Will other companions besides Lana and Theron have any major roles. New ideas

LordAppius

Well so far we have seen that Lana and Theron are the right hand the the conscience of the main character. This is something that is annoying me, because all the other space meatballs we call companions are only there to make number.

Not sure if this is a problem of:

a) bioware can't hire the previous voice actors

b) they completly forgot to give some major rolls to old companions (i'm betting on this one)

Also, since we are talking about companions and stuff that we wish to have returned a good idea for upcoming expanions would be to explore some areas of the galaxy. What do i mean. It doesn't need to be something related to the main story arc.

We could have, somewhere in time, a discovey that was spreading rumors and chaos throughout the galaxy that some planets societies, life and faura were disappearing or being obliterated somehow.

A good example of an operation that wasn't linked to main story is Ravagers. Bioware could start focusing on small updates, like other mmo's do and release more ops or content. I don't think that releasing one boss for the period of 12 months is what we can actually call progressing the right way, well it certainly is a step forward, but to slow, and ppl will lose interest on it.

Ideas for Bioware:

- new stories that aren't related to the main character, there is life outside the main character, Lana and Theron. Hard to believe but there is stuff happening, well there could be, but bioware makes it seem that the only think happening has those 3 guys on its center. Like we could halt the upcoming story with some side stories, exploring new stuff, new areas, new planets, new regions of the galaxy.

I think this is something it should have been done instead of killing Vitiate (although i do not believe he is dead until Scourge appears in front of me and says he is really dead). The Emperor should hav been the last thing we killed in the game. I think, as probably a lot of ppl that, Bioware should have taken a different rout. Like Nathema could have been a planet with its own story, where we would go back in time, play as vitiate and do his ritual where he consumed everyone to become immortal. Then the player would discover some secrets and weak spots about Vitiate on the planet, but when he made this discovery he would be attacked by the zealots and had to make his escape.

The idea would have been to make a new ops here, where instead of progressing to the final boss, we actually run from enemies and have to survive. Would be neat to see a different kind of operation, a new style of gameplay, where you don't actually have to kill major space potatoes that no one cares, but actually run from them and survive.

I think all the main stories have given us good starting points to make an operation.

Since bioware is focusing on only one story line what they could have done was pick one of the main stories, pick the lose ends and try to come up with something that would eventually lead to us defeating Vitiate. It is a shame that Vitiate is not a raid boss, where revan's ghosts would appear, shield us so we could struck the final blow. This is not a question of being a revan fan boy, but placing a major character that dedicated his life to kill the Emperor.

Since this is no longer a viable option we have to see where the game will lead us. Although i would like to see some major characters from our old stories returning. The sith inquisitor basically had a small armada of ships, and his moff ran away when the Eternal Nonsense attacked. Unless he his having space martinis somewhere i think he should come baring some news about some danger he was fighting and blocking from attacking the empire.

Lack of funds or good story writers has been an issue since 4.0 was implemented, but at least Bioware could here their player base.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It;s been clear for awhile now that your character, Lana and Theron are the main focus. It is easy for the writers to make a more focuses story with just three characters two who have been interacting with your character regardless of class since there intro so for people who have never played any other class wont be asking who they are and why that class character gets there companions priority. Also i can guess by giving Theron a huge role the writers think there still honoring the original game cause he happens to be a Reven blood(this is not entirely true but its probably what they think). Lana on the other hand was original just made to have a empire side character for forged alliance as at the time Theron only worked for republic players. Turned out she got a huge fan following and Bioware rolled with it by giving her a bigger role cause like i said easier to do dew to her being introduced to every player and not just one class. At the end the day Theron and Lana are great characters so its kinda kept us distracted but the longer they hold on just them the more we will get tired and want to see old or new faces its just how fans roll.

I think I huge problem is that EA doesn't see much for swtor and thus they pump more funds into games like the sims and Fifa.

But the game is still doing ok so obviously we cant just blame it on that, I completely agree that most companions have been neglected, in the old days the companions werent just your warriors they were characters with stories and pasts. But with the shadow of Revan it seemed that this was over as I don't recall any unique companion interactions what so ever.

They said with KOTFE it would all change, the companions would be better and we were getting new ones too, I was excited , I couldn't wait to explore what our companions did for 5 years and explore even more new companions.

Turns out it did change! But not for the better, the companions essentially became, in HKs words "Meatbags" to use for fighting, obviously this is an mmo and thats a key component of the game but Swtor isnt like most mmos its hugely story based! I guess its just out with the old in with the new.

Sick of people thinking the story needs to be personally catered to them. If that were the case we would end up with the most bland, unappealing story ever. No thanks.

We have the most bland, unappealing story ever, and the upcoming 'twist' is actually pathetic. It's an insult to genuinely talented writers that the people at BW are actually employed to come up with the crap we've been getting.

Heres the list for the guys, all games.

DAO ....

Morrigan will potentially betray you in DAO at the end, too. So there's one more. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to call Blackwall out for his past. There are plenty of romance options on both sides of the aisle that I feel like are comparable there.

Although it does raise a point. In the Dragon Age series, I deliberately wanted to play characters who could get into a romance and them have in-game circumstances pull them apart, which meant that I was stuck playing female protagonists, for the most part.

Still, since we don't know how his story ends, I wouldn't write the romance off yet. If anything, it's possible that if they pull it off well, they'll be adding depth to the character's story.

Morrigan will potentially betray you in DAO at the end, too. So there's one more. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to call Blackwall out for his past. There are plenty of romance options on both sides of the aisle that I feel like are comparable there.

Although it does raise a point. In the Dragon Age series, I deliberately wanted to play characters who could get into a romance and them have in-game circumstances pull them apart, which meant that I was stuck playing female protagonists, for the most part.

Still, since we don't know how his story ends, I wouldn't write the romance off yet. If anything, it's possible that if they pull it off well, they'll be adding depth to the character's story.

The difference between Blackwall and others was hiding his identity. Lels for example was honest about being a bard - bards in DA land kill, she didnt hide it. Blackwall pretended to be something else and did not reveal himself until after the romance was in deep.

Right now in swtor all I can see is a story that is totally OOC for the character in question and makes zero sense.

Edited by Suzsi

This, but it's going to require so much patience that I don't know if it's possible. :mad:

The difference between Blackwall and others was hiding his identity.

When I first recruited Blackwall and asked him questions about the Wardens, most of his responses had me giving my monitor the "Fry Meme" look. ("Not sure if actually a Gray Warden or lying.") Of course, my INQUISITOR wouldn't know the actual answers, but me as the player knew the answers and his responses contradicted what I personally knew.

As for betrayal in DA:I, you could lose Bull in Trespasser if you sacrificed the Chargers during his personal quest. Just thought I'd toss that one in there.

You know how many people could never get over Quinn's betrayal no matter how much time passed and how hard he tried to atone for it? This is 10x worse. I don't see how the story could possibly redeem the traitor without resorting to something cheap like mind control.

Thats all well and good, so how about this time they kick the male players in the teeth? Kill off their favorite LI, turn them into a traitor and so on instead of it always being us girls huh?

The one I had at some point hasn't even returned to the story yet (many game years and now literal real world years later) so cry me a river on that one.

Do you want the list of all the bioware betrayers us females have to deal with?

DAO Alistair if you make a wrong choice will run away. Will also ditch you if your the wring class or species and he becomes King. Minor redemption is you can get around this.

DA2 Anders uses you to blow up a chantry full of innocent people, including kids.

DAI Solas the betrayer. Runs off wants to destroy the world. Blackwall sleeps with you then drops the oh hey by the way I killed a bunch of people.

SWTOR Quinn tries to kill you. Aric will ignore orders under certain conditions but can be avoided.

Mass Effect 3, Jacob turns out to be a cheating ***. Thane dies.

MEA - Liam gives away secret codes. Reyes uses you to try and kill someone.

Heres the list for the guys, all games.

DAO ....

DA2 Isabella might run off and not come back depending on choices, i think. Hazy on that.

DAI .....

Mass Effect .....

SWTOR - Elara will break up if you turned against the republic. Kaylio might ignore orders under certain conditions.

I wonder why us girls might just be a little DONE at our fav romances being screwed over.

The fact you can actually remember all that tends to tell me that females are the easy target for that sort of thing and spurning them keeps them interested ( I mean clearly you've not learned your lesson ). Happily ever after ain't happening.

We have the most bland, unappealing story ever, and the upcoming 'twist' is actually pathetic. It's an insult to genuinely talented writers that the people at BW are actually employed to come up with the crap we've been getting.

Yet you know what happens already it would seem and you'll play it anyway and then complain about how "bland and unappealing" it is. The twist is great, no one saw it coming - look at all the reddit rage "wah wah you can't do that to my ***" "this is stupid, my *** would never behave like that".

I think it's great, shake things up a little BWA, kill some more of them off, hell kill all of them!

You know how many people could never get over Quinn's betrayal no matter how much time passed and how hard he tried to atone for it? This is 10x worse. I don't see how the story could possibly redeem the traitor without resorting to something cheap like mind control.

Really? Because I remember more people being annoyed that Quinn's return on Iokath gave them no choice but to act like they were still holding a grudge, than I do people who were happy to act that grudge out. I can't say for myself, my Warrior hasn't gotten that far yet. But then again, he's also one of those who ultimately forgave Quinn (even if a beating was involved).

Right now in swtor all I can see is a story that is totally OOC for the character in question and makes zero sense.

It makes PERFECT sense to how I've been treating the character and my actions throughout the game.

This is the problem, the way we've been playing differs and no matter what BWA have written themselves into a corner by trying to have one story for all yet have differing choices - **** stops making sense for some players and their play through.

Aric for example you mentioned earlier, I personally wanted to slaughter him when his mission came up and yet I couldn't even ignore his mission let alone slaughter him. It was so bloody out of character for my character and incredibly annoying.

At this stage storywise I maintain what I've suggested before. It's time we parked our "mains" and have a next expansion with a completely fresh character like it works in many RPG sequels. NWN2, Kotor2, ALL DA games ...

Thus you can have a fresh environment for people to play through a story that actually makes sense.

This MMO story telling is getting to be quite nonsense for this game because it relies on us needing to continue "our" story without it actually being "our" story anymore (i.e. class story). As soon as they failed to continue a class story after having a class story the story was always doomed and it's only going to get worse.

The one I had at some point hasn't even returned to the story yet (many game years and now literal real world years later) so cry me a river on that one.

The fact you can actually remember all that tends to tell me that females are the easy target for that sort of thing and spurning them keeps them interested ( I mean clearly you've not learned your lesson ). Happily ever after ain't happening.

Some are suggesting "triple agent" which would honestly be the stupidest bloody writing possible. Might as well go with the "it's a dream" concept.

I get some people would love it because it means they don't lose this person but from an interesting writing perspective it would be boring and monotonous as crap if the triple agent thing played out.

I actually forgot 2.

Cullen will break up with you if you keep him on Lyruim and dont pick the correct dialogue and as someone else pointed out, Iron Bull if you let the chargers die.

Yes, I remember which characters NOT to romance so as not to get screwed over because I learned that lesson the hard way after DA:O and Alistair leaving. It limits romance choices majorly for female players when 3/4 of them can turn out to be lying, cheating, betraying idiots.

I stayed with Kaidan in mass effect, despite Horizon. At least he doesnt die, cheat or bettay. Cullen in DAI, taking him off Lyruim. Alistair in DAO second PT .. very carefully. Never played a third.

Stayed with Liam in MEA. Can handle chars with flaws if the romance continues.

Did not see this one coming, at all, bit hard to wait till others finish these stories before getting invested in chars and im tired of having to tip toe through bioware games because of stuff like this, it is getting old.

More than that male players never have to deal with the **** we do. Its so unbalanced.

This is my last straw, can only be pushed so many times before its enough and eyerolling content rather then fun or enjoyable.

I do know I am done pre-ordering. Didnt pre-order DAI, I waited. Did pre-order MEA, mistake wont do that again, 2 out of 3 of the romances for females were half assed anyways.

And as soon as I get back on my PC next my swtor sub is next to go thanks to this new development. Even girls have their limits.

This is my issue as well. I don't mind major changes in the story arc of particular characters, assuming such changes make sense. In this case, particularly given the choices some of my characters have made, it is downright mystifying; with others, I can see it. Perhaps they can spin it properly, but that's going to be some heavy spinning. Oh well, time will tell.

Edited by Jdast

I am dearly hoping that the datamined stuff is just BS, it's been pointed out that EA has thrown total red herrings out there before. Having said that...there are a few traitor choices which are unbearably devastating and that would be one of them. It doesn't make me want to continue playing the game, if every foundation is going to be torn down that way.

I am dearly hoping that the datamined stuff is just BS, it's been pointed out that EA has thrown total red herrings out there before. Having said that...there are a few traitor choices which are unbearably devastating and that would be one of them. It doesn't make me want to continue playing the game, if every foundation is going to be torn down that way.

That foundation was torn down when they decided to remove our beloved class companions for these cookie cutter global companions in the first place.

That foundation was torn down when they decided to remove our beloved class companions for these cookie cutter global companions in the first place.

A lot of people say this but I don't see it. Since Kotfe and Kotet there has been more romance content with most of the previous romance characters (other than those not returned) then there has been since the game was 1st released. The previous expansions gave zero interactions with our original companions, at least since kotfe and kotet weve had some interactions with them as they come back. Makeb, Rishi, SoR etc, these gave us nothing. They were there but never even spoke. For past companions, this was a step in the right direction. The only real issue I see is them having trouble getting some VAs back, honestly I'd rather they hire new ones then to stiff those characters.

Edited by Suzsi

A lot of people say this but I don't see it. Since Kotfe and Kotet there has been more romance content with most of the previous romance characters (other than those not returned) then there has been since the game was 1st released. The previous expansions gave zero interactions with our original companions, at least since kotfe and kotet weve had some interactions with them as they come back. Makeb, SoR etc, these gave us nothing. They were there but never even spoke. For past companions, this was a step in the right direction. The only real issue I see is them having trouble getting some VAs back, honestly I'd rather they hire new ones then to stiff those characters.

I agree with this, and I felt that the romances from Forged Alliances onward have been a lot better and more genuine than the ones in the class storylines, at least from the standpoint of a female character/player.

The way companions in general were ignored in SoR and Hutt Cartel were a bit jarring, in honesty, romance or not. I liked Vette's snarky comments while we were running around on Rishi and Yavin, but it was still weird not to have more.

I agree with this, and I felt that the romances from Forged Alliances onward have been a lot better and more genuine than the ones in the class storylines, at least from the standpoint of a female character/player.

The way companions in general were ignored in SoR and Hutt Cartel were a bit jarring, in honesty, romance or not. I liked Vette's snarky comments while we were running around on Rishi and Yavin, but it was still weird not to have more.

Even worse was if you had your vanilla LI present while you flirted with Lana/Theron and they just blinked stupidly with nary a "So-and-so disapproves."

But you're not being fair to the vanilla companions during the class story. If you ran around with them and had them out during the cut scenes, they made comments and gave approval/disapproval notifications.

My favorite was Vector on Voss. He was all, "Yay, you're being diplomatic! APPROVE! You're marrying that Voss guy in the name of diplomacy even though you and I are together? APPROVE! What? You aren't going to sleep with Voss-Guy? GREATLY APPROVE!!" Yeah, he was all down with the agent getting married, but man he was pretty happy that said marriage wasn't consummated by my agent. Not to mention his little comment of, "So you're marrying a Voss? Then again, we always did question your taste in men."

The vanilla companion romances were far better and meaningful than the KotFE ones because we spent WAY more time with them. And then it was super jarring when they said nothing else when everything was done. Makeb? Vector said a couple ambient things. Rishi, Yavin 4? Said a couple things. But he might as well have been invisible during the cut scenes. Hell, in fact he *was* invisible during most of those. Or Marr was standing on top of him during the Revan battle. Marr and everyone else doing a heroic pose. Vector standing way in the back yawning and doing his idle animations like nothing was going on. THAT was crappy.

I wish BW would have done more, and hope that maybe they will plan to do more with the vanilla companions once we get them back. I mean, they probably won't because we're all supposed to be in love with either Koth, Lana, or Theron and forget all about the companions our characters went through actual character development with, but a girl can dream, right?

Edited by AngFour

Even worse was if you had your vanilla LI present while you flirted with Lana/Theron and they just blinked stupidly with nary a "So-and-so disapproves."

But you're not being fair to the vanilla companions during the class story. If you ran around with them and had them out during the cut scenes, they made comments and gave approval/disapproval notifications.

My favorite was Vector on Voss. He was all, "Yay, you're being diplomatic! APPROVE! You're marrying that Voss guy in the name of diplomacy even though you and I are together? APPROVE! What? You aren't going to sleep with Voss-Guy? GREATLY APPROVE!!" Yeah, he was all down with the agent getting married, but man he was pretty happy that said marriage wasn't consummated by my agent. Not to mention his little comment of, "So you're marrying a Voss? Then again, we always did question your taste in men."

The vanilla companion romances were far better and meaningful than the KotFE ones because we spent WAY more time with them. And then it was super jarring when they said nothing else when everything was done. Makeb? Vector said a couple ambient things. Rishi, Yavin 4? Said a couple things. But he might as well have been invisible during the cut scenes. Hell, in fact he *was* invisible during most of those. Or Marr was standing on top of him during the Revan battle. Marr and everyone else doing a heroic pose. Vector standing way in the back yawning and doing his idle animations like nothing was going on. THAT was crappy.

I wish BW would have done more, and hope that maybe they will plan to do more with the vanilla companions once we get them back. I mean, they probably won't because we're all supposed to be in love with either Koth, Lana, or Theron and forget all about the companions our characters went through actual character development with, but a girl can dream, right?

I've gotta disagree. I thought that the *friendships* on the vanilla class companions were wonderful - Vette's always my favorite, because the SW goes through such a journey with her, but there were others that were great too. The side quests and ship chats with the companions were really an asset, and I wish they'd do those again, because you truly got to know the companions and they had a more active role in things. I always loved seeing that little triangle on the ship that let me know that so-and-so wanted to talk.

And I do wish there would be more interactions with those companions overall. If one romanced a vanilla companion and put the effort/attachment there, of course one wants more, too, so I do hear that and understand the request.

And I did think that aside from the color commentary in-game, that the companions all went silent during Hutt Cartel and SoR was strange and disappointing. During the Revan battle, it would have been awesome to have all one's companions lined up with the other allies, at least to cheer you on.

My Vette spent the entire Revan fight standing right in his grill and shooting him in the face even though she was on heal - I got heals from Lana and Darth Marr, LOL, because Vette was intent on annihilating Revan herself. :)

But for the romances, IMHO the Lana/Theron/Koth ones are better. I didn't even bother romancing anyone during the vanilla class stories because I thought they were all horrible. The only one I might have been interested in on Imperial side was Torian, but that wasn't happening because of his age. On the Republic side the only one I thought was decent was Aric Jorgan, but that would have required playing a Trooper. And don't get me started on stuff like Doc and the ship marriage droid on Republic side...

But with Lana, even if you're an Imperial, you get this long, awkward flirting phase during Forged Alliances, Revan and Ziost, and then the romance really develops as KOTFE and KOTET go on. It's little things, like Lana being okay with PDAs, but it shows an evolution (having said that, I wish there were far more). Theron, as well. And I actually liked that Koth will break up with you if he gets ticked enough with your choices, unlike the other companions that might 'greatly disapprove' everything you do but still stick around.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero