Vector Hyllus - The LoveBug thread - Haters make your own :P

Cowoline

BioWare is quite reluctant to give player characters opportunities to become parents until after a game/game series is over (and as far as I know, their female PCs have never had that chance - they're canonically turned into men first). I have headcanon of my own on that front, of course.

• 6 months later...

YAY finally someone to bask in one of the purest love stories in the game. Vette's is pure too, but Vector is the one I'd marry in real life. I adore his personal integrity and his willingness to always accept change. 

He is so sweet and kind and thoughtful and honest and open, absolutely one of the purest love stories with one of the purest characters.  IA deserves someone so completely good after what she goes through in the story.  And the scene where he comes to her having suppressed the hive mind so she can have him all to herself, my shippy heart was melt.

Honestly, my favorite Vector moment from base game is before that when he straight out asks if you're interested. I like that you both can take it slow, and truly know that you're both committed before any heavy romance starts. It's so much more natural than a few words fade-to-black there's real progression from attraction to deep affection to passion. I also love the last conversation in base game where PC says that the two of them are a family. Just gorgeous.

yes, I love so much that their relationship really feels earned and developed naturally, and leaves the class story on such a perfect note.  It is honestly hard to make a relationship really feel meaningful just in the short number of companion convos, but theirs absolutely does. 

And also same, I love that he just asks her directly if she is interested.  Just more proof of how open and sincere he is, which I love.   And as someone who is very bad at reading people, I felt so sympatico with him in that moment haha

Another thing I love is that he doesn't change himself for anyone or anything, he sticks to his guns, but isn't so stubborn that he can't adapt or accept people who disagree. That's so mature and considering he's only 26 when you first meet him I find it remarkable that he's achieved that confidence.

Agreed. 

Also, related to that maturity, I love that when he finds out that him getting joined was basically a science experiment (which I almost didn't learn about because I only did Lokin's companion convos for some last minute xp lmao), he's still ultimately happy with who he currently is regardless of how it happened. 

Lokin is one of my favorites because of his relationship with Vector, he may be an insane scientist and a compulsive liar but Vector sees and brings out his good qualities, and accepts him for who and what he is. That said, he isn't naive or overly sentimental. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah! Elara Dorne, Corso Riggs and Vector Hyllus are popular romance options that didn't get "story-important" screentime like Torian recently in Ruhnuk. I love Torian too but it can be done.

Just because their initial stories are sorta over, all you need to do is write more. Characters can "initiate" new initiatives of their own in the world. For instance, Gault could've been a closed book too but he "initiated" the liquid gold heist in KOTFE. Vector could, at any time, get an "idea" related to diplomacy -- not just based on killiks but for other factions.

Characters can always be written to grow and go beyond their original stories.

As much as I liked Vector prior to joining, I found the whole joining experience creepy as hell. Essentially, your every interaction with him from that point on is "live-streamed" to the entire Killik species plus all the joiners - talk about a romance killer. Not to mention, it makes it kind of hard to discuss secret spy tactics with him around. So wish it was possible to un-join him and get the original Vector back.

3 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Ummm it isn't a live stream to the hive if player doesn't want that Vector can repress things for privacy.

Even if he suppressed it for the moment it's happening, they'd still know since they'd be sharing his thoughts before and after. I really miss Vector having his own mind and his own thoughts - he was such a nice, well-balanced character. Not a fan of whole Borg (Killik) mentality.

1 hour ago, VegaMist said:

As much as I liked Vector prior to joining, I found the whole joining experience creepy as hell. Essentially, your every interaction with him from that point on is "live-streamed" to the entire Killik species plus all the joiners - talk about a romance killer. Not to mention, it makes it kind of hard to discuss secret spy tactics with him around. So wish it was possible to un-join him and get the original Vector back.

How could you like Vector pre-joining?

He's already a joiner the first time you meet him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

I'm pretty sure @VegaMist is confused.

Maybe I am. It's been a while since I played that story. For some reason, I remember him joining during the operative story (after you meet him). But maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

3 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Maybe I am. It's been a while since I played that story. For some reason, I remember him joining during the operative story (after you meet him). But maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

No, he's already a Joiner the very first time you meet him.

The only time you can have a glimpse at the "normal" Vector is during one of  the romance scenes where he temporarily cut the connection to his hive. That being said he's a special kind of Joiner, one who retained most of his original personality and some level of free will as well, as he's still able to make choices that go against what his nest wants.

• Like 3

Re-watching the scenes with Vector (thanks YouTube). I guess I did mix up the timeline. He is as intelligent, nice, and balanced as I remember (without being a wimp) - perfect romantic companion, if not for the Borg (Nest). I have two Imperial Agents already - one who romanced him, and one who didn't. Still wish there was a way to un-join him - the scene with him "disconnected" was by far the best (guess, that's where I remember seeing his eyes from).