Powertech isn't a ranged tank.

Tanntolas

I chose the Powertech advanced class with the understanding that I'd be a ranged tank. This isn't the case. I have two abilities that require the class to be at melee or close range. If those abilities are ignored I suffer a massive damage and threat output loss. This wouldn't be a big deal if I had the option to respec into a DPS tree and become a ranged DPS. Unfortunately this isn't possible. Even as a DPS, Rocket Punch is too good to not use.

Suggested solutions:

1. Allow advanced class respec
  2. Put talents high in the two DPS trees that enhance Missile Blast to make it favorable over Flame Burst and remove all DPS talents enhancing Rocket Punch making it unfavorable to use in the DPS rotations.
  3. Add talents that make Unload castable while moving so staying in melee range isn't as much of a pain in PvP or fights that require a lot of movement.

Edited by Tanntolas

I'm sorry you feel misled. The whole "ranged tank" thing was parroted on the forums, but if anyone actually took the time to read up on the abilities and examine the talent trees, they'd see how relatively few ranged abilities PT has. That being said, I believe we do have more ways to grab snap aggro and pull from range compared to the other tanks, so if you have your heart set on tanking, you probably won't be satisfied elsewhere.

I chose the Powertech advanced class with the understanding that I'd be a ranged tank. This isn't the case. I have two abilities that require the class to be at melee or close range. If those abilities are ignored I suffer a massive damage and threat output loss. This wouldn't be a big deal if I had the option to respec into a DPS tree and become a ranged DPS. Unfortunately this isn't possible. Even as a DPS, Rocket Punch is too good to not use.

Suggested solutions:

1. Allow advanced class respec
  2. Put talents high in the two DPS trees that enhance Missile Blast to make it favorable over Flame Burst and remove all DPS talents enhancing Rocket Punch making it unfavorable to use in the DPS rotations.
  3. Add talents that make Unload castable while moving so staying in melee range isn't as much of a pain in PvP or fights that require a lot of movement.

You forgot #4: Do some research on the class you choose before you choose it.

Are you saying they should remove the Mercenaries rocket punch knockback skill? No thanks. Powertech gives up ranged in favor of being able to take more hits. They were never a "ranged" tank.

Also I would agree on an AC respec ONLY if it was maybe 2 times maximum so you can try the other AC and if you find out you dont like to respec back.

it's hard to research a lot of the game's aspects. it's just greek even if you are a longtime mmo player.

i look at talent trees for prospective alt classes, and i just don't even know what they really mean. i've been an end-game player for most mmo's since eq1.

just sayin.

by that measure, however, you shouldn't be disappointed, you should just conclude that it's not what you were hoping, i guess? that or temper expectations? idk? heh.

How do we have snap aggro? Granted im no master PT, but my sisters brothers cousins mechanic is and he is the guilds current 50 tank. He complains constantly about the lack of taunt and snap aggro for anything above cannon fodder.

I should append that this was not meant to sound confrontational, I actually want to know how a PT tank gets snap aggro. Flamethrower and sweep seem to generate only moderate aggro from what I have watched. I imagine theres something higher level than me I am not aware of.

How do we have snap aggro? Granted im no master PT, but my sisters brothers cousins mechanic is and he is the guilds current 50 tank. He complains constantly about the lack of taunt and snap aggro for anything above cannon fodder.

I should append that this was not meant to sound confrontational, I actually want to know how a PT tank gets snap aggro. Flamethrower and sweep seem to generate only moderate aggro from what I have watched. I imagine theres something higher level than me I am not aware of.

Sonic Missile, Grapple, Neural Dart all have snap aggro

ISuggested solutions:

1. Add talents that make Unload castable while moving so staying in melee range isn't as much of a pain in PvP or fights that require a lot of movement.

I would LOVE this . . . but to be honest that would be supremely OP'd. I think in order for that to happen Unload would need a significant nerf. Perhaps in the Shieldtech talent tree it could be something like:

Unload damage reduced by 75% ((50%)(25%) depending on talent rank 1, 2 or 3) and will no longer be intrupted by moving.

Do I think this will happen? .. No, even with the damage reduction we has Powertechs already have too many ranged utilities in PvP and Kiting in PvE. If I had a credit for everytime I had to kite an elite mob because I had a stupid PUG group wipe and left me to finish them off...

maybe add 5 yards to flame burst? i would like a bit more "medium" range stuff myself. so far i feel confused. rocket punch is OK and cool street fighter move but i feel my guns and stuff should do more dmg

maybe remove the incapacitated from rail shot? it's already a 15 sec cool down. that would smooth us out a bit.

I have yet to loose aggro on any single target encounter when opening with Grapple, Rocket Punch, and Rail Shot.

Just maintain Rocket Punch and Rail Shot whenever off cooldown with sime minor filler abilities (keeping your heat pips at 3-4 at all times) and you shouldnt ever loose aggro. The only time this gets tricky is if a DPS class significantly outgears you and is pulling before you can attack the mob.

maybe add 5 yards to flame burst? i would like a bit more "medium" range stuff myself. so far i feel confused. rocket punch is OK and cool street fighter move but i feel my guns and stuff should do more dmg

maybe remove the incapacitated from rail shot? it's already a 15 sec cool down. that would smooth us out a bit.

While I would love to add range onto Flame Burst, I think its currend range is sufficent. It is a tool whos primary focus is short ranged damage. I really only use this skill in PvP while strafe fighting people to avoid LOS abilities and spam it for max damage (consulars are so squishy)

Allowing Rail Shot to be used on un-incapacited targets is not even worth it. I am able to use Rail Shot on cooldown in PvE and PvP without a problem with the Grapple/Rocket Punch combo. Also when in a group or warzone most enemies have DoTs on them anyhow so you'll find that Rail Shot is useable even if you havent applied the DoT.

Edited by Dademoor

No one ever said PT is a ranged tank.

Actually I think the term "Ranged Tank" was created by the players. So in part, you are correct, as there is no official record saying that the PT is designed to tank from range (though we can, and do for some fights)

I feel you are attempting to troll this thread, but I will fan the flames a bit and say that there are thousands of posts out there refering to "Ranged Tanks" and when a term is repeted that often it tends to catch on. Eventually it will die down and people will realize that to maximize potential as a PT in a tanking role you must be in melee range (with few exceptions)

Thanks for the replies, still fairly early in my career but I want to know how to tank asap so I can get practicing :)

I seem to have a serious issue knowing when my Rail is going to come up, wish it wasn't on the GCD as I tend to hit something the very second I notice it up and it's no longer up afterwards.

Thanks for the replies, still fairly early in my career but I want to know how to tank asap so I can get practicing :)

I seem to have a serious issue knowing when my Rail is going to come up, wish it wasn't on the GCD as I tend to hit something the very second I notice it up and it's no longer up afterwards.

Macros are your friend. Learn to use autohotkey or buy a macro keyboard.

I've found very little wrong with PT tanking. I have great mitigation. I can aoe tank like a boss, and I can snap aggro easily with ranged taunts, grapple or jet charge followed up with rocket punch and rail shot. I don't know why people complain so damned much, just learn how to work with your abilities instead of expecting them to work the way you want to.

Pardon me, but can't you maintain aggro while kiting around? Myself I'm a merc, but whenever I end up getting targeted(which happens a lot from me doing both dps and healing) I just kite around while pew-pewing default ranged attacks along with other basic mobile powers. I mean sure-it's not the best option, but that way I get hit more rarely than if I stay entrenched and get all the hits in my face.

Can't PT do the same? I mean we all have the same maximum range.

Pardon me, but can't you maintain aggro while kiting around? Myself I'm a merc, but whenever I end up getting targeted(which happens a lot from me doing both dps and healing) I just kite around while pew-pewing default ranged attacks along with other basic mobile powers. I mean sure-it's not the best option, but that way I get hit more rarely than if I stay entrenched and get all the hits in my face.

Can't PT do the same? I mean we all have the same maximum range.

As powertech I say, yes you can, but this is stupid waste of time, most powertech attack is in close range, and if you want to be effective you must stay as close to your target as possible.

I disagree to some extend. PT is a melee Tank. But with some flexibility to go into (mid)-range when needed.

Lots of ranged Bosses or Mobs tend to have melee knockbacks or aoe. As a PT tank i can tank at max Flame Burst range and time "run in and Rocket Punch and run out" to hit in between the melee aoe or knockbacks. I think this is a highly underrated advantage we have over other tanks.

And we can unload -> railshot on ranged targets to keep aggro from the healers.

I for one really love the versatility it brings to the class to be able to tank at close to mid range.

Even tho you still need to use Rocket Punch to keep aggro on the main target, since all our important aggro spells are instant, we have some room to move around and use range to our advantage.

I was never under the impression that PT was a ranged tank. Going on the in game descriptive information it is clear that PT is a in your face tank with a few ranged options. That being said, I've never had so much fun in PvP. :D I love screwing with the other team in huttball as a shield tech.

Oh, you are on our BC? I'll tank him, throw taunts on all of ya, and drop DR/Accuracy debuffs on you all.

Oh, you think you are gonna score? Well how about I just stun you in the middle of the fire. Why don't I just sneak up to the edge of that ledge im on and nail you with my grapple to drop you in the pit.

Oh, you think you are gonna knock ME off the ledge? Pffft, Jet Charge... every 15 seconds.

Yeah post up on your end zone so I can Jet Charge ftw. Aww whats-a-matter? Can't kill me fast enough with my shield and kolto running?

Massive amounts of options and decent DPS. PT shield tech is the ultimate team player.

I think you are misled by the term "Ranged Tank". In theory such a class can not exist for the simple fact that most mobs will run up to you regardless. I believe the idea of being a "ranged tank" stems from the fact that a Bounty Hunter uses ranged weapons as opposed to melee weapons. A Bounty Hunter has several "ranged" abilties but no ability requires you to be at a distance. In essence you can use all of your ranged abilities at melee range.

The good thing about having ranged weapons and abilities is that you have more tools to deal with loose mobs or fights that require a lot of movement. It definately has it's own unique mechanic. I've only played a bodyguard mercenary but I find myself doing a lot of up close fighting while I solo mission. I'm assuming that our sister tree is similiar in nature.

Edited by Gyromite