SWTOR Developers finally address XP/Vista Cert errors

republicinator

Its good to see BW finally get down to business and fix the issue that so many people were having. But the only negative thing that can be taken from this is that thousands of players had to report the same issue. If this is what takes BW to do something like this then just imagine a major bug that is only happening to a few people that can't be fixed in-game...But still. Props to BW for addressing this issue. Well, only a temp fix though. Unless you use wine-staging.

I find it pretty hard to believe that there's thousands of people who still use xp or vista

Yeah, well it might not of been thousands but still a decent chunk of the player base. Thats also probably due to money or some other reasons why people haven't upgraded to bought a new PC entirely

I find it pretty hard to believe that there's thousands of people who still use xp or vista

Same, like, Windows 7 isn't that expensive at the moment anymore. The most basic edition is around 20 euros here in the Netherlands, so it's really not that much of an investment in a better computer system. When it comes to this I think it's just people refusing to budge and using other things as arguments to not upgrade. Like you can't expect Bioware to support XP and Vista if Microsoft itself has withdrawn support...

For a bit of perspective, Windows XP still has a larger market share than MacOS X 10.12. Only in the last 3 months has its market share dropped below Windows 8.1, and that's still by less than 0.4%

It's currently the 4th most used OS.

July 2017's numbers:

Market Share of Windows 7 48.91%

Market Share of Windows 10 27.63%

Market Share of Windows 8.1 6.48%

Market Share of Windows XP 6.10%

Market Share of Mac OS X 10.12 3.52%

Since we have come to a time that old OS are stop being supported from their companies,it's normal that people are forced to upgrade to a newer version of that OS. It's logical to move forward. Budget sometimes is a issue yeah,but I won't even mention that windows 7 can be put on a pc fairly easy and not expensive at all. It will run much faster than xp and will support the game.

We can't blame the companies for wanting to upgrade,since it's the logical path of how a system must work. In order to be productive it must upgrade. And sometimes there is a NEED to upgrade,since the older version is causing issues.

Edited by RevorteX

For a bit of perspective, Windows XP still has a larger market share than MacOS X 10.12. Only in the last 3 months has its market share dropped below Windows 8.1, and that's still by less than 0.4%

It's currently the 4th most used OS.

July 2017's numbers:

Market Share of Windows 7 48.91%

Market Share of Windows 10 27.63%

Market Share of Windows 8.1 6.48%

Market Share of Windows XP 6.10%

Market Share of Mac OS X 10.12 3.52%

For a bit of perspective:

After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 10.Apr 8, 2014

As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

Now if only they would fix the problems we have trying to play this on the Atari 2600 and VIC20.

Or, you know what, maybe its just time to upgrade.....(*hint*)

Yeah, I wish I could run SWTOR on my Commodore 64 and I'm super pissed that Bioware hasn't made this possible!

For a bit of perspective:

After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 10.Apr 8, 2014

As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

That's kinda what I was adding perspective to. Despite being 3 years past end of life, XP is still almost as widely used as the 2nd most recent OS offering from the same company and is on more than 1/10th as many machines as their most recent OS.

A datapoint in the "Who even still uses XP anyway?" sidebar.

That's kinda what I was adding perspective to. Despite being 3 years past end of life, XP is still almost as widely used as the 2nd most recent OS offering from the same company and is on more than 1/10th as many machines as their most recent OS.

A datapoint in the "Who even still uses XP anyway?" sidebar.

That's a perspective that might be important to Windows but has no bearing on what Bioware, or for that matter Blizzard or anyone else can do.

I understand clinging to old operating systems. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming from DOS. (Yeah I'm that old ;p)

There is a point where it doesn't MATTER how many of your users are effected. You can't support an operating system that is unsupported by its maker.

Edited by Kyrra_T

Who? Who is the 6% that use XP? My grandmother? and people in 3rd world countries?

According to the Spiceworks 2017 OS Adoption Trends survey, released April 3, 2017, some 52% of businesses are still running at least one instance of Windows XP, despite support for the OS ending on April 8, 2014.The survey also noted that 9% of businesses are still running at least one instance of Windows Vista, which will lose support on April 11, 2017.

According to the Spiceworks 2017 OS Adoption Trends survey, released April 3, 2017, some 52% of businesses are still running at least one instance of Windows XP, despite support for the OS ending on April 8, 2014.The survey also noted that 9% of businesses are still running at least one instance of Windows Vista, which will lose support on April 11, 2017.

Yup and the ending of support is HOW Windows is attempting to drag them off those machines. Because having supported machines like that, in a shop well past needing them, it is frankly a never ending nightmare for the IT staff. The primary reason those businesses are using those old machines is they have 'homegrown' software that they can't figure out how to upgrade to a modern OS, and they don't want to spend the money on developers who can do those homegrown software upgrades.

Why are you people still using XP/Vista? You kidding? This shouldn't have been in issue to begin with. Upgrade you system to something in this decade plz. Was a Free Win 10 too much for you to pay? My god. It's BW's fault you didn't upgrade. That sounds legit.

This.. and quite honestly I think game developers should only support what is being supported by the OS manufacturer, and not via extended support. Neither of those OS's have been supported by Microsoft since at least April 8, 2014

I have one (1) machine that still runs XP. It isn't even connected to the network because it is such a potential virus hazard. The ONLY reason why I have it is because I have a fiber optic cable tester that requires microsofts activesync to transfer the data files to a PC. That situation will be resolved in the next month when that hardware gets upgraded. But there are reasons why business do such things. Business =/= to the same reasons why gamers don't upgrade. If a business doesn't upgrade it is because they have a mission critical piece of software that they utilize that is either no longer under development, etc et al.

Gamers who don't upgrade.. Well.. yeah.