutely stunning descriptions of Iokath and the machine mind that dwells there. Wonderful observation about intelligence and boredom being a deadly poison for any species, whether biologic or mechanoid. Yes, the rule of three, 3 minutes without air, three days without water, 3 weeks without food. Dehydration is no joke.

Clever Theron for making that disguise for them. Seems Darmas' message got through to Jace after all, I suspect some dust-up over that in the future, but for now, at least Jace did not die by Lia's hand. Sad scene it was when Jace died, even in the game. I felt bad for Theron, but choices had been made and sides chosen. I must admit I chuckled a bit at his remark when Lia offered to take Jace's body with them. It's the exact same bark Theron does when giving him a companion gift he loves: 'Thanks, I mean it'. Well played whether you meant it that way or not. :D

*claps with glee*. I'd never considered Abaron but he does very closely resemble a younger Vowrawn. What an excellent and unexpected choice, I applaud you, heartily. I'd always rather enjoyed his character, in the game, and despite being a zealot, he was always a bit intriguing to me and handsome to boot.

Harkan finally gets his just reward and in the most wonderful way. Although I must admire his moxie by getting in that one last 'slave' before his demise. I can guess who the girl is, I just hope she makes it back to Odessen but it seems that Nox has other places to be first and what she will do when and if she discovers the girl's true identity.

For all his gruffness, I can see Nikki protecting a young child. I wonder if the child will become THE bone of contention between him and Nox? Interesting thought. I did chuckle again when Nikki referred to Abaron as the 'meat sack', he does have a way with words.

I do worry about this resurrection thing Nox is about to undertake. It really is a tricky business and I am concerned that she may not get back the Vowrawn she lost. I am quite anxious to see what direction you take with this.

Delicious chapter savored to the last word. Thank you and already wanting the next. :)

Thanks for the kind comment, it's much appreciated. I didn't enjoy Iokath in the least and didn't want to linger, aside from getting what I needed from it for my story.

I thought it would be interesting to change the story and put my own take on it, and I could see Theron being clever enough to rig up a 'disguise' of sorts for the group. He is a gifted slicer after all, something we don't see him doing nearly enough of in the game. *Chuckles* I wasn't actually going for the gift dialogue they have for him, but decided to keep his line after the Outlander comforted him after Jace's death, this is what I would call a 'happy accident' and am glad it brought a smile to your face. ^^

I'm glad you approve of Abaron, I really did like him, regardless of his predilection for 'red skin'. He was an interesting character on Korriban, one of the few quest givers I really enjoyed in the game. I figured he was a good and handsome choice for a vessel and in my mind, he and Nox had many interesting 'conversations' while she was a student.

It was a rather unexpected end for Harkun, even for me, it wasn't something I'd actually been planning, it just...came. Sephna did that and I wrote it down and sat back and thought about it and I liked it so I left it :D Glad you enjoyed that.

I could see Andronikos protecting a kid, he wouldn't take kindly to someone abusing a child, gruff pirate as he is, he does have a sense of honour and ethics. It might be interesting to see how this dynamic will unfold, Nikki very much sees the girl as a young 'Nox' and he has this idea about wanting to spoil her rotten like he does Nox.

Hopefully the resurrection will be interesting. *hopes* :) Thanks for reading and for the kind observations.

I'm going to cheat, and say I agree with Misha on all points :D

These are my favorite lines:

I do love the guy!

<3

Thanks for the lovely compliment and comment, I appreciate it. And I'm really happy you enjoyed Andronikos. He's proving to be fun to write. ^^

A fascinating chapter with clever surprises!

I thoroughly enjoyed your opening sequence as Liatrix wakes up and combats her way through a treacherous Iokath alone. The descriptions were captivating and really set a tone describing the planet perfectly. I find it admirable actually how you pulled so much poetry out of your sleeve for a planet that's... well, in my view, dreadfully dull and needless to say Iokath is one of my least favorite zones and chapters. Well done.

Ahh, Jace, so Darmas got his message out in time. That's going to complicate matters if/when it's discovered. Can't say I mourn his demise. Jace was always my preferred one of the two parents Theron is cursed with, at least, up until the Iokath chapter when he suddenly surpassed Satele in the arts of being a di.ck, neigh impossible but Jace pulled it off. Your story version has pissed me off plenty as well so I'm inclined to cheer "Good riddance" though I feel bad for Theron. It was his father after all. Kind of Lia to offer to bring his body back to Odessen--Jace doesn't deserve that courtesy but Theron does.

The snides and sneers between Nox and Harkun never fail to entertain me but it would appear these were the last of it. Another one bites the dust and once again, I won't be shedding any tears but at least Harkun had a level of entertainment to him.

Lord Abaron... I remember him from in-game, always thought he was quite the treat. He should make for a suitable vessel provided Nox can pull this ritual off without hiccups or unexpected side effects.

And the child... so that's where the sister is. She still gives me the creeps, I don't buy her innocence act and while Harkun is a bitter and evil as.s, I'm not convinced he wasn't getting the raw end of the deal in looking after her. Would have kept her around in recognition of her powers, a decent pay perhaps? I'm incredibly curious to know what happened since last we saw them. But for now, she's safe with Nox and a somewhat doting Andronikos which did melt my heart a little... wonder what Nox will do though once she learns of the child's identity and whether her own loss of motherhood will come into play at all.

A delightful read, I'm eager to find out where all of this is taking them next, great job. :D

Thanks so much for that comment. Iokath was not a joy, but I'm glad that for the brief time I touched on it, that you enjoyed the time there. As you say there was little 'poetry' to be had in that place in the game, so I tried to help it along a bit through description.

I imagine once the dust settles there will be some thought going into how Jace would've learned about Iokath. I agree, in the game, Jace was the preferred parent for me too, but my story ran with the idea that Satele had put out there in the lore, that Jace had a darkness to him she couldn't abide, and it sounded reasonable to me, that a military guy like him would have a darker take on life given the lives he's taken and the fights he'd been a part of; a certain paranoia and suspicion about him and that he would act on his gut and that he was very much an 'ends justify the means' kind of guy.

I figure Harkun had it coming, but as I commented to Misha, it was a bit unexpected in how it came about and I went with it, it made sense to me that Sephna would take her chance to get out, she didn't have one before. She could've killed Harkun, but then she'd be alone and didn't really know how to fend for herself and no way to go search for her brother, who Harkun had sold to get off Korriban.

I figured you'd like Lord Abaron, he is a yummy Sith :D

Sephna is a creepy child, has been since birth really. She doesn't say much, there's a physicality about her, that you're not really sure how much she knows or is aware of, or even if she can talk. I imagine her and Deston having their own language even. Even though they're not twins, they were close enough that they came to behave that way and with the Force they're linked like twins, I suspect they can 'feel' each other's presence and well being at a distance. I have no doubt the two of them made Harkun's life hell...I think Spindrall would've been more understanding of them and more tolerant, but he's dead now, as he was dying in Spy Vs. Spy and that was several years ago. I actually think Deston was probably the meaner prankster of the two, and thus the reason he was chosen to be sold. For now, she is safe, I don't see either Nox or Nikki hurting her, but I think it'll be intersting to see how she affects them.

Thanks for the lovely comment and for reading. It always helps to bolster me up :)

Edited by Lunafox

Hi :)

Just a brief note to let you guys know that there will be a slight delay on this week's chapter owing to the Easter holiday and a slight case of writer's block. I'm hoping to have the chapter up by Tuesday night.

Thanks for your patience,

~Luna ^^

Hi :)

Just a brief note to let you guys know that there will be a slight delay on this week's chapter owing to the Easter holiday and a slight case of writer's block. I'm hoping to have the chapter up by Tuesday night.

Thanks for your patience,

~Luna ^^

I'll be waiting! Good luck with everything you need to take care of for the Easter holidays and I hope you find your rhythm along the way to pen down a new chapter. ♥

I'll be waiting! Good luck with everything you need to take care of for the Easter holidays and I hope you find your rhythm along the way to pen down a new chapter. ♥

Thanks! Me too. It's a matter of knowing what you want to do, but just not being able to wrangle it into the shape you want. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my turkey dinner. :D Thanks for the support. <3

Take care of family stuff first. Once that is over it will free up some headspace and you can get your chapter done. I'll be here waiting no matter when it hits the boards.

Thanks Misha! <3 I really appreciate the support, and hopefully once I get all this Easter junk out of my head, the spice will flow again lol. :D

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Thirty-Two

“I want to thank you again,” Theron said, “whatever our differences were—it didn’t feel right leaving him in that place.”

Despite the warmth of the sun and the breeze gently swaying the surrounding trees, Liatrix kept her distance from the rocky burial mound. It surprised her how little effort it took to turn the sky black and freeze the stars in its vast infinity.

She could feel the rough texture of the stones against her palms without touching them and the scuffing sound of stone piled on stone echoed in her ears. If she ventured any closer, would they take her back to the cold dark world populated with graves for one man?

Her fingers curled into a fist and she relished the sensation of her nails digging into her skin, a reminder that she was no longer in Valkorion’s hell.

Theron grasped her shoulders and canted his head. “You okay?”

“Yeah, just thinking.” The ferns swayed over the riverbank, weighed down by the spiraling fiddleheads on the tips of each frond. “I won’t lie—I didn’t do it for him, I did it for you, so you can find peace.”

“I know,” he said, releasing his hold on her. “I knew he and I would never be close, but I still hoped, somehow, it might’ve been possible—foolish, I know.”

“You’re not foolish, Theron. Without hope, we’re empty, with only obligation to drive us.”

“Is that how you feel?”

“I have something to live for.”

“What’s that?”

“The end,” she said quietly. “One day, all this will be nothing but a memory.”

“Master Zho once told me, that my father and Satele fell in love in a place very much like this.”

“Maybe they’ll find each other again,” she said, drifting from the graveside. She glared at the open area around her, daring Satele to appear, but the woman would not comply. ‘Typical,’ Liatrix thought.

Theron followed her down the path. “Still can’t believe we managed to get past that Republic cruiser. They did not want to give up.”

“With everything that happened on the surface, we deserved a break. Besides, what were they going to do after we took out their hyperdrive?”

“I know you could’ve done more, but I’m glad you didn’t. Thanks for that.”

“You’d think after sparing them, they’d cut me a little slack—you’ve heard the reports, right?”

Theron nodded and fixed his gaze on the evergreen needles scattered over the patchy loam. “Yeah, I heard.”

“To them, I’m a no-good traitor—a murderer and a war criminal. It’s only natural they’d think I killed him too.”

“Let’s not go there,” he whispered.

“Fine, let’s not.” Her eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

“Obviously, you’ve got something on your mind. Want to talk about it?”

“Something about this stinks—how did he find out about Iokath? Where we’d be and when—and what we were after? There’s no way that was a coincidence.”

“You think we have a leak.”

She nodded. “And whoever it is may as well have pulled the trigger. This was a set-up, I’m sure of it.”

“Have you told anyone else?”

“No, and I think it’s better that way. We don’t know who they are or what their goal is. Was it simply to help the Republic, or something more sinister?”

“It’s worth looking into.”

“Then let’s do that—keep it between us for now. Depending on what we learn, maybe we should let it play out and see what happens.”

“You’d make a pretty good spy.”

“I like to think I learn from the best.”

“Jonas would be flattered.”

“I meant you,” her gaze drifted toward the cliff-side base. “Did you mean what you said back on Iokath?”

“Every word.”

She stopped and took his hand. “Don’t anchor your life to mine, Theron. I’ve seen how this ends.”

“Master Zho used to say, ‘the future is always in motion.’”

“—Only for those who have one.”

He cupped her hand between his. “Hey—stop that. I don’t want to hear talk like that from you.”

“I’ve accepted it—I think it’s time you did too. The war ends, when I do.”

“You don’t expect to survive,” he said, stricken. “I won’t accept that.”

“You have to.” She tugged her hand from his and stalked toward the camp. “Find the leak, Theron.”

“Whatever you say, Commander,” he muttered.

Nox tapped her fingernails against the hover-stretcher, her gaze riveted to Lord Abaron’s unconscious body. Time had been kind to the elegant Sith lord; if possible, his features had grown even more handsome and distinguished since her days at the academy. The memory of his refined briery voice warmed her the marrow. It wasn’t Vowrawn’s voice, but it was one she could listen to for an eternity.

Andronikos engaged the autopilot and sauntered to the rear of the Sky Princess II. He paused long enough to tug the blanket higher over the strange Sith child that had fallen asleep on the narrow black couch lining one side of the corridor. He pressed on as if summoned by the rhythmic clicking tempo he knew so well.

He leaned against the archway and folded his arms, watching the love of his life, moon over the body that would serve as the vessel for the love of her life. The colour of her eyes reminded him of bleak grey clouds that heralded days of biting rain and he wondered if her tears ran hot or cold and cursed himself for not knowing.

“Hmph. You look about a million klicks away right now,” he grunted idly.

“I suppose I am—just reminiscing about paths not taken.”

“Just how well did you know this Abaron anyway?”

“Well enough, that I almost married him.”

“First I hear of it.”

“You don’t expect me to reveal all of my secrets do you?” she asked coyly.

“Maybe. S’pose we’ve all got something. Just seems to me to be the kind of thing you’d tell a guy. Did he know?”

Nox shook her head. “No. I never saw the point in telling Veles either.”

“Glad to hear I’m not the only one outta the loop. So, why didn’t you?”

“Marry him?” Nox smoothed her robes and glanced thoughtfully at Abaron. “I suppose, I wanted more out of my life than to breed a horde of screaming children.”

“So he wanted a mess of kids, huh?”

“Not just that—he was obsessed with what he referred to as the ‘supreme race.’ It wasn’t enough to be Sith or to have our red skin, it was the purity he dreamt of that frightened me.”

“You? Frightened?” Andronikos nearly burst out laughing but stifled it.

“He was very much into experimentation and I feared if we were to have children what he might do to them. People are not akk dogs, to breed for certain characteristics. If we had a child that looked too human, he would’ve thought nothing of culling it—like it was some sort of blighted runt.”

“Your father—you said he was human.”

“That’s right, he was.”

“And that’s what scared you—that your child would look human.”

“It’s been known to happen. The way the genes fall, it’s quite possible for Sith of mixed heritage to have human looking children or children who appear as traditional Sith.”

“And this is who you wanna cram the old man’s spirit into?”

“I can live with his voice and appearance, just not his ambitions.”

“Hmph. I see why you didn’t wanna talk to him beforehand.”

“It would serve no purpose. I’ve tried to stop thinking of him as Abaron, ever since I made my choice. Abaron, for all intents and purposes, is dead. The tranq dart was definitely the way to go. He won’t know what hit him, as you so often like to say.”

“Gonna ask you again. You sure you wanna do this? It’s not too late to back out and I don’t judge, you know that.”

“I know, but yes, I need to do this. We’ve come too far to turn away now.”

“Not we. You. Just so we’re clear, Sith.”

Nox frowned. “Where’s the girl now?”

“The girl was right tuckered out. She’s fast asleep out there.”

“This is a problem we didn’t need.”

“Take it easy, she’s just a kid. After she wakes up, gets some food into her—maybe we can find out if she has family. Get a name out of her.”

“And if she doesn’t?”

“I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, a’right?” Andronikos growled.

“There’s something off about that child—she makes me uneasy.”

“That’s rich. You, of all people, bothered by a rugrat. If push comes to shove, that cheque I cashed is more than plenty to get her set up in a little house somewhere outta the way with a nanny—maybe some muscle to watch over ‘em too.”

“So you do have a plan, why didn’t you say so?”

“Guess I was hopin’ you’d have more of a heart and more sense too,” he snarled and stalked back to the cockpit.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere I can breathe,” he snarled under his breath.

Nox stood and followed him “We weren’t finished.”

“No? We look pretty finished to me.”

“What happened to ‘we’ll be in each other’s orbits forever?”

He glared at her, his lips curled in revulsion. “Don’t you go twistin’ my words. I meant what I said, but it’s pretty clear only one of us ever meant it.”

“Are you implying I haven’t been sincere? You mean the world to me.”

“Maybe the world ain’t enough,” he growled and towered over her, his finger jabbed at her chest. “I look at you right now and you don’t wanna know what I want to do to you.”

“Try me,” she purred and ran her fingers over his wrist.

He pulled his arm away as if he’d been burned. “I’m not playin’ this time. I told you’d I’d help with this crazy messed up Sith mumbo jumbo and I will. But that’s it. Then I’m out. We’re through. Got it?”

“No! I told you I loved you and I meant it.”

“You gotta piss poor way of showin’ it.”

“You want to keep her, don’t you? And play house, the three of us a family.”

“Somethin’ so wrong with that? Helluva lot better than whatever we’ve been playin’ at. None of us is gettin' any younger.”

“So that’s it, you’re leaving me.”

“Yeah—yeah, I s’pose I am. Been a long time comin’ too if you ask me.”

“I need you, you can’t just leave.”

“I can and I will. I’m done. Now get outta my sight, I can’t stand to look at you.”

“Andronikos Revel. What has gotten into you?”

“What’s gotten into me? I’ll tell ya. Sense. That’s what. I’ve only ever wanted one thing, Sith. That’s never changed.”

“You want more money?”

“No! That ain’ it. Money I can get anywhere. Galaxy’s full of it. Maybe when you grow up enough to figure it out—you know what? Don’t bother. Just get out of my sight before I wring your scrawny neck and put you out of my misery once and for all.”

The persistent wail of the proximity alert squawked between them like a mewling pup demanding attention. Dromund Kaas loomed large in the ship’s viewport, its surface clothed in billowing mounds of nimbus clouds heavy with rain. Lightning blinked inside them, flashing in time to the whim of some invisible conductor.

“We’re here. Looks like you’re about to get your wish, Sith. I hope it’s worth it.”

Doc collected his instruments and stowed them in the autoclave for sterilization in his lab on Odessen and flicked off the overhead lights. The last bands of fading light retreated across the window he passed on the way back to his office. Something unseen compelled him to stop and the urge to look over his shoulder was overwhelming.

“Who’s there? No need to sneak up on Ol’ Doc. I don’t like surprises except on my birthday and it’s not, so…”

A tall, lithe, silhouette stepped from the shadowed niche, a reflection cutting across the square lensed ocular implants perched over the bridge of the man’s nose as he spoke. “Good evening, Doctor.”

For the first time in a long time, Doc found himself at a loss for words and rooted to the floor.

The pale man emerged fully into the dim light, idly tugging at the hem of his leatheris gloves. “It seems it’s my good fortune that we cross paths yet again.”

“Yeah…how about that. Long time. Uh, you look good—homicidally good. The look really works for you—edgy, but you totally pull it off.”

“Indeed. You do know why I’m here, yes?”

Doc nodded cautiously. “I didn’t get a chance to reschedule our appointment.”

“Why don’t we do that now and discuss what you owe me over a spot of tea.”

“It wasn’t my fault, I swear—the wife got into some local trouble…whatever we’d agreed upon before—is fine by me. In fact, I’ll throw in whatever you want, free of charge.”

“Excellent,” the pale man oozed and indicated the hall leading to Doc’s office. “After you?”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Thank you for making me enjoy my morning coffee even more!

I like the quiet of the first part and how Theron switches to 'Commander' at the end. They stood close for a moment and now they are taking a step apart again.

Andronikos seems to be in suicidal mood. Will he get away with this level of recalcitrance?

And I had forgotten about Doc's job, I have to admit, but that was quite some way to remind me and him.

As always looking forward to the next part to see how this progresses.

<3