SWTOR is less than a month old, wow is 7 years old. Why do people compare?

Dathron

Im here cause i thought this would be a good game, but now i cant play more than 2 hours before i get very bored. mayeb im just waiting for some miracle to happen and they get their **** together but i doubt it will happen before free time is over. Soon we will see how much people are playing this for "innovative" storytelling and paying for it.

Kinda amusing, you said 95% of the people in this amazing thread are complaining yet the majority are defending or praising it. sucks for you I guess.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im here cause i thought this would be a good game, but now i cant play more than 2 hours before i get very bored. mayeb im just waiting for some miracle to happen and they get their **** together but i doubt it will happen before free time is over. Soon we will see how much people are playing this for "innovative" storytelling and paying for it.

Miracles? So you admit you're being illogical just as much as the expectation of this game launching with the same current features of a game launched several years ago. That's a good start.

Miracles don't happen. The game will steadily improve, supported by an increasingly large userbase, prompted by the stellar reviews that are going to hit between now and january, but it won't completely flip over and change overnight.

if you think this game is crap,may want to just go play one you enjoy instead of trolling this one. It'd be way more constructive. No game is for everyone, and this one quite evidently isn't for you.

Don't worry though, it's for a lot of other people.

Edited by Abriael

I see a complete lack of any kind of realism in this post, considering that this is the most polished, content-rich and feature-rich launch of the history of the genre. Wow's included, mind you.

if this is a "poor beta" i wonder what every other MMORPG in the market, wow included, launched as. Pre-alpha friends & family code?

"poor beta" is just another of those example of using extreme hyperbole to prove a false point. They are rather amusing to read, though, it shows how desperate some people are to give this game some bad press. Must be very though for you guys. I feel for you.

Most polished, based on whet evidence? I'm still getting bugs now and the game launched with bugs that were highlighted in beta. People keep saying it's the most polished mmo launch to date but that's not true in my experience.

Most polished, based on whet evidence? I'm still getting bugs now and the game launched with bugs that were highlighted in beta. People keep saying it's the most polished mmo launch to date but that's not true in my experience.

No MMORPG has no bugs. This game has considerably LESS and less gamebreaking bugs than any other MMORPG at launch since the inception of the genre.

Edited by Abriael

Miracles? So you admit you're being illogical just as much as the expectation of this game launching with the same current features of a game launched several years ago. That's a good start.

Miracles don't happen. The game will steadily improve, supported by an increasingly large userbase, prompted by the stellar reviews that are going to hit between now and january, but it won't completely flip over and change overnight.

if you think this game is crap,may want to just go play one you enjoy instead of trolling this one. It'd be way more constructive. No game is for everyone, and this one quite evidently isn't for you.

Don't worry though, it's for a lot of other people.

Not same current features but 0.5-2 sec action delay in PVP and horrible UI and AH UI is something that doesnt need 7 years of designing. On those parts WoW was better already at launch, maybe Bioware should have taken lesson from it.

The thing is people want instant gratification with any new mmo. If an mmo does not have their feature, it is a turn off and then they will continue to flame the game.

Rift had a fairly bug free game but crazy ques to get into the game, the second people found out (because gamers do not do research because of that instant gratification idea) there was one starting area, people began to flame a perfectly good mmo.

Point is, enjoy your game, nay sayers can jump in a sarlacc pit. They will find their game, you will find yours, the world will spin and

somewhere a ewok is learning to be a sith

!

Edited by silverdanta

All of these analogies are incorrect. Most of the people here do not know how game development and businesses work.

Take a look at these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_document

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design_document

When a game is commissioned by a game publisher to the developer team, the document must be created by the developer team and it is often attached to the agreement between publisher and developer; the developer has to adhere to the GDD during game development process.

Some companies do this, some do things a little differently. The point I am trying to make is the developers needed to talk to their bosses about everything with the game. You cannot be told to "have 6 classes in this game" and developers only create 1 class. They would get fired if they do not follow the rules of the bosses.

Everybody is also underestimating how long it takes to create (or even modify) a game engine, then program the content.

So NO, absolutely this game should NOT be compared to WoW 2011, because developers need to stick to rules (or the game design document) to the letter. They probably looked at WoW before development started. THAT is when this should be compared to WoW.

Basically, if this game needs to compete with EVERY feature of WoW AT ALL TIMES, we will have another Duke Nukem Forever.

For the car analogy: Manufacturer A makes a car. Manufacturer B makes a car to compete with A's car. Now, this is the important thing, AND IT HAPPENED WITH WOW AS WELL: Manufacturer A released an enhanced version of the car (S-Class or something you see from car manufacturers). Now, if B NEEDS to have the NEW features of A's S-Class, they will need to scrap SOME of their work to add the new features.

Do you see where this is going? We would have another "Duke Nukem Forever" game. Because, as BW developers TOR, Blizzard makes a AWESOME FEATURE!!!! BW delays TOR release so they can add that same AWESOME FEATURE!!!! Blizzard does it again, and we repeat.

Bottom line: No, it is NOT FAIR to compare this to 2011 WOW.

Not same current features but 0.5-2 sec action delay in PVP and horrible UI and AH UI is something that doesnt need 7 years of designing. On those parts WoW was better already at launch, maybe Bioware should have taken lesson from it.

Your continuous use of unrealistic hyperbole shows a degree of desperation in trying to demonstrate a false point. Never seen a 2 sec delay in PvP or anywhere.

The AH and UI are fully functional. The fact that you *prefer* the AH and UI setups other games have is irrelevant.

No MMORPG has no bugs. This game has considerably LESS and less gamebreaking bugs than any other MMORPG at launch since the inception of the genre.

Evidence to support this statement please.

Also I'm not saying it should be bug free. I'm saying that they should have addressed the bugs highlighted in the beta.

Evidence to support this statement please.

Log in the game. That's your evidence. You still didn't bring a single contrary example.

Also I'm not saying it should be bug free. I'm saying that they should have addressed the bugs highlighted in the beta.

They addressed a vast majority of the bugs highlighed in the beta. As for development on every game, some bugs have higher priority, some have a lower one. Some Can be solved fast, some can't. It's unrealistic to demand a delay of a MMORPG over very minor bugs.

Edited by Abriael

Your continuous use of unrealistic hyperbole shows a degree of desperation in trying to demonstrate a false point. Never seen a 2 sec delay in PvP or anywhere.

The AH and UI are fully functional. The fact that you *prefer* the AH and UI setups other games have is irrelevant.

Most popular thread on whole forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738

I skipped most of the thread, but if I for example say I'm selling a car, you picture a 2011 type car, not a 1940's smoke in your face death trap. Same goes for games, if you anno 2011 release a game, there's a certain standard you should live up to or you will justifiably be considered as crappy and bad.

Most popular thread on whole forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738

A thread on a forum is hardly representative of a game's total population.

I skipped most of the thread, but if I for example say I'm selling a car, you picture a 2011 type car, not a 1940's smoke in your face death trap. Same goes for games, if you anno 2011 release a game, there's a certain standard you should live up to or you will justifiably be considered as crappy and bad.

This apple to oranges comparison has already been shot down multiple times. May have wanted not to skip most of the thread.

Different markets, different development cycles, different evolutionary procedures, apples to oranges.

Edited by Abriael

Please read my post. That analogy is so very incorrect. You are developing the car NOW, so you have the knowledge already.

Some of the features people want, were only added to WoW a couple of years ago or so. BW did NOT have that knowledge when they created their development rules or game design document. Developers follow the rules of the company (changes have to go through legal, and all of that stuff).

Edited by Nighthawked

A thread on a forum is hardly representative of a game's total population.

No but constructive Thread about isue that many people are suffering and already opened second time cause first thread hit the cap is some indicator that im not imagine ability delay beeing an issue but i guess cause u havent seen it it doesnt exist.

Log in the game. That's your evidence. You still didn't bring a single contrary example.

They addressed a vast majority of the bugs highlighed in the beta. As for development on every game, some bugs have higher priority, some have a lower one. Some Can be solved fast, some can't. It's unrealistic to demand a delay of a MMORPG over very minor bugs.

No, logging into the game is not evidence.

As for launching with known bugs. It's either beta or it's release. Software should not be commercially released with known bugs.

Short answer? Because SWTOR (namely BW) has been trying to market this game as the WoW-killer. Similar features marketed to the same audience. You're supposed to compare them.

Besides, if 7+ years of development makes a game beyond compare, why bother playing this one?

The onus is on BW to produce a game at WoW's 7+ year mark and then expand on it. Unfortunately, it really only falls somewhere around the 3-5 year mark.

As for launching with known bugs. It's either beta or it's release. Software should not be commercially released with known bugs.

You are kidding right?

Guess what? Microsoft Windows have bugs...or even security holes that need to be patched! What about my Photoshop bug patches? It is impossible to program bug-free.

Short answer? Because SWTOR (namely BW) has been trying to market this game as the WoW-killer. Similar features marketed to the same audience. You're supposed to compare them.

Besides, if 7+ years of development makes a game beyond compare, why bother playing this one?

The onus is on BW to produce a game at WoW's 7+ year mark and then expand on it. Unfortunately, it really only falls somewhere around the 3-5 year mark.

And that is where it should be compared. Around year 5 or so. Everybody needs to take a look at my post. Developers have to follow rules set out BEFORE development begins.

No but constructive Thread about isue that many people are suffering and already opened second time cause first thread hit the cap is some indicator that im not imagine ability delay beeing an issue but i guess cause u havent seen it it doesnt exist.

Constructive or not (and you really shouldn't talk about constructive), it's no representation of the total population of the game.

if you want to deny reality, go right ahead, but you still didn't bring any contrary example. I'm waiting.

You evidently aren't in touch with the reality of the MMORPG market, since you're saying that no MMORPG in the history of the genre should have been launched, at all.

@Abriael Thank you for saying 2 pages ago where you slammed my post that you felt for me. Reality is the launcher is soo poor that personally I havent even managed to get into the game. I have been swapping hardware, running diagnostics, manually downloading the files and it now seems the problem might be corrupted files from BW!!!!!! Ill know in 6 hours after yet another full dl from scratch. So when I say the game is substandard in many ways I have a genuine beef with the coding!

ps. enough with the word hyperbole already, its like you learned a new word! :D