Alternative Legacy Galactic Command Ranks

IshtarScorpio

I know Bioware is resistant to creating a legacy wide Galactic Command rank, as it would make gaining high end gear silly easy. But in doing so, you make the grind for players with multiple characters a daunting task. Working a full time job, yet grinding every day since the inception of GC, I just managed to get one character to level 300 this week. I have two other characters in the 40s, but the whole time I devoted all my efforts to ONE character ever since launch, the very opposite of a game that encourages alts (DvL?).

So I propose an alternative legacy wide system that would still require significant effort, but not be a death grind to players with a large number of characters. It is simple:

Set the legacy by class. That would mean that we would have to get 8 classes to level 300, and any character that you played, gaining Cxp, would contribute towards that amount. That way it isn't a matter of grind one character to 300 and everyone get tier 4, instead we would have to grind 8 characters to 300. Surely that is enough of a grind for anyone, and it allows us to play multiple versions of the same class (Sniper one day, Operative the next).

2400 levels should be more then enough for Bioware to think we have put in the proper amount of grinding for reward, while allowing us to choose a broader array of our characters to play. Otherwise, why have the character limits so high if you don't want us playing them? A player with 20 characters is looking at 6000 levels of grind. And you know as well as I do, long before they ever get close to that, 6.0 is going to come out and possibly throw everything out the window.

So let's compromise. Give us a class based legacy leveling scheme and allow us to advance multiple accounts with a near insurmountable grind we now face.

While I don't want to endorse this specific idea, something definitely needs to be done about CXP. The current system is punitive to players who have a lot of characters. I have 3 at Command Rank 78, and that's through a LOT of grinding and taking advantage of the current 250% bonus on CXP. Almost all of my other alts are below rank 20. Maybe the solution is to make the current 250% bonus permanent, but even that doesn't go far enough. The vast majority of alts would still be languishing at lvl 228/230 gear.

Another thought would be to make the tiers faction-wide within your legacy. e.g. if you get a knight to tier 2, all other Republic classes get bumped up to tier 2, once they reach level 70.

Another would be to apply generous bonuses to CXP generation for every alt that has earned CXP in the last week: e.g. plus 50% cxp for every character in your legacy (beyond one) who has earned a certain amount (to prevent people from getting the bonus by simply killing a PVE champion) of cxp in the last 7 days. So if you had gotten the requisite amount of cxp with 10 different alts in the last 7 days, you would be getting 450% cxp (9 alts beyond the one, times 50%). This would stack really generously and would reward devoted players.

I'm just spitballing here, and I'm not sure these are the best possible solutions, but improvements need to be made.

Edited by Hraken

I would like to see something along those lines maybe with the base class type once you get say 300 on a bounty hunter aka merc,pt then all of your max level bounty hunters and vanguard,commandos are automatic at rank 300 so you can jump onto that toon and start grinding at 300 since it was unlocked on the main toon.

So under each persons legacy they can add a GC legend system say each time you hit 100, 200, 300 it will unlock for the base class characters on the account not server so this means you really only have to level 4 base toons to 300 because the other 4 are mirror classes.

I wouldn't want that. It would still be worse than lowering the total effort to max. a specific, single character. I mean, why should switching to another toon of the same base class be less annoying than switching to a toon of a different class? That would even allow players to create countless characters of the same spec in order to bypass weekly limits.

So given the choice between hefty global achievements // reputation and hassle-free personal ones, I'd always choose the latter.

Edited by realleaftea

I understand what you are saying and why. I have hundreds of characters though and personally I hope it does not become legacy wide. To me, if you like playing multiple character as I do, I feel I should put the effort into playing them. Though I appreciate that you do say effort would still be needed.

I can just rip out any mods from set gear I get twice or more times then put in legacy gear. If after a while I don't get the gear I need in drops for my alts, I have the option to use the legacy gear. Still as said I can see why what I do won't suit all. We will see if BW changes it in a future patch

Edited by DreadtechSavant