SWTOR is less than a month old, wow is 7 years old. Why do people compare?

Dathron

I hope you are joking about this. You can level anywhere you want.

Starting planet is also 100% better then WoW's basic crap. One you get your ship, you can level anywhere you want. You can even level in PvP alone if thats your choice, and WoW never offered that. Dunno if it does now, but never did before and I played up to End of BC and checked out FT, which was utter crap.

You can level in Pvp in WoW now.

But holy hell Old Republic only enough planets to get from 1-50 and you HAVE to level through them again. In WoW if I wanted I could go to darkshore, loch Modan or Elwynn Forest and once I reached level 10 I had more choices. You seriously must not know what linear is because in TOR your limited to where you can quests and if you can even pick up some quests.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but the features of a newly released game are going up against the current features of other games right at that point and time. While I'll admit, I can accept the bugs because you cannot copy the game code for a game, it's hard to accept features that are successful in other games (not just one) that are lacking in this one.

I understand what you are saying however...MMO's have always started out with the basic features <please don't say WoW had these basic features because they didn't> and have added. Instead of looking at this game as a finished product, look at it as a work in progress. What you call basic features are really not the standard, no matter what someone thinks. WoW really didnt' set the standard for basic features, they set the standards for making features better. So saying that, the difference is THIS ISN:T WOW. This game has to find its own flavor and like a good stew the cook is still adding to it.

You can level in Pvp in WoW now.

But holy hell Old Republic only enough planets to get from 1-50 and you HAVE to level through them again. In WoW if I wanted I could go to darkshore, loch Modan or Elwynn Forest and once I reached level 10 I had more choices. You seriously must not know what linear is because in TOR your limited to where you can quests and if you can even pick up some quests.

I stopped reading when I saw your name was related to WoW. Seriously...

I understand what you are saying however...MMO's have always started out with the basic features <please don't say WoW had these basic features because they didn't> and have added. Instead of looking at this game as a finished product, look at it as a work in progress. What you call basic features are really not the standard, no matter what someone thinks. WoW really didnt' set the standard for basic features, they set the standards for making features better. So saying that, the difference is THIS ISN:T WOW. This game has to find its own flavor and like a good stew the cook is still adding to it.

The cook gave me chicken noodle soup without the noodles!!

Noodles = /roll, btw. >_>

I stopped reading when I saw your name was related to WoW. Seriously...

And what's the hate on Chromie? She's only the bestest gnome ever! :D

Edited by Barathos

I don't get why this debate comes up time and again. It's as if people think there is a single right answer when, instead, there is only a right answer at the individual level.

This month of playing SWTOR I admit, I've evaluated the game and weighed it against World of Warcraft, and now, as I approach the end of the story of my Jedi Knight my decision is fairly firm.

SWTOR offers a decent class story, but I have found myself rapidly burning through my Knight's story riding a crest of fun, only to deflate when I realized I had to go back and do other content on the planet to up my level and maintain a comfort gap in approaching the next wave of story. I spacebar through the non-story stuff because I find it dull, and damnit, just give me quest so I can bulldoze through this and get back to the narrative.

I also realized that I like my character's look ( http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd370/orchidfu/Screenshot_2012-01-20_16_22_34_226000.jpg if you're curious ), I like one of my companions (Kira Carsen), and I like the general atmosphere of the game.

With World of Warcraft I realize the game is on the downtime swing of Cataclysm development phase and we're beginning the drought of content before Mists of Pandaria. I pretty much stepped out of raiding this expansion except in the act of plugging holes in a few friends' guild and slumming it in LFR, and the new five mans, while fun, are starting to get a bit old as I grind out the last of my VP gear.

So, it's been an ongoing evaluation, playing the games side by side, and my personal preference is going to be WoW. While heroics may be getting a bit boring I spend far less of my time doing them then I do slogging through the quest material I don't like in SWTOR, and at cap I face the same cycle of dailies, heroics, and raiding I'm bored with in WoW -- and as unpopular it may be to say here, without the tools that allow me to jettison half of the inconvenience of putting together groups. I realize I still enjoy doing dailies in WoW, and I enjoy slumming it in LFR because I get to group up with friends from 4 or 5 different guilds that I wouldn't normally get to raid with because differing raid schedules and skill levels. On top of that, MoP is running with the idea of providing mutiple avenues towards gearing up and introducing the much maligned pet battles as well as small group scenarios. I also get to beta test.

TL;DR: It comes down to features, in the end, for me, and that's just the way I see things. It's neither right nor wrong, it's pure personal preference. A lot of people -- on both sides -- would do good to remember that. Priorities differ.

What are they suppose to compare it too, a toaster?

The assumption that things must be compared in order to adequately evaluate only one of them is at base erroneous.

SWTOR is itself: Can it improve, certainly. But I really don't want WoW here. I want SWTOR to be everything it should be.

Some of the 'creature comforts' others are calling for might not be good for SWTOR.

When you go to buy a brand new car today, do you expect it to have perform and have features of modern cars, or cars built 7 years ago? That's what research and development time is for.

Upcoming updates to the game should be improving the game by today's standards, not implementing things that were feature sets innovated 7 years ago.

What is more annoying is when people compare SWTOR launch to WOW launch. How can people boast about SWTOR having a better launch then WOW at 2004. People complain because its 2012, WOW came out in in 2004 and apparently SWTOR still is lacking in content?

Yeah, and BW had more then enough time to see what WoW did and either copy it and/or improve on it. They didn't.

Why would they? Did you want a reskinned wow with lightsabers or a new game? Dont be dumb.

Tor != WoW

OK, you don't like comparing with WoW. What about Swtor is like Windows 95 and trying compete with Windows 7? Time line is irrelevant, product overall quality is.

Sounds like yet another comparison, except you asserted which is which. Invalid.

What is it that you have to compare things to know if one of them is good? Why not just evaluate whether the one is good? If you evaluate that it doesn't suit you, then you are an idiot for sticking around.

Sounds like yet another comparison, except you asserted which is which. Invalid.

What is it that you have to compare things to know if one of them is good? Why not just evaluate whether the one is good? If you evaluate that it doesn't suit you, then you are an idiot for sticking around.

I'm sticking around for one reason, because "ignorant fools" like you providing me with tons of entertainment. Free circus, BW should consider putting toll on forums, too much laugh for for free.

I have been using Win 95, got it working perfectly, does not mean that I want use it again instead product with better quality.

We could also compare C64 and ZX80 Spectrum graphics, my personal experience goes that far back.

When you go to buy a brand new car today, do you expect it to have perform and have features of modern cars, or cars built 7 years ago? That's what research and development time is for.

Upcoming updates to the game should be improving the game by today's standards, not implementing things that were feature sets innovated 7 years ago.

Why would they? Did you want a reskinned wow with lightsabers or a new game? Dont be dumb.

Tor != WoW

Yeah, and WoW copied stuff from games before it and wasn't a reskinned version of them, and in fact became the most popular and successful MMO of all time. Don't be dumb.

and at cap I face the same cycle of dailies, heroics, and raiding I'm bored with in WoW

and this is the major problem with this game. All the "innovation" is directly related to the leveling process, a process that, EVEN IF YOU SIT THROUGH EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF DIALOGUE AND THINK OUT EVERY RESPONSE, is finite. It ends. You hit max level. And once you hit 50, your class story is done. It's gone! There's no more! Sometimes even before you hit 50. The whole "story" pillar is pretty much completely nonexistent at max level.

So you hit 50, regardless of how long it took you, and the game is almost an exactly copy of WoW minus a few features that I really don't give a damn about (like RDF, I actually enjoy being required to interact with my fellow players) and a few features that I do give a damn about (Rated/Ranked PvP and gear that doesn't require hitting the jackpot on a slot machine).

You raid (no story involved), you do some meaningless pvp to rank up in a system that doesn't reward skill in the slightest (it's worse than some people's ridiculous perceptions of arena, trust me), maybe you do a heroic or two and most of them have almost no dialogue choices or compelling story elements.

There's a reason I quit WoW: Because at max level, the game is a snoozefest. You never have to leave your capitol city (just like SWTOR! never have to leave the fleet), world PvP is reduced to one zone in the entire game and is completely meaningless (ILUM ANYONE?), and I really dislike the modern era WoW raid system of multiple raid sizes for the same content and multiple difficulty levels for the same content (HEY LOOK SWTOR IS THE EXACT SAME YET AGAIN).

I wanted something different from WoW. The leveling was fairly different, and it was fun WHILE IT LASTED. The endgame has been a total disappointment.

Also, stop saying "DONT RUSH TO 50", the game's been out for 5 weeks at this point, my mom could have hit 50 by now and she doesn't even know how to copy and paste in Microsoft Word. This isn't EQ1 here bros, it's not that hard or time consuming to level.

Smartphone released last year...has all the modern features but people aren't thrilled with the design and has a few problems. The company works hard refines the phone to be functional and enjoyable.

Smartphone of 'back in the day' is very polished, very customizable, they've owned previous editions of the phone, has everything most people want, and all their friends have one.

Smartphone is just released...its missing GPS, many commonly used apps aren't available for it, has performance issues and uses a relatively unproven platform. It could get better in the future, but no one knows for sure if that will happen or when that will be.

Which phone are you going to choose?

Being 'just released' isn't an excuse that cuts it for most people now days. They expect companies to learn from one another, even steal ideas if they need to, in order to stay competitive. I expect the car I drive, the phone I carry, the computer I use, and the games I play to be better than what was offered 5, 6, or even 7 years ago.

Problem is, SWTOR doesn't bring ANYTHING NEW to mmo genre. We have seen everything before. I am lvl 47 and have been bored from lvl 40. I don't care about bugs, every game has them. But Star Wars universe is not enough if everything else is just average. Edited by jarosujo

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but some people act as if Bioware has access to all the tricks, trade secrets and 7 years of accumulated knowledge Blizzard has at their disposal. I would think successful companies would keep the secrets of their success a secret. I admit, I know nothing about how the process of creating a game works, but I would think it would be like anything else, and companies would closely guard the "secrets" to their successes using disclosure agreements, patents and various other legal avenues. In other words, I highly doubt it's as easy as, "let's just copy from WoW", etc., and Bioware had/has to "re-invent the wheel" many times in many different ways and for many reasons. Something people think should be simple, like say LFG, may be very difficult to accomplish without infringing on Blizzard. I could be wrong, like I said, I don't know. Edited by adamaj

WoW was not the first MMO nore was it original all WoW did was take the MMO template and improve upon it by removing things that were annoying (e.g crafting had a chance to fail) it did this with games Such as Ever Quest and so on.

you have the answer here already OP, bioware took the mmo template laid down by everyone else and didn't really improve a great deal in some peoples opinion.

now thats not to say it's a bad game or anything like that but frankly as games go it needs alot of work....and if i'm honest it's not the only game out there thats getting good reviews that falls short of being even remotly good.

is it just me or is everyone just used to crap games when all they have going for them is good graphics and paper thin gameplay? skyrim i'm looking at you...feeling like i was mugged of 30 quid in the street and left with that crap instead.

battlefield 3....didn't bring much to the table..sorry if you like it but frankly it's nothing new.

mw3....oh ffs please some people are far to easily pleased.

swtor has some amazing concepts put to practice but they aren't polished enough for a retail release obviously thats my opinion as is everything i write no facts just opinion.

in all honesty the entire games industry needs a kick in the backside, we went from games that broke the boundaries year on year to the same types of games with shinier graphics year on year instead, i don't know whats wrong with them but it's getting harder and harder to spend money on games.

portal/portal 2 are probably the only original games that i've seen in years where as almost everything else seems to look to older games for insight only to mess up the one thing those older games had going for them....which wasn't graphics, it was the gameplay.

right now most games company's seem to be making games with 2 things in mind, shiney graphics first then paper thin gameplay tacked on afterwards. when a 20 year old game has more depth in the first 30 min of play than most modern games have in their entirety something has gone horribly horribly wrong.

swtor fell into that trap partially which is better than most but they really need to expand this game to use the full feature set that is present in the star wars universe.

edit: my bad i forgot fable...pretty crappy combat system a bit clunky but man is that a fun game.

i wanted to let people know i do like this game really i do and my choice of content in this post is only marginally aimed at swtor, most is not, i was making a point that many games have come out that fall short of being even remotely good....how they get high scores in reveiws is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by Gazzzenn

I'm guessing, I just figured it out.

Let's pretend that BW has dumbest freaking devs in entire universe but it is not the case.

What I'm thinking is that, from high, one very heavy fist fell on to desk with words "I want like that...". Non motivated devs said "Yes ma'am/sir" and started working.

Result is what we see, can't find any better logic for current mess, lack of motivation is only explanation for all happenings. Few more things but I can not put them down here, forum is been monitored from "higher".

Edited by Chaffery