PT what are all the Utilities I need for max speed

Icykill_

What are all the Utilities I need to use for max speed on a PT, forget optimal utilities, just speed as this is an academic exercise I wish to test in pvp.

Sure! You're looking for:

Iron Will (skillful) so you can use HO more often.

Pneumatic Boots (masterful) +15% movement speed

Torque Boosters (heroic) +4 seconds to HO, total of 10 seconds.

Overdrive (legendry) +45% more movement speed while HO is active.

Battering Ram from the legendry tier does not have any speed boosts, but it lets you use your jet charge a bit more. Personally, I don't like it very much and think it rather gimmicky.

Adaptable Assailtant from heroic can be used to buff your teammates for node switching, but it won't help you personally.

I highly recommend taking Efficient Suit in the heroic tier instead of AA, because it gives you a second stun break on KO and you will probably appreciate it if you're going to do what I think you are going to do.

All other utilities don't provide a direct mobility benefit, but I'd take Guard cannon and slows/stun duration increases to help you move "relatively" faster.

Good luck in your experimentation!

What are all the Utilities I need to use for max speed on a PT, forget optimal utilities, just speed as this is an academic exercise I wish to test in pvp.

So your in-game utilities have no descriptions I guess? If you can make a thread and wait for a response...

Battering Ram from the legendry tier does not have any speed boosts, but it lets you use your jet charge a bit more. Personally, I don't like it very much and think it rather gimmicky.

Adaptable Assailtant from heroic can be used to buff your teammates for node switching, but it won't help you personally.

I highly recommend taking Efficient Suit in the heroic tier instead of AA, because it gives you a second stun break on KO and you will probably appreciate it if you're going to do what I think you are going to do.

All other utilities don't provide a direct mobility benefit, but I'd take Guard cannon and slows/stun duration increases to help you move "relatively" faster.

Thatnkyou heaps for your answer. I'll try it out later today

Are those speed boosts cumulative based on the base speed or added as a percentage off the speed boosts as they increase

Ie. base speed + 30% HO = 130 % + 15% = 145% + 45% = 190% of base speed

or base speed + 30% x 15% x 45% = 167% of base speed

Edited by Icykill_

Are those speed boosts cumulative based on the base speed or added as a percentage off the speed boosts as they increase

I believe its cumulative like most boosts in SWTOR but don't quote me on it.

speed boosts are additive, not multiplicative

just imagine PTs with hydros up, or sorcs force speeding catching a pred lol

Edited by yellow_

speed boosts are additive, not multiplicative

just imagine PTs with hydros up, or sorcs force speeding catching a pred lol

So what you're saying is with full speed utilities and HO on, they will do 190% of base speed?

So what you're saying is with full speed utilities and HO on, they will do 190% of base speed?

Your final speed will only take into account your largest buff. For example, if you have a +15% movement speed buff and a +50% movement speed buff, you will move 50% faster, not 65% faster. A good way to test this is to get a friend, have him just have sprint on, and you have sprint and a standard hydraulic overrides (not buffed by utilities) and have a race. You will both move at the same speed since hydraulic overrides (+30%) is not faster than sprint (+35%). So sprint takes precident.

Your final speed will only take into account your largest buff. For example, if you have a +15% movement speed buff and a +50% movement speed buff, you will move 50% faster, not 65% faster. A good way to test this is to get a friend, have him just have sprint on, and you have sprint and a standard hydraulic overrides (not buffed by utilities) and have a race. You will both move at the same speed since hydraulic overrides (+30%) is not faster than sprint (+35%). So sprint takes precident.

I understand what you're saying, but doesn't that mean that the 15% utility is essentially a wasted utility?

I understand what you're saying, but doesn't that mean that the 15% utility is essentially a wasted utility?

No because I'm combat, you won't have sprint (obviously) and most of the time you won't have hydraulic overrides up, so unless a mara or another class with a group speed buff speeds you up, that 15% will help. Where it really shines is when you are chasing someone who doesn't have that buff and they just can't outrun you unless they blow a speed cd. On the flip side if you don't have it, you will notice it is harder to keep up with some of the people that do.

No because I'm combat, you won't have sprint (obviously) and most of the time you won't have hydraulic overrides up, so unless a mara or another class with a group speed buff speeds you up, that 15% will help. Where it really shines is when you are chasing someone who doesn't have that buff and they just can't outrun you unless they blow a speed cd. On the flip side if you don't have it, you will notice it is harder to keep up with some of the people that do.

Ok, my head officially hurts, stupid head cold and Med's, I'm just not getting what you mean for some reason. Sorry for being excessively blonde this morning.

What is my total speed buff when I use HO if I pick these utilities and how do they stack onto the 30% speed buff that HO gives you.

When I read the descriptions in the utility's it seems it could go 2-3 ways

You have your base speed with sprint on, we'll call that 100%

You add Pneumatic Boots (masterful) +15% movement speed, which increases the base speed to 115%, as your standard run around speed without HO

Ok this next bit is what seems vague to me.

When you apply HO, do you get 30% more speed of the 100% or the 115%?

If you pick Overdrive (legendry) +45% more movement speed while HO is active. Does that give you 45% onto of the 30% for HO or does it turn the 30% into 45%?

Depending on the answers the total speed under HO could go a few different ways

1. HO ignores the Pneumatic Boots and gives you 130% when activated, but then ignores the 130% if Overdrive is selected and essentially gives you 145% when using HO

2. HO doesn't ignore Pneumatic Boots and gives you 145% when activated, but then ignores the 145% if Overdrive is selected and essentially gives you 160% when using HO

3. HO doesn't ignore any of the utilities and collects them all to give you 15% PB + 45% OD = 60% (160% total speed) then adds 30% ((HO) of 160%, giving you 178% total speed when HO is activated

So which is it?

4. None of the above.

Sorry for being dense 😐

Edited by Icykill_

Ok, my head officially hurts, stupid head cold and Med's, I'm just not getting what you mean for some reason. Sorry for being excessively blonde this morning.

What is my total speed buff when I use HO if I pick these utilities and how do they stack onto the 30% speed buff that HO gives you.

When I read the descriptions in the utility's it seems it could go 2-3 ways

You have your base speed with sprint on, we'll call that 100%

You add Pneumatic Boots (masterful) +15% movement speed, which increases the base speed to 115%, as your standard run around speed without HO

Ok this next bit is what seems vague to me.

When you apply HO, do you get 30% more speed of the 100% or the 115%?

If you pick Overdrive (legendry) +45% more movement speed while HO is active. Does that give you 45% onto of the 30% for HO or does it turn the 30% into 45%?

Depending on the answers the total speed under HO could go a few different ways

1. HO ignores the Pneumatic Boots and gives you 130% when activated, but then ignores the 130% if Overdrive is selected and essentially gives you 145% when using HO

2. HO doesn't ignore Pneumatic Boots and gives you 145% when activated, but then ignores the 145% if Overdrive is selected and essentially gives you 160% when using HO

3. HO doesn't ignore any of the utilities and collects them all to give you 15% PB + 45% OD = 60% (160% total speed) then adds 30% ((HO) of 160%, giving you 178% total speed when HO is activated

So which is it?

4. None of the above.

Sorry for being dense 😐

It is 4 (almost 1), although I'm glad you're actually trying to learn this, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. And don't worry about not getting everything immediately, I don't remember how long it took me to learn what I know about this game.

So whatever your highest movement speed ability is on added to the base movement speed which we will call 100% (this is without sprint). Let's run through some examples.

When you have sprint on, you have 135% movement speed, so using a non-buffed HO will do nothing to speed you when running between nodes out of combat as that is only a 30% movement speed so ONLY the 35% movement speed increase from sprint will be applied.

When you take the Pneumatic Boots utility, that turns your movement speed while in combat to 115% instead of 100% base. This is really good for sticking onto ranged and kiting other melee that don't have this utility. Keeping at 4-10 meter ranged against most melee is really good since their most powerful attack require under 4m range.

The Overdrives utility just takes the 30% increase from HO and adds 45% to it, making HO a 75% movement speed increase.

When you take Pneumatic Boots and hit HO (lets use no overdrives utility for this example), HO will take precedent and your movement speed will be 130%.

I think I've gone through everything, if you're still confused I can try to go over any example in more detail.

It is 4 (almost 1), although I'm glad you're actually trying to learn this, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. And don't worry about not getting everything immediately, I don't remember how long it took me to learn what I know about this game.

So whatever your highest movement speed ability is on added to the base movement speed which we will call 100% (this is without sprint). Let's run through some examples.

When you have sprint on, you have 135% movement speed, so using a non-buffed HO will do nothing to speed you when running between nodes out of combat as that is only a 30% movement speed so ONLY the 35% movement speed increase from sprint will be applied.

When you take the Pneumatic Boots utility, that turns your movement speed while in combat to 115% instead of 100% base. This is really good for sticking onto ranged and kiting other melee that don't have this utility. Keeping at 4-10 meter ranged against most melee is really good since their most powerful attack require under 4m range.

The Overdrives utility just takes the 30% increase from HO and adds 45% to it, making HO a 75% movement speed increase.

When you take Pneumatic Boots and hit HO (lets use no overdrives utility for this example), HO will take precedent and your movement speed will be 130%.

I think I've gone through everything, if you're still confused I can try to go over any example in more detail.

Thanks for that. PTs are the only class out I've my 30+ toons I've never really liked. Before some of the changes I at least knew most of what they did, but in the last 9 months or so I've lost track of few things because I hardly play them.

So I've decided to pull one off the shelf and update my knowledge as I'm seeing some PTs that are running so fast it seemed impossible under normal game conditions. Now they I've got my head around all these speed boosts, which seem a bit over the top, I'll practice a bit so I can work out some tactics to counter them on my other classes. But I still don't really like them, so I expect l'll be putting her back on the shelf as soon as I've got what I need.