The Sanctuary of Regret

Lunafox

Time, loss, misunderstandings and hard lines can make a reunion awkward, if not cold. I don't think theirs could have played out any other way at this point, more like water without a bridge than water under the bridge. Realistic and well done. It will be interesting to see how they navigate through the past to get to the present or even the future.

Planets and people, some of the first casualties of war, although some would argue that the first is truth. I would argue on the side of innocence. The descriptions of the ruin of Odessen did resonate on this line of thinking.

And Scorpio, yay. A lot can be done with murder-bot, it should be entertaining to see what you do with her.

Nice chapter. :)

Time, loss, misunderstandings and hard lines can make a reunion awkward, if not cold. I don't think theirs could have played out any other way at this point, more like water without a bridge than water under the bridge. Realistic and well done. It will be interesting to see how they navigate through the past to get to the present or even the future.

Planets and people, some of the first casualties of war, although some would argue that the first is truth. I would argue on the side of innocence. The descriptions of the ruin of Odessen did resonate on this line of thinking.

And Scorpio, yay. A lot can be done with murder-bot, it should be entertaining to see what you do with her.

Nice chapter. :)

I'm really happy that you felt it was realistic, painful, awkward and cold, it's what I was going for and like I said, it was hard to resist the impulse of *smoosh together* Now kiss! :D I knew it couldn't and shouldn't be that way, so it was a challenge to keep it honest to what had gone before between them. I was pretty happy with the result myself. Now it just remains to be seen what will happen with them.

I agree with your take on the ruin of Odessen. As for the murder bot, lol. I hope it won't be disappointing. A lot will happen in the next chapter. :) Thanks again for reading and for the insightful comment. ^^

Sooo... now that I'm back it's time to read and leave some feedback!

First off let me start by saying I am and was beyond thrilled to see you've begun writing again and started a sequel to everything else you've posted so far! Finally, Liatrix's story continues! ♥

Now... in the spoilers you'll find feedback to each chapter as I went.

Chapter 1;

I very much enjoyed the opener here; Liatrix stacking up endless burial mounds as she lingers in the spirit realm. It really set the tone. I feel the way you've personalized the events, her conversation with Valkorion is quite ingenious and it adds some much needed depth to the somewhat bland scene the game forced upon us. I really enjoy your take on him too and though in ways we all know his 'end game' by now, I'm eager to see what you have planned for Lia and him on a more personal level.

Chapter 2;

Mm interesting, Scourge went for the last remaining clone and it is rather adorable to see him so fatherly. It got me right gooey and happy until the attack. So sad that he lost her now too though in a way I feel it might just be for the best... wonder where this will lead him next.

Chapter 3;

Yay! You deviated somewhat from the original team and added two very scrumptious men! So glad to see Jonas again and, Quinn! Good choice for an added rescue-team member! I suspect some jealousy will be brewing... not sure how 'over' Liatrix Jonas ever was and Lana seems concerned/uneasy... dundundunnn! I'm also quite grateful you're not dragging out all the fight scenes and the escape, it was dreary enough in game. Well done!

Chapter 4;

Haha. Okay I love the bickering between Quinn and Jonas and the back and forth jabs, what a pairing! It would seem there's a bit of tension within the team... Lana and Liatrix's water run was most definitely uncomfortable it seems. And of course Jonas goes chasing straight after Liatrix despite Lana's discouragement... that's not gonna go well. Men.

Chapter 5;

Jonas... you're hot but I kind of want to punch you now. You're married and Liatrix is still coming to terms with the potential death of her own husband and her kids and you're trying to back her into a corner and rekindle an old romance? Selfish and disrespectful much? Sheesh! And that comment about how she's "free now", how callous. Grrr. Sorry, that got me wound up but safe to say it was excellently written obviously! :D

Chapter 6;

And the frost between Jonas and Lana is just becoming more apparent. I do hope they can work it out, I liked them as a pairing in Spy vs. Spy and had good hopes for them. Ahhh Hord... forgot about him for a little while, dirtbag... it sure is busy inside Liatrix. This made me snort; “Of-of course, my lord. I suppose comfort is a basic human requirement during times of illness and uncertainty, and as your physician, I suppose I must act to ensure your betterment.” Typical Quinn but yikes! Someone should have given him that anti-Liatrix vaccine thingy, he sure could use it! Darmas... interesting, he knew her mother after all didn't he? It's nice to see him woven in too, a nod back to 'Marr' and the past.

Chapter 7;

More and more characters appear... I like that the ship she stole is Andronikos'. Seems like Quinn understands her quite well on some level even if they're not that familiar with each other. Can't say I would have done anything different. Wow, Empress Nox... that'll be something, no doubt with Vow-wow by her side? Those two were a delightful pairing in Foundation, will be good to see them again. So, off to Odessen?

Chapter 8;

Oh I was right, Nox and Vow are still as delightful as ever together and I loved their chat about Jace and all they put him through, made me grin rather gleefully, nice work! Scourge is back too and he seems to be aligning himself with a devious pair... very interesting, and it's nice to find out what happened to the new Wrath. Seems like even more characters will be joining, the Smuggler? Are these your alts? I know Feravai is. Nice way to incooperate everyone.

Chapter 9;

Oof. If I thought the convo between Lana and Jonas was icy, it's nothing compared to Lia and Theron's reunion, damn. That went from uncomfortable and awkward to something that makes Hoth look like a tropical paradise. It makes sense though given all they've been through both together and separately. And now to confront Scorpio the child-napping freakazoid droid, ergh.

All in all I am thrilled to see you writing and posting again Luna and I love where this is going so far. Your creative and personal touch is making the KOTFE/KOTET story a lot more enjoyable to read about and I'm glad. Keep up the wonderful work as always!

Sooo... now that I'm back it's time to read and leave some feedback!

First off let me start by saying I am and was beyond thrilled to see you've begun writing again and started a sequel to everything else you've posted so far! Finally, Liatrix's story continues! ♥

Now... in the spoilers you'll find feedback to each chapter as I went.

Chapter 1;

I very much enjoyed the opener here; Liatrix stacking up endless burial mounds as she lingers in the spirit realm. It really set the tone. I feel the way you've personalized the events, her conversation with Valkorion is quite ingenious and it adds some much needed depth to the somewhat bland scene the game forced upon us. I really enjoy your take on him too and though in ways we all know his 'end game' by now, I'm eager to see what you have planned for Lia and him on a more personal level.

Chapter 2;

Mm interesting, Scourge went for the last remaining clone and it is rather adorable to see him so fatherly. It got me right gooey and happy until the attack. So sad that he lost her now too though in a way I feel it might just be for the best... wonder where this will lead him next.

Chapter 3;

Yay! You deviated somewhat from the original team and added two very scrumptious men! So glad to see Jonas again and, Quinn! Good choice for an added rescue-team member! I suspect some jealousy will be brewing... not sure how 'over' Liatrix Jonas ever was and Lana seems concerned/uneasy... dundundunnn! I'm also quite grateful you're not dragging out all the fight scenes and the escape, it was dreary enough in game. Well done!

Chapter 4;

Haha. Okay I love the bickering between Quinn and Jonas and the back and forth jabs, what a pairing! It would seem there's a bit of tension within the team... Lana and Liatrix's water run was most definitely uncomfortable it seems. And of course Jonas goes chasing straight after Liatrix despite Lana's discouragement... that's not gonna go well. Men.

Chapter 5;

Jonas... you're hot but I kind of want to punch you now. You're married and Liatrix is still coming to terms with the potential death of her own husband and her kids and you're trying to back her into a corner and rekindle an old romance? Selfish and disrespectful much? Sheesh! And that comment about how she's "free now", how callous. Grrr. Sorry, that got me wound up but safe to say it was excellently written obviously! :D

Chapter 6;

And the frost between Jonas and Lana is just becoming more apparent. I do hope they can work it out, I liked them as a pairing in Spy vs. Spy and had good hopes for them. Ahhh Hord... forgot about him for a little while, dirtbag... it sure is busy inside Liatrix. This made me snort; “Of-of course, my lord. I suppose comfort is a basic human requirement during times of illness and uncertainty, and as your physician, I suppose I must act to ensure your betterment.” Typical Quinn but yikes! Someone should have given him that anti-Liatrix vaccine thingy, he sure could use it! Darmas... interesting, he knew her mother after all didn't he? It's nice to see him woven in too, a nod back to 'Marr' and the past.

Chapter 7;

More and more characters appear... I like that the ship she stole is Andronikos'. Seems like Quinn understands her quite well on some level even if they're not that familiar with each other. Can't say I would have done anything different. Wow, Empress Nox... that'll be something, no doubt with Vow-wow by her side? Those two were a delightful pairing in Foundation, will be good to see them again. So, off to Odessen?

Chapter 8;

Oh I was right, Nox and Vow are still as delightful as ever together and I loved their chat about Jace and all they put him through, made me grin rather gleefully, nice work! Scourge is back too and he seems to be aligning himself with a devious pair... very interesting, and it's nice to find out what happened to the new Wrath. Seems like even more characters will be joining, the Smuggler? Are these your alts? I know Feravai is. Nice way to incooperate everyone.

Chapter 9;

Oof. If I thought the convo between Lana and Jonas was icy, it's nothing compared to Lia and Theron's reunion, damn. That went from uncomfortable and awkward to something that makes Hoth look like a tropical paradise. It makes sense though given all they've been through both together and separately. And now to confront Scorpio the child-napping freakazoid droid, ergh.

All in all I am thrilled to see you writing and posting again Luna and I love where this is going so far. Your creative and personal touch is making the KOTFE/KOTET story a lot more enjoyable to read about and I'm glad. Keep up the wonderful work as always!

Again, welcome back! *hugs* I've missed your presence on the forum. ^^ Thanks so much for the wonderful and insightful comments, wow you got caught up fast :D I'm glad you're enjoying the continuation of Liatrix's saga lol. And I see that you're back to writing as well. So glad to see. It feels like the forums are alive again. Thanks again for reading and for the lovely comments.

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Ten

The artificial lifeform sauntered toward the Sith, metallic arms outstretched as if offering an embrace. “I’m no mere droid, Battlemaster. I am an intelligence beyond comprehension.”

“You’re a filthy child-murdering machine,” Liatrix snarled. “A machine I intend to take apart, bolt by bolt.”

“I am of far more use to you intact. Only I can communicate with the Gravestone. Perhaps if I eliminate the negative influence from this equation, you’ll listen to my proposal.”

A jag of livid blue lightning erupted from the droid’s outstretched hand, throwing Lana into the wall behind them. Her head lolled forward and her arm twitched from the voltage coursing through it.

“Not a chance.” Liatrix gritted her teeth and lifted the droid off her feet through the Force. The sound of denting and creaking metal sent an ear curdling squeal through the penthouse. Scorpio’s chest and appendages shriveled and collapsed like drying fruit. The internal circuitry popped and fizzled.

Scorpio sputtered. “You’re a particularly irrational biological. Never let it be said that I didn’t try to be reasonable. Remember, you brought this on yourself.”

A flashing red beacon lit the room and a wailing alarm sounded within the apartment. Every holocom inside the penthouse and out came alive with Liatrix’s image. “The Outlander is at these coordinates!” Scorpio’s metallic voice announced.

Outside, the nightscape brightened suddenly with multiple, monumental rotating images of the Outlander atop every building and a trio of holonet drones swooped in toward the penthouse windows.

“You won’t leave this world alive, Battlemaster.”

“Do you think I care? You killed my children and I’ll kill you. That’s all that matters.”

Scorpio wriggled before her and with one fell swoop of Liatrix’s saber, Scorpio’s metallic legs clattered to the floor, dropping her torso on the remaining stumps. Liatrix leveled her saber at the droid’s neck, the blade fuming with dark energy.

“You’re not exactly what I expected, but close. What if I told you I didn’t murder them, Battlemaster?”

“Shut up. You think you can lie your way out of this?” Liatrix cranked her left hand hard and with the gesture,

Scorpio’s head twisted free of her shoulders and bounced to land with a thud between Liatrix’s feet.

Scorpio’s ember coloured eyes blinked as the visual sensors shorted out, but her vocal processor still taunted, “A pity your short-sightedness will prevent you from ever seeing your offspring again.”

“Lying scrap.” Liatrix summoned Scorpio’s head to hand and after identifying the wire powering the vocalizer, she tore it out to mute the machine.

She stared into the darkened powerless eyes and threw her head back and roared until she was raw and breathless.

Scorpio’s head rolled off her fingertips. She re-ignited her saber and stabbed the machine’s torso over and over until the various coolants and fluids coursing through its systems leaked out into a puddle and ignited. The heat and smoke triggered the sprinkler system, adding to the tears burning down Liatrix’s cheeks.

Despite the alarms, she remained rooted and silent. She removed a packet from one of the reticules on her belt.

With a flick of her wrist, the packet unfurled into a lightweight dura-weave backpack. She detached Scorpio’s interface hand and stuffed it and the head into the backpack.

She slung the pack over her shoulder and raced back to Lana’s side. Two fingers against the blonde’s throat indicated she was still alive.

Liatrix shook her associate’s shoulder. “Lana, c’mon. We’ve gotta go.”

“Scorpi…oh…” Lana mumbled and winced but didn’t open her eyes.

“Lana! Wake up! Let’s go!” Liatrix worked herself under Lana’s shoulder and positioned herself against the blonde’s hip to heft her up to a stand, but before she could raise her, a new presence asserted itself inside the penthouse.

Liatrix stiffened. She eased Lana back down into a slump and dropped the backpack into her lap.

“You’re not going anywhere, Outlander.” The voice was rough and deep—compelling and elegant despite its coarse timbre.

“Arcann…”

“I don’t leave my throne room for just anyone. Be honoured.” He strode toward her, paying no mind to the sprinklers raining over them.

“Don’t expect me to bow. What do you want?”

“Whatever that fool Heskal told you about my fate or yours—he’s mistaken. I forge my own destiny by making the hard choices. I know that to be true of you as well.”

“Hmph. You want to make another deal,” she scoffed, her eyes hardening.

“I’m not without mercy, Liatrix. Surrender to me. Together we’ll figure out a way to rid you of my father’s influence.”

“Do you really think I’d actually trust you again? You’d return me to carbonite and hang me over your mantle.”

“Don’t be so sure how things will end. Come with me. Your friends will be left in peace—once I’ve reclaimed the Gravestone. It belongs to the Eternal Empire.”

“And after that?”

“We have unfinished business—our destiny.”

Valkorion appeared at her side and folded his arms as he regarded his son. “Fear the snake that believes himself a dragon. My son will betray you.”

“There’s nothing to discuss, Arcann,” Liatrix snarled, her lightsaber growling to life. She advanced on him and his blade ignited in time to block hers. He threw her back and she came at him again. Their blades crossed. The sprinklers and sparks from the malfunctioning lights bloomed around them like fireworks in the rain.

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” Arcann growled.

“Yes it does,” she spat.

Blade crushed against blade they traversed the length of the penthouse and back again. The furniture tipped and tumbled, shattering to form new weapons.

Arcann pulled down a sputtering fixture and sent it at Liatrix. She ducked to avoid the massive metal bulk as it crashed through the window behind her. The chill night air ripped into the apartment and the wind whistled through the shattered glass teeth.

They stalked one another, circling, colliding, tunics fluttering in the rushing air. Arcann leapt high to come at her with a flying kick. She sidestepped his effort and watched him slide over the slick wet floor. Somehow he managed to stay on his feet. She flung her arm out, hurling him against the pilaster supporting the ceiling. It bowed and cracked from the force of his body’s impact. He shook his injuries off like a minor nuisance and straightened.

She claimed the advantage and came at him again, driving him relentlessly until he was forced to recoil at her savagery. He raised his free hand and drove her back with the Force. She collided with the room divider separating the bedrooms from the main room. She slid down the wall. He charged at her like a rabid bull nerf and she flipped onto her feet.

His amber-gold blade snarled. She parried his incoming blow and rolled, coming up to stand behind him. She slashed her blade across his back, rending his white reinforced leatheris armor to the flesh. She didn’t expect him to whirl on her and thrust. She narrowly avoided taking his blade in her gut—but a sharp pain lanced up her side and she slashed at him again, this time catching his metal arm.

“You! Don’t touch me,” he growled.

“Yeah? What are you gonna do about it?”

Their savage, elegant dance began anew, blades sizzling against each other and the drizzle from above. Out of the corner of her eye, Liatrix saw Lana struggling to stand.

“End him!” Valkorion commanded from where her shadow ought to have been.

“Your father and I are going to kill you,” she taunted.

“If he could, he would’ve by now.”

She dove at Arcann, pushing him harder and harder. He blocked her blows and once more she beat him down in the corner. He lifted his hand against her, but instead of pushing her away, he pulled her to him and drove his blade into her gut. Pressed together like lovers they glared at each other as his blade seared her insides. Her lips twisted and she gritted her teeth.

Arcann retracted his blade and pushed her away in the same motion, his face almost stricken by what he’d done.

She wasn’t sure if she imagined it, but for a moment it appeared as if his amber eye, flashed to a pale blue and then back again.

Liatrix clutched her gut and forced herself to remain on her feet.

Time slowed and Valkorion circled her. “You need me.”

She nodded almost imperceptibly and the familiar wave of black-purple energy seized her body.

“You won’t win, father. I’ll destroy you!” Arcann roared.

Jags of black-purple lightning streamed from her hand and connected with Arcann’s chest. His body soared backward and out the broken window. The holo-drones dove after him to record his descent.

Liatrix watched until he disappeared into the fog. Valkorion’s power left her as quickly as it had seized her. She dropped to her knees and collapsed. Whispers hissed in her mind until everything turned to darkness.

Koth’s voice crackled over her com. “All hell’s breaking loose, Commander…we gotta haul jets! C’mon! I’ll be at your coordinates in sixty seconds. Get ready to jump! Eternal Fleet incoming!”

Lana limped to Liatrix’s body and knelt to answer the com. “Koth—she can’t make the jump. It’s bad. Come quickly.” She reached back into her hair, blood darkening her glove. She winced and hovered over Liatrix. “What have you become?”

The shuttle rose up next to the broken window, ramp extended. Quinn emerged from the shuttle.

“She’s over here, Major. Koth, keep it steady,” Lana barked and snatched up the backpack. Her attention drifted back to Scorpio’s decimated limbs and torso, but there was nothing left to salvage.

Quinn stripped off his jacket and bundled his arm to clear away what remained of the broken glass. He climbed inside the window and after shaking out any bits of glass from his jacket, he wrapped Liatrix in it and lifted her to him, carefully maneuvering her over the window’s edge as he climbed back out. The wind whistled around him, fluttering the thin material of his undershirt and throwing his jet black hair into disarray.

Lana called after him, “Can you manage, Major?”

“Yes, my lord. I have her.”

A squad of knights and troopers clattered into the penthouse vestibule, weapons at the ready. “Open fire!” The leader of the knights commanded.

Lana dashed into the ship behind them, a hail of plasma bolts following her in and bouncing off the shuttle’s hull. The hatch came up behind her as the Zakuulan troops reached the window’s ledge.

Quinn settled Liatrix onto a hover-stretcher. He pulled his vibroblade from his belt and cut open her leatheris jerkin to gain access to her wound. “We don’t have much time,” he called up to the cockpit.

Koth pulled the shuttle up and sped off just as the Eternal fleet arrived in their peculiar formation, weapons targeting the penthouse. “What the hell happened down there?”

Lana shook her head. “A couple of unexpected surprises—the Lady of Sorrows was not what we expected. And we most certainly didn’t expect Arcann either.”

“Arcann?! Where’s he at now?”

“I think he’s dead—where’s Senya?” Lana glanced around. “Tell me you didn’t leave her behind! Koth?!”

“Hey, I had to make a choice. It was you or her.”

“You have to go back!”

Quinn shook his head. “My lord, if he does, the Commander might not survive. She requires surgery and a kolto tank.”

“You managed to bring down all of Zakuul on us and you wanna go back?” Koth barked.

Lana swallowed and looked between them. “We’re going to get Senya and we’re going to leave. Take us to her last known location.”

“She was with Vaylin on the western platform,” Koth grunted.

“Damnit, it’s never good news is it,” Lana swore. “Just do it. Do it now. We leave no one behind.”

Tee-Seven beeped his agreement.

“If everything goes to hell, just remember, it was your idea,” Koth threw back over his shoulder.

Koth brought the shuttle around in a 270-degree arc toward the western platform and dropped to an altitude low enough that the shuttle dipped and dove between buildings like an ocean bird.

The fog had grown denser and engulfed much of the platform. Only two slashes of colour were visible from afar, clashing on the rampart—one a pale blue and the other the same amber-gold as Arcann’s.

“There—they’re over there,” Lana breathed over Koth’s shoulder. “I can sense them—Senya needs our help. She won’t last much longer against Vaylin.”

“Target Vaylin and open fire?”

“No…Senya’s too close. Do a fly-by—like that time on Denon. Hopefully, we can collect Senya before Vaylin recovers.”

“She’s liable to tear our wings off if we do that.”

“It’s risky, I know, but I don’t see how we have any other choice,” Lana winced at the pain at the back of her skull. “I know you can do it, Koth.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence. Here goes nuthin...’”

The shuttle dropped into the thick of the fog and zoomed past the orange slash of light. The dark robed figure remained fixed. The yellow lightsaber soared through the fog and bounced off the shuttle’s hull.

“She’s throwing things at us, Lana.”

“Knock her off!”

“You got it.” Koth came about and dipped the starboard wing, just enough to mow Vaylin off the wall. “Direct hit!”

“Tee-Seven extend the boarding ramp half-way. Hurry!”

The astromech plugged his tool arm into the interface and cranked hard. The shuttle’s ramp buffeted across the current. The pale blue sliver of light vanished off the top of the wall and the ship gave slightly at the incoming weight.

“What took you so long?” Senya muttered between pants as she raced to the cockpit. “For a second, I thought you’d left.”

“For a second, I had,” Koth retorted. “But I’m starting to get used to your singing.”

Senya settled into an empty seat. “What happened to the Commander?”

“Arcann happened—I don’t have all the details, I was briefly incapacitated.”

“What’s the prognosis?”

“It’s not good.” Quinn barely glanced up. “I’ve been developing an experimental tissue knitting technique for just this contingency—but it is not something that can be readily performed in the field—or in our case during a high-speed escape. I require precise conditions.”

“Koth—do whatever you must to get us back to Odessen,” Lana urged. She applied kolto to the back of her head and settled next to Senya.

“Let me help you,” Senya offered and shifted closer to Lana. “There’s more to this, isn’t there. What happened to my son?”

“I think Arcann may be dead.”

Senya fell silent and dropped her gaze to her lap.

“There are holonet probes all over Zakuul—if he is dead—one of them must’ve picked up on it by now,” Koth offered.

“Tee-Seven, see if you can’t manage a link, I realize it’s asking a bit much in all this,” Lana said.

The droid warbled and set to work on establishing a holonet link.

Koth glanced back at Lana. “So what about the Gravestone? The Lady of Sorrows was supposed to provide information on how to fix ‘er.”

Lana hugged the backpack. “Scorpio—was the Lady of Sorrows. If there is information to be had, it’ll be on her CPU. It’ll take time to set up an independent system for it, but that’s the best we can do.”

“Guess I can see why the Commander took her apart.”

“I can’t blame her—even if it does set us back,” Lana murmured.

The shuttle broke free of the Zakuulan atmosphere and lurched into hyperspace.

“Can’t believe we got away from the fleet,” Koth said, exhaling a sigh of relief.

“That alone must confirm Arcann’s death. Neither he nor Vaylin were able to give the pursuit order,” Senya droned.

Tee-Seven beeped and rocked back and forth on his stabilizers.

“Well done, Tee-Seven. Show us what you’ve found,” Lana said.

The droid projected several holonet stations, all of them depicting the savage battle between him and the darkened figure belonging to the Outlander, culminating in Arcann’s fall from the penthouse.

The image swooped and blurred as the holo-drones followed Arcann during his fall. His body bounced off a series of alternating awnings, slowing his fall until he landed in a Zakuulan fountain. A pair of golden fish spat water on his head. He sputtered and raged at the air before him, taking at least one of the drones down during his tantrum.

“Arcann’s alive,” Senya mouthed. “He survived.”

Koth smirked. “And the holonet is really eating it up—it’s taking over nearly every channel—the whole universe’ll see it. It’s like fire in a gas mine.”

Lana leaned in closer to the com unit. “They don’t seem to have captured a clear visual of the Commander. Just as well I suppose.”

“That would be to her advantage—to keep her identity a secret—at least until such time as we’ve accumulated sufficient forces to challenge the Eternal Empire,” Quinn said.

“Well, this broadcast should help with recruitment. Now they’ll see that Arcann is not untouchable.”

“If she survives…” Quinn whispered. He glanced over his shoulder at the group collected around the holonet display, every set of eyes glued to the transmission. He set his hand over Liatrix’s and gave it a squeeze. “A little longer, my lord. That’s all I ask,” he whispered.

The whorls of blue surrounding the shuttle thinned as they jetted out of hyperspace. “It’s good to be back,” Koth announced and took the shuttle down to Odessen’s surface.

Theron sauntered out of the base to meet the incoming shuttle. The thrusters powered down and landing gear popped as they set down on the landing pad.

The hatch opened and the boarding ramp extended. Quinn deplaned first, carefully steering the hover-stretcher down the ramp. A coarse weave blanket covered Liatrix to the hips and a kolto pack had been taped in place over her abdomen to keep pressure. A field IV hung over the stretcher from a durasteel hook. Dark circles shadowed her lashes and all colour had faded from her cheeks.

Theron’s eyes widened and his mouth dropped open. Quinn strode past him, quickening his pace toward the infirmary. Theron pursued Quinn, half jogging to catch up. “What happened? Is she gonna be all right?”

“There’s no time. Excuse me, agent,” Quinn snapped and continued inside.

Lana caught Theron’s arm. “She needs emergency surgery. Let them be.”

Theron raked his hand through his hair and stopped midway as realization and worry settled in. His eyes took on distance as if he were suddenly somewhere else—in another time and place. He swallowed. “What happened? Who did this to her?”

“Arcann was there—she defeated him, but not before he impaled her with his lightsaber.”

“She’s gonna live. Right? Tell me she’s gonna live, Lana.”

“I’m sorry, Theron, I can’t make any guarantees, but I believe the Major will do all he can.”

“I need to be with her.”

“No, Theron. You need to let the Major work in peace. And there is much to do,” she thrust the backpack at Theron.

He frowned and peered inside at the droid head and metallic hand. “What’s this?”

“Scorpio’s remains.”

“What the—Scorpio?”

“She was the Lady of Sorrows. I’ll explain later. For now, we need to set up an independent system and unravel her CPU for every crumb of information we can get. The sooner we have the Gravestone at maximum capabilities the better. We can’t risk contaminating our systems, this needs to be completely independent.”

“I can’t even imagine what she must’ve gone through seeing that damn droid…”

“If it’s any consolation…the commander is nothing if not thorough—that’s all that’s left,” Lana said, nodding at the pack.

Theron nodded and trudged into the command center.

Theron tossed his data pad aside and rubbed his eyes. “We’ve been at this for hours. Gonna call it a night.”

Lana nodded. “I think that would be wise. I’ll do the same. We’ll start fresh in the morning.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose to soothe the throbbing in his head. “Has there been any word?”

“As a matter of fact, yes. Major Quinn informed me that the procedure was a success. She’s stable and should recover fully in a few days.”

Theron blew out a deep breath and shuffled out of the headquarters. The night air felt good on his face. He kneaded the back of his neck until something popped. The sky was black-purple and clear enough to show every constellation in detail.

A meteorite shot across the sky, burning out just before meeting the horizon. His lip crept up and he strayed toward the infirmary. He’d stay only a minute, he promised himself.

The room was dim. She slept, with her arms at her sides with her head tipped toward her left shoulder. He sank into the chair by her bed and hunkered over the metal side bar to watch her.

She snored softly and he smirked. Some things never changed. Keeping his head up turned into a burden and he rested his chin on his arms and yawned. He traced the outer edge of her left hand with the tip of his index finger and fell asleep before he could take it back.

A lithe pale figure slipped into the Lady of Sorrow’s penthouse on Zakuul. She drew her blaster and shifted along, wall to wall like a shadow. Something shiny and metallic on the floor caught her eye and she strode toward it.

Moon pale eyes sparkled and dark lips quirked upward as she gave the torso a kick with her steel-tipped boot.

“Should’ve called dibs on the head. Hah. Not so smart now, are ya? You mighta had the brains, but I’ve got the brass,” she taunted as she pulled out a can of spray paint to leave her mark.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Hmmm demolishing Scorpio, always wanted to do that, nice moves Lia. I'd argue she really should have heard Scorpio out first but then again, I doubt she would have felt inclined to believe a single word even if she was speaking the truth. Nasty droid, or scrap pile now... I'm hoping Scorpio's CPU might have unexpected information about the children.

I enjoyed the confrontation with Arcann and the depth you added to the encounter. His reaction to striking her the way he did was really interesting and I'm curious to see what you'll be doing to him.

The group dynamic, despite everyone's vastly different background is really enjoyable. Quinn appears to be doting on Liatrix a lot, there's a personal air to his natural fussing. And Theron... try as he might, I don't see him capable of maintaining his distance for long, pretty sure deep down he wanted to climb into bed next to her and just hold her until all is well.

Ahh Kaliyo... go away, pest. :D

Wonderful chapter Luna, thank you!

Huh, Scorpio a piece of scrap, serves her right considering all the havoc she had caused. Of course she may have had information but why would Lia believe a word? It should be interesting to see of any information can be gleaned from her innards.

A nice breadcrumb with Arcann's reaction to gutting Lia, it will be intriguing to see how this plays out.

I see trouble on the horizon for our lovely Major Quinn. His resolve and stiff upper lip may be tested at some point. Perhaps a tiff or two with Agent Shan before it's all over. We'll see.

And it seems our imperturbable agent may not be as stoic as he'd like to pretend. Ah, Theron, hard shell and soft gooey center.

And Kaliyo, yeah, could have gone a lifetime without seeing her, but I suppose she has a place somewhere in the story.

Great read. :)

Watch it Jenny! That's one of my Waifus you're trashing! XD Don't get me started on Theron, or we'll be here all day! :p

And Kaliyo, yeah, could have gone a lifetime without seeing her, but I suppose she has a place somewhere in the story.

Not you too! Leave Kali alone, she's just a harmless little Kuudere!

Ah, Theron, hard shell and soft gooey center.

Yes he's quite the Tsundere, he gets it from his mother. ;)

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

Hmmm demolishing Scorpio, always wanted to do that, nice moves Lia. I'd argue she really should have heard Scorpio out first but then again, I doubt she would have felt inclined to believe a single word even if she was speaking the truth. Nasty droid, or scrap pile now... I'm hoping Scorpio's CPU might have unexpected information about the children.

I enjoyed the confrontation with Arcann and the depth you added to the encounter. His reaction to striking her the way he did was really interesting and I'm curious to see what you'll be doing to him.

The group dynamic, despite everyone's vastly different background is really enjoyable. Quinn appears to be doting on Liatrix a lot, there's a personal air to his natural fussing. And Theron... try as he might, I don't see him capable of maintaining his distance for long, pretty sure deep down he wanted to climb into bed next to her and just hold her until all is well.

Wonderful chapter Luna, thank you!

I think killing Scorpio would have made a lot of sense not just in KotFE/KoTET but also in the agent's story. My agent would never have allowed that thing on board her ship and my Outlander...given her situation was not letting that thing live, let alone come and 'help'. I'm glad it was satisfying to see her die finally :D Her CPU might have a few interesting revelations on it.

I'm also glad that you enjoyed the encounter with Arcann. :) I think the group I put together for the rescue worked out pretty well, so I'm quite happy about that. Hopefully there will be some interesting times ahead for Quinn and Theron. As for Kaliyo, well, I don't foresee her having a huge part...and when I look at my body count over the stories, only 3 of the Agent's companions still live. For now. Thanks for reading, and for the lovely comment, it means a lot to me. ^^

Huh, Scorpio a piece of scrap, serves her right considering all the havoc she had caused. Of course she may have had information but why would Lia believe a word? It should be interesting to see of any information can be gleaned from her innards.

A nice breadcrumb with Arcann's reaction to gutting Lia, it will be intriguing to see how this plays out.

I see trouble on the horizon for our lovely Major Quinn. His resolve and stiff upper lip may be tested at some point. Perhaps a tiff or two with Agent Shan before it's all over. We'll see.

And it seems our imperturbable agent may not be as stoic as he'd like to pretend. Ah, Theron, hard shell and soft gooey center.

Great read. :)

Scorpio had it coming and as I was saying to Jenny, in my books, Scorpio would've died ages ago. There was no way she was going to talk her way out of this, not with Liatrix. :) I'm hoping there will be some interesting times ahead for Quinn and Theron and even Arcann. I agree with you about Kaliyo, I hate her guts too, but I suppose, she'll serve her purpose. Thanks again for reading and for the kind and helpful comments! Much appreciated. ^^

Watch it Jenny! That's one of my Waifus you're trashing! XD Don't get me started on Theron, or we'll be here all day! :p

Not you too! Leave Kali alone, she's just a harmless little Kuudere!

Yes he's quite the Tsundere, he gets it from his mother. ;)

Guess you're not so Yandere with my story then eh? Comments for comments, but nothing about the story. I see you're practicing your japanese story terms huh. :)

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Eleven

Darmas Pollaran swirled the dregs of his Sonic Screwdriver as he reached under the table for the blaster hidden there.

The bouncer had locked up no less than ten minutes ago and boarded a cab with a pack of the cantina’s exhausted dancers. The neon lights lining the main thoroughfare of the Corellian Sector on Nar Shaddaa shed their colourful glow on the now deserted sector.

The purple neon skirting the VIP section of the Stars End Cantina was the only source of light inside the bar. One section flickered in a too-even rhythm before winking out. The last strains of ‘That Slippery Little Hutt of Mine’ wound down on the jukebox, until all Darmas could hear was the crackle of the ice cubes fading in his glass.

He glanced up with hardened green eyes, following the dim neon to the mirrors surrounding the bar. A vibration tinkled the bottles lining the shelves. His index finger curled around the blaster’s trigger and the corner of his mouth edged up.

“If you’re here to rob me of my winnings, do it like a man and play me for it. I’ll cut,” he called out, needling the intruder.

Jonas Balkar emerged from his hiding place and flicked on the overhead lights in Darmas’s section. “I’m not here to play games, Pollaran.”

“Then grab a bottle of that low rent swill you like and join me.”

Darmas retracted his hand from under the table and topped up his drink. His gaze followed Jonas as he rounded the bar. His left hand was curled around the neck of the kri’gee bottle while two fingers pinched a tumbler between them. His pistol hand remained free.

“Long time—figured you’d show up eventually,” Darmas drawled and took a swig of his drink.

Jonas slid into the booth across from his contact. “Last I heard you were heading for a lengthy stay on Belsavis.”

“You didn’t think they’d actually hold me, did you?” Darmas muttered over the rim of his glass. “Some things are worth more than credits to the right people. Even managed to earn myself a new start here.”

Jonas poured two fingers of kri’gee. “You’ve got friends in high places.”

“I’ve got dirt on people in high places you mean. Still naïve as ever, m’boy.”

“I prefer—honourable, if it’s all the same,” Jonas grumbled.

“There’s no honour in what we do—we’re all little more than womprats in a woodpile.”

“That’s about what I’d expect from a sack of filth like you.”

“Now is that any way to talk to your father?” Darmas smirked and crunched the remnants of the ice cube in his mouth.

“You’re right. This is how I should talk to you.” Jonas drew his pistol and leveled it between Darmas’s eyes. “My mother’s dead because of you. I should’ve done this a long time ago.”

“You didn’t then and you won’t now. The muja fruit didn’t fall far from the tree did it?” Darmas curled his hand over the pistol’s muzzle and forced it down.

Jonas recoiled. “She trusted you, loved you—how you could do that to her? And to me? I was just a kid.”

“A kid too nosy for his own good. Once your mother confided to me where the terrorists were, it was all over.”

“You didn’t have to kill her—or the dissidents.”

“That was the job. She was a means to an end, nothing more. The job always does your feeling for you. Piece of fatherly advice? Don’t get attached. The day always comes when you have to let go, one way or another. You’d have done the same thing.”

“Like hell I would.”

“One day you’ll see what I mean—or maybe you have already?” Darmas nodded toward the band of white flesh at the base of Jonas’s ring finger. “I see married life isn’t agreeing with you?”

“That’s none of your damn business.”

“Sure it is. Gutsy move on your part, marrying a Sith—even though she barely qualifies. Have to wonder what was in Marr’s head to put her in charge of Imperial Intelligence. She’s been played more times than this deck.” Darmas tapped the stack of cards to his right.

“Shut your mouth. You don’t know her.”

“Neither do you. You figure Marr had a seasoned Cipher in his stable, one that had gone toe to toe with the best of the Sith and he picks Beniko because she can do a little Force mumbo jumbo?” He wriggled his fingers like a magician casting a spell. “The woman couldn’t spot a mole if it was on her face.”

Jonas dove over the table and snatched him up by the collar. “That’s my wife you’re talking about.”

Ex-wife.”

“We’re on a break, that’s all.” Jonas released Darmas and shoved him back against the padded backrest in one gesture.

“She’s not your type—a rebound? I think so.”

“Stop acting like you know me.”

“We’re more alike than you’d care to admit.”

“The hell we are.”

“Come come now, m’boy. I see the signs—you’ve been killing yourself for years now. Nights spent hunched over a bottle, a deathstick habit you hope no one notices—even those expensive Huttese cigars you can’t afford—nice diversions until you realize they don’t work. You figured marriage would fill the void, but no dice. I almost feel sorry for her.”

“Are you done?” Jonas snapped.

“Put it this way—if your wife had any talent for intelligence work, she’d have run the other way the moment she laid eyes on you.”

Jonas scowled. “You think you’re so damn good at this.”

“I am good. Humour your old man—let’s see what she looks like.”

“You’ve talked to Lana on the holo. She told me.”

“Not her.”

Jonas downed his drink in one gulp. “You must think I’m an idiot.”

“Look at me. You think this is what I had in mind when I was your age? Living in a cantina, parting fools from their credits? Biding my time ‘til the real currency comes in? Don’t end up like me.”

“Ah, the cautionary tale,” Jonas nodded. “You must want something pretty bad to start playing Dad at your age.”

Darmas twisted his glass between his hands. Jonas recognized the inherited gesture and frowned into his tumbler.

“I’m curious—why didn’t you tell your wife about me?”

“You’re nothing to me, why would I?”

“Fair enough,” Darmas sighed. “Look, I’ve made mistakes—but saving you wasn’t one of them. If that’s all you take away from our chat, I’ll be satisfied.”

“You would’ve blown that freighter regardless of whether I was on board or not—the job—that’s all that’s ever mattered to you. That’s what this is, isn’t it? You want back in the Empire. You think you can use Lana to stage a comeback.”

“I’ve spent thirty-seven years in the Republic—practically as long as you’ve been alive. I don’t even sound Imperial anymore, there’s no going back for me, but I’d like to fix things, I’m not getting any younger. Ask yourself, how I know your demons so well—it’s because I’ve been on a first name basis with the same ones for years.”

“You’ll forgive me if I’m skeptical.”

“Just think about it—see if you can find it in yourself to give your old man another chance.”

Jonas refilled his glass and threw it back. “I have my reasons for being here and you were never one of them.”

“Ah yes, on to the reason for your visit then. You’re here to find the infamous Dr. Kimble and his lovely wife. Or shall I say, Master Kira.”

Jonas choked on his drink. “They got married?”

“Oh, it’s not common knowledge of course, but what sort of information broker would I be, if I didn’t know what was happening right under my nose? They’ve got a kid too, about yay high,” Darmas held his hand about a meter above the floor.

Jonas’s brows met pensively. “You might be right about Lana—there’s no way this is a good idea.”

“And another petal to the mystery unfurls,” Darmas drawled over his glass.

“Yeah, whatever. Do you know where they are?”

“Of course. Master Kira—continues to cling to the Jedi way and is helping the less fortunate. She protects them, keeps them clothed and fed—sees to it they get free medical. Pretty sweet gig for Nar Shaddaa’s most unwanted.”

“Makes sense she’d go back to her roots, they took her in as a kid. What about Kimble?”

“That’s where things get a little complicated.”

Jonas rolled his eyes and sighed. “Figures. What’s his deal?”

“Good deeds don’t come cheap. Someone has to foot the bill.”

“Let me guess—whatever he’s into isn’t legal.”

“There may be hope for you yet, m’boy.”

“I’ll have you know I was this close to being Assistant Director of the SIS.” Jonas pinched the air for effect.

“The SIS is not Imperial Intelligence. My point still stands. I take it you’ve heard of the Face Merchants?”

“I thought they were shut down years ago.”

“On Coruscant—but they too, believe in fresh starts. You didn’t think the Black Sun would give up just because they were caught?”

“Farking idiot. He’s in deep isn’t he?”

“You don’t get much deeper, that’s for sure. He’s swapping faces faster than Rodians lose at Pazaak and making a fortune off thugs and kingpins alike. I’d actually considered seeing him myself—but why mess with perfection?”

“Why indeed?” Jonas said, his voice stony.

Darmas swirled his drink. “If you want my advice, I suggest you start with the Missus. Figure out how you’re gonna cut loose those lost souls she keeps as pets. I doubt she’ll leave them willingly.”

“She might if she knew what her worse half is up to.”

“People see what they want. She’s probably gotten good at rationalizing over the years. I’d spin the guilt angle myself—make her see this is no place for a kid to grow up. If that doesn’t work—you could stage an abduction to drive the point home—and while the tyke and his mother are away, a well-placed thermal detonator would take care of the rest of the problem.”

“Stay out of it,” Jonas barked. “I’ll handle it—my way.”

“When will you learn? Asking nicely doesn’t work.”

“Killing innocent people isn’t the answer either. What the hell was Lana even thinking coming to you?”

“You’ll find my information is accurate and my suggestions while unpalatable to you, are effective. My informants tell me Master Kira was last seen near the High-Security Lockdown, in the Alien Outreach Center—your friends in the SIS post there might be of use if things get dicey.”

“I just want to know one thing. What are you getting out of this? You’re not doing it out of the goodness of your heart…you’d actually need one for that.”

“Your wife has quite the list of people she wants found and believes she’ll be compensating me with an adequate amount of credits, but I assure you, my endgame is far more valuable than money—it’s you.”

“You’ll pardon me if I don’t find that comforting.”

“I hope this isn’t the last we’ll be seeing of each other, m’boy. Got a place to stay?”

Jonas nodded. “Yeah. I’m sure you know where.”

“Y’know, that’s your greatest flaw—you get attached—to people, places. Stop being sentimental. Take my advice. Get out of that three-room hovel and get a new place. Start fresh. I guarantee that’s what your mother would’ve wanted.”

Jonas finished his drink and sprang out of the booth. “I got what I came for, party’s over.”

“You know where to find me when asking nice doesn’t work out,” Darmas sipped the last of his drink. “Keep the bottle.”

Jonas left the bottle on the table out of spite and left the way he came. On the roof of the cantina, he took in Nar Shadaa’s gaudy cityscape. The artificially generated breeze carried the smell of exhaust, flat beer, and premium deathsticks and then he saw the source. A party barge drifted past, and the retro hit from the band Eloo and the Stinky 7 blared through the gyrating bodies on board.

The song took him back to the night he and Lana barely escaped Acina’s death squad. They’d holed up in his safehouse and worked together on a way to free Theron from his captors. His lip crept up with the memory. He climbed down a fire escape and dropped into the alley below.

The lingering smell of booze and deathsticks haunted him and his attention landed on an after-hours club he knew well. He’d been down that road enough times to know it would end on a cloud-soft bed with too many limbs draped over his body and his mind dulled with a stupid joy that would fade too quickly. His gaze fell on the white flesh where his wedding ring had been and Lana’s last words to him whispered in his mind.

Think kindly of me while you’re away.

He turned his back on the club and retrieved his speeder bike from behind the dumpster and sped off toward the safe house.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

I am with Jonas, although it was only coffee I've been choking on :D

Some interesting connections you're introducing here.

Darmas is just another way to spell trouble, and I feel like Jonas may have inherited some of this feature.

I like the end and wonder if there is still hope for Jonas.

Looking forward to see where you're taking us, and especially to meeting Kira and Doc again. A lot of companions have been gone for far too long now.

Darmas is Jonas' father!!! :eek: I half choked on my coffee reading that but what a genius move on your part Luna! Oh how perfect. If only Jonas had shown him Liatrix's picture, that might have triggered interesting conversation.

I found myself chuckling at Darmas' opinion of Lana, he's not entirely wrong and it was quite amusing to finally hear someone say it. Loved the little nod at Cipher 9 (I assume) and how silly it was Lana was promoted over Cipher, too (sorry Marr, love you but grr ;) ). Figures Doc's up to his old unsavory tricks in order to get things done, will he ever learn? Nice touch on Kira's companion story, returning her to Nar Shaddaa.

Looking forward to further father & son interactions and what other snippets of unexpected information will surface.

Lovely chapter Luna, very enjoyable. :)

Well, now. Wasn't that a kick in the nads. Darmas as Jonas's daddy, a very enjoyable twist.

I loved the entire conversation: disillusioned son, distant father, Jonas trying to atone for his father's sins by trying to do right and not always succeeding. Jonas and Theron have a lot in common where parents are concerned. No wonder they get along so well.

I love the fact that Darmas pulls no punches and hits the nail on the head where Lana is concerned. Why her as head of Sith Intel and was she really a rebound? Food for thought for Jonas, it may help screw his head on right or screw him over completely. I agree with Jenny, that had Jonas shown Darmas Liatrix's picture, that would have opened up a whole other can of worms.

It will be nice to see Kira and Doc again, seems Doc is in deep poodoo, but when isn't he?

Thoroughly enjoyable. You do good dialogue, and this was some of your best. :)

I am with Jonas, although it was only coffee I've been choking on :D

Some interesting connections you're introducing here.

Darmas is just another way to spell trouble, and I feel like Jonas may have inherited some of this feature.

I like the end and wonder if there is still hope for Jonas.

Looking forward to see where you're taking us, and especially to meeting Kira and Doc again. A lot of companions have been gone for far too long now.

He hee, thanks :D When I was writing Marr, I really got into thinking about Darmas, even though he played only a small part and some of what came to me stuck and I've been holding onto it all this time. Darmas and Jonas are really like mirror opposites of each other and Jonas inherited a lot of his father's ways of coping and his tastes. Like you say, it should be fun to revisit some of the companions still away. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment! ^^

Darmas is Jonas' father!!! :eek: I half choked on my coffee reading that but what a genius move on your part Luna! Oh how perfect. If only Jonas had shown him Liatrix's picture, that might have triggered interesting conversation.

I found myself chuckling at Darmas' opinion of Lana, he's not entirely wrong and it was quite amusing to finally hear someone say it. Loved the little nod at Cipher 9 (I assume) and how silly it was Lana was promoted over Cipher, too (sorry Marr, love you but grr ;) ). Figures Doc's up to his old unsavory tricks in order to get things done, will he ever learn? Nice touch on Kira's companion story, returning her to Nar Shaddaa.

Looking forward to further father & son interactions and what other snippets of unexpected information will surface.

Lovely chapter Luna, very enjoyable. :)

Surprise :D Glad you liked it. Anytime I can make someone sputter their coffee, is a good thing lol. It had occurred to me to show the picture like you guys mentioned (you guys know me too well lol) but at the same time, Jonas isn't in a place where he trusts Darmas enough to show him something that is important to him. When it comes to meaningful stuff, Jonas does play his cards pretty close to his chest, it will take Darmas time and effort to grow close enough for that.

Darmas is a pretty astute judge of character, it's probably his sharpest quality next to his ability with cards and charming women. I agree that appointing Lana over Cipher wasn't Marr's best decision. As for Doc and Kira, I see them as not straying too far from what they know in times of trouble. I can see them both walking the line of what's right, neither are perfectly honest arrows. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment! ^^

Well, now. Wasn't that a kick in the nads. Darmas as Jonas's daddy, a very enjoyable twist.

I loved the entire conversation: disillusioned son, distant father, Jonas trying to atone for his father's sins by trying to do right and not always succeeding. Jonas and Theron have a lot in common where parents are concerned. No wonder they get along so well.

I love the fact that Darmas pulls no punches and hits the nail on the head where Lana is concerned. Why her as head of Sith Intel and was she really a rebound? Food for thought for Jonas, it may help screw his head on right or screw him over completely. I agree with Jenny, that had Jonas shown Darmas Liatrix's picture, that would have opened up a whole other can of worms.

It will be nice to see Kira and Doc again, seems Doc is in deep poodoo, but when isn't he?

Thoroughly enjoyable. You do good dialogue, and this was some of your best. :)

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the little twist there, I've been sitting on that for quite a while. Feels good to finally let it out of the bag. :D I'm glad I was able to realistically capture the disfunction between father and son. I figured that Theron and Jonas would have parental issues, and that would help drive the bond between them. Darmas is sharp as hell and he's right about a lot of things, he's very astute. Whether Lana is truly a rebound though, I don't think Jonas would see it that way, but technically she is. Despite the inoculation Jonas got, I think there might've been really something there, he refuses to let go of it (which vexes me a little bit, but characters, you gotta let them do their thing). At this point, it could go either way, but Darmas will make Jonas think, he's already having an effect.

Like I said to Jenny, I think you guys know me too well, lol. I had considered the picture thing, but decided that Jonas wouldn't trust his father so easily, not yet, not after what happened between them, Jonas would be more protective of something important to him, he doesn't readily share his personal things. I figure Kira and Doc would continue being themselves, except maybe circumstances might have darkened their outlook a little, made them less idealistic.

I'm very happy that you enjoyed the dialogue, it went through a lot of revision to get it just so, part of the reason why this chapter was a relatively short one...the rest of it was just a tough week mentally, depression is a weird thing, some weeks are harder than others. Thanks so much for reading and for the lovely comment! ^^

I'm outdone by all the other great comments, but enjoyed this very much! What a hoot for Darmas to be Jonas' Father! Loved it!:)

Just wanted you to know I'm still here and still reading;-)

Hiya! :D I'm happy to know that you're still here and reading, I did wonder if the story took a turn you didn't enjoy and if you were still with me. I'm glad to know you are! I'm very happy that you liked the little twist, and I hope you continue to enjoy the chapters ahead. Thanks for reading and commenting! ^^

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Twelve

Malavai Quinn had made a grave miscalculation and he needed to clear his mind. Most of all, he needed privacy. With each moment his impatience grew and it was beginning to boil over, scalding anyone within earshot. A solution had to be found and found quickly.

The lack of a landing pad and loading docks on the south-western side of the Odessen base meant it would most likely be deserted—mercifully so.

He passed the troops as they ran their daily drills with barely an upward glance. The further south-west he moved, the quieter the base became. Stacks of storage crates flanked the open hangar door and the forklift sat still and silent in its corner.

The air outside was crisp and curative and yet he had to remind himself to breathe deeply to savor its benefit. The deck vibrated under his boots and he could see mounds of mossy stones beneath the honeycombed durasteel.

The deck was high enough off the ground that it seemed he walked among the tips of the giant, dark, evergreens.

Relaxation never came easily to him. Even when he was alone, he caught himself standing at attention, hands clasped behind his back as if he were about to address the troops. It was imperative that he maintain decorum to serve as an example for the enlisted men and volunteers alike. Early on, he’d learned to behave as if his betters were present—there was always the possibility that one of them might be watching from some unseen vantage point.

With some effort, he unlaced his fingertips and gripped the railing in front of him. Light and shadow dappled the man-sized ferns lining the river bank and the burbling song of the water wove a path through his consciousness, carrying him to places and people he longed for. His hands tightened around the railing when familiar images were replaced by new ones.

The scent of cedar and spruce gave way to the comforting fragrance of starched uniforms and the cool clime of Balmorran lake country. Had the air changed, or was he merely imagining it? If that wasn’t enough, the sensation of being watched dogged him until he felt compelled to turn around to confirm his solitude—and when he received his answer, he stood a little straighter.

“My lord.”

“There you are,” Liatrix mock-scolded him. “Do you know I’ve been looking all over for you?”

“My Lord, forgive me, I wasn’t aware that you had need of me.”

The stern expression she tried for gave way to a playful smile. “Relax, I’m teasing.” Something in his expression suggested he wasn’t amused. “I’m sorry. I’m intruding, aren’t I?”

“Of course not.” He successfully fought the smile that threatened to form but couldn’t stop his heart from racing. The closer she came, the louder and faster the beat hammered. “What can I do for you, my Lord?”

“On days like these, we should hold briefings outside,” she suggested as she approached.

“I suppose the equipment could be fitted with battery packs and made portable. I’ll look into it, my lord.”

“I was kidding—wow, you’re serious today.”

“Duty demands that I endeavor to be serious every day, my lord.”

She fidgeted with the elongated leatheris box in her hands, the package bound by a simple red ribbon. “I know.”

“Clearly, something is on your mind—if I can be of any assistance…”

“Nothing like that. I just—I wanted to thank you,” she said, hesitating. “You’re the reason I’m alive—so I got you something—I hope you like it.” She thrust the package at him and fell quiet, unable to look away once their eyes met.

“My lord, I don’t know what to say.” His thumbs skimmed the supple leather and the slight parting of his lips suggested he was at a loss.

“Go ahead. Open it. I wanted to do this sooner, but with the new recruits and missions, time got away from me.”

He tugged the ribbon apart and cracked open the box. “My lord—I am overwhelmed,” he breathed. “Does this mean…”

“It means, that I’d like it if you served as my General—High General as a matter of fact.”

“I would be honoured.”

She nodded at the insignia plate nestled inside the box. “May I?”

“Of course, my lord.”

She removed the Alliance Insignia plate and pinned it on the left side of his uniform. She smoothed the red and blue bars until they lay flat. Her fingertips lingered on his chest as she kissed his cheek. “Congratulations, General Quinn.”

“I’m humbled. Thank you, my lord.”

“It’s not as personal as I would’ve liked—a rank doesn’t quite convey the depth of my gratitude, but I hope you’ll like it all the same.”

“Service is its own reward,” he said in a muted voice. His cheeks burned and he drew away from her, once more turning his focus to the river.

She peered up at him and smiled and the joy he felt in that moment troubled him. She leaned against the railing to face him. “I was hoping we could celebrate with dinner, tonight? If you’re free?”

“Just you and I?” He said, voice quavering.

“Yes, unless you’d rather have a party?”

“Perhaps that would be for the best. I require no such festivity—the promotion is meaningful enough, but an informal gathering might serve to boost morale.” His brows met and he lowered his gaze.

“What’s wrong?”

“I—nothing is wrong, my lord.”

“We’ve been friends long enough that I can see when something is upsetting you. Tell me.” She cupped her hand over his and gave it a squeeze.

His gaze alighted on the point of contact. Her skin was warm and soft and he wondered how it would feel in other places. “No—yes—no, I mean—you’ve…you consider us to be friends?” He stammered.

“Yes Malavai, I hope it’s all right to call you that when we’re alone?”

“If you wish, my lord.”

“Liatrix, please. Now tell me, what’s the matter?”

“I can’t—it’s of a personal nature.”

“Well, now you have me intrigued,” she chirped. “Is someone bothering you? It’s Jorgan, isn’t it? Well not to worry, I’ll make sure he’s Bey’wan Aygo’s problem from now on.”

“He’s willful and contrary, but no, he’s not the problem.”

“Tora? Or is it Len? No—I know. It’s Koth, the way he goes on about Valkorion,” she said with a revolted hiss at the back of her throat.

He shook his head.

“If not them, then who?” She chuckled. “Don’t make me go through the whole roster. Whoever, or whatever it is, we can fix it.”

“My lord…permission to speak freely?”

“Always.”

“The problem—well—it’s you,” he whispered.

Me? I don’t understand.”

“You—you fluster me. I find myself distracted. It’s affecting how I should think about things—things I was certain of and now I question them. I think about you far more often than I should,” he rambled. “Forgive me.”

“There’s nothing to forgive. I think about you too,” she confessed.

“You do?” He asked, his voice shaky.

“Is that so terrible?”

“No—I mean, yes. My lord—it can’t go on.”

“Because of your wife.”

He nodded, his shoulders falling. “I promised I’d never again betray her. I told you about Baras and how my misplaced loyalty to him nearly cost me everything that mattered.”

“I remember,” she said. “It was a terrible time for you.”

“What I did—was unforgivable and yet she forgave me. I didn’t expect that and I most certainly didn’t deserve it. In return, I vowed to spend the rest of my days atoning, but I never had enough time—she’ll never know the lengths I was prepared to go for her.”

“I think she probably had a pretty good idea.” Liatrix drew a deep breath. “Which makes what I’m about to ask—awful—but…what if she’s gone? Five years is a long time—surely she would have found her way back to you by now?

“It’s a grim possibility I haven’t cared to dwell upon—but I can’t deny it’s a possibility. She was utterly devoted and persistent—she wouldn’t have given up—”

“Unless it was beyond her control.”

“Yes.”

“She sounds like an amazing woman.”

“She was—she shares your passion for living—you’re quite alike in that regard.”

“If that’s the case, I doubt she would’ve wanted you to stop living.”

“I suppose not—she would’ve considered that a waste.”

“I’ve been guilty of the same thing in a way, because of Valkorion. By not living my life the way I want, I’m letting him win and that’s the last thing I want to do.”

“You’re concerned he’ll hurt those close to you.”

“Yeah…I’m tired of living on his terms. None of us knows how much time we have. Is it so wrong to want to make the most of it?”

“No, my lord.”

“I like spending time with you, Malavai.”

“I can’t deny that I’ve grown to enjoy your company as well—Liatrix.” He smiled. “Calling you by name seems so foreign to me.”

“Don’t let it be. I have a confession—whenever you say ‘my lord’ I keep expecting to turn around and find my father standing there.”

“I respected Darth Marr. He struck me as the wisest of the Dark Council and his loss was felt most deeply throughout the Empire.”

“I still wish I could talk to him. It’s unfair. Just when I got him back…he was taken from me. I’d give anything to talk to him again…but instead, I get stuck with Valkorion.” Her voice grew small and cracked and a glossy heat blurred her eyes. “I’m sorry, I should go.”

“Please don’t.” His fingers closed around her wrist lightly—just enough to keep her from leaving his side. “Forgive me, my lord,” he whispered and drew her into his arms.

“For what?”

“This.” His mouth covered hers and he relished the soft warmth of her lips as she responded. His hands moved up to frame her face and her fingertips brushed his wrists as they came up to rest on his hands. His kisses were soft at first but grew deeper and more insistent and she seemed to dissolve against him until it was difficult to know where one began and the other ended.

She moaned into his mouth and he shifted his body closer to hers until his right leg was trapped between hers. The gesture was intimate and bold and in this moment he didn’t care what damnation might result from it. Her mouth was hot and sweet and the more he tasted, the greedier his appetite became.

The grinding sound of the freight elevator as it descended behind them sounded closer than it was and a current of guilt seized him. He forced himself away from her, breathless and fervent as he imagined claiming her there and then. His pulse pounded in his ears and a mindless glee clutched him.

She stared at him as if his kiss had stolen away thought and words and the galaxy around them.

The elevator caught the corner of his eye and something about it vexed him. “You’ve given me much to think about, my lord. Excuse me—I must go. I can’t—”

He didn’t wait for a word or a dismissal. He strode into the base, not daring to look back at her. For the first time in his life, he understood what it was a fledgling galaxy experienced when confronted with the all-consuming depths of a nova.

The further he escaped into the base, the more reality began to close in around him. A briefing at 15:00 demanded preparations. New calculations needed to be made and somewhere in between the streams of formulae, he realized the freight elevator had been empty and the question of why or who would send down an empty elevator irked him.

The war room lay ahead. He buried himself in his datapad just as an answer came to him—the elevator was meant as an interruption and before he could consider the culprit of such a machination, a shadow fell over his path, followed by the source of that shadow—Theron Shan.

“Got a minute?” Theron began. “You and I—we need to have a little chat.”

“As a matter of fact, Agent, I don’t. I need to prepare for the briefing—there’s no time.”

Make time,” Theron growled.

They veered away from the war room until they ended up in the vacant infirmary. Theron shut the door behind him and crossed his arms.

“Now what’s this about, I don’t have all day,” Quinn barked.

“Professional courtesy, nothing more. I take it you’re aware of the Commander’s enhanced genetic structure?”

“I’ve no idea what you’re getting at, Agent.”

“What I’m getting at is that she has adaptive pheromones—like the Zeltron, the Falleen…in other words, she gives off pheromones that serve to attract those she’s close to. The more time you spend with her, the more profound the effect.”

“I beg your pardon? Surely you’re not implying—and if you are, that’s none of your business.”

“Lana mentioned your dedication to finding your wife, you’ve been searching for her for years and you’ve endured hardships and plenty of humiliation in that process.”

“Though I fail to see how it’s your concern that is an accurate assessment.”

“Until now, right?”

“I refuse to dignify that with a response.”

“Fine, whatever. Like I said, this is a professional courtesy, nothing more. I’d hate to see you throw away all you’ve done to find your wife. Your feelings for the Commander, whether you want to acknowledge them or not, aren’t real.”

“You can’t know that.”

“I do, actually. Long story short, a few years back the Commander had a near fatal reaction to a dart laced with Santherian Tenho root compounds. In high enough dosages, it’s fatal to anyone with adaptive pheromones. This isn’t common knowledge, but it’s no less true.”

“You expect me to believe your interference—this professional courtesy of yours to be completely altruistic, but I suspect there is more to it. You have ulterior motives where the Commander is concerned.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“You sent the freight elevator down, didn’t you?”

Theron scowled.

“No need to reply, Agent Shan, I already know the answer. Furthermore, while the Commander was in recovery, you spent anywhere from two to five hours each night following your shift at her bedside. Did you think I was unaware of your visitations?”

“That alone suggests you have a problem and those pheromones are the cause of it.”

“I would be remiss in the care of my patients if I didn’t review the security footage. The commander spoke of a presence at night. Owing to the pain medication, she was unable to discern who it was—so I investigated.”

“Look, Quinn, none of that matters. Just do yourself a favour—you still have samples of her blood? Test them. Compare them against the galaxy-wide hematological database with other species who share the trait. I’m not lying to you.”

“And should the tests and database corroborate your information?”

“Well, there are options—you could synthesize a vaccine to counter the effect.”

“I’m a field surgeon. Is that even possible?”

“Yeah, a few years back her ex-husband created one. Apparently, he specialized in developmental pharmacology. He and I were inoculated, so was Balkar.”

“Given his behavior, the inoculation was clearly ineffective.”

“Hey, it’s been over five years, it might be time for a booster, who knows.”

“If this is true, why wouldn’t she have mentioned it? I specifically asked if she had any known allergies or conditions.”

Theron sighed. “Because she doesn’t know. I didn’t want her to start doubting her relationships—she was going through something at the time—I didn’t want to make it worse. I was worried it’d push her over the edge. We decided it was best she didn’t know.”

“You were never in a position to decide for her. She should’ve been told. To be ignorant of one’s own medical issues could be detrimental—even fatal as you yourself said. How did this happen?”

“Lia’s mother was genetically modified—it got passed down. Whatever you decide to do about this—be gentle. As much as I hate to admit it, you’ve been there for her and I’ll always be grateful to you for saving her life. I just don’t want to see her hurt.”

“I would never.”

“Good. It’s only fair you go into this with your eyes open. That’s all I wanted to say. Good chat. I’ll let you get back to it.” Theron tapped the counter he leaned against and straightened to leave.

“Agent…”

“Yeah?” Theron stopped in the doorway.

“Clearly you harbor feelings for her—why haven’t you acted on them?”

“As much as I’d love to say that’s none of your business—I’ll be straight with you. We have history and I think she made it plenty clear that we’re gonna stay that way. I’ll see you at the briefing. Oh, and General? Congratulations on the promotion. You more than earned it.” Theron called out over his shoulder as he left.

Quinn slumped against his desk and palmed his jaw.

Liatrix eyed her chrono and descended the south-western ramp into the forest. She strolled along the river bank, but the tranquil beauty of the setting was lost on her. The conversation with Malavai played over and over in her mind as she picked apart every nuance and detail for some deeper or hidden meaning. Had she said too much? Or too little? Was she being foolish? She reached out, allowing her fingertips to brush the ferns as she wandered past.

The forest darkened and swarms of fireflies sparkled in the canopy like misplaced stars and she made a mental note to herself to have tiny lights strung across the cantina for the party she hoped to throw.

The path widened into a clearing. She strolled into the heart of it and a sensation of dread closed in. The birds and insects had no voice here. She was alone, but not.

“Valkorion?” She whispered.

The apparition manifested before her. His brows furrowed to form deep creases and his eyes blazed a livid yellow against the darkened sockets surrounding them. “You have trifled with my patience for the last time,” he bellowed.

“What are you talking about? I’ve done everything you wanted.”

“I warned you. I told you to keep your focus on the Eternal Throne and yet you continue to distract yourself with these pitiful dalliances.”

“In case you haven’t noticed, this is my life and you’re just along for the ride. I’m making progress. Taking the throne is going to take time. It doesn’t help that you always want more from me, but never give me anything in return. I need a way to get close to Arcann, so I can finish him once and for all.”

“I gave you my power and now you desire my secrets. You’ve earned nothing. You are not worthy!”

“Your help is useless if I can’t seize control of Arcann’s fleet. Show me how to do that.”

“I am not your servant. How dare you make demands of me, when I’ve given you everything? You’ve tried my patience for the last time.”

A surge of white-purple lightning formed between Valkorion’s hands, the energy engulfing Liatrix before she could respond. Odessen vanished in a blinding streak of light and with it, her awareness.

The lapping sound of water ebbing to and fro called to her. Darkness clung to her senses, filtering the sensory clues around her. She knew the ground was soft and wet before she could see it. A beach?

The smell of ozone overpowered everything and pressed down on her like a weight. Purple spots danced behind her eyelids like a cloud of fireflies she’d seen—somewhere—but where?

The memory of feathery ferns brushing her fingertips reminded her of the riverbank and then the scathing presence she hoped never to see again.

“Valkorion,” she croaked. She rose gradually, first pushing herself up on her elbows and then painfully to her feet.

She plucked her com unit from her belt and tapped in the frequency to the war room. “It’s me. Something’s wrong. I need—back up.”

“They cannot hear you,” Valkorion drawled.

The com fizzed and sputtered and no answer came. “You—you brought me here,” she hissed. “Why? I thought you were done with me.”

“Sometimes, evolution requires a push—or a sacrifice.”

Night had settled over the forest and some nocturnal creature howled in the distance, its call echoed by a dozen other shrill voices. At night the trees resembled shadowy serrated razors and she was surrounded by them. Vast swirls of distant galaxies and pinpoints of starlight were enough to illuminate the shore.

Liatrix’s hands settled over the borrowed sabers holstered at her hips. She spun around, her gaze landing on the amber eyes glowing behind the spindly tangled brambles.

“You have forgotten what it means to face death alone,” Valkorion taunted. “I intend to remind you.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Ohh my...

Dun dun dunn. I suppose it was only a matter of time before Quinn and Liatrix would take the next step and lock lips, she was clearly having an effect on him. The question is... would she still if he were inoculated? Which also makes me feel sorry for her--how is she to find any meaningful relationship with someone if they're only drawn to her due to the pheromones? Though is that truly the only reason? Perhaps Theron is right and Jonas needs a renewed dose but it would appear he never really got over her. We know Theron didn't either despite the inoculation and neither did Scourge. It would seem Doc is the only one who actually truly moved on from her. I'm rambling but in any case, hard as it would be I hope someone tells her at last. I'm sure it would lead her to question her relationships but at the same time it seems cruel letting her build up these relationships which may be solely based on her pheromones rather than who she is as a person. She deserves something real and honest.

Your Quinn was wonderful and so true to who he is. I had some definite flashbacks to the Warrior's companion conversations and you worked it in so well. I love your voice for him and I'm in awe of it--for me Quinn is one of the hardest voices to do because he is so delightfully complicated and different. Truly unique but you do a superb job.

Is the Quinn and Liatrix segment, the road from them talking leading up to the kiss what you spent so much time on writing this week?

Pah Valkorion. Go fish and leave Liatrix be, she has enough on her mind without you buzzing around like the annoying insect you are.

I loved this chapter Luna! The pace and dialogue was perfect and a joy to read.

Yowzah,

I rather figured that Quinn would be affected sooner or later. Poor Liatrix, what a hell of a curse. It is akin to an extremely wealthy person wondering if someone loves them for who they are or just for the money, only, in some ways, this is worse. I hope that someone will man up or grow a pair to let her know, hopefully, Quinn will play that role. Actually, being the kind of man he is, I think it would weigh heavily on his sense of honor to keep this to himself. If he should sleep with her now, it would be rather a triple whammy of betrayal, because, in a sense, he would be betraying her as well as his wife, not to mention the ideals by which he lives. He might want to take the antidote first though, just so he can approach it with a clear mind.

Some predicament to face. Do they cause her emotional pain and doubt or let her blunder through life unawares? Not to mention how pissed she'd be to find out that Theron and Balkar knew all along. Was their motive caring or cowardice or just plain selfish? I don't envy the person who tells her. What a tangled web.

I assume that was why Arcann had that 'odd' look on his face when he ran her through with the lightsaber. Now that's a heck of a twist.

I can see the quandary in writing this particular scene although you expressed everything wonderfully and the dialogue was spot on with Quinn and then Theron.

Supurb read. :)

A very enjoyable read.

I like the parallels to the SW romance in game. Poor Quinn and his pre-existing obligations.

My favorite part in this chapter was the conversation with Theron. Professional courtesy albeit somewhat grudingly is very fitting for him immo.

Ohh my...

Dun dun dunn. I suppose it was only a matter of time before Quinn and Liatrix would take the next step and lock lips, she was clearly having an effect on him. The question is... would she still if he were inoculated? Which also makes me feel sorry for her--how is she to find any meaningful relationship with someone if they're only drawn to her due to the pheromones? Though is that truly the only reason? Perhaps Theron is right and Jonas needs a renewed dose but it would appear he never really got over her. We know Theron didn't either despite the inoculation and neither did Scourge. It would seem Doc is the only one who actually truly moved on from her. I'm rambling but in any case, hard as it would be I hope someone tells her at last. I'm sure it would lead her to question her relationships but at the same time it seems cruel letting her build up these relationships which may be solely based on her pheromones rather than who she is as a person. She deserves something real and honest.

Your Quinn was wonderful and so true to who he is. I had some definite flashbacks to the Warrior's companion conversations and you worked it in so well. I love your voice for him and I'm in awe of it--for me Quinn is one of the hardest voices to do because he is so delightfully complicated and different. Truly unique but you do a superb job.

Is the Quinn and Liatrix segment, the road from them talking leading up to the kiss what you spent so much time on writing this week?

Pah Valkorion. Go fish and leave Liatrix be, she has enough on her mind without you buzzing around like the annoying insect you are.

I loved this chapter Luna! The pace and dialogue was perfect and a joy to read.

They'd been stuck together in close quarters for a while now, so it was bound to affect him. As for if that will change with the vaccine, I guess we'll just have to see. I don't think the pheromones are the sole reason, she is attractive and vivacious and she does have a vulnerability that appeals to some, but she's not without her faults--they're serious and tend to be overlooked because of the pheromonic effect. Jonas did get over her, but after being in close contact with the vaccine having worn off, it was bound to affect him. Theron already had the shot before he got seriously involved, so in that way he had an advantage over the others and Doc has been far away. Scourge fell for her when he saw her in his visions, but I've little doubt that once he was cured of his issue and was able to feel again, he'd be vulnerable as anyone without the shot--though because of his feelings before he'd be inclined, like Theron to think they truly loved her and I think they did.

No doubt about it though, she deserves to know and I don't imagine it will be taken 'well'. I'm glad you enjoyed Quinn and felt him true to himself. The section where he's talking with Liatrix is the section that I tore clumps of hair out over all week, getting it just the way I wanted it, was a challenge. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Quinn and the chapter both. :) Some voices are harder than others in the game, there are some I don't think I'd ever try if I could help it, but I have a thing for crusty Brits so that helps. Also, if it makes sense I tend to think more like a Brit than Canadian or American. :D Thanks again for the wonderful and helpful comments. <3

Yowzah,

I rather figured that Quinn would be affected sooner or later. Poor Liatrix, what a hell of a curse. It is akin to an extremely wealthy person wondering if someone loves them for who they are or just for the money, only, in some ways, this is worse. I hope that someone will man up or grow a pair to let her know, hopefully, Quinn will play that role. Actually, being the kind of man he is, I think it would weigh heavily on his sense of honor to keep this to himself. If he should sleep with her now, it would be rather a triple whammy of betrayal, because, in a sense, he would be betraying her as well as his wife, not to mention the ideals by which he lives. He might want to take the antidote first though, just so he can approach it with a clear mind.

Some predicament to face. Do they cause her emotional pain and doubt or let her blunder through life unawares? Not to mention how pissed she'd be to find out that Theron and Balkar knew all along. Was their motive caring or cowardice or just plain selfish? I don't envy the person who tells her. What a tangled web.

I assume that was why Arcann had that 'odd' look on his face when he ran her through with the lightsaber. Now that's a heck of a twist.

I can see the quandary in writing this particular scene although you expressed everything wonderfully and the dialogue was spot on with Quinn and then Theron.

Supurb read. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it and for the kind comment. It is a difficult thing, not knowing if people love you for who you are and no matter what you are, or if there is an ulterior motive or reason, the wealth analogy works quite well. I agree with you, I think it would weigh too much on Quinn to keep it secret, he already said as much, that she should've been told, and I see him being the one to drop the news on her. I think in terms of why she wasn't told by the others, I think Theron's heart was in the right place, he was telling the truth when he said he didn't want to hurt her or make her question her relationships because he figured that would have a bad effect. Theron didn't tell Jonas, Theron took advantage of Jonas being tired and having a weak moment to jab him with the 'sedative'. Jonas got better, moved on, but never really got 'why'. I suppose Theron didn't feel like wrestling Jonas to take his medicine, it was just easier to lie. If Jonas gets wise, well, there might be some issues when he finds out the truth.

And yes, you definitely hit the nail on the head about Arcann's reaction when he stabbed her. I'm really happy that you felt Quinn's chats worked out, the one with Liatrix was giving me more issue than the one with Theron oddly enough. Thanks again for reading and commenting <3

A very enjoyable read.

I like the parallels to the SW romance in game. Poor Quinn and his pre-existing obligations.

My favorite part in this chapter was the conversation with Theron. Professional courtesy albeit somewhat grudgingly is very fitting for him immo.

Thanks! I'm glad you had a good time with it. I'm glad you noticed the parallels, it was something I hoped would translate, the situations are quite similar, in that Quinn has issues with previous obligations and being almost loyal to a fault. It felt 'very Theron' for him to tell Quinn the situation so he'd have his eyes open and I think he's sincere that he doesn't want her hurt, or for that matter for Quinn to hate himself for mistakes driven by hormones/pheromones.

Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment! <3

Edited by Lunafox

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Thirteen

“I haven’t forgotten anything,” Liatrix hissed.

“We shall see,” Valkorion taunted. With a simple back-hand, he disarmed her. Her borrowed lightsabers fragmented against the granitite bluff behind her. The crystals powering the weapons turned to ash, the nighttime breeze sifting them away to nothing.

Valkorion hurled torrent after torrent of black-purple energy. Liatrix rolled and dodged the first two, but the last trapped her inside a pain-filled orb.

“How did I ever believe you were the one? You’re weak and pathetic. When will you learn these romantic fancies of yours are worthless? They will not save you in the end. Only power can do that.”

Liatrix cried out and writhed against the agonizing maelstrom encapsulating her body. Fissures formed along the length of her bones and her skull, like cracks in parched soil after a groundquake. Her blood steamed and churned until she was certain she would fly apart in a colourful explosion.

“Then kill me,” she croaked. “If that’s what it takes to be free of you—dammit, kill me. I don’t want this, I want to be free.” Her muscles seized and her head jounced and lolled. “Do it!”

“I will not gift you that release. This is only a fraction of the pain my children are capable of inflicting. Until you embrace your full potential, you will remain a pawn to fate, never its master.”

“I don’t know what you want from me! Tell me or kill me. I don’t care anymore.”

“Spare me your insipid whining! When will you understand? Love will not save you and if I must beat it out of you, so be it!”

“That’s what you did to your children—isn’t it?” She bit out.

“Death is an ocean in which we drown if we do not prepare,” he drawled. “You must become more than you are—you must finish your training or you will fail.”

He slammed her into the rock face and her head drooped. A thread of bloody spittle stretched from her lower lip along with her consciousness. The vertebrae in her neck creaked and a vice squeezed her mind until every happy thought she’d ever had turned syrupy and useless.

She slid down the bluff and fell onto her hands and knees. Blood dripped from her nose, dotting the stone between her hands. Her bones ground against each other as though the cartilage between them had been burned away when she tried to stand. “You keep talking about becoming more,” she panted. “Tell me what that means.”

“There is no simple answer. You must find it within yourself and until you do, you will continue to fail. I have no more time to waste coddling you. There are matters which require my attention elsewhere, but before I go, I will leave you with a final token of my esteem.”

Another blast of his energy engulfed her, lifting her off her feet. She railed against it even as it mended her bones and reknitted shredded muscle, sinews, joints and cartilage. She cried out, the wind and stone carrying the echoes into the darkness as he made her whole. He released his hold on her and she collapsed face down into the flaky loam.

“Fulfill your destiny and I will return,” he called to her as he faded from her awareness.

“I’ll find a way to end you,” she mumbled into the soil. She spat out a pine needle and wiped the dirt from her mouth. The creaking in her neck was gone and with it the sensation of all the tiny bones being shattered.

“I was never your enemy. Remember that and claim your destiny,” Valkorion whispered on the wind. No sooner had he stopped speaking, he was gone.

In a mad panic, she searched the corners of her mind for him, reached out with the Force to find any fragment he’d left behind but he was well and truly gone and she laughed, the sound hollow and out of control.

She dragged herself toward the shoreline on her belly and scooped a handful of water to her mouth. It leaked through her fingers faster than she could drink. She laid her head on her arm and sucked the water from the surface. She slurped until she was sated, but not even the cool water was enough to stave off unconsciousness.

The darkness roiled in her mind, bringing with it dreams. The Eternal Throne loomed before her, but as she approached it, she saw that it was not empty. Arcann occupied it, idly levitating his lightsaber, rolling it this way and that above his hand.

His eyes held the same stricken look in them as the day he ran her through. “I had fear beaten out of me before I could walk—and the rest soon after. Valkorion feels nothing—he is a void, and feeling has no place in the void. He will not stop until he has molded you into what he is. The question remains—will you let him?”

A yellow-eyed shadow lingered at his side and it spoke with the sort of voice womprats might have if they could speak. “Brother…why bother with Father’s little pet? I would wear her entrails as a stole to my next party. Just say the word.”

Arcann ignored the shadow. “Answer me! Will you let him?”

Before Liatrix could respond, the setting changed. She saw a beach and a lake and a void gathering strength above it.

A familiar female voice called out to her, “No. That path—isn’t for you. The living do not belong in that place. This way, come. I will show you the way back.”

Liatrix groaned and woke with a start. She sputtered and coughed until she threw up the water she’d ingested. A faint bluish ball of light hovered ahead of her—foxfire—she thought at first until she couldn’t deny the impulse through the Force to follow it.

The orb led her to a spiraling path and at its end, the light gathered in strength to form a woman kneeling within a circle of stone cairns.

Liatrix shivered at the sight of the cairns. She shook her head as if this would chase away the notion that she was in another version of the same purgatory she’d shared with Valkorion while she slept in carbonite.

What if the last few months weren’t real? The thought chilled her.

As she drew closer, the energy pulsed with familiarity and Liatrix stiffened. Her breathing hitched and her saber hand opened and closed reflexively. She remembered her broken weapons and swore.

The ghostly woman stood and turned to reveal herself. “Welcome. We’ve been waiting for you for a long time.”

“Satele Shan…” Liatrix hissed. “Why would you be waiting for me? I have nothing to say to you—and I’m not interested in anything you have to say to me.”

“I am not the same person you knew in life. When I died, I gave myself to the will of the Force. You remember me as I was and likewise, I remember you as you were, but through the Force, I have moved beyond that which we knew and experienced in life. I bear no ill will toward you. We are here to assist you in the battle ahead.”

“I must’ve hit my head harder than I thought,” Liatrix grumbled.

“I assure you, your faculties are intact, but I sense you’re exhausted. There is no need to question your perceptions. You have survived an ordeal—come, sit.”

“I prefer to stand.”

“That is your choice.”

“What do you know about the battle ahead, or what I’ve been through?”

“We’ve been watching you for a long time—we’ve been here for years, waiting for you to come.”

“You keep saying, ‘we.’” Liatrix glanced about the clearing. “I don’t see anyone else here with you.”

“In the Force, we are never alone. We sensed your awakening on Zakuul and the influence of our old enemy guiding you. We were witness to every event that led you to this place. When we found you by the shore, we were faced with a choice—to bring you here, or end you there.”

“That was you—guiding me away from—there was a void and a beach,” Liatrix frowned as she tried to remember, but grasping the memory was like trying to hold onto water. “I don’t think Theron would approve of you trying to kill me.”

“We didn’t bring you here to protect Theron’s feelings.”

“Right, cause when have they ever mattered to you?”

“You seek to wound me, but I assure you that is no longer possible. In you, we sensed something we hadn’t in a very long time—hope. Valkorion strengthened your connection to the Force. You may be the greatest of us all, but the training you have had is not enough to prepare you for what lies ahead. You have much to learn.”

“From you?” Liatrix laughed ruefully. “You have nothing to teach me. I defeated you in every way that matters. I doubt Valkorion meant that I should continue my training with you.”

“You know the ways of the Jedi and the Sith, but Arcann’s knights have learned to use the Force in a different way. Instead of seeing it as a companion or a slave, they see it as a reward for their service. The more they sacrifice to uphold his commandments, the stronger they become. They obey him without question.”

“They’re slaves and I will never be like them.”

Liatrix sensed another familiar presence close by and shivered. Frost formed on the plants close to her and her breath became a fog. Her heart hammered in her chest and the blood drained from her face. The clearing spun and she sat heavily on a boulder.

“Those who do not bend, break.” The voice gathered into form and Darth Marr emerged from the ether to stand next to Satele Shan.

“Father?! Is that really you? I can’t believe it.”

“Valkorion may have destroyed my flesh—but not my reason for being. After my defeat, I sought an ally to make things right again—but only one was my equal. We met in a place, not of this life and we came to an understanding. All that we have learned—we wish to pass on to you.”

Liatrix’s insides quivered. She pushed up off the rock to stand before the two Force ghosts. “I don’t believe any of this. This is a trick. This is Valkorion’s doing.”

“Valkorion is not present,” Darth Marr said.

“Why should I believe you—either of you? He’s manipulating me—I’m through with your head games Valkorion,” she called out to the night air.

“Do you recall our conversation in the nursery, months before we left for Wild Space? We both sensed that time was running out for us.”

“Of course, I do.”

“You favoured your son in those moments—the son you named to honour me. I told you, without sacrifice—we lose everything.”

“And I said, ‘but that doesn’t make it any easier to live with.’ It really is you.”

“In light of Valkorion’s influence, your skepticism is understandable. I would expect no less from you.”

Liatrix lowered her gaze and stared at the dead leaves rustling at her feet. “The fact that it’s really you—makes it worse.” She peered up into the mask she knew as his ‘true’ face. “I called out for you. I needed you. For five years, I was locked in carbonite and not a single day passed that I didn’t cry out for you—beg the Force for you. I would’ve given anything. All I ever wanted was you—and now you have the gall to stand here, and tell me that you’ve spent the last several years with her?

“That she’s your equal? That of all the people in the galaxy to be with—you’ve been with her? She’s nothing to us and that you chose to be with her—makes me sick.”

“You’re angry, but your reaction will not help you defeat Valkorion or win the Eternal Throne,” Satele said.

“Shut up. Of course, I’m angry. You come here playing high and mighty—claiming that you’ve given yourself to the Force—but you’re still the same vindictive harpy you always were. I suppose you’re happy now. You took the one person that mattered to me. I suppose this is your revenge for Theron. Welcome to the Dark side, Satele.”

Darth Marr drew closer. “That’s enough. We have no time to waste with petty bickering. The war must end and to end it, you must rule the Eternal Empire. We are here to prepare you for that outcome.”

“Rule it yourself. I’m done here,” Liatrix snarled and turned on her heel. “Stay away from me. And Valkorion, if you’re listening, that means you too. All of you, just stay the hell away from me!” She threw over her shoulder and stormed up the hill.

Each step quickened until she broke into a run. She gulped the cool night air until her lungs ached. Certain that they would not follow her, she stooped to catch her breath. She wanted to cry but no tears would come. Even her anger had left her. She ambled onward but felt nothing—not even anticipation of seeing the base again. She frowned.

I’m becoming like him. That’s what he wants.

Arcann’s question floated to the surface of her thoughts. Will you let him?

Liatrix looked up at the sky and marveled at how the cold made the night sky so clear. Each star blazed with life. If only life was as clear as that sky. The question needled her again.

Will you let him?

She shook her head and her sight blurred with heat. “No. I won’t.”

She trudged onward, the long night showing no sign of giving way to the light. With the Force, she hid herself from the creatures in the forest. A pale glow broke the darkness ahead and she moved toward it. Her belly growled and her shivering had grown more persistent. A crust formed on her lips from dehydration.

The trees gave way to a cave, its mouth accented by the dim glow inside. She peered inside the cave and skulked along its walls and followed the bend.

The glow beamed more powerfully, the deeper she progressed and with the light came the thrum of the Force. Her shadow against the cave walls stood tall and narrow and grew darker and more defined as she approached the light.

Her eyes widened at the sight ahead, her gaze following the jagged crystals lining the cave like the inside of a giant geode. The crystals held no colour or intent—their power so like the balance of the planet. She traced the crystals and to her surprise they were warm.

Her thoughts took her back to the conversation she’d had with her father in the nursery. The last thing he had said to her that night was just as true this night.

‘You—you must survive,’ he’d said.

She laid her hands on the stalagmite before her and reveled in the comforting warmth. “To survive—I need new lightsabers—ones that he can’t break,” she said to herself. “And I need to get out of here.”

After harvesting a pair of the milky crystals she felt drawn to, she slipped them into the reticule on her belt.

Her com unit dangled at her hip, surprisingly intact after the night’s events. After receiving static as an answer from the base, she used a small crystal to boost the signal strength and set it to beacon mode. She sat with her back against the tallest crystal and fell into an uneasy sleep.

The hours passed and she woke to someone shaking her shoulder. She squinted through the dim light and cocked her head. “Theron? Is that you?”

“Yeah—it’s me. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to thaw you out before,” he said gently. “But I’m here now.”

“How did you find me?” She whispered as he helped her to her feet.

“I’ve been combing the whole planet since you didn’t show up for the briefing—figured something must’ve gone wrong. Are you okay?”

Liatrix nodded. “It was Valkorion—he lured me away—but he’s gone—at least for now. There’s more…”

“C’mon, you can tell us all about it when I get you back home.”

“What happened with the briefing—the mission?”

“It got a little squirrelly, to say the least. Jorgan found the Eternal Fleet’s transmission tower—he wanted to blow it up.”

“And did he?”

“No—turns out we got some unexpected help from Zakuul’s resident anarchist.”

“Anarchist?”

“Yeah—turns out it’s someone we know. I’ll explain everything later. Let’s get you back home.”

“Theron?”

“Mmm?”

“I’m sorry—for everything.”

“Me too, but let’s not dwell on any of that right now. Deal?”

“Deal.”

((to be continued…))

Yay, new chapter! :)

I'd been curious to see what would happen once you reached this particular point of the story--Lia's reunion with Marr. I'd imagined her to be angry... she did not disappoint and honestly I cannot blame her skepticism and upset. She needed him and in her experience now he's just been sitting around having Force-ghost tea with Satele Shan of all people. I loved her snide towards Satele as well. That said I do hope she comes around and should Marr make a re-appearance, she'll hear him out. There's much that needs explaining and it would be nice if some of her pain could be absolved with the truth. Which... she really doesn't have a lot of truth in her life right now does she? Valkorion's playing games, Marr and Satele are speaking in riddles of profoundness, Theron's keeping secrets... things aren't easy.

The ending was enjoyable too. It would appear a sense of amends between Theron and Liatrix has been made but for how long?

I feel grateful for your approach to this chapter. The in-game version... as much as I was glad to finally see Marr again, it left me annoyed and with very mixed feelings. Not to mention that describing the whole pole jumping whatever business could have been a drag. I like how you reworked it, how personal you made it to her story. And at least your other story 'Marr' helps understand him better in this situation.

Wonderful chapter as always Luna, I look forward to the next.

Guess you're not so Yandere with my story then eh? Comments for comments, but nothing about the story. I see you're practicing your japanese story terms huh. :)

No I'm just a filthy Weeb lol. And how did you know I was Yandere? Does it show? Crap! Now I gotta move the bodies!

I'm sure it would lead her to question her relationships but at the same time it seems cruel letting her build up these relationships which may be solely based on her pheromones rather than who she is as a person. She deserves something real and honest.

I think we differ on this point Jenny. All pheromones actually do is affect you biologically. They produce carnal, sexual attraction, raw sex appeal as it were. As far as I'm concerned that means any relationship Lia has with someone that is not just physical (i.e. FWB) is really just as honest and real as anything else. The only difference between Lia and a normal human woman is that she has an easier time finding prospective mates. I firmly believe that things like pheromones can only make you lust after someone, never love them. There is no such thing as a love potion.

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

Enjoyable as always. :)

Glad you put your own twist on this stinker of an in-game chapter and avoided all that Vaylin's spirit fight and the construction of a 'new' weapon. Marr was the only saving grace in that whole debacle. She opted for the crystals, good choice. As for her meet up with Marr, I think that she feels abandoned by her father, in a sense, and doesn't really care to hear what he has to say. Petulant, perhaps, but it must rankle, especially since he's gotten so cozy with Satele and she had to put up with Valky tromping around in her brain. Marr's a ghost, why the hell couldn't he at least stop by for a visit and a pep talk in those five years? I hope she and Marr can meet again at some point so she can finally come to grips with her loss.

A bit of an omen that she saw Arcann in her vision? And with a warning, of sorts, no less. Avenues can open up from that exchange.

A lot of time has passed since she last saw Theron and time can heal or wound, I guess we'll see what road they travel now. And, of course, there is always Scourge somewhere in the universe who's bound to pop up sooner or later.