PVP Tanking Question

Morath

Greetings,

I usually play with my bro and he takes a ton of damage on his DPS Jugg. I am taking a break from my healer and want to tank with him.. My question is which tank can take the best beating pvp? I know the sin tank has great utility but for just shear damage reduction i'm thinking its prolly Jugg Tank.

For example, hypergate center. We are just gonna stay in the center and beat stuff down. I know pull would be great but not at the expense of being more squishy. I'm not gonna stealth out and leave him. So I guess its between PT tank and Jugg. Thoughts? Also, I will be rotating guards when he is not in trouble. I guess im looking for some synergy as well.

Greetings,

I usually play with my bro and he takes a ton of damage on his DPS Jugg. I am taking a break from my healer and want to tank with him.. My question is which tank can take the best beating pvp? I know the sin tank has great utility but for just shear damage reduction i'm thinking its prolly Jugg Tank.

For example, hypergate center. We are just gonna stay in the center and beat stuff down. I know pull would be great but not at the expense of being more squishy. I'm not gonna stealth out and leave him. So I guess its between PT tank and Jugg. Thoughts? Also, I will be rotating guards when he is not in trouble. I guess im looking for some synergy as well.

Jug, other tanks are squishy.

Remember this , a tank in tank gear survives longer, keeps your premade alive longer, and if you have DPS in your premade that knows how to peel, cc, and do great damage then all is well.

I understand the normal right now is DPS tank, I see it, but these DPS tanks are getting destroyed if they ain't getting chained healed. It's a fluff tank damage match of padding stats than actual DPS..

Anyways you want best DPS tank go jug.

Good luck.

Greetings,

If preponderance is any measure, you see more Jugg skank tanks than Assy skank tanks [although not by wide margin] and more Assy skank tanks than PT skank tanks.

In PVE it's a bit clearer. Assassins are currently considered the best tanks generally speaking, with Juggs as a close second.

That your preference would be to just stand toe to toe and just beat stuff down I'd recommend Jugg skank tank. I don't imagine you'd like stealthing out if just beating stuff down is where you are at [and I don't blame you, who doesn't like pummeling people into the ground like a hammer and a nail?!?] Jugg is more straight forward, easier play style, effective, and more aestetically in keeping when you think of a tank [big huge dude in heavy armor smashing like hulk].

But, you really can't go wrong with either one of them so go with the one than you identify more with. Best of luck.

Thx guys really appreciate it. I found that sin tank worked fine with my bro playing his shadow as there are escapes and stealth outs. However, my personality is more like a last stand type. Like Grim, I would prefer not to stealth out. Oh and by the way, I will throw a guard on you too if you stick around.. :p

Greetings,

Jug/sin are probably your best options for tanking. Sin are the best currently because of their utility. The meta now is not to wear mitigation gear or tanking relics in PvP. You will have more of a presence maximizing your dps/guard swaps and taunts then you would going full mit gear. The damage you gain from not going mit gear is extremely worth it and will help you win games. Don't get me wrong you can hear how you like but you would be missing out on massive pressure. Also if you are interested in solo ranked/group ranked going mit gear will actually be less benefital since it's all about which team does the most damage in an arena not how much damage you can take.

If you or your friends are struggling to stay alive as a tank I would try to maximum how you play first. Use your taunts on cd, use taunts on the correct targets (those who are doing the most damage), cc/mez correctly to have some breathing room, don't use all your CDs at once, communicate with your healer and help each other survive.

If you are being 1 shot on a tank regardless of gear that is a learn to play issue more than a gearing one.

Greetings,

In the absence of a healer u will last longer on a sin imo. Maybe you don't want to leave your friend alone but if u are on a jugg or pt u will just die anyways so may as well play a sin: stealth out, heal up, let ur buddy use some dcds and put the guard back on them when u are back at full hp. I don't know how the meta has changed with the recent class balancing but what I described to you is why sins are so frustrating to play against in solo ranked.

If u have a healer choice of tank won't matter much for regs it's more about which one would suit your playstyle (seems like jugg would suit you).

As far as mit stats go I'd recommend dropping them altogether and rocking some high hp dps mods and enh (if u want to be tanky). I prefer winning and dps gear seems to do the trick + witht he current gearing situation i can't be **** to get multiple sets. That being said I've seen some good tanks that favour high end dps gear.

Edited by LeglessChair

Thanks, I have both sin and Jugg atm. I do stay alive on the sin more due to the stealth. I have not had the opportunity to play on the sin with my bros Jugg. He takes 3-4 mill at times because he gets focused due to his high dps. I played the sin when he was on his shadow.

The other thing about the jugg is that it seems to hit a lot harder. Im getting 20k hits where on my sin it never seems to get close to that.

I may try both without a shield and see if I can stay tanky .. really to see how much difference it makes.