Legacy Bank/Money

tommytiger

Don't know if many other people do/hate this but I often send credits back an forth between my 18 toons, and I often wish for the day we could deposit credits into our legacy storage to make it easier an faster for all toons on a account to draw from.

Would anyone else use this feature? or am I just lazy? :rak_02:

Don't know if many other people do/hate this but I often send credits back an forth between my 18 toons, and I often wish for the day we could deposit credits into our legacy storage to make it easier an faster for all toons on a account to draw from.

It's something that has been requested numerous times, and until someone is able to come up with a way to make it work so that F2P and preferred status accounts can't use it to bypass their credit limit, it's just not viable

It's something that has been requested numerous times, and until someone is able to come up with a way to make it work so that F2P and preferred status accounts can't use it to bypass their credit limit, it's just not viable

They could simply remove the feature to f2p and preferred players that way only subs can store credits in the legacy bank

I'd say that for preferred and F2P, the cap could be the same in legacy bank.

They could simply remove the feature to f2p and preferred players that way only subs can store credits in the legacy bank

OK. Next challenge: make it so the poor [REDACTED] who puts credits in the shared space doesn't have them locked away when his subscription ends.

AND without providing a mechanism to transfer credits between characters when not subscribed.(1)

(1) Bonus points if you can do this without permitting this credit-transfer scenario(2):

* Player puts credits in from character A.

* Player's subscription ends.

* Player withdraws sub-cap amount of credits to character B.

(2) I don't actually think it's reasonable to call this a credit transfer, and I don't think it's worth worrying about, but there are some (vocal) members of this community who include this in their definition of credit transfers (but not a similar mechanism involving a mail containing credits).

OK. Next challenge: make it so the poor [REDACTED] who puts credits in the shared space doesn't have them locked away when his subscription ends.

AND without providing a mechanism to transfer credits between characters when not subscribed.(1)

(1) Bonus points if you can do this without permitting this credit-transfer scenario(2):

* Player puts credits in from character A.

* Player's subscription ends.

* Player withdraws sub-cap amount of credits to character B.

(2) I don't actually think it's reasonable to call this a credit transfer, and I don't think it's worth worrying about, but there are some (vocal) members of this community who include this in their definition of credit transfers (but not a similar mechanism involving a mail containing credits).

You'd need to "paint" each credit source individually. Like character A = yellow, character B = blue etc.

Then make it so subscribers check for "any paint", so you can take any credits put in from any char.

And have preferred or f2p check for a "specific paint", so character A can only withdraw yellow painted credits.

Also you might want a legacy cap in place so people can't hoard millions, but then again they can now. If i get 100M during a sub and become preferred again i still have full access to that 100M. Anything i earn from that point on will be thrown in Escrow until i drop below 350k again, but those initial 100M is to be spend freely.

The main problem this gives is when people own 40 ish characters on the same legacy and you have 40 individual credit types, i wouldn't be surprised if this would clog up the coding too much. Or when a person would be moving servers this would be a coding nightmare no doubt.

You'd need to "paint" each credit source individually. Like character A = yellow, character B = blue etc.

Then make it so subscribers check for "any paint", so you can take any credits put in from any char.

And have preferred or f2p check for a "specific paint", so character A can only withdraw yellow painted credits.

Also you might want a legacy cap in place so people can't hoard millions, but then again they can now. If i get 100M during a sub and become preferred again i still have full access to that 100M. Anything i earn from that point on will be thrown in Escrow until i drop below 350k again, but those initial 100M is to be spend freely.

The main problem this gives is when people own 40 ish characters on the same legacy and you have 40 individual credit types, i wouldn't be surprised if this would clog up the coding too much. Or when a person would be moving servers this would be a coding nightmare no doubt.

OK. Now imagine this scenario; The player has 12 characters (leaving aside any question of how this many characters will work once he is preferred, thanks). Ten of the twelve deposit 100K credits each, all tagged as to who deposited them. Now the eleventh takes out 900K. Now the subscription drops. Now the twelfth tries to take the credits. How many credits are tagged with which tags? What if the twelfth was one of the depositors before the subscription drops?

What if a depositing character is subsequently deleted? Who can take those credits on the post-subscription account?

As far as I can see, the only way to handle this is to say that the first 350K (the preferred credit cap) is available to be withdrawn and then the rest can be withdrawn using an escrow transfer token. You ignore the question of the "on the sly" transfer because it isn't worth worrying about at this point. Just like the via-mail "on the sly" transfer that currently exists (send mail, subscription ends, receive mail) isn't worth worrying about.

Or to not implement the thing as (i) it is by no means necessary(1), and (ii) implementing it is full of fiddly details that will come back to bite ... someone. (The more complex you make a software system, the more prone it is to bugs...)

(1) Just mail all your credits to a "banker" character and have that character mail back amounts you want to "withdraw".

Will the following work:

1. When subscription ends, all the money in the Legacy Storage goes into Escrow, just like the excess money with individual characters.

2. When subscription resumes, all the money in Escrow (that originally came from the Legacy Storage) goes back into the Legacy Storage (less any money withdrawn from Escrow through CM purchases etc.)

3. Whenever a player opens the Legacy Storage, the game checks subscription status to decide whether cash deposits and withdrawals are allowed. (Same as now happens with in-game mail)

Do the above cover all potential scenarios?

I think the only way BW would get this to work properly would entail them first removing the credit cap restrictions entirely.

Since those are part of the "entice you to subscribe to remove seriously annoying restrictions" feature, I doubt we'll see this anytime soon, if ever.

I would use it if they did though.

Edited by Taramayne

While it would be a nice convenience, and I would of course use it, I doubt this is high on their priority list of things to work on.

My guess is there are a number of technical issues with doing this that make it not as simple as it would be nice. Of course they could overcome said issues, but at what cost... given resources would need to be pulled from something else that other players feel is more important.

Personally, I simply aggregate all credits over 1M on a character to my main GTN character. This character makes all large purchases and drops them in Legacy Cargo for any other character to pick it up. This keeps housekeeping simple and I always know where to get credits if I need them.

It is rare that I ever need to move credits from my GTN main, to other characters unless I roll a brand new character, in which case I mail the character 1M credits and they are self-sustaining from there on. Most characters are self-sustaining in terms of credit wealth and on average accumulate more wealth then needed.

Fair enough was more just curious I rarely enter the forum so didn't realise I was starting the next galactic war.

Shame it's not a priority would love it. Even if they made it a sub exclusive feature an all creds in there go to escrow if it lapses