Weird "lag" in PvP

Darqu

It might be related to the current patchlevel.

I'm on cable, 100/5 mbit/s. low latency, capable router.

I never had this in this game before.

Ever since today, now that I'm no longer bottom feeder all the time,

I'm starting to get lag.

I suspect cheating to be honest. Why cheating? Because it only happens in PvP.

But it might be something that was introduced with this patch.

The lag is like a disconnection but after about 5 seconds all the packets that were supposed to reach you all come at once and sync up with the rest of the game.

I don't have wireshark or similar packet capture software related installed to have proof, but I might if this goes on.

My question to fellow players is have you also noticed those weird lag spikes?

Edited by Darqu

I'm starting to get lag.

The lag is like a disconnection but after about 5 seconds all the packets that were supposed to reach you all come at once and sync up with the rest of the game.

I don't have wireshark or similar packet capture software related installed to have proof, but I might if this goes on.

Honestly, considering how ridiculous it is to gear now through pvp, i wouldnt doubt if people were starting to stand by or lag switch. And yes it is 100% possible on a dedicated server, people have been doing it on pvp games for over a decade now. I remember this kind of stuff in gears of war way back, and this is far too similar. Our whole team will lag and walk in spot for a good 30 seconds, and then after it stops, we will all be dead and the enemy team will be jumping around like idiots. Normal lag spikes and stand bying / lag switching are pretty easy to tell apart.

I'm starting to get lag.

It's not the patch, it was happening before it.

Are there particular maps its worse for You or is it all maps.

No. This is not your traditional lag. This is your team only freezes in place, and then you unfreeze and your whole team is dead, and onyl your team experienced the lag. I have experienced this before, like I said, this is not normal lag. It is more complicated to do with dedicated servers, but it is 100% possible, and considering how bad the disparity is for rewards between winning and losing, expect it to happen more often.

And this is EXACTLY what I am seeing in this game atm.

Edited by mmmbuddah

I'm starting to get lag.

You know what!? What you're describing is exactly my experience as well. My initial advice to you and all others with this experience, and what I'm currently doing at every occurrence, is to first do a ingame Bug Report;

<Server name>

<Warzone name>

<Time/appropriate time zone/Europe in GMT>

<Describe problem>

I would even suggest You all to urge your fellow WZ participants to do the same if they get the same experience.

Why a Bug Report and not a "Hack Flag" ticket, very simple really, the problem is there, the Devs need to get aware of it, and IF this Lag is player induced the technicians surely will discover it.

Yeah, Yeah I know:rolleyes: "The devs don't listen" song:eek: Well we might not think that they take the appropriate action if such is the case. But I can say action most often is taken IF the Ticket is correct given AND rant free:cool:

Edited by t-darko

I've experienced it in the Arenas. My frame rates don't dip below 45 fps even when this is happening. Usually one or two team mates (possibly including myself) are dead before the game "unstucks." I've had occassions where skills don't get invoked for several GCDs and then they're grey because I'm dead or stunned.

Of course, no way for me to tell definitively that there is no issue with the server or some such thing.

I've experienced it in the Arenas. My frame rates don't dip below 45 fps even when this is happening. Usually one or two team mates (possibly including myself) are dead before the game "unstucks." I've had occassions where skills don't get invoked for several GCDs and then they're grey because I'm dead or stunned.

Of course, no way for me to tell definitively that there is no issue with the server or some such thing.

Thats the thing, im only seeing it in arenas as well. If it were server related it would be in warzones as well. It is clear as day for me that this is player induced, and should be for anyone else that ever experienced this in other pvp games.

It happened 2 times so far (didn't play today, much work)

1st time I don't remember which zone it was,

2nd time was in... The Ancient Hypergate

Playing merc, at the enemy pylon, about 3 hitting on me and I got lucky that all my stuff was up,

so I was essentially immortal and then all of a sudden, everything stopped.

"Great, linkdead, no wait this happend before, today, let's wait and see"

A few seconds later, dead, pylon captured, enemy elsewhere.

No. This is not your traditional lag. This is your team only freezes in place, and then you unfreeze and your whole team is dead, and onyl your team experienced the lag. I have experienced this before, like I said, this is not normal lag. It is more complicated to do with dedicated servers, but it is 100% possible, and considering how bad the disparity is for rewards between winning and losing, expect it to happen more often.

And this is EXACTLY what I am seeing in this game atm.

Ok, then that's a form of lag switching and they are doing it badly. It's so bad that I would say they are on the cusp of DCing themselves. Also, if it was your whole team and not just you fighting certain other people away from the group, then it's a good chance the switcher was on your team and not the other.

People who cheat like that don't realise they can also affect their own team and it can be extremely detrimental. ie someone is capping and they try to switch so they can stop the cap, but in reality it stops your team from interrupting the capper in a ledgitmate way. This often results in the capper capturing it while being hit. Then the poor capper who did nothing gets accused of cheating.

Guys, you're confusing the weird/****** game's Engine with lag.

This is a 2008 engine trying to run with 2014(??) graphics, it lags as **** if you're near other players running around and using skills.

Its not cheating its just a ****** engine. If this game had an engine update like WoW did it would be run at 60fps even on a potato

It's the game engine. Lag and desync happen constantly in PvP and is exasperated when a play moves along the Z axis.

The best example I can think of to highlight this is to watch an operative roll off a ledge like the top platform in huttball. For a couple of seconds, the game will have a seizure and display them jumping all over the place before eventually showing them about 10 meters away from where it was just showing them.

I've been accused of hacking hundreds of times and it's either the person accusing me being stupid or the game engine doing this stupid stuff.

Despite what the deniers will try to tell you, there are absolutely people who use lag switches and hacks in the game. (Just google the subject, there's all kinds of forums/pages/tools out there you can get if you're so inclined.) That happens with every game out there, it's not unique to SWTOR. IMO, it seems to be more prevalent each passing month/year as I suspect the company can't or wont throw resources at combating it - frankly its a never ending cycle, so why would you. My observation is you get more of it the first day of the weekly restarts i.e. people jump in, get their quota fast, and a couple days later it's down to 'normal' levels.

That said, I have also observed that every time there's a patch of any sort there is a period of what I'd call ability delay i.e. not full on lag, but abilities don't fire when they should, or don't even register when you click/press. This usually clears up after a couple days.

Guys, you're confusing the weird/****** game's Engine with lag.

This is a 2008 engine trying to run with 2014(??) graphics, it lags as **** if you're near other players running around and using skills.

Its not cheating its just a ****** engine. If this game had an engine update like WoW did it would be run at 60fps even on a potato

If it were just me, or one of the people on my team, then I would agree, but it is usually my entire team, and then when we are able to move again, we are all dead, and the whole enemy team is jumping around emote laughing at us. It is pretty blatent.

If it were just me, or one of the people on my team, then I would agree, but it is usually my entire team, and then when we are able to move again, we are all dead, and the whole enemy team is jumping around emote laughing at us. It is pretty blatent.

The engine is a factor in actually allowing them to do it. But it also disguises their behaviour because people always fall back on that excuse.

If the engine was better and Bioware made even the smallest effort to stop cheating in this game, this would be a rarely seen problem.

Cheating in different forms in this game has been happening from beta. For many years people denied it, especially those cheating and wanting to deflect the issue by trying to discredit ledgitmate concerns. Until JeeZee started to blantantly hack in Ranked a few seasons ago, the issue was swept under the carpet because "Ranked" is the only proper pvp in this game :rolleyes:. That's if you believe the elitists and some of those guys are cheats themselves.

What hasn't helped over the years is people who call out hackcusations that are false. Most cheat accusations are from people who don't understand the class abilities, game bugs, map dynamics or even what is possible when it comes to cheating. All that has done is empower the cheats and deniers to troll anyone who even brings up the topic. It has also promoted misinformation and seeded doubt into the game population. People who don't know any better or don't research it are often drawn in by this misinformation as being 100% true. Then they spread that misinformation themselves.

I've been an avid anti hack/cheat campaign in this game for 5 years. I've been trolled and had people try and discredit me. It got so bad I had to rename most of my characters. But I don't get deterred by that and have been very vocal in demanding Bioware do something and also to try and educate people who often fight over it, but often don't understand it themselves.

What many back then didn't know was that I work in the technical side of the IT industry doing networking and security. I already belonged to many underground hacking forums (not gaming ones) so I could research new risks and learn as much as I could. It was easy for me to expand that to game cheating forums. Over the years I've done extensive research and probably know more about how it works than the cheaters themselves. Most cheaters use other people's work and just copy it. They have no real understand of how it works or what goes into it. Even they get confused as to what is possible and what isn't, lol. I've seen some of them ask the most stupid things in those closed cheat forums.

The point I'm trying to make here is identifying a cheat is not always black and white as it could be lag or a lack of understanding of the game. Defining what the cheat is and why it works isn't always a simple answer like "it's the game engine".

Lots of people will be quick to say that they've never seen a cheat in this game so they don't exist or are extremely rare. These people are either extremely lucky or couldn't spot a cheat if it walked right past them. It's not their fault because good cheaters are hard to spot. There are way more cheaters In this game than people can identify. To cheat and get away with it means you want to do it undetected so you don't get found out. If all cheaters blantantly stood out so everyone could spot them, it would defeat the purpose. People would troll them as needing a crutch to play and the cheaters would lose their reputation as being good players.

When most people see someone cheating it's because it blatantly stands out. Those cheaters are not only bad players but they are also bad at setting up and implementing the cheat to start with. This is what you saw with the lag switching. It was done so poorly that I'm actually surprised the person doing it didn't end up disconnecting themselves.

I'll end this post with a disclaimer. I don't expect people to just believe what I say because believing with out really knowing is how misinformation is spread. So anyone who wants to understand the subject should research it themselves. Just don't believe the first thing you Google. Go and find corroborating sources or sites that gain no monetary reward in the form of selling cheats or promoting them.

For anyone who thinks they see a cheat or suspects they do, you should report them. Here is a link on how to report - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=904834&highlight=Report+cheating

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.