If you've played WoW extensively...

JediMasterShake

Rofl. I knew the self-proclaimed "MMO-Experts" Would show up eventually.

Go back to WoW, thanks.

No where in my post did I say I was a "MMO-Expert".

Edit: Rather just report you.

Edited by Tiaa

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you even think the combat is as fluid as in wow ? It's not even anywhere close to it, and gameplay is the number one factor to determine if playing a game is enjoyable. I've now done most hard modes on my main, and I find it a painful experience to engage in combat after combat with unresponsive controls and clunky abilities.

In wow (and in LoL) you are in control of your character in a much more profound way than in SWTOR. Most of the time I feel like it doesn't really matter if I push the right button, I'll just do a little more or a little less damage and it will rarely have an impact.

And I'm not just talking about what skills and talents do (or more accurately don't do), but in general the game just isn't very smooth.

This guy played a mage.

Mad because you can't take 50% of someones hp by the press of a button?

I've been playing WoW since 2004 and I can tell you that SWTOR doesn't come close to the smoothness of gameplay that WoW has. SWTOR has a high production quality, however, there is a very annoying delay in ability activation at times which is a big problem for PVP. In addition, the manual (point and click) targeting system in WoW is far more accurate than SWTOR.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the strict camera functionality and targeting system in SWTOR. These are issues that can be resolved in future patches so I'm not worried. The ability activation delay however, will make or break this game for me. My performance in PVP is negatively affected. My character simply does not respond accuratley to my input commands.

I've played WoW on and off since closed beta and if I were to be honest, TOR's character and combat responsiveness is a lot worse than WoW's.

There is a huge post with videos on these forums outlining the problems of combat responsiveness, so I'm not going to get into that aspect but one only has to look at how horrible jumping is in this game to see how unresponsive controls are. If anyone has ever tried to get to a datacron that requires jumping, like the one or Nar Shaddaa, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Half of the time when you press space + w, if you do it too fast, your character just sort of shuffles forward and falls off the ledge instead of jumping.

Slightly worse. I played WoW since vanilla and even then it had a better combat feeling than SWTOR. The game is fun, the story is great, but there was alot of things missed. Truthfully, I didn't expect the game this soon so I think it's a tradeoff some things are super awesome and others are super bad. Give the game time to grow and it'll be a polished gem, right now it's still very rough around the edges in need of serious attention if it hopes to survive.

Pros:

Great story. Amazing way of questing (I actually care about quest). Efficient leveling (WoW was really bad at this at first). Not as cartoony as WoW. It's Star Wars enough said lol.

Cons

The abysmal market (auction house). It's almost so bad it would be better if it didn't exist and we were forced to use trade chat. The high res textures aren't enabled/fixed. The delayed responsiveness of combat. No LFD tool, furthering that the seeming disinterest by the community. Damage meters of some kind, I'd accept a simple battle log lol. Shards and the lack of a true MMO feel they provide. A very disappointing first patch; makes me question what the future holds if they couldn't even fix the commendations that show up as inventory items.

It's lightyears ahead of WoW's combat at launch.

The GCD issue makes it slightly worse than WoW today (i.e. after 7+ years of updates/expansions/hotfixes)

As someone that was playing WoW from launch until Dec 13th, TOR's combat is solid. There's CC for those that care to USE it.

It's hard for me to know if a healing spec is doing more DPS than a pure dps spec or if a tank spec can do more dps than another tank spec...etc since we don't have meters of any kind.

But it's launch. It's barely been a week since the game went live. I have to be patient.

I played WoW since day 1 when it opened back in 2004. Content and features was certainly lacking at that point, but one thing you can say for sure about blizz is that their mechanics are very solid and polished.

The combat in this game feels just plain awkward. I've been trying to figure out why since launch, and then Xcore in the 200 some odd page thread nailed it. The timings all seem slightly off. The animations, cooldowns, and actual spell cast don't seem to match up and it creates a huge disconnect between the avatar and the player. This is by far the biggest issue for me, glitches and bugs can be patched pretty easily. But when the actual gameplay or core mechanics are off, everything in the game suffers.

Another smaller issue about the combat for me is that there's too much too fast. I'm level 18 and I've had over two pages of spells for quite some time, and most of them are on rank 5. It's almost too confusing to figure out a good rotation, or what the best possible command is at the time, cause I'm not comfortable enough with any one of my abilities to know what's best. Also, what's with aoe's not showing their actual area of effect? I use my bounty hunter's aoe and it's really just a best guess as to where the damage will actually land.

Like I said for me the biggest issue is the timings and awkward combat, but add a few other smaller combat issues in the mix and the whole thing just feels clunky and not polished, and frankly not fun to play for me. Which is keeping me from really getting into this game.

I don't want to sound like a WoW fanboy or that I'm just looking for faults with swtor, I really really want this game to live up to it's potential and I'll keep playing for a while longer to see if the combat gets ironed out. And I really don't see how anyone who has played WoW can say that the combat of swtor is on par.

Anyways, just my two cents. Hope it's fixed.

2 yrs SWG

6 yrs WOW

1 yr EVE

Game Launch vs those 3, SWTOR wins (WoW was a decent game 6 months to 1 yr into its development cycle)

Space game - wins against WoW (2 dimensional game there) but gets destroyed by SWG and EVE i cant mention because its just a ridiculously complicated game of awesomeness.

Crafting - better than WoW, MUCH crappier than SWG, EVE crafting is a lot more complex and better thought out

Economy - There is none currently.

Gameplay (actions) - sluggish. Ability activation vs animation are delayed by 1-3 seconds, i have no idea WHEN an ability i activated starts or when its done. No battle log to know what it is im doing during fights or how to improve.

UI - no comment

GTN - needs modification to the search functions but its on solid ground otherwise.

Edited by Tremk

The delay is a technical issue, not an intended mechanic - which means it''ll be fixd. So far that's the only thing people have been complaining about. How can 1 technical issue decide that one game is better than the other? Give BioWare a chance to improve their game?

I played WoW in Vanilla, and let me tell you: it was horrible compared to what games are made of these days. I know the time back then was different, but my point is every game aint perfect right off the bat.

Now you may ask: What about Rift, LoTRO and so on. We gave them time but the games remained BS.

Star Wars has got such a potential, and the Devs behind the other games weren't the best out there, and their skill level was way behind the skill of BioWare. Guy's we're talking about BioWare - a company which has even beaten Blizzard in terms of popularity among their games.

Skilled developers such as BioWare would never sit back passively, not fixing the issues - nor would they make crucial wrong decisions (like Rift only turning to PvE).

Personally I hope and believe that BioWare is able to maintain balance between PvE and PvP - which would make the game superior to WoW (don't give me that "arena bla bla bla" folks. Remember that arena hasn't been an eSport since WoTLK). Blizzard has been watching passively through Cataclysm, as people cried for nerfs to those OP frost mages, and also begging Blizzard for an ability system, where abilities did one thing in PvE content and another in PvP - a feature which would be very easily implemented and would grant Blizzard a lot of subscribers.

I don't think BioWare would do a mistake like that.

I think it makes definite improvements over wow in quests and atmosphere, but it also fails badly in areas in which WoW failed, namely crafting and economy.

It also fails in the fact that its really a single player campaign in which everyone plays all at once. I have little love for the serial quest system in which everyone is THE hero and long after you have completed the quests the map locations are still locked in some death duel with myriad interlopers.

MMOs need a more open ended format in which the players are not bound by fixed story arcs but where they create the challenges and the game becomes its own organism. If you want an example go try EVE Online.

Combat ranges from sluggish to horrific, relative to WoW. I've been in an untold number of situations where I have to hammer my Mind Snap key several times to activate, and other times where I'm hammering my DPS abilities, with ample resources, and it takes forever for the attacks to go off. It feels akin to Warhammer Online.

They really need to work on the control responsiveness. That kind of quality, crisp control should not be an afterthought in this day and age of game design.

Edited by Bibdy