Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

No SWTOR mention at the EA panel at SW Celebration?

Kirtastropohe

I get the panel was focused on Battlefront 2, and it was the only game talked about, but still... it was an EA product. How can you not have some mention of SWTOR?

You won't here much about SWTOR from EA until they are ready to talk about the Pseudo Star Wars MMO in development, it may be linked to this game somehow.

I get the panel was focused on Battlefront 2, and it was the only game talked about, but still... it was an EA product. How can you not have some mention of SWTOR?

If I had to guess, they're probably hoping to focus the attention of Star Wars fans on their new fancy Battlefront game, rather than the established (and not "dying" but kind of "just there") SWTOR. There are a lot more gains to be made there than hoping to bring people in (or back) to a years-old game that doesn't seem to be a major focus or target for investment by EA.

Edited by RarePorcupine

seems like they just wanted to do battlefront only, I was surprise they did not mention any new or current star wars games but battlefront, not any other upcoming star wars games, not swtor, and not galaxies of heroes at Star Wars celebration. You think EA would be smarter than that Edited by commanderwar

[Citation Needed]

They were hiring for positions that encompassed people that could program mmo elements, but also Destiny style elements etc. The producers have had interviews and they have alluded to basically a Star Wars version of Destiny/Titan Fall, that sort of pseudo mmo genre.

Edited by Darkside

They were hiring for positions that encompassed that could program mmo elements, but also Destiny style elements etc. The producers have had interviews and they have alluded to basically a Star Wars version of Destiny/Titan Fall, that sort of pseudo mmo genre.

Destiny is a first person shooter game so they'd be moving away from traditional mmo. Bet in that case it'll be available on the PS4.

seems like they just wanted to do battlefront only, I was surprise they did not mention any new or current star wars games but battlefront, not any other upcoming star wars games, not swtor, and not galaxies of heroes at Star Wars celebration. You think EA would be smarter than that

So, they haven't mentioned ANYTHING but Battlefront?

...gee that's really disappointing.

Well there isn't much to celebrate when it comes to SWTOR at the moment I'd say. Let's first see if they can stabilise the game and recover it from 5.0

This is kind of my thinking. Aside from the 5.0 abomination, Ben Irving was absent from the most recent live stream, they announced the delay of a much anticipated content patch, and then only a couple of days later they announced the producer staff change... the day before Orlando. My sixth, maybe even seventh sense tells me they might want to keep a low profile for just a little while.

Edited by Edyn

I think it would be a bit absurd for BW to try to support two MMO's simultaneously.

Oh, they wouldn't. If they release another SW MMO then this one is toast.

I don't picture them doing that, though, over a MOBA or ARPG, at this point. Sort of like how TSW is relaunching as an ARPG.

What I would love to see is a Borderlands 2 style FPS/MMO/RPG hybrid. Seems unlikely though. Still, if Gearbox can pull off incredibly good games with that model, so can Bioware.

Edited by stoopicus

i can't see how SWTOR could get a mention. i mean any type of mention will bring up questions that EA doesn't want answered just yet, especially considering that Keith has just taken over as the producer of SWTOR and the recent fiasco that Ben Irving pulled out.

Best to just ignore the game for now and come back to it when answers can be given in typical bioware fashion and when there is something on the table as to the new direction the game would take, like a producers roadmap of this game and new changes coming that will lead to bigger changes.

give it a few months, i am sure something will show up about SWTOR and with Keith has planned.

I think it would be a bit absurd for BW to try to support two MMO's simultaneously.

Bioware are not in charge of the other star wars game being developed, i believe that one was given to Visceral games, it's the same group who did Dead Space.

Edited by Celise

A new Star Wars MMO? I heard of Ben moving to a "great and new opportunity". I thought, that were good news...

Im pretty sure that was their nice way of saying " we fired his *** "

I hope they dont stop support for this and start something lame like Destiny....... If they do I will be getting it on xb1 because I cant be bothered and I dont have the money to upgrade my pc.

Oh, they wouldn't. If they release another SW MMO then this one is toast.

I don't picture them doing that, though, over a MOBA or ARPG, at this point. Sort of like how TSW is relaunching as an ARPG.

What I would love to see is a Borderlands 2 style FPS/MMO/RPG hybrid. Seems unlikely though. Still, if Gearbox can pull off incredibly good games with that model, so can Bioware.

Not really , most people who play swtor do not like FPS games, and I for one do not want to play first person shooter mmos, its lamer than lame.

I'm just hopeful the hiring of Keith marks the beginning of a new era in SWTOR. I've loved this game a long time, but the handling of these last two expansions nearly drove me away permanently.

Agreed. I think they are realizing SWTOR generates revenue and the core of players simply want the theme park updated. New operations and planet are a great start but it would be nice to get some new pvp, gsf maps too. Hearing about a new Flashpoint is also great.

Hopefully Keith will see the need to update items the vendors sell from obscure locations like CZ-198 to Security Fleet vendors or the Galactic Starfighter lounge on fleet. People will even do the repeat events if there are new items to obtain.

Agreed. I think they are realizing SWTOR generates revenue and the core of players simply want the theme park updated. New operations and planet are a great start but it would be nice to get some new pvp, gsf maps too. Hearing about a new Flashpoint is also great.

Hopefully Keith will see the need to update items the vendors sell from obscure locations like CZ-198 to Security Fleet vendors or the Galactic Starfighter lounge on fleet. People will even do the repeat events if there are new items to obtain.

It does generate revenue, but that revenue is in decline.

Viability is a question. https://i.redd.it/ckou96ca49yx.png

It does generate revenue, but that revenue is in decline.

Viability is a question. https://i.redd.it/ckou96ca49yx.png

That link is kinda useless. It's about revenue from last year before the the new expansion came out. An expansion is supposed to push revenue up at least for a few months but I'd be more interested to see what those numbers are since the release of 5.0

That link is kinda useless. It's about revenue from last year before the the new expansion came out. An expansion is supposed to push revenue up at least for a few months but I'd be more interested to see what those numbers are since the release of 5.0

Doubt the latest "expac" really did much if it didn't get worse. It was more solo content that could be completed in a few hours, and not only that but we also had the mess that was Galactic Command all thanks to Ben who thought that "RNG is exciting!!!!!!!!".

Hopefully the new Producer is actually listening to the feedback on the forums and sees that solo content (and especially trying to add RNG to progression) is NOT the way to go for this game.

Edited by Talon_strikes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.