The anxiety for my main toon (female Warrior)

Sitara

I'm not a anxious person at all, but one thing scares me a lot since a few days now. The War for Iokath will not be repetable so I only have one shoot with my Main. I know a bit what happends on Iokath bc of dataming and I'm affraid that Malavai and ,so Elara, become voiceless/meaningless Companions who will not being part of the future Story in swtor. I got a really bad feeling about that.

I don't want a silent LI bc the romance Scenes are one of the Storyparts I love in SWTOR so much.

Is there a chance to take away my anxious for my Main? *looks to Eric*

A voiceless and meaningless Malavai would destroy my Main!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's the thing. We had to make a choice between two companions before: Vette and Torian.

Because not everybody will make the same choice, it goes without saying that they can no longer be part of the main storyline. So by definition their role will be diminished.

The good news is that they will have the same status as before KotFE ruined our companions. The bad news is that it could be an excuse for BW to give less attention to them. So I suspect that with regards to romance and side comments in main story lines, they may not get much to add anymore.

Now, on the upside, it can't be worse than it is now. So I would think that these companions will remain as meaningless as they were since KotFE started or it will get a bit better as they are officially back in the loop. Because at least it means that there is a reason for them to have new lines again.

I think that overall if you care about your core companions the best move would've been to avoid KotFE and KotET entirely. Of course that cuts you out of a large part of the new story content and its continuation at the moment. Personally it is an unfortunate situation because for most of us, we started KotFE in good faith only to find out it was a bad idea to have faith in BW and we are stuck with an irreversible situation.

My advice if you're worried about your main....do the story with an alt first and see what happens. Or wait to see vids on youtube to learn from other players who did go through it.

I get your concern, I'm also not happy about the companion situation. I dread to think of the day that I have to choose between two companions that I really care about. Vette and Torian was already unfortunate. They're not my favourites but I did like both of them. In this case I don't like Quinn myself so that's an easy choice for my Rep characters, but I actually can't stand Quinn, so for my Empire characters I might get stuck with him because I will choose Empire and I don't want him. On the other hand I am happy for the people who love Quinn, so there's at least that.

Still if a person loves Quinn and Elara, then you're pretty much stuffed. And if you thought you finally had a chance to romance Quinn with a republic character...well, we'll have to see, but I doubt there will be new romance options.

Personally I am still waiting on other types of relationships. I may be hetero myself but I prefer lesbian relations in games because I tend to play female characters and I wish Star Wars would grow up and allow for same gender relationships in general. I never agreed with nor understood the bias against that, but that's another topic.

All in all you'd be best off not playing your main first or being a little patient and first find out from others what choices and consequences are out there.

thx @Tsillah for you answer, but as I said before, I'm not an anxious person att all. I will go with my Main through the story, I always did and I will do it again.

To wait what happends in the future with our Companions and playing the story if it is clear ... so that is not the way I spend my free time in a game. I want to explore anything but I have the bad feeling right now that these two Comps, Elara and Quinn, will not be part of the Main Charakters. To make it clear, both will be find under other companions and that would mean, that both never ever have any lines in the game anymore. I have no idea what it was that makes me feel that way ... I just afraid that my feelings are right and I must say goodbye to my favorite companion. To have him as a comp but not important in story anymore would ruin this game for me totally. That was one thing what I loved in swtor so much, your interactions with your Companions.

My female SW will kill Quinn once she has the chance. Does Quinn think she has forgotten? Does Quinn think she has forgiven? Treason will be punished. There is no escape. I also never romanced Quinn with her, because she doesn't do romance and she frowns on fraternization.

Of course Elara is the same issue. She, too, is a traitor, but IC our SW don't know that at this point. So my male SW will likely punish her and take Quinn back. After all, the devil you know, right? And, from the POV of my MaleJug, Quinn has somewhat redeemed himself in the end (after all, he healed that SW through the Baras fight back in the days; my female SW went with Treek.)

How this will all be implemented, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That being said, the companions don't break your character. Your characters aren't defined by their entourage. You define your characters through your actions.

Edited by Diefenbaker

thx @Tsillah for you answer, but as I said before, I'm not an anxious person att all. I will go with my Main through the story, I always did and I will do it again.

To wait what happends in the future with our Companions and playing the story if it is clear ... so that is not the way I spend my free time in a game. I want to explore anything but I have the bad feeling right now that these two Comps, Elara and Quinn, will not be part of the Main Charakters. To make it clear, both will be find under other companions and that would mean, that both never ever have any lines in the game anymore. I have no idea what it was that makes me feel that way ... I just afraid that my feelings are right and I must say goodbye to my favorite companion. To have him as a comp but not important in story anymore would ruin this game for me totally. That was one thing what I loved in swtor so much, your interactions with your Companions.

Well I suspect you care a lot about one or both of these companions. There is one thing though. In case of Vette and Torian one of them had to die so that takes them out of the loop. What I didn't think about yet was that in this case you make a choice but it may not mean that the other one actually dies, so in that sense there's hope yet for these two.

None of the returned characters have any kind of story assosiated with them.

Even if you get one of your class companions back i.e. Kaliyo, she will no longer get influence increses from SM FPs or H2s, only way to increse the rank is via companion gifts.

Well I suspect you care a lot about one or both of these companions. There is one thing though. In case of Vette and Torian one of them had to die so that takes them out of the loop. What I didn't think about yet was that in this case you make a choice but it may not mean that the other one actually dies, so in that sense there's hope yet for these two.

This decision was one of the hardest I must ever make in this game. But Vette and Torian are part of the Story and I'm good with that. But WfI is not a Chapter, you can play it without seeing Kotfe or kotet at all. For example: you have a LI with Theron through Kotfe/kotet and now your hubby is back you must decide if you get back to him or staying with Theron. What if, if you get back to Malavai but he is not part of the story anymore? For that toon there will be no more romance scene at all, bc these Comps have to be Main Charakters to appear in that special scenes.

My feelings after i read the dataming is, that both,Elara and Quinn, will not be part of the Main Characters.

And when I take my Trooper through theStory he will have the same problem too.

None of the returned characters have any kind of story assosiated with them.

Even if you get one of your class companions back i.e. Kaliyo, she will no longer get influence increses from SM FPs or H2s, only way to increse the rank is via companion gifts.

But they appear in the romance scene *remembers of Vette in the last kotet chapter*

That being said, the companions don't break your character. Your characters aren't defined by their entourage. You define your characters through your actions.

That's way too self-centered a way of looking at it, for me. (Not calling you that personally, just the approach) If my character was the only thing that mattered I may as well go play any one of the other (companionless) mmos out there, at least they have more content.

i.e. Kaliyo, she will no longer get influence increses from SM FPs or H2s, only way to increse the rank is via companion gifts.

Which is sad enough, but their mouths don't even move anymore afterwards and they get a generic, stripped down bio. Also no more little comments when you go to certain areas.

Edited by grania

Definitely killing Quinn because I cannot think of a situation in which he would be allowed to live. The only reason why he was useful was because he was the only healing companion the Warrior had.

And if you want to go with "if this was actually real," Quinn still wouldn't be of much help anyways. Vette outmatch him in cunning, and as far as battle strategy goes, you have far more experience and then you have LT. Pierce. Plus there is Theron and Lana, so Quinn literally is useless and must be killed :D

Yea this is a Problem, What if a characters L.I. is Not one of the ones BW says were *Supposed to have and our *Chosen L.I. ends up just a shell standing in the corner? Personally I thought Lana was ok but nothing more then that. I'm ready to get back with the Peeps I've known so long. My main did the Knights story and I'll have to make do with that but my 2nd will never do any part of that.

Is the choice between Quinn and Dorne actually the point of this thread or..? Am I having reading comprehension issues this morning? :D Ya'll keep answering like you think she doesn't know who to pick, but maybe I just need more coffee :o

No one is going to be able to calm your anxiety because your fears are correct. You'll just have to face them, sorry.

Really, though, companions haven't had much new content since the original story, they were mostly silent in Makeb and completely mute with SoR, so you'll just have to do what you did then - play pretend. The most I expect out of an og relationship going forward is a letter.

Maybe they'll fix the issue with the returned companions being completely silent. Hopefully, it's a bug and not a deliberate decision.

This decision was one of the hardest I must ever make in this game. But Vette and Torian are part of the Story and I'm good with that. But WfI is not a Chapter, you can play it without seeing Kotfe or kotet at all.

Well datamined information is not allowed to be discussed on these forums so I won't go into that.

The new storyline may not be a chapter as such but I'm pretty sure it's part of the continuing story line. To be honest, I'm not even sure we'll see this style of chapters again in 6.0 but we'll see.

The thing is you can play KotET without playing KotFE as well and you can play it without any of the previous main stories as well. So this is not a new thing. BWA have gone the way now where people can jump into the latest part right away. I think it's a shame but it's a direct result of the direction they chose for the game and I think it's cost the game a lot of depth.

So I suppose this is just part of the continued lack of depth. They just create (now idiosyncratic) epic, over-the-top stuff in order to distract people from the lack of depth and character development. I think none of the core companions will come out any better. They just need to give them a place in the new stories to bring them back officially and then be done with them.

I'm really interested to see what will happen with the next main story installment for two reasons:

1) Are they going to continue with the same chapter approach of KotFE and KotET?

2) Are they going to step away from this Zakuul nonesense or not?

I'm curious about that because I really wonder if anybody still has an idea what they're doing at BWA.

But I do think the days of meaningful companion relations are in the past.

For some of us companions are an important part of who and what our characters are. Destroying a companion that is this important can ruin a character.

I can't imagine my fem warrior planning anything with incompetent Beniko, while her strategic genius is there to serve her again. Action? What action can I take to banish Beniko from Odessen, and make Quinn my chief advisor in all military and strategic matters?

None.

And people, the OP isn't interested in your sharing you will kill Quinn. The OP would like to know if after this non-chapter story bit Quinn and Dorne will be in Main Characters window, and sometimes pop in cutscenes, or be added to Other Followers, and be absent from any story completely in the future.

I still think that as they return in the storyline, not Alliance Alert, they should end up in Main Characters section, not Other Followers.

But I'm sure they won't play any meaningful part of the story. This is Beniko / Shan show. Not even your character is this important. It's just a ragdoll thrown as they feel like it.

And people, the OP isn't interested in your sharing you will kill Quinn. The OP would like to know if after this non-chapter story bit Quinn and Dorne will be in Main Characters window, and sometimes pop in cutscenes, or be added to Other Followers, and be absent from any story completely in the future.

Thx Sweetie, you know what I'm worry about *hugs*

OP, the situation seems dismal. But I've found it helps to talk to other fans, some people find it helps to write stories and draw pictures. The game may never go back in the direction we want it to. At least we probably have those "plug in the appropriate LI" kissy scenes to look forward to that we weren't even getting before.

It doesn't have to be doom and gloom, though it gets to me too sometimes.

It is only a game, OP. .......

I appreciate that people have a lot of RP-wise vested interests in the companions, for them it's hard to bear to have a few cutscenes and for their long-lost LI's to become another cookie cutter sidekick. - Especially if you have to let one survive and one not.

Form my own PoV, what Quinn did to a completely un-related character, means he has to go. I just hope it's long and slow and incredibly painful, not just a blaster bolt to the head or a light-sabre to the guts. I wanna hear him scream.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

It is only a game, OP. .......

you are right,I spend my freetime in that game, love the story, especally the Warrior Story and why should I spend my time in a game which make me feel like i'm feeling right now?

I do rp and i write fanfic about that and a most important part in my stories are the relationships not the fightings. Malavai is a very big part of her story and as her husband, he should always play a important role in her live/story. Why do we have got the chanc to get married if this has no impact at all anymore?

Even after Kotet i have had faith that someday will all be like it was and a relationships have meaning once again in this game but since a few days I really get the feeling that all the storys before Kotfe are worthless and so the relationsships with all vanilla companions.

Don't get me wrong, I love Theron and Lana, both are very well writen but my toon has a diffrent view of her future as it BW maybe have. Sure, we don't know right now where the story goes, but I pray that a marriage counts in some ways.

If you want to kill Malavai ..go ahead, your toon your story :-D

If you want to kill Malavai ..go ahead, your toon your story :-D

Hehe, my concern with 5.2 is that if I choose Empire that I have to accept Quinn as companion. I want to be able to choose Empire AND choose whether I keep him as a companion or not. Death might be one way but you are quite right, it should be a choice.

Now, in the last livestream the devs showed a quick part of the discussion between a sith warrior and quinn and it implies that there might be a choice to kill him. I say might, because it's not certain.

But if that's true and people can kill him if they want to (as a sith warrior particularly), then I fear it automatically means his overall importance to the story will disappear as he will no longer exist in accordance with the choice to kill him. In that case, for those players, he clearly cannot be part of the story anymore as, well, he'd be dead. But that automatically means also that it doesn't make sense to make him a key player in the story in general because the main story can only use npc's that are alive in all variations that the game offers in the story.

Therefore there is a good chance (but it's not certain yet) that this story will be his final time to shine in the story since he can no longer be part of the main story after this if indeed he is killable as an option.

Not what you would want to hear but I fear it's reality, the moment we find out that he can be killed.

Therefore there is a good chance (but it's not certain yet) that this story will be his final time to shine in the story since he can no longer be part of the main story after this if indeed he is killable as an option.

Not what you would want to hear but I fear it's reality, the moment we find out that he can be killed.

The sad truth is that it applies to all but Shan, Beniko, and... Gault, I think. Everyone else can be dead for some players, so they never get anything meaningful.

Personally I think it's a terrible decision by BW. First they took them away in KOTFE, then made them expendable, which in the end means they are as good as gone from the main story. Didn't they get enough proof that many players count about their fav vanilla comps? Not all are enamoured with Theron and Lana (only).

They are giving them back only to get them killed off? Or as good as killed off? :( My warrior won't talk to her husband ever again because someone else killed him in their story?

The sad truth is that it applies to all but Shan, Beniko, and... Gault, I think. Everyone else can be dead for some players, so they never get anything meaningful.

I haven't kept score but essentially yes. This is one of the main reasons why I disagreed with their decision to bring companions to the forefront of the story lines. It's not a safe place to be. I mean sure, if your Revan or Kephess you can come back from the dead multiple times. But various other npc's will get the short end of the stick and this is now the fate of a lot of companions.

I sometimes wonder if BW have this thing where staff rotates so regularly that the new writers hate the old companions and characters and therefore want to make new ones and phase out the old as they are not "their" creations. That's something I also wondered about in DA and ME.

Personally I think it's a terrible decision by BW. First they took them away in KOTFE, then made them expendable, which in the end means they are as good as gone from the main story. Didn't they get enough proof that many players count about their fav vanilla comps? Not all are enamoured with Theron and Lana (only).

Yes, the one fell swoop that takes all of them away if you start KotFE is the other reason I didn't like what they did with core companions. Again I have to wonder if this is part of arrogant writers who don't want to deal with older characters and BW being stingy and not wanting certain npc's to become too popular for fear they might have to pay the voice actors a fair wage accordingly.

They are giving them back only to get them killed off? Or as good as killed off? :( My warrior won't talk to her husband ever again because someone else killed him in their story?

Well, you may talk again but not more than the usual random comments that you generically get from companions. They will not be a major player anymore though. It couldn't be unless they would write different stories for it, but then if they can do that, they can do class specific stories...and well, that ship has long sailed as we understand it.

No, I'd say that the main reason they want to take their time in bringing back old companions is to make them part of the story one final time before setting them on the sidelines. For a single story moving forward, the old companions are strings they don't want to be attachted to anymore. This is just their way of selling it to us. By doing it this way people will accept each step, one at a time, and by the end we will have accepted enough to realise that by then it's irreversible and nothing can be done to accept it. I just really don't see BW really have 3 objectives with core companions:

1) Bring them back to allow them a final bow in the story to appease older fans

2) Putting them outside of the main story field so they are no longer in the way of the single story

3) Thinning the herd in general cause they realised they went overboard with companion numbers

That's my view on it.